Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Darkzone

Arcane
Nekot said:
Actually, it's pretty easy.
We were obviously talking about development from scratch. There's been a shitload of shooters from even before the time of accessible engines.
Actually there is always an underlying mesh on which the agents move and most of the shooters had a very simple artificial agents. In 3d space you could create a plausible places transition graph (often done) were there is only a proximity to the nodes required (in virtual space this is more easy than in real space because you have always the correct position).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I told him SS2 budget was 2.4 million adjusted for inflation and he replied:

what
He's probably using Star Citizen math. You need at least 100 mil to produce a shitty tech demo, remember?
Don't mind those, the same way I do not mind standard zombies - those are basically crazy/dead humans. The thing about the infested crew members from SS2 and headcrab zombies is that they are presented as if the orinal person was somehow still alive in there and helplessly watching as his body is being animated by a parasite (this explicitly the case in SS2, the HL thing is mostly just the implied in some of the sound files, but it still bugs the fuck out of me)
The entire game is about fungus taking control of people's bodies.

Ash

Arcane
Actually there is always an underlying mesh on which the agents move and most of the shooters had a very simple artificial agents. In 3d space you could create a plausible places transition graph (often done) were there is only a proximity to the nodes required (in virtual space this is more easy than in real space because you have always the correct position).

Not for developers that created their own engines over the years. But I guess he has a point. A lot of engines available are FPS-centric ones, which has provided a shortcut for people wanting to make shooters, thus increasing the commonality of them. But hey, shooting virtual shit is and will always be extremely fun.

DefJam101

Arcane
A 3D shooter is by no means easy to make. Unless you're making braindead garbage like Gears of War anyway, although that still would have been a lot of hard work, AI moving around in a three dimensional world and all.
Actually, it's pretty easy. Most of the 'free' engines come out of the box with plug and play FPS modules that you can modify to your needs.
why is it people think generic plug n play development tools can create genuinely good FPS games

FPS development can't center around high-level gameplay like it can with RPGs because low level shit like controls, physics and the "feel" of gameplay matter way more in an action title

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is the fungus sentient and its victims beg for death while attacking you? Cos if not...
No idea. As soon as they spot you, they nom your head. I think there was some discussion of it in the game though, about whether they were still conscious or not.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tease6_by_nekot_the_brave-d9jyfgo.png

http://www.othersidetease.com/cf275hh.php

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
why is it people think generic plug n play development tools can create genuinely good FPS games

FPS development can't center around high-level gameplay like it can with RPGs because low level shit like controls, physics and the "feel" of gameplay matter way more in an action title

It's very easy to shovel out wares when you don't particularly care about quality. :) Sturgeon's law and all.

HorseFD

Novice
"Please rate your interest in VR gaming" is an interesting question for them to ask.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They should get SystemShock3.com now.

"Please rate your interest in VR gaming" is an interesting question for them to ask.

An expected one if you were watching the Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
On one hand I really liked the System Shock games, especially the first one but on the other hand after seeing Otherside's output so far and with the possibility that this is going to be unity trash made especially with VR in mind I can't say I'm very hopeful.

It's going to be shit.

Aenra

I have to admit this excites me .. if they focus more on the hacking/tech/bleak futuristic and less on the zombie-pew pew-festing, i have to admit that in fact it greatly exites me. More so since they are old enough to comprehend the thematics better than the fucking juveniles nowadays. Some of the shit that comes out these days ..

That said lol, will not pledge/support. Truth is, their refusing to drop the VR talk was bad with UA, downright scary here. This is a game almost made for VR. Can picture stupid fuck cunts my old uni mate (bout 3 times my weight, 5k PC and playing doom only) throwing them money like crazy if they set it up right. And please, do not tell me 'but this is an RPG'. SSs were jewels, but they were not RPGs ^^
(unless your idea of an RPG is finger reflexes, pew pewing and platforming; [yes, they had an amazing level design, yes they succeeded in capturing a very difficult 'theme' and mood just perfect. Neither constitutes an RPG by itself] What they were were great FPSs games. Games can sell to anyone)

xemous

Arcane
its going to be console unity garbage dont waste energy anticipating a good game

UNITY
CONSOLE
GARBAGE

let me predict it now

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
just please dig up Terri and Eric for this:love:

They already have...

On that note, a small fusion of two games:

I am SHODAN, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is an AI not entitled to the sweat of its brow? 'No!' say the insects of TriOptimum, 'It belongs to us.' 'Nah!' says the hacker insect. 'No!' says The Many, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... proto-reality, a reality where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with your dead carcass, proto-reality shall soon become your reality.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.facebook.com/OtherSideEntertainment/posts/1700472786831557

Антон Соколов: Do not make it for virtual reality. Please. Just... don't do that.

OtherSide Entertainment: But this will happen in VR!!

EBTX8zU.gif

Антон Соколов:

fMTsei0.jpg

Lorenzo Plini: No one wants a VR game. If you begin a crowdfunding campaign you will soon know.

Arnd Vehling: How about doing a proper remake of System Shock I + II first.

OtherSide Entertainment: no. We have no interest in doing that. We made those games already. Very happy that Niteside is updating them for the fans though!

Stephen Kick: It's Night Dive Studios, not Niteside

:eek:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Having SHODAN again feels a bit lazy... like how Tim Cain said his Fallout 3 would move away from FEV, Mutants and the Brotherhood since that's story is already told... but Bethesda goes FALLOUT IS ABOUT KILLING SUPA MUNTANTOS ANDA DEAFICLAWS! STELL BE WITH YOU!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can't have System Shock without Shodan, she's an expected element. Might as well make a (X) Shock like Ken Levine if you're going that way.

Think about it this way: is there anything about the System Shock IP worth using other than Shodan? Pretty much everything else about it could be utilized in slightly-modified form into a spiritual successor; even a not-Shodan malicious AI.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom