Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
it's not like that in my eurobux either (still only 50%)

Mozg

Arcane
Every time I play DS2 I do all the other three primal bonfires then end up spending 15 minutes trying to remember how the fuck you get to the area that has the three skeleton mages as a boss. I even did it when I NG+'d my first game after leaving the game down for a couple months.

I guess it's the constant teleporting to Majula that makes me automatically write off any area I've already run through.

(The mimic in the gutter got me, first time since DaS1. That second your brain realizes the front of the chest looks a little weird)

There's finally a -90% sale for Scholar if you own DS2 on Steam. Time to get it for those who have been undecided.

d4cd2b77ec28843c44a1adbed6c6bb7d.png
Seems like a bug

praetor

Arcane
from what i gather, the upgrade is priced like that only for those who have das2 vanilla + all the DLCs, so it's 2,5€ for the dx11 upgrade and the new enemy/item placements

Murk

Arcane
Mozg man how the fuck many alt you gonna make

ffs man i'm trying to stalk you and you fucking up my groove n shit

Mozg

Arcane
forgive me

Is it possible to miss the stuff you need to open the DLC area like it was in DaS1? I did all the primal bonfires and I'm still not able to get into any of them.

Also congrats to From for being able to buckle down and make Iron Keep even more annoying than vanilla.

Caim

Arcane
I got DSII and the expansions, enjoyed it all. Should I bother upgrading to SotFS? My PC isn't able to run the game at 100%, but it runs smooth enough at mid settings. Should I pother to upgrade then, or leave it as is?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I just got it recently. The enemy placements are a big improvement over the original (better variety within areas, a lot of them make more sense, pursuers are a better stand in for black knights than the Heide knights were); but it's not that big a deal if you've already played through before.

Perkel

Arcane
I just got it recently. The enemy placements are a big improvement over the original (better variety within areas, a lot of them make more sense, pursuers are a better stand in for black knights than the Heide knights were); but it's not that big a deal if you've already played through before.

how far you are into game ? Very early in game it is improvement but later in game it is garbage. I think it is safe to say that you will be fighting more than 1/3 additonal mobs. "Mobs" here is not used for no reason as they feel that way.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wish they'd have been more ballsy with the placements. The chariot horse was great, they should've gone for more crazy shit like that. More Pursuers as well, I love fighting that guy.

Murk

Arcane
forgive me

Is it possible to miss the stuff you need to open the DLC area like it was in DaS1? I did all the primal bonfires and I'm still not able to get into any of them.

Also congrats to From for being able to buckle down and make Iron Keep even more annoying than vanilla.

Yeah, the keys are located in specific areas that you have to pick up. They're never sealed off tho, you can just go back to them (and 2 of them are specifically intended for you to return at a later time to get them.)

http://gameswiki.net/dark-souls-ii-scholar-of-the-first-sin-all-keys-location-guide/

Mozg

Arcane
Man, the heavy iron key DLC is about as hard as I want a souls game to get. The bosses were fine but a lot of the traversal got to be unpleasant (the run to blue smelter demon was terble). Plus none of the loot has any meaning - woo more twinkling titanite, more souls to raise another stat that barely does anything past its soft cap.

I know everyone got off on the DS2 DLCs but I think they're demonstrating that the DS formula is getting real thin for me

The blue smelter shit is a "challenge route". Each DLC has one just for lulz. Sunken king has 3 NPCs and Ivory King has 2kat. It's completely optional and intended for co-op. It's still bad though.

Mozg

Arcane
yeah yeah

The appeal of DS/DaS isn't that it's hard, it's that it:

1) Won't let you brainlessly faceroll through shit

but

2) The skills you need to master to continue in them are easy to pick up quickly and come naturally as you play

It's fun because you learn a lot without much intent, and when a skill does come with intent it's always from thinking about it for thirty seconds, not from practicing minutiae or something. Except I've pretty much gotten all the easy skills the basic framework leads to at this point, and harder shit just makes me have to replay it more until a couple extra things happen to go my way. If I just wanted high precision difficulty shit I'd do speedruns or something.

OTOH I played some of the green DLC and the snow DLC and they both seem much easier so maybe it was just an outlier.

Murk

Arcane
Well, part of it is that the challenge routes are also worse than the rest of the DLC. Wait til horse*-cock alley, etc.

Not sure why there's such a big change in the setup, but there is this slight "run through to the other side" appeal that they present -- particularly in Sunken and Iron king DLCs. Snowscape is... a failed attempt at something that could have been interesting.

*reindeer

Mozg

Arcane
My narrative of the supersnow area:

1) Wow the idea of riding a coffin down into snow hell is neat. neat animation
2) This looks cool. Oh you have to look where you want to go when the blizzard dies down
3) Neat horse enemy
4) Fuck these horse enemies
5) Fuck waiting for the snow to die down
6) Fuck it I'm summoning Vengarl and co
7) Remember in the artorias DLC when double guardians would respawn in the first boss arena and you didn't try to pretend like that was a real boss From

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What double guardians? Played the DLC a few times but somehow I don't know what you are referring to. The narrative is spot on before the last point :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What double guardians? Played the DLC a few times but somehow I don't know what you are referring to. The narrative is spot on before the last point :)
He is talking about the Chimera beast Guardian at the start of the DLC. If you went back to the initial place you spawn in the Artorias DLC after defeating Artorias, you'd find 2 of them waiting for you. It was a nice surprise.

Mozg

Arcane
Finished up the DLCs. Eh. I can tell that they're mostly designed proficiently but I didn't actually enjoy them very much.

Favorite was Sunken King. A good dragon fight, pretty good switch puzzles, the dual wielding ghost enemies, an OK+ summoning boss, the vertical dungeon at the end. I'd also learned my lesson to just summon for the "challenge" area in that one so the shit boss didn't bother me.

Also finally did double pursuer legit after having fought solo a hundred times in scholar (also RoB+1 and Flynn'd craftsman hammer does like 500 damage a swing to em)

I think the Souls formula has officially worn out for me.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I just got to the Old Iron King in SotFS and I'm wondering if there's a certain order I should do the DLCs in. Like is there a difficulty curve through them or will some of them not make sense if I go through them first?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Afaik there's no real order to them, I simply did them according to their release date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom