Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Jester

Arbiter
If Rin again kill charming girl when she don't have to I propose ice imprison, or order to preserve women for processing. She is decreasing quantity and quality of women this world [documented 4 adventures and one knight (luckily brought back)]. That crime can not be excused (she do not posses quality of character to be excused) and must be dealt with in some way.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree that Erdrick should take some action, any action. As a feminist, he can not abide such a violation of womynz rights in the very heart of his territory. I deem his prolonged dismissal of the issue uncharacteristical, and his lack of communication with the demon princess a breach of players' trust!! :outrage:

We didn't sell half the world for her to put her on ignore list! Now that there is no Demon Lord to protect the world from this calamity of a daughter, we should take it upon ourselves to make sure Rin doesn't take all the joy out of it, and receives a proper upbringing!

(I still think our way of scolding her for the Methussian fallout was lackluster. We have much more to say than that)

For every pretty woman killed, there must be a penalty. No tortures, no bisquits, no walkies, and in the most severe cases, no fighties.

Of course, we need to establish a system of positive feedback, too! For every new harem prospect brought to our village, she'll get bonus points, which she can then spend on pretty axes and personal torture toys. And cringy romance novels. If she is an especially good girl, we can ask Zayan to develop some murdertool just for her.

And have Aria learn the system as well. Maybe competitive spirit will do that what a lecture can not.

(Can't we buy something for the kid now that we are in Ontoglia again and have a basic disguise? I think she deserved it for her role in the Slime chapter. Or maybe have Zay design something cool, though our scientist will have her hands full as it is. Still, positive feedback!)

If the spoiled pwincess doesn't like it, she can always seek another gobling village and set up camp there.
:M
:M:M
:M:M:M

No, but seriously. This needs to be dealt with. I understand Erdrick doesn't want to get in a (violent) argument, but there comes a point when indulging a bad habit brings in more trouble than setting things straight. And that point was passed with Wist.

Worse yet, if after her Erise fiasco she understood she dun goofed and looked at us with puppy eyes for a week (which makes me hope she won't be falling in that particular pitfall twice), this time she doesn't even acknowledge her mistake as a big deal and talks back. That is a worrying sign. We are being way too lenient with her.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Zay did mention that Rin had the greatest compatibility with us, but first we have to raise her affection meter until her "romance scenes" are unlocked if we wish to do this safely. However, I don't think it is a matter of race (according to The Priest humans can have monster blood), but waiting until Erd's body is more mature and/or we manage to complete Angels' coming of age ritual (I bet it will involve being spirited away by strange spirits, dragons and other nonsensical creatures, all of which may or may not be a metaphor for growing up). :M

IIRC it also was briefly mentioned that Rin trained the children, althrough her training was more instinctive than anything else (whatever is that supposed to mean). It was probably something like this. In any case, as Nevill already predicted, nothing will happen until Aria is at least 18 years old (lest the Codexers get funny ideas). On the plus side, Erdrick definitively has more chances of interacting with "normal" women than poor Senya ever had.

PS: Nevill has it: Erd should threaten Rin to take away her fanfic collection if she doesn't behave as she should, but unfortunately for us he's too lazy and busy with his own issues, while the Princess still (wrongly?) believes Mercant is gay. Actually, the latter can be a perfect excuse to get "more physical" with Rin and see if "something" happens. :M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Angels' coming of age ritual (I bet it will involve being spirited away by strange spirits, dragons and other nonsensical creatures, all of which may or may not be a metaphor for growing up).
Or maybe it involves scorching a city or two. Maybe that's why they are not well-liked. :M

...maybe we should try that, too...

IIRC it also was briefly mentioned that Rin trained the children, althrough her training was more instinctive than anything else.
Ah, found that fragment. Yeah, she teaches goblins, and the kids pick up whatever they can.
You spend the next week organizing the goblins into a more coherent force, having them construct more fortifications and dig deeper into the earth. You do not know how long you will stay here, but before then, you should make it as defensible as you can. Rin teaches them better ways to fight, while Aria and Arlin join in on the training. Surprisingly, her ways of teaching - which rely on instinct more than anything - resonate well with the goblins and the twins.
...which isn't a whole lot for the 15th lvl they are sitting on. :negative:

Maybe we can unlock Aria's prestige class and things will speed up from there.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ah, Rin. Our unintended waifu Theseus.

We really need to make it clear to Rin that women are important to us and we don't want them killed. So far she has only been saving the lives of male characters - a prince, an adventurer.

lightbane

Arcane
Actually, not even that: the prince was saved by our actions, not Rin. She went off to kill some stragglers, got herself mind-controlled AND nearly killed Erd himself, giving us way more trouble than anything else (in spite of demons supposedly being resistant to mind control and the like).

But yeah, hopefully we can decide what to do with miss Fumblerina at some point. Thinking about the future, assuming our characters survive the incoming adventurer horde expedition with at least most of their limbs intact, there's an high chance the whole region will be put into high alert. As a consequence, at best Methuss starts sending more and more soldiers. At worst, they deploy their hyperweapon Angel against us, forcing us to relocate. Either way, at that point perhaps we'll finally have an excuse to go East and meet more monsters/potential recruits.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Or we could do something like instigating a war between the countries.
All we have to do is steal some uniforms, attack village with humanoids who have that uniform and kill some of ruling people.

I vote for Rin to kidnap prince or princess who is popular with common people.

Nevill

Arcane
Or Methuss starts bleeding after suffering numerous defeats by our hand, and gets invaded by its ever-helpful Barzam/Byarlant friends who will dispose of the King with the help of their useful idiot, the Crown Prince, and then take out the Crown Prince to put the kingdom into a state of anarchy. Which would prompt Farland to seek help whereever he can find it, and turn to us, offering us a throne and a hand of his sister in marriage in exchange for saving the lives of his countrymen.

And then we will wake up. :(

I vote for Rin to kidnap prince or princess who is popular with common people.
NO.

Bad Rin! Bad!

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Methuss ending up weakened by our exploits is a certain possibility, but if that happens, you can be sure the other Kingdoms will start looking into it as well. No matter how many Gygadines we cast, currently Erd and co don't have the resources nor the man(goblin?)power to survive an ongoing war yet, especially if it's against multiple factions at once.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why on earth would Erdrick engage in warfare? Does he even have any defined borders that are worth the effort of protecting?

So far his base of operations seem small enough to move. So, if an army comes marching, then we scorch and salt the earth and move on.

Nevill

Arcane
Methuss ending up weakened by our exploits is a certain possibility, but if that happens, you can be sure the other Kingdoms will start looking into it as well.
Oh no, I don't really want Methuss to fall. All things considered, we don't have much hope of getting along with Barzam, or even Dijeh if they find out about Zayan. Galbaldy remains an option, though.

But it might make them more compliant. After all, unlike their fellow human states, we haven't shown interest in raiding and pillaging, or conquering them. Not a lot of land claims either.

Of course, their fear or disdain for us could be great enough that they would seek alliance with other countries to get rid of us, instead, if they deem us a greater threat. That's also a possibility.

---
On an unrelated note. Rin really reminds me of a pet. From her tail-wagging antics, to her 'SQUEE! WALKIES!' reaction to the new world, to her latest 'Master! I brought you a dead rat live adventurer. Can we play now?' interlude which would be really touching... if it weren't for a dead rat shoved in our face, - she is very much like a kitten and puppy combined in one fluffy killing machine. Maybe the cat/dog vote we held was for her personality and traits, after all. :M

And it pains me, because while even a pet can be taught the difference between right and wrong (or at least to see it the way their master does), Erdrick never tries to communicate his wishes when she is so eager to please.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I meant that we get methuss, galbadia, barzam or dijeh to fight each other or at laest some of them against each other.
We will take every opportunity to strenghten ourself in that chaotic mess either silently gathering allies, while kingdoms weaken themselves trough war.

Lets us some classic bad guy clich 101 to get war between two countries, while we reap the benefits without becoming main target of either group.

lightbane

Arcane
Princess Rinnifiela is also the main reason why Erdrick found himself in this whole mess. In spite of betraying his former race in exchange of her booty*, he doesn't seem to wish to do much with her anymore. I suppose he's understandably more worried about his impotence than anything else right now. At least she's not an insufferable tsundere/crazy bitch who won't put out for the main character, ever.

Either way, I guess treave won't update today since he'll be understandably too busy with today's festivities and such.

*In hindsight, he could have tried to defeat the Demon King AND take the princess anyway. That would have been a win-win situation for him (although it's unlikely he ever had a chance to do so, the game was rigged from the start). I wonder how would have the scenario played if Erd was a more traditional "well-intentioned" hero.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Why else do you think he's so lenient with her mistakes?
I would expect the level of tolerance to be considerably lower when it comes to her ruining our interaction with other hotties.

We haven't seen her booty yet, and she is already spoiling our dates. That's not how things work. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I would expect the level of tolerance to be considerably lower when it comes to her ruining our interaction with other hotties.

They're not even in the same league. :M

All of this is calculated subconsciously though. :M:M

Nevill

Arcane
They're not even in the same league. :M
That's where his feminist training should come in. Girls and flowers and the usual. They are all precious. :M

Really, though. I think Jester is asking why Erdrick allows slaughter of pretty girls when he can limit it (if not outright stop it), by at least making it known that it invokes our displeasure. It's not like Rin does it on purpose to spite us.

The 'Dex, too, is feminist. :M :M

Edit: also, any leniency only makes sense if mistakes are acknowledged as such and the right conclusions are made. Otherwise it's just indulgence.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Didn't you say it yourself, Aria and Arlin were sent to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Nevill

Arcane
I did. Though I only count on Arlin, or rather, on his desire not to kill anyone and get along with everybody. Aria got talked into the Wist kidnapping plan, and to me it looks like she is more likely to fall under Rin's influence (because she regards her as a role model - didn't she admire her strength when we first met Fortunio?) rather than temper her urges.

(Once again, something that Erdrick should take care of - don't let her ideas spread. We should be the one the kids looks up to... in absense of better alternatives.)

I don't want to appear whiny, but... shouldn't Erdrick communicate his desires to his second-in-command? If only because we can't count on the kids to always be around (though he doesn't communicate much to them either - it's just they are not as dense as a certain someone). The princess tends to wander off on her own, as she did with the dryads. Instead of having a kid with her at all times, trying to reign her in, why not deal with the issue at the source? They are partners, god damn it - but it sure looks as if they are not on speaking terms! :argh:

There is absolutely no reason why she couldn't have captured the whole adventuring party. She was strong enough for a non-lethal takedown. Instead she brought back the most worthless member of their crew (we might have been able to get more mileage out of the healer girl) who immediately got thrown away to serve as Zayan's chew toy. In the end, Erdrick just ignored it, leaving Rin to pout at the cold shoulder she got - and she doesn't even know why. If anything, she thinks the present wasn't fabulous enough. You bet once she is left to her own devices she'll try it again, too. So... why can't we correct her mistake and spare ourselves the headache in the future?

And Rin is no better than us. Yeah, she doesn't have to ask us for permissions before doing anything, or consult us. She doesn't have to do a lot of things. Like, be smart, reliable, or halfway competent. But it sure would be nice to, eh?

This blurs the line between situation comedy and a dysfunctional command structure. Things got bad enough that some plans assigned Lucy the role of a captain of the forest expedition, with Rin as a bodyguard - because we have a better understanding with the cow! Unless what she is doing wrong is conveyed to the princess, in no uncertain terms, the stupid will always threaten to spiral out of control. It's good for laughs when we can mitigate it, but we are getting invaded soon and may have to fight for our lives. That makes failures somewhat less funny.

And why, yes, I am butthurt about our sudden flight from Yuiria, which - as far as we know - essentially nullified whatever benefit we thought we got from Erise, as well as about Rin's utter unrepentance about the whole thing. (BTW, why do we still have the royal signet? Didn't we give it back to Farland? I don't suppose it is anything more than a fancy and expensive nut-cracker now, though.) That we are too much of a wuss to go back any time soon may or may not have affected my overall frustration level in regards to the current situation. :M

Anyway, Happy New Year, bros. They say the way you meet the New Year's Eve is how you will spend the entire year. Guess there will be plenty of butthurt to be had in 2016! :happytrollboy::love::hero:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't want to appear whiny, but... shouldn't Erdrick communicate his desires to his second-in-command?

Second-in-command? They're equals. The only thing she really feels obliged to do is to guard Erdrick from harm, which is why the only time she was sorry was when she actually threatened his physical wellbeing through her mistake. As long as the both of them are living and healthy, nothing else matters. At the moment Erdrick desires nothing more than to get his erectile dysfunction fixed anyway. Everything else is secondary.

So... why can't we correct her mistake and spare ourselves the headache in the future?

What mistake? Was Erdrick actually upset over her killing the women in the update? What did she come back with? Info about adventurers, names to investigate, and a sapling that will grow into a dryad. These are all useful. If she had done nothing, you would have gotten nothing. Her little excursion - even if not executed perfectly - was a net gain for Erdrick, which he recognized.

And why, yes, I am butthurt about our sudden flight from Yuiria, which - as far as we know - essentially nullified whatever benefit we thought we got from Erise, as well as about Rin's utter unrepentance about the whole thing.

Certain people were going to try and nail you for something regardless once you pulled that little stunt at the party. You think they'd just let you walk around after that and do whatever you want?

First, at the banquet you failed to pick one of several important people to talk to which would have given you extra protection by cozying up to them. You thought you could just hang around and be important.

Secondly, you were warned not to get mixed up in the duel when it was offered. When you showed off that way there was a high chance of outright getting yourself revealed as an angel in a subsequent event had Rin not put a stop to the trip. Even without her interference, you were already walking a tightrope.

Thirdly, there was an option to stop whatever it was they were planning. It was ignored.

You can be butthurt all you want, but when you have been acting with zero regard for caution it doesn't take much but a single accident to sink your plans. You're a monster with nothing but cloth to disguise yourself in a city full of people that are suspicious of you. Then you go and attend a royal banquet. You do nothing there but stay on the sidelines waiting for people to come talk to you. Then you show off your spells in front of people who have no reason to like you. If you're going to try and rush to the top of the social ladder by making a spectacle of yourself, don't be surprised if you fall just as quickly. Even if Wisteria's drowning still happened, it would have been possible to talk your way out of it had you cultivated some better connections and stayed around.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I believe Nevill is butthurt because no-one predicted the "cow torpedo" event. Most people were aware both Rin and Aria were trying to do something, but no-one expeced... "That" to happen :lol:. It is pointless musing anyway, it won't do much good to wonder about what could have happened now. Perhaps he's wishing that one of the future updates will have something like this:

"You believe Rin has gone too far. It is time to do something about her behaviour."

A: Scold her.
B: Don't scold her.
C: Praise her.
D: Rape is the only answer (only available if hyperweapon has been unlocked)
E: Eviscerate.
F: Gygadine.

Personally, I don't mind these failures that much since our character has not suffered an embarrassing death yet, nor has his true nature been revealed, so there's still a chance to rebuild our reputation. Also, it is possible that the expedition will include female adventurers that can be captured for interrogation, so it won't be a total loss. :incline:

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I knew it was the wiser idea to punch out the Archmage! We could have shown that Erd is a kickass angel and melted the whole palace down with Gigadyne.

Anyway, what's the winning option right now, had anyone been keeping track?

Nevill

Arcane
Second-in-command? They're equals.
Erdrick is the one calling the shots, and while she has her own opinions, she defers to his judgement whenever he is around.

The goblins worship us as their deity who destroyed their former master. The twins acknowledge us as their savior and mentor. Fortunio, Zayan and Lucy work for us. She did nothing for any of them (except the sapling, I guess). So, yes, she is our second-in-command, because on her own, she has nothing and doesn't command anyone. Without us, she is a nobody - a princess of a kingdom that is no longer there, of the people that were left light years away, with no one to recognize her as such and nothing to show for her name - the only thing she has left from what she was is her father's legacy, and even that we 'own'.

I recognize her as an equal in ability and in standing (a partner rather than a subordinate), but I can't help but notice that we are irreplaceable to our new 'organization', while she isn't.

The only thing she really feels obliged to do is to guard Erdrick from harm, which is why the only time she was sorry was when she actually threatened his physical wellbeing through her mistake. As long as the both of them are living and healthy, nothing else matters.
Well, we'll see what she thinks of this when roving machete adventure parties come to Grahferde's vicinity - something that she might have contributed to.

There was also a part of keeping one's trust, and I don't know about Erd, but my trust in her abilities is definitely sinking. :M

What mistake?
I believe it has something to do with her constant misunderstandings, like the one that made her think kidnapping Wisteria was something we wanted to do because we dismissed Elmont.

She is working off false premises, and is under an impression we want things we don't. Like a proper time window to heroically save the prince alone (ended in abject failure). Or a prisoner when we are on a date (ended in abject failure). Or a male adventurer 'for other things' (ended in... a relative success, if you can call it that. Zayan certainly has her fun. We, not so much).

The whole problem with Rin is that she tries to guess what we'd like instead of asking us, or us telling her. Miscommunication is a source of comedy, after all.

Was Erdrick actually upset over her killing the women in the update?
I don't know, but me and a few of the 'Dexers certainly did wince at her denseness. Erdrick goes out of his way not to harm women, going even as far as to bring Wist to the temple. If he isn't upset, or at least annoyed at her picking the 'wrong' target (one of his first questions was 'what about his companions?'), I'd have to wonder why.

If she had done nothing, you would have gotten nothing. Her little excursion - even if not executed perfectly - was a net gain for Erdrick, which he recognized.
I am not protesting that. I am wondering about the lack of proper feedback with our most able commander. Did she understand why it was not perfect? Or does Erdrick simply not care enough to improve her performance?

You can be butthurt all you want, but when you have been acting with zero regard for caution it doesn't take much but a single accident to sink your plans. You're a monster with nothing but cloth to disguise yourself in a city full of people that are suspicious of you. Then you go and attend a royal banquet. You do nothing there but stay on the sidelines waiting for people to come talk to you. Then you show off your spells in front of people who have no reason to like you. If you're going to try and rush to the top of the social ladder by making a spectacle of yourself, don't be surprised if you fall just as quickly. Even if Wisteria's drowning still happened, it would have been possible to talk your way out of it had you cultivated some better connections and stayed around.
That has nothing to do with the issue at hand - that is, wanting to eliminate the reason why Wisteria's drowning happened and ensuring it won't happen in the future.

While we can't change what happened, the latter should definitely be within our capabilities.

Also, while I see perfectly why our actions made it harder or outright impossible to fix this, all I see from where I am standing, without the knowledge of subsequent events, is that Rin was the one who lit the fuse of the bomb that blew up in our face.

I believe Nevill is butthurt because no-one predicted the "cow torpedo" event. Most people were aware both Rin and Aria were trying to do something, but no-one expeced... "That" to happen :lol:.
I did want to visit the tower for better visibility of the surroundings. But you are right, I did not expect Aria to agree to something like that.

I am more annoyed at that absolutely no conclusions have been made. It was just swept under the rug - and not that I want to dig it out, I'd be perfectly fine treating it as a 'let us never speak of it again', but it continues to happen.

I am trying my hardest not to blame her, but it doesn't mean I want to pretend that there is no issue here.

Edit: It was funny as hell, though. But now I am getting worried about the expedition (and the Dark Lord, and Athos, and a lot of other things that keep piling up), and would like to get a bit more serious.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I don't quite get the notation, is that victory for A?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom