Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Gerrard

Arcane
What happened to Tribes?
Shitty community didn't know what they wanted so shitty devs got tired of wasting money in trying to please them, especially since they found success with Smite.
They are doing some "balance" changes currently, but it's not going to save the game as it has even less casual appeal now than it did 3 years ago (Losing 10 games in a row because of team stacking was nothing out of the ordinary, even adding the server browser did not help much, because you can only join the team that has less players. Guess which team usually has less players, the one that is winning or losing?), 2 people on one team on voice chat can pretty much ruin the game for everyone else.
And here is barely anyone even playing on the test servers.

KK1001

Arbiter
Okay, I got into the free beta weekend and decided to try this game out. Played it for about 5 or 6 hours.

Yeah, this doesn't have any legs. The mechanics are simple, there's very little depth, and the actual gameplay itself is a semi-floaty clusterfuck.

I haven't played it but I would doubt Blizzard has missed the ball completely with gameplay responsiveness; however, the game having no legs and being an uninspired casual shitshow is modern Blizzard in a nutshell.

Norfleet

Remember when I said their next IP would be a F2P cash cow with microtransactions? Yep... This is probably what they salvaged from Titan and made into their own TF2. Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch... anyone seeing a pattern? Copy existing F2P games and just slap a coat of Blizz-paint on them.
This is different from every Blizzard game, ever? This is how Blizzard makes EVERY game, find an existing item and slap a coat of Blizzard polish on it.

abija

Prophet
Well atm is b2p with very probable microtransactions so you were wrong there.

On that subject, I can't find anything saying that Battleborn (the Gearbox game) will be f2p, but at least seems cheaper.
And there's also https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/ which might be a similar game.

Shitty community didn't know what they wanted so shitty devs got tired of wasting money in trying to please them
That applies to most gaming communities, not an excuse. The community actually forgave a lot of shit from their inexperienced devs, problem was they wanted to milk the franchise not to make a good game and when Smite gave more milk they dumped Tribes without thinking twice.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I didn't think even they had the balls to combine B2P with microtransactions for a game that's inferior to ones conceived nearly a decade ago.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Remember when I said their next IP would be a F2P cash cow with microtransactions? Yep... This is probably what they salvaged from Titan and made into their own TF2. Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch... anyone seeing a pattern? Copy existing F2P games and just slap a coat of Blizz-paint on them.
This is different from every Blizzard game, ever? This is how Blizzard makes EVERY game, find an existing item and slap a coat of Blizzard polish on it.

The coat of paint used to be good though.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Jesus so much animu bullshit,looks like MOBA in fps i'm getting too old for this shit.

abija

Prophet
Game copies most of TF2 but because it has ultimates it's more similar to dota/lol.
GREAT LOGIC RIGHT THERE! NEW BRAND OF TEAM BASED FPS!

Are people legitimately this dumb or do they get guidelines from PR departments?

uaciaut

Augur
WoW is a full-priced game with subscriptions and also has had micro-transactions for years. They aren't really stepping into risky new territory here.

That said, this game has such F2P look about it that I don't know how accepting of that people will be.

They'll probably do this:
They can always go f2p later when the sales dry up, and give previous buyers a special tag or a skin to shut them up.

There's no reason for them to start off directly as F2P since there's not much direct competition yet to threaten to affect their sales heavily. TF2 isn't that popular anymore and CS:GO is a bit of a different genre.

They've managed to give away so many beta keys to popular streamers, of both MOBA and FPS games that they've p much got a cool millions' worth of advertising for free. And they have enough space to put the game on discount if purchases slow down and still make money off of the in-game shop. P good recipe for profit if you ask me.

But more importantly, you can introduce as much new characters in MOBAs as you want without upsetting the balance too much, so you can sell those new characters in the future to braindead Mountain Dew-breathers.
This is nonsense as Dota 2 has no paywall and every individual hero has huge implications for overall game balance. Don't lump every game with League of Legends.

Lol not a single thread where the word MOBA gets passed around where some retard doesn't wake up and starts drooling over himself about how his game/community is the better one.

Game copies most of TF2 but because it has ultimates it's more similar to dota/lol.
GREAT LOGIC RIGHT THERE! NEW BRAND OF TEAM BASED FPS!

Are people legitimately this dumb or do they get guidelines from PR departments?

I'm not sure i get what you're saying, the game is literally a copy of TF2 with MOBA elements (3 normal abilities and 1 ulti, 3 types of classes for characters etc). Ofc it's more similar to TF2, it's a FPS, but you can definitely see the dota/lol elements in there.

abija

Prophet
It was related to the post above and the video in it which said is more like dota/lol than tf2 ("new brand of team based fps" was actually said in the video and one of his main arguments why the game is more like mobas than TF2 were the ultimates).

The aesthetic in this game is... Some of the worst bubblegum bullshit I have seen in years.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It is generic innovation instead. Lol different for the sake of being different and getting accolades from retards who don't know artistic expression is about heart and soul and not "style".

Besides, the game really looks like a clusterfuck in practice, so much as they had to put character silhouettes in the game otherwise you wouldn't be able to see where anybody is and who the fuck it is you are shooting at.

abija

Prophet
Character silhouettes are a good thing. Decent alternative to "bright skins". Actions fps shouldn't be about trying to notice enemies in the background.

Too bad the morons working at UT seem to miss the point (not sure if they changed it, but last time I played evn lights affected player models and most were using some white model that got colored like the map...).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't remember needing any stinking silhouettes in Quake 3 or UT 99. Silhouettes is just a reflection of going for flashiness over substance.

abija

Prophet
No, silhouettes/bright skins/different shading for player models is just common sense. Saying you didn't need them in Q3 means you were playing at really low level or you just boast for the sake of it. Or you forced a really visible model are deluding yourself is not the same thing.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
His screenshots don't really prove his own point either. We are much, much better at detection motion than fine background details. And in arena shooters no one ever stands without moving because of the map control elements. So situations like his screenshots, where you'd have to look for a small 3d char that takes some effort to be distinguished from the wall never happen. Screenshots are static. In game, that character would be moving, which is highly triggering our reptilian brain and making it feel very, very distinct from the wall.

Just like how you might never notice a small spider that's chilling out on your wall, but you ALWAYS notice things like flies constantly moving around.

If you need character silhouettes because you feel it's an effort to distinguish players in games like Quake 3, you've got brain damage buddy, get it checked out because not being able to lock onto moving objects is the exception, not the norm. Alternatively you could just kill yourself or at least avoid reproducing as you're clearly a defective individual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom