Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lots of good crafting feats are at INT 7 iirc.
Never required, of course, like anything else in this game. But if you're crafting it could be worth it.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Got 6GB of RAM :/
Allow me to rephrase, how much memory do you have available when playing?

Although it looks like underrail only uses around 400-500 meg of RAM.

Edited to update RAM use: it does go up as you load zones. So maybe it is running out of RAM. After a couple of screens the RAM usage popped up to 650 megs. I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher - I don't tend to pay that much attention.

Do you have enough harddrive space or video ram? I dunno, grasping at straws.

Got enough i think. Dunno :/ think ill just restart and save often ;/

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't think these new wall textures are an improvement over the previous minimalist design of the early access version. Some of these new textures look a bit out of place for me.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
tell me how good you are at killing 3 sentry bots on hard difficulty as a stealth/crossbow character with no nades or utility left

You shouldn't fight with all 3 at once. Tactical mystake.

How do you guys manage to make Energy weapons work? I made a character with these stats:

6 Str
8 Dex
3 Agi
5 Con
8 Per
3 Will
7 Int
All is ok except 5 Con. Need 3 Con, 10 Dex. )
With all feats I had stable 600 crit damage from plasma pistol with Aimed Shot.
0.44 Hammererused to spent the rest of AP.

Broken elevator can't be fixed since I don't have enough mech skill
It can only be fixed from 3 floor.

Check your weapon durability. Hit % doesn't seem right.
No it's right. ) Dogs got a buff I think. Also 8 Dex is too low.

Any suggestions on dealing with Burrowers? I went with a melee/crossbow build and they're a pain in the ass to deal with.
Trapz!!!

Why are people so butthurt about the speed? It's a brisk walking speed. Do you really need to sprint everywhere? Hardly anyone complained about this in Early Access.

Also it looks like animation was increased in comparison to alfa.

Aimed Shot (this was a stupid pick)
Power Management
Recklessness
Steadfast Aim
Practical Physicist
1. Aimed shot is a main source of crit early on.
2. Don't need it early.
3. Fine.
4. fine.
5. Don't need it early.

I don't enjoy spending a few minutes walking through dead areas.
Go get Tabi boots, and some unique armor that makes you move faster.

any non spoiler tips for the character creation?
Of cource. You can see all feats from the start, so you can plan your character from the start.

Oh and another question: Is stealth mandatory in this game? I hate stealth in games.
No, you can be a Walking Fortress-tipe, this goes well with assault rifles e.g.

Gun sounds are debatable, but explosions really crack, the environmental audio is extremely well-done, the music is fantastic, and Underrail's graphics are eye candy for people who like a 2D isometric style (me, for example).
Absolutely agree with it.

Gregz

Arcane
Why are people so butthurt about the speed? It's a brisk walking speed. Do you really need to sprint everywhere? Hardly anyone complained about this in Early Access.
Fuck you. If you enjoy spending minutes at a time walking through empty explored areas then good for you, I don't enjoy spending a few minutes walking through dead areas.

I admit this bothers me and modern games shouldn't do this. Wasteland 2 'solved' this in an interesting way, when your party was (running) from A to B and you were bored, you could look at the character sheet and theorycraft a bit while they were running, when they were finished running the animation would stop. I thought this was a cool idea, and gave the player something interesting to do (sort inventory, allocate skill points, etc.) while the boring running (which wasn't even that slow) back through explored areas was going on.

Even the greatest game isn't perfect, and could use refinements. Perhaps a fast run option or something like WL2 did would be an improvement that could be implemented that would take away nothing from the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Smart strategic use of the surroundings in a TB game is awesome and one of the few things I miss in this game.

Smart strategic use of surroundings isn't missing in Underrail. You may be deluded by your desire for specific features.

Exactly what I had in mind ;)

JA2 is great, and so is X-COM, but not every game (and certainly not every RPG) requires extensive cover mechanics and kneeling/crouching/snake-crawling in order to be good, or tactically interesting. Underrail has many features that don't exist in JA2.

I rarely see complaints about the lack of cover and kneeling systems (or anything like them) in fantasy RPGs.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So... 15 hours super short "review" from my part:

The good
- For an indie game from a small developer the amount of content is astounding.
- Seems completely bug-free so far.
- The battle system is really well done and although it could have a couple more thingies(like crouching for aim or some cover bonuses from tall items in front of the character) it is very enjoyable
- The amount of crafting possibilities is insane.
- The freedom on how you approach battles is exceptional and reminds a lot of Fallout1&2.
- The Oddity system is really good in pushing you forward to explore

The bad
- Visuals and sound are mediocre. I would have liked a bit more "impact" on the gun sounds specifically. The graphics are obviously nothing to boast about.
- The game lacks in character and story. For these 15 hours I feel I'm just going to places that people tell me to, I have not "connected" with anyone and don't really remember any NPC, because they are , to be honest, kind of bland.
- The amount of crafting possibilities is insane(and it drives me crazy because it's hard to keep up with).
- I seriously miss the opportunity to have more people adventuring with me.

Generally the game is good and applies well to my autism but I'm sorry, I do not see it as the "ultimate" incline. And I do not think it's fair for it to be compared with the Fallouts(1&2) since it's not on the same level in anything apart from combat where it surpasses them easily (although it would have been even better if the player controlled more characters).

Styg and the gang did a really good job and they deserve congratulations for it, but the Codex did over-hype the game for me and my expectations were probably a bit too high going in it.
That being said, I will keep on playing because it IS a good time - and it doesn't need a "legendary" status to be so. :)

Graphics are stylized, just like fallouts were. Graphics of fallout ain't nothing to write home about either, if you want Crysis 8 graphics. For a 2D isometric game, it's pretty badass. But to each his own I guess.
The story gets better, and so does the characters, but Underrail has already been etablished as clearly not a storyfag game. And if you think it was, no wonder you got disappointed. This is first and foremost a combat and exploration game.
You love fallout, but hate Underrail for not having more people to adventure with you? Fallout was only you adventuring. Sure, there were a few companions, but you didn't really control them. A fake sense of "adventure" if you ask me.

Villagkouras

Arcane
So, I started the game...

Fucking excellent character creation descriptions. I think today I won't be playing at all, just fiddle with the stats.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lots of good crafting feats are at INT 7 iirc.
Never required, of course, like anything else in this game. But if you're crafting it could be worth it.
So at lvl 8 i should go for int 7? im going tailoring, with a bit of the other stuff for some psi gear.

Fry

Arcane
Is there a consistent amount of playtime before vendors refresh inventories, or is it random?

Need a damn Mk II lockpick.

GJIG

Novice
I think I'm experiencing a bug with a safe in Camp Hathor: I pickpocketed a key off this guy called Edgar and tried opening his safe, but all I get is text saying "key.ch.edgars" when I try to open it, can't access the contents of the safe at all. Anyone know what's in there? Spoil me if you must.

my character is psikyn unarmed

my stats are

str 3
dex 10
agi 5
con 3
will 10
int 6

Been thinking i should have gone with agi 6 and then upgrade it to 7 for fancy footwork, leaving int at 5. what do you guys think?

I went with a character that was far less focused on pure unarmed and more focused on having it as an option after I run out of psi points/grenades, and I am highly enjoying every single point I have in agility. Stats are currently 10 dex, 10 agi and 10 will. The initiative is high enough that I get first turn practically always, and the combination of movement-point stuff and Blitz + Adrenaline Shot typically allows me to disable/kill everything on the first turn. Personally, I don't think crafting is a big deal for psi/unarmed builds, Cheap Shots and Expose Weakness are the only reason I even consider intelligence for those types of builds.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Graphics are stylized, just like fallouts were. Graphics of fallout ain't nothing to write home about either, if you want Crysis 8 graphics. For a 2D isometric game, it's pretty badass. But to each his own I guess.
The story gets better, and so does the characters, but Underrail has already been etablished as clearly not a storyfag game. And if you think it was, no wonder you got disappointed. This is first and foremost a combat and exploration game.
You love fallout, but hate Underrail for not having more people to adventure with you? Fallout was only you adventuring. Sure, there were a few companions, but you didn't really control them. A fake sense of "adventure" if you ask me.
Where the fuck did I say that I hate Underrail?
What is fake and what is not when talking about "senses" is a very relative term. I actually found the companion system in the old Fallouts, pretty awesome for my sense of adventuring. Even if they constantly died from friendly fire.
Also I was not expecting a storyfag game, FOs were also not story heavy, but I expected a bit more world-building, some more interesting and memorable NPCs around. Maybe they are further down, I don't know. But for now they mostly seem like vendors/quest givers/trainers with some dialog.

I know you and Blaine love the game to death but chill out a bit and accept that it's not perfect. That's all I'm saying. I enjoy playing it otherwise.

ST'Ranger

Augur
That's good news :)
And indeed I'm just into Junkyard. But I thought it was kind of a 60 hour game, so I guessed 1/4th of it is a good amount to judge the content

It would be very lenient indeed to say that you have experienced 10% of the game, depending on how close you are to completing Junkyard matters.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fired up underrail yesterday and right off the bat I noticed 3 things
The mouse smoothing is atrocious, any way to turn it off?
The game looks best on my laptop (720p) but the fonts and menus still look too small; cant think of any way of playing beyond that res
Maybe adding a running option when double cliking could be possible?
And finally how about some character templates? They help a lot to see a working viable build for the first playthrough or some testing... Even Fallout had that to start off

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Guys, just a quick notice - I appreciate all bug reporting, but if you could, I'd prefer you do it on official forums (or even Steam forums) because I'm less likely to miss it there. ;)

ArchAngel

Arcane
How does one permanently increase its AP for attacking?
It is irritating that I can only shoot twice per turn with crossbow and not even have AP left to use consumables.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Guys, just a quick notice - I appreciate all bug reporting, but if you could, I'd prefer you do it on official forums (or even Steam forums) because I'm less likely to miss it there. ;)
World does not exist outside the Codex. Do you really want us to degrade ourselves by posting elsewhere?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
How does one permanently increase its AP for attacking?
It is irritating that I can only shoot twice per turn with crossbow and not even have AP left to use consumables.

You can't. Well, maybe with some feats. But not by stats alone. It's a 50 AP per combat, and that cant be changed.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Mmm I found (Well, not witout having to pry it from some bastards cold, death hands) the unique knive, the Kukri, and it has a wonderfull crit chance. Made my Stealthy knifer very happy.

John_Blazze

Augur
Did anyone went with a pistol (with normal bullets) build in beta?

I see a lot of cool ways to build a character here, but I always tend to gravitate to stealth/gunslinger type builds (stealthy enough only to get a jump on someone) and that's what I want to start (and finish) with.
I'm worried I'll be pushed into using plasma or whatever else type pistols later on.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Did anyone went with a pistol (with normal bullets) build in beta?

I see a lot of cool ways to build a character here, but I always tend to gravitate to stealth/gunslinger type builds (stealthy enough only to get a jump on someone) and that's what I want to start (and finish) with.
I'm worried I'll be pushed into using plasma or whatever else type pistols later on.
You wont be pushed into laser/plasma/electric pistol later on. Normal firearms are enough for the whole game, and you even get special bullets later on for added versatility.

So sledgehammer is like... so satisfying. Probably a bit ezmode, but seeing these fucks burst shoot me and get no damage, then just feed them my hammer is sooooooo nice.

Just got the Junkyard quest, so things have a ways to go. Really enjoyed the compound quest. It's nice that I could see that there were like four different ways to handle the situation - I chose hammer to the face option myself.

Can't wait to replay. And then replay again. And then replay again.

John_Blazze

Augur
I diddn't have a chance to play the full game before, and I'm stuck on character creation screen right now. I'm so excited that I can't decide what to choose.

So another question: Is focusing on two weapons viable? I kinda want to tray a stealth/knife/pistol (with emphasis on pistol), close range type a character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom