Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
Uh, I'm surprised so many votes went for the actually helpful advice for Arlin, instead of the other more stupid but lulzy options. Perhaps the Codex does actually care for the young boy after all? Of course, it's possible its consequences turn out to be disastrous anyway, but the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. :M

Holy cow, I didn't expect the Codex would eventually accept this as an emoticon: :shittydog:

Kipeci

Arcane
I will be vindicated when the wraiths ambush us during the adventurer incursion now that they'll have the time to plan something out. :decline:

The village (more specifically, Zayan and the slimes) is worth more to me than Rin, I hate risking it like this.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I will be vindicated when the wraiths ambush us during the adventurer incursion now that they'll have the time to plan something out.
I think we can expect a visit from the Bandit Queen to happen. She will be desperate to get her daughter back, and the Cloakies would be glad to have some cannon fodder test our defences, first.

Which may lead to some interesting possibilities of taking hostages if we aren't careful, in an attempt to trade Tenia for them. The Abbess Queen is said to be very strong.

However, what if her daughter wouldn't want to leave us by then? It might be our chance to split and weaken the invaders if the mother could be convinced to stand aside, or better yet, join us. It is one of the ulterior motives I have when I give Arlin the advice aimed at establishing a decent relationship with Tenia. If the kid wants to stay, it might make things so much easier for us.

Let's hope the boy doesn't screw up. :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
That's a lot of speculation and pressure for poor Arlin. But then again we don't have much else to go with right now. I believe it is a certainty that the voice/s Rin heard are fellow demons, be these the traitors who betrayed the Demon God (which makes them our enemies technically), unrelated demons (which still doesn't make them our allies) or even Luna's Royal Vizier attempting to trick Rin into becoming the newest addition to their Royal Harem. :M

I'm not sure if we'll get the possibility of exchanging hostages or anything like that, considering how agressive and merciless the Bandit Queen seems to be. Nevertheless, at least the second-rate Nazghuls cloaked guys' attack will give us an excuse to finally go to the East in person, something I would be interested in doing.

Nevill

Arcane
That's a lot of speculation and pressure for poor Arlin.
Speculation? Maybe. I think it makes sense, though. A mother wouldn't abandon her child, would she? Tenia only mentioned her once, but she made her sound like a protective type.

If Tenya doesn't want harm to come to Arlin or any of his friends, that's probably a good safeguard against her mother. Of course, it isn't the Queen who is calling the shots, so even if Arlin succeeds (the kid sure has a way with words), it is not a reason to get complacent.

It's hardly a pressure on the boy - we keep these considerations to ourselves. For the moment, he wants to make up with Tenia, and it just happens to coincide with our plans.

I believe it is a certainty that the voice/s Rin heard are fellow demons, be these the traitors who betrayed the Demon God (which makes them our enemies technically), unrelated demons (which still doesn't make them our allies)
Well, we aren't a Demon King, so we don't technically have a reason to be their enemy. However, no matter who they are, they have proven subversive to our plans - or we to theirs, it doesn't matter. I very much doubt there would be unrelated demons involved, except as either their superiors or inferiors (who could be anyone).

Sadly, we have no idea who is running this plot. Maybe Tenia could help us make some sense of this.

I'm not sure if we'll get the possibility of exchanging hostages or anything like that, considering how agressive and merciless the Bandit Queen seems to be.
I can see her capturing Aria or Arlin as a way of saying 'give me my kid back, or yours gets it'.

We know nothing of her aggressiveness or mercilessness, really. All we have to go on are Fortunio's letter that mentioned nothing of a sort, plus Aria's account that she put up a good fight.

And any overly hostile action against us could result in a death of her daughter (the Queen doesn't know what we are up to), so I doubt she would push her luck. I would assume that if it comes to it, her primary goal would be saving her daughter, not making us miserable.

lightbane

Arcane
You are right, but we know that said Bandit Queen not only managed to have her men keep fighting even as Rin was making short work of them in a matter of seconds, she went as far as to attack our walking meatgrinder by herself (and even kept her at bay for a while)!

That sort of suicidal/superhuman bravery means she will stop at NOTHING to recover her daughter. But we shall see how it goes.

Also, I like how you assume Tenia still considers Arlin a friend in spite of her situation. :lol:

Come to think of it, B's message sounds slightly odd considering Erd is the one saying it, as if he was quoting a book by memory (which may be the case). So who knows if it will turn out okay or not. Only time will tell.

Nevill

Arcane
Also, I like how you assume Tenia still considers Arlin a friend in spite of her situation. :lol:
She doesn't have a lot of choice for company and conversation. He is the only person who is disposed to her favorably.

And, well, our advice to Arlin was to clear any misunderstandings. He only wanted to protect her... and he kind of did. It's not like the battle was without casualties, and Rin is way above the level of all the bandits combined. Can't stay mad at the young chap for that forever. And he has about a month to work his magic. :M

Come to think of it, B's message sounds slightly odd considering Erd is the one saying it
Yeah. :lol:

But it is a sound advice all the same.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Or are you really trying to switch us now by claiming that you were trying to manipulate us before? We won't be tricked.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
She doesn't have a lot of choice for company and conversation. He is the only person who is disposed to her favorably.

And, well, our advice to Arlin was to clear any misunderstandings. He only wanted to protect her... and he kind of did. It's not like the battle was without casualties, and Rin is way above the level of all the bandits combined. Can't stay mad at the young chap for that forever. And he has about a month to work his magic. :M

I don't think it's that simple.
Yes she was saved by him, but also betrayed by him. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised, if she formed man hating cult for short time if she managed to escape.

If by some miracle she forgives him, then I expect that we forgive Kyle Theoson for trying to end our miserable existence:lol:.

Nevill

Arcane
Yes she was saved by him, but also betrayed by him.
It is all in how you present it. She thinks she was betrayed because he led 'a monster' to their camp:
“I trusted you, you asshole! Then you led that monster to us! Was that why you approached me in the first place?” Arlin flinches, a look of guilt on his face. He seems at even more of a loss when tears begin falling from Tenia’s eyes.
In that, she is mistaken - Arlin was trying his best so that Rin wouldn't have a reason to enter their camp in the first place. He was the sole force keeping Rin out for a week. If not for the kids, the outcome of the battle could be worse, as Rin in not particularly interested in pulling her punches.

The only 'betrayal' from Arlin was that he withheld information about who he really was, but he had his reasons. The peaceful resolution he wanted would become outright impossible.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised, if she formed man hating cult for short time if she managed to escape.
If she managed to escape while being under wrong assumptions, perhaps. But that's what we are prodding Arlin for, to talk to her.

If by some miracle she forgives him, then I expect that we forgive Kyle Theoson for trying to end our miserable existence:lol:.
Kyle was trying to kill us, and he killed a woman that had nothing to do with our actions. He didn't exactly have our best interests in mind, and the results of his actions were clearly detrimental and irreversible.

The situations are hardly comparable. If Arlin had acted out of spite and his actions resulted in the death of her mother, we'd have at least some common ground between these cases.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Kyle also was literally itching for an excuse to remove Erdrick and take his "Hero" title, plus he had way too many issues to be considered "mentally stable", so it's not a good comparison. Still, it is a given Tenia will attempt to escape several times. Hopefully Arlin and/or the gobbos can keep her in check, especially during the incoming expedition, which will invariably become a chaotic affair.

That reminds me, treave, did Erdrick check at some point if his "inherited" paladin sword has something that sets it apart from other swords? Besides its magic flames I mean. I'm referring to stuff like the weapon being really hard to break, having some mysterious elven/dwarven/strange runes written along the edge, glowing when certain races are near the owner, etc. In any case, I say said sword should be temporally given to Arlin for practice. Mercant can take a regular sword from the stockage of scavenged weaponry we have to replace his giveaway.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That reminds me, treave, did Erdrick check at some point if his "inherited" paladin sword has something that sets it apart from other swords?

Seems like a normal sword to him. Intricate craftsmanship aside, he's not too impressed with it, to be honest. His old hero's sword was a lot more majestic.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I dunno man.
We did murder some men, who were comrades to her or even possible friends to her. Furthermore all this was done by buy, whom she had crush on.
No matter what his intentions were and how he saved her, Arlin still willfully lead a demons to her camp and used her for his own purpose or at laest I imagine what Tenia thinks of Arlin.

In my experience people are often judged based on where does their action lead on rather than what those intentions were.
Expecting Tenia to think Rationally this for at laest while dumb, perhaps never.

Kyle was trying to kill us, and he killed a woman that had nothing to do with our actions. He didn't exactly have our best interests in mind, and the results of his actions were clearly detrimental and irreversible.

The situations are hardly comparable. If Arlin had acted out of spite and his actions resulted in the death of her mother, we'd have at least some common ground between these cases.

Her mother maybe alive, but she lost comrades and friends and in her eyes Arlin barely lifted finger to save them.
Arlin didn't tell her that there was going to be ambush or that males will be butchered ( which was good for us, Arlin did exactly what we wanted ), so instead of spite, Arlin doomed at least half of her comrades to death due his loyalty to us.

I grant you it sounds more noble, but betrayal is betrayal.
Especially in crushed young maidens heart.

Baltika9

Arcane
Which is why I don't think of 1B as a good idea. In the end, it doesn't set him up for success (personally, I want Erdrick to take pride in his wards' successes) and it doesn't keep the girl docile. If Arlin had latent pimp potential, why aren't we using it to our advantage. Talking things through isn't going to solve anything between them and is for chumps, anyway. Either give him good advice (A) or let him figure it out for himself, since we've given him the heads up (D).
B and C are weak middle grounds.

Nevill

Arcane
We did murder some men, who were comrades to her or even possible friends to her. Furthermore all this was done by buy, whom she had crush on.
Arlin didn't kill anyone, and he wasn't the one making decisions. It would be blaming him for a situation that was essentially out of his control. A guilt by association with us. Not to say that these things don't exist, but the more reasonable the individual, the weaker their effect seems to be.

It was somewhat the same with Rin. While we lead our band of Theseuses to her doorstep and killed plenty of her teachers in the course of our expedition as is expected during a war, we didn't really do anything to harm her explicitly, or something that she would consider an unforgivable atrocity. We weren't even responsible for the death of her father. It was why - while still antagonistic to humans - she wasn't too keen on pursuing a personal vendetta with us, and by now she has become our partner, someone we (supposedly?) trust to watch our back.

No matter what his intentions were and how he saved her, Arlin still willfully lead a demons to her camp
Nope. Rin knew perfectly fine where their camp is, and Arlin did nothing to make her job easier. That's the truth of the matter. He didn't sneak her in at night, she walked right inside their camp and demanded them to submit or die.

I know, feels were hurt in the process, but everything that happened is hardly the boy's fault.

In my experience people are often judged based on where does their action lead on rather than what those intentions were.
Well, what did Arlin's actions lead to? Remove him from the equation, and you won't find a much different picture.

While Tenia regards us as enemies, or at least the 'bad guys', the worst of Arlin's sins is that he found himself in our service, not in doing them any active harm.

Actually, what I want to achieve through Arlin is to convince Tenia that we aren't really the bad guys. I mean, if Rin knocked her mother prone in a single blow, she could have just as easily cleft her in half. Tenia's own fate, likewise, could be much worse. Yet we let them live despite them technically being enemies. Maybe we can be reasoned with.

I still hope to snatch an employee from the Cloakies. Fortunio is a decent pawn, but the Queen sounds like a much better commander.

I grant you it sounds more noble, but betrayal is betrayal.
Especially in crushed young maidens heart.
Well. It is now Arlin's job to mend it. I have faith in him. :hero::lol:

Talking things through isn't going to solve anything between them and is for chumps, anyway.
Like explaining the situation to Rin back when we first met her in the new world never established an understanding between us. :M

In the end, it doesn't set him up for success (personally, I want Erdrick to take pride in his wards' successes) and it doesn't keep the girl docile. If Arlin had latent pimp potential, why aren't we using it to our advantage. [...] Either give him good advice (A)
Oh, but we are using it to our advantage. The boy has more success than we do. How many heads have we turned in the last week? Erdrick's whole problem is that he thinks A might be a good advice. :lol:

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Rin is (somewhat of) an adult and a warrior, Tenia is a teenager whose first love betrayed her. I don't think 'it wasn't my fault, they're reasonable people' will do anything but get Arlin a black eye. If we wanted to rationalize things to get and shift the blame from Arlin, we should've talked to her ourselves.
The kid has a direct way into her heart, let's help him get in there.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Rin is (somewhat) of an adult and a warrior
I love your 'somewhat'. :lol:

Rin is for all intents and purposes a teenager, and she acts like one. Come to think of it, Erdrick isn't too far away from her.

I don't think 'it wasn't my fault, they're reasonable people' will do anything but get Arlin a black eye.
Sure, I bet it will. Then, when the frustration goes away and feelz calm down a little, some of it might stick, because it's true.

Though 'not my fault' is not all there is to Arlin's explanation. 'I wanted you to be safe' is there too.

The kid has a direct way into her heart, let's help him get in there.
Arlin's claim to greatness would consist only of expecting two girls to put up with his 'I am too big of a person for either one of you' attitude, and not much else.

Though I agree, it would be a great suggestion if we wanted to make him more Erdrick-like. Schadenfreude is a thing. :lol:

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
He's got a way with women, unlike us, I think he can actually pull it off. Tenia seems like the action over thought type, I think she'll better respond to passion than logic.

lightbane

Arcane
Like explaining the situation to Rin back when we first met her in the new world never established an understanding between us.
Ah, but you see: some people believe Rin has actually trying to subvert our efforts since day 1, that she's a cunning manipulator whose attempts at commiting accidental suicide proving herself are a farce and not part of an increasingly worrying inferiority complex and that the day we least expect it she'll steal our power base and followers, then rip off our heart and hold it triumphantly as she laughs. Then kick a passing puppy to complete her evil act.

Nevermind the fact so far everything points out she might not even be able to make her own food, or be unable to do anything except to fight and terrorize people. :shittydog:

Sure, I bet it will. Then, when the frustration goes away and feelz calm down a little, some of it might stick, because it's true.

Hopefully we'll have enough time for that "cooling down" period to happen, since things are going to get ugly whether we want it or not.

Oh, but we are using it to our advantage. The boy has more success than we do. How many heads have we turned in the last week? Erdrick's whole problem is that he thinks A might be a good advice.

I thought you were in favor of establishing our own anime harem too. Although, depending of how complex and restrictive Angelic mating rituals are, Erd may have little choice in the matter except to perhaps choose his partner for the rest of his life.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, but you see: some people believe Rin has actually trying to subvert our efforts since day 1
That's Kz3r0, and even I don't know how serious he is anymore. :M

Hopefully we'll have enough time for that "cooling down" period to happen
They are kids. I don't expect it to last more than a week, especially when one of them is actively seeking ways to make up.

And if she vents out her pent up feels and gives him that black eye, probably even sooner. :M

I thought you were in favor of establishing our own anime harem too.
I don't see a contradiction. :M

Whatever Erdrick sees himself as, he is not a larger-than-life type. I am talking the 'I conquer empires, slaughter armies and gift away planets because I can' type of a great person that just can't help being over the top. He's too selfish for that.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
AB

We shall seethe with jealousy thanks to that little shit, Arlin aka Theseus, and Rin shall go off to find the cultists so that they don't inevitably fuck us over when we're in a far more precarious position.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom