Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Released

Did Styg buy the adds on the steam?!

16hlxrb.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Strictly speaking, yes, he is in essence "buying" that release announcement and a day or three on the scrolling marquee kajigger, because Steam takes a cut of his earnings.

All games on Steam get the pop-up splash blurb once they release.

Well, started using it when kickstarter cRPGs started coming out. No reasons for Steam before that. Don't say those ads are random. Haven't seen any cRPG ad at all before, but always got some non cRPG crap in it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally, after years of ignoring the alpha (after previewing the very first version of it), I can play the finished game unspoiled and fresh. :love:

Namutree

Savant
Bought this game yesterday, and I am having a great time.

You should post some reviews of your own to counter that kind of crap.

Wait til you have a few hours of gametime before you do that or people will just find them "amusing".

Congratulations, Styg , I'll play in January :)
Yeah, I never do Steam reviews until I have at least 30 hours of game time. Which with this gem won't too long from now. I would be playing your game first Charles, but I could import my own custom portrait in this. I'll check your game out in January and give it the positive review it will probably deserve then.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh damn, I like this. It's just as good as I remember that very first demo I played ages ago.

Walking speed is too slow though. Other than that, everything is sweet.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's true that the writing isn't as wonderfully adjectivized or prolific as the most treasured storyfag graphic novels, that there aren't as many heavily-branching dialog trees, and that the overall story isn't jaw-droppingly awe-inspiring, speculative, or innovative (although frankly I think that people who outright worship PST et al. should crack open a proper sci-fi novel), but it is fairly unique, there is an element of mystery, and there are (reportedly; much has been added since EA) some surprising twists.

It's not bad, it's there, it's definitely serviceable, and there's actually quite a bit of it. We're talking about one man who seems to be mainly a programmer. Hiring a team of D&D nerds who fancy themselves published authors and have thesaurus fetishes really wasn't in the scope of the game.

Well, the standard of good writing in cRPGs is measured by other cRPGs, not books. However, even if the writing of Underrail is not stellar, at least it has a lot of personality and it’s very immersive. I love the causal way in which NPCs talk about creatures, like rathounds and hoppers, or different cities and stations, etc. This, accompanied by a direct presentation, makes everything in the game look like a real world.
I noticed this. Also even in first station there were a couple of cool lines where the game makes fun of itself and other similar games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh damn, I like this. It's just as good as I remember that very first demo I played ages ago.

I got one major complaint. The bartering screen could be improved:
1. Auto button does not let you tell it to only use one currency. If keeps putting Stygian coins into it when I only want to use SGS coins. In the end I have to put in money manually. Which brings me to next complaints about bartering..
2. When transferring things between inventory and barter screen it does not bring up the split screen like all other games. You have to presplit items which is very irritating and makes the whole thing worse. Please. please Styg , Mac_Orion fix this.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So hiw is the release going Styx? Seems there are no mayor bugs and everything sounds very polished and (dare I say it?) balanced
Just bought a couple of copies to give away to a couple of friends and hopefully it is selling well, but what can we expect in the future? Will you go the AoD route of polishing off for a few more patches or will you go for an expansion or move on to a sequel or new proyect?

I've seen a few other people complain about walking speed...

I must be uber patient. Doesn't bother me an ounce. If it wasn't for other people mentioning it, I don't think I would even notice it.

Only downside to me - and it's minor - is how necessary some skills are, and how not necessary a few others are. Speech seems a bit underutilized, and I can't imagine playing without crafting or lockpick + hacking (or at least hacking). Still, it's awesome. It's amazing. It's fantastic. Styg crushed it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, speech skills are a bit underutilized, although on the whole I think they mainly seem that way because the game is fairly combat-heavy. Lockpicking and hacking only seem unskippable because there's so much to unlock and explore; they're not as indispensable as they appear, especially later on. You give up the extra loot and the somewhat faster oddity acquisition, but you gain an entire other usable skill.

Crafting skills are extremely useful, though... skipping them all would be a tough choice. They allow you to carry far more loot by breaking down junky weapons and armor and processing heavy animal parts into near-weightless chemical vials, they obviously produce very strong crafted gear, and they help you to earn a lot more money thanks to advanced repair kits, which can be sold as-is or used to repair high-end weapons and armor so that they'll sell for a lot more. Crafting your own medicines and drugs is also a lot cheaper than stocking up via merchants.

As far as speed is concerned, once I get the
Rathound King armor
and a nice pair of tabi, I typically put those on for "shopping trips" around to all the major merchants to speed travel time up a bit, but when exploring uncharted territory it doesn't bother me. Sprint also helps. I don't think I've ever skipped choosing Sprint; it can be a real lifesaver for "tactical positioning."

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
You know what?

All these other games I have agonised over whether to buy (Wasteland 2, Div OS, et al) and then I pop into Good Old Games last night (without seeing this thread or any pre knowledge). And there it is.

Underrail. released and on sale.

I look at it again. I am so used to it being a stupid beta, and I remember that GoG doesn't do that. I remember the Codex hype and all of the believers, I see the price (much lower than the other games even when they are on sale), read the blurb and look at the screenshots... and I press 'buy'. Easiest game purchase in a long time, and perhaps the first 'day one' purchase in many years.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Well done, thank you for the Incline, and Congratulations! :salute:

Now for a propaganda campaign of unseen proportions: "What are you getting your mate for Christmas? Say, I know this cool post-apocalyptic RPG that just came out, maybe you could gift that?"

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I noticed this. Also even in first station there were a couple of cool lines where the game makes fun of itself and other similar games.

I don’t like this type of humor for the very same reason that I enjoy the informal conversation of the game, it’s not immersive because it makes you remember that you’re playing a game in the middle of a dialogue. But just for the sake of curiosity, would you care to post one of those lines?

I've seen a few other people complain about walking speed...

The problem is not the speed, but the fact that there is only walking. I remember people complaining about this, months ago, but Styg mentioned that he wouldn’t touch this, since this would require alterations on the character model, or something like that.

Only downside to me - and it's minor - is how necessary some skills are, and how not necessary a few others are. Speech seems a bit underutilized, and I can't imagine playing without crafting or lockpick + hacking (or at least hacking). Still, it's awesome. It's amazing. It's fantastic. Styg crushed it.

Unless you have a completionist OCD, speech abilities are dump skills, especially mercantile. Crafting is awesome, but you can do amazing stuff and buy or find good stuff without it. Hacking and lockpick are practically mandatory, especially if you are playing with oddity system, but they become too repetitive and tiresome later on.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I don’t like this type of humor for the very same reason that I enjoy the informal conversation of the game, it’s not immersive because it makes you remember that you’re playing a game in the middle of a dialogue. But just for the sake of curiosity, would you care to post one of those lines?
I seen two so far:
1. In one you can comment to one of the NPCs how the commander keeps giving you missions that are suicidal for one person.
2. In another you can ask the commander after he tells you to again go alone into unknown danger what is he and his people going to be doing in the meantime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom