Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I flop to AB
Lets face it guys. Our dong will never be able spread joy or hapiness to harem or let alone whole world of women. I am not sure that our angelic nature even allows love to spread to single women.
But we can somehow make up tiny friction of our love to women, should Arlin become our appreantices and spread his love around.

Us and Arlin are like siths with rule of two, one master and one appreantices.
We will undoubtly will be backstapped by Arlin, but our legacy and teachings shall live within his life style.
:M

lightbane

Arcane
I find your lack of faith in Erdrick's... Capabilities disturbing. Just wait until he finds himself more comfortable with his Angelic physiology. Sooner or later he'll start forgetting that he was at one point human, doubly so as time passes and he's forced to deal with increasingly colorful characters. At that moment he'll go full retard lose touch with reality become a larger-than-life person.

Also, Arlin will probably be too busy scratching away his fleas and taking care of several kitten to go around seducing women, because if I recall correctly goblins reproduce and grow up fast.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's what the goblin village is for. He'll drop by from time to time to spout pointless platitudes, just like his old man.
:love:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, was planning to update now but things got a bit busy. I'll update within the next 24 hours.

lightbane

Arcane
I personally would prefer three updates per week but I'm not that greedy and patience is a virtue. Plus RL stuff takes preference, of course.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Something bothered me about the last update, but I never understood what exactly... until I reread it.
“W-We didn’t do anything!”

“Oh?”

“Well… I-I didn’t do anything. She did… kiss me.”

You hear Petze squeak out loud and drop something.
Achievement unlocked - Petze has learned Methussian. In about a few weeks, too. Man, our Monster Chief aura is doing some wonders! :M

Arlin is definitely a good influence on her. :salute:

I do wonder, though, what would happen if we told a shy and timid (but well-liked, well-spoken and well-intentioned) guy to try and act like Don Juan. As far as I see it, the girls like him precisely because of his nature, not in spite of it.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I think she understood us because of Erd's permanently active translation spell, although that makes me wonder if so far he bothered to learn a little about the local language (chances are he didn't).

Nevill

Arcane
I think she understood us because of Erd's permanently active translation spell
It does translates Erdrick's words into whatever languages the other people speak, and it makes him understand Arlin, but it does nothing to translate Arlin's words to anyone else. That's how Zayan found something was off about our persona when we first met.

So the concerted effort to deepen human-goblin relationship resulted in a total success. :M

Well, it would be awkward for us to suggest talking to Petze if they were still communicating through sign language.

although that makes me wonder if so far he bothered to learn a little about the local language (chances are he didn't)
How and when would he do that? More importantly, why would he bother?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hastwell’s Request

“I can’t agree with that.” With no hesitation at all, you shoot down Rin’s plan.

“What? Why?” She seems astounded that you would say no. You are astounded that she would think otherwise. “It’s for your own good,” Rin continues, trying to persuade you. “I made an oath to-“

We made an oath,” you remind her. “And as I recall, the oath was for us to guard one another. We are in this together, Rinnefiela. We might not have known each other for long, but we know this world even less. Whatever might happen, we can deal with it together. You might think you are fulfilling your obligations by leading the enemy away from me but I cannot fulfill mine if you are not by my side.” You pause, wondering if you may have laid it on a little too thick with the flattery, and observe Rin’s reactions.

Strangely, contrary to what you had expected, she does not blush or stammer or get angry at your words. She does not argue with you or defend her plan or insult you. Instead, there is a thoughtful expression on her face. After a quiet moment of thinking, Rin nods in agreement. “Okay.” That is all she says, but for some odd reason that you can’t quite figure out, the look on her face and the word that she says churns your stomach. Despite that, a small sensation of relief spreads in your heart. Having a heated disagreement here would be unwise.

You hear the sound of wheels rattling, of hooves striking the ground and coming to a halt.

“It looks like he’s here,” says Rin, having picked up on the same sounds that you did.

“Well then, let’s welcome our guest, shall we?”

You undo your spell, allowing Ellen to rouse herself to wakefulness. Shortly after, as she is still blearily rubbing her eyes in an unpracticed manner, Ambrese Hastwell arrives. Dressed in a faded brown overcoat, he stoops and scrunches his broad shoulders together in an effort to get into the tower. The governor of Ontoglia has seemed to aged seven years in a week. His beard is ever more grayer and his wrinkles have deepened. There are dark furrows under his eyes, the sign of a man who has not had much rest at all.

“Ellen?” he croaks, catching sight of his daughter. The emotion in his voice is palpable. His eyes widen, and when they catch his daughter looking back at him, they water.

“That voice… can it be? Father?” Ellen’s own eyes begin to quiver as she stares at her father for the first time.

As they confirm their identities and engage in a heart-warming reunion between father and daughter, you scratch your chin idly and wait for them to finish so that you can get on with your business here. Besides you, there is a slight smile on Rin’s lips.

“You seem happy about this,” you whisper.

“Doesn’t this touch you at all?” she whispers back.

“They are human. Don’t you think of all humans as cattle?”

“T-That might be, but even livestock has family. Don’t you have family?”

“Honor and guilt by association is a fond pastime of the Seven Kingdoms. I can’t see them still being alive and well given what transpired at the time, so it scarcely matters anymore.”

“Ah… That.” She frowns at the memory.

You recall that she lost her father in the exact same event and decide to drop the conversation. Well, things have gone on for long enough. You clap your hands crisply and interrupt the parental bonding. The Governor looks up at you, away from his daughter, and he nods. Sighing heavily, he takes his seat across from you.

“Who is this?” He gestures at Rin. “Can she be trusted?”

She merely bows her head politely and smiles, leaving it up to you to do the talking.

“Of course,” you say smoothly. “There is none other in the world who understands me as much as she does.”

“Well, if you say so, if you say so. Trider Muhchacraken…” He hesitates, the words stalling in his throat.

“Yes, Governor? Is this where you tell me that you forgot to fulfill your end of the deal?”

“No, of course not. The magnatite has been loaded in a carriage just outside the windmill. A considerable amount, just as you requested. I could hardly carry the chest in here by myself, could I?”

You raise your eyebrows. “You came alone? Oh, is it that ploy where you place some form of time-delayed spell in the chest so that I will kill myself when I open it?” You are no stranger to that, having used precisely the same tactic to rid the world of one Pig-Duke of Butarn, a lascivious demon commander with a distasteful lust for human women and gold; it was said that no one knew which he loved more. You had used both, disguising both yourself as a woman to lower his guard – why waste real women on him? – and bringing a booby-trapped chest which contained Lobelia’s best spell as tribute. It had saved you a tough fight and given you a lot more time to loot his castle before the regular army had come storming in to do their part.

The Governor’s bushy eyebrows come together in a fierce scowl. “Why would I?” he growls, both offended and aghast at your suggestion. “I mean to live up to my word. Every bit of it. It is just that I needed to act shrouded in secrecy. Even if I am the governor of Ontoglia I am not able to do whatever I wish with the magnatite in its stores. There will be questions.”

“There are sixteen other people out there,” says Rin once Ambrese has finished talking. The Governor’s face pales.

“Father, what is the meaning of this?” asks Ellen, her hands on her hips. “Do you mean to break his trust?”

Ambrese sighs again, resting his head in his hands. “There should be seventeen.”

“Oh?” The corners of Rin’s lips tug up in a smile. “Hm, interesting. You might be right. What a sneaky one…”

“They are not your people, I assume?” you say, pointing your question at the Governor.

“You assume rightly. They are Duke Hargreave’s. I thought I could lose them if I acted alone, but it seems that they are more resourceful than I had expected. These are new recruits, men that I have not yet time to buy. Though I had an agreement with his previous agents, it seems that the Duke has caught on.”

“Or he could have known from the start and merely turned a blind eye.” You shrug. “No matter. What are they doing here? Do they plan to steal my magnatite?”

“I do not know,” replies Ambrese, wincing as he hears you refer to the magnatite as your possession. “This is part of the reason I led them all the way out here.”

“Oh? A betrayal, then? You would get your daughter back, and keep your magnatite to boot if it worked out for you. I can see why you would take this course of action,” you say nonchalantly as if nothing that is about to happen concerns you in the least.

“I came here with full intentions of handing you over to them if you had lied to me about my daughter’s condition. But I can see that… that you have done your part. This is a miracle. I do not know how you managed to achieve what the priests could not, and to be frank, I am too afraid to ask. If someone told me I could have sold my soul for my daughter to see I would have done so in a flash. I will not question a blessing such as this.” He takes in a deep breath and continues, “Thus I will do what I have to do to keep my daughter safe. Am I wrong?”

You shake your head vaguely and wait for him to speak.

“And if that is the case, I do not care if I have to walk the trials of fire or if I will be damned by the gods themselves. Please, Sir Muhchacraken. Deal with these agents of the Duke.” He bows his head as he pleads for your help.

“Hah.” Your cold snicker makes Ambrese freeze up. “You just want me to get you out from under his thumb, don’t you? But you do realize what you are asking of me…”

“Yes,” admits Ambrese. “I want you to help me remove his influence from my town and my men. And yes, I know that this will mean setting myself against the Duke. It is a price I am willing to pay. Now that you have healed my daughter, there are enough petty nobles in the Duke’s faction that will seek to go to great lengths to undo your work… or worse. Some of them are already openly suspicious of me over the loss of Zayan. For that reason alone I am willing to put myself in your hands. I… I cannot bear the thought of having her lose her sight again.”

“Father…” Ellen gently places her hand on his shoulder. “Do not say that.”

“It will be more painful to lose what you have once known, my child. I believe I am making the correct decision here.”

“You would have me kill them?” you ask quietly.

“I do not care much what you do with them, only that I cannot risk them reporting back now about what has happened here. The Duke is too preoccupied with the upcoming expedition to the Forest of Ruin that it will take time for him to move his resources to bear on Ontoglia. By that time I will be ready, and you will be amply rewarded.”

You lean back, steepling your fingers. “I see. Tell me more about these agents. I do not see why you could not have your town guards arrest them.”

“They were recruited from amongst the best adventurers in the country. This means that their combat potential and experience are both impressive. There are skilled mages and warriors both in their ranks, not to mention the intensive training in subterfuge that they have received upon recruitment. On top of it all, their leader is here.”

“The leader of a band of secretive agents? Some really strong old man?” you conjecture. A person flashes into your mind as a potential candidate. “Hey, he wouldn’t happen to be a blasphemous priest of some sort, would he?”

“No. Who are you talking about? I am talking about the Golden Snake, the Duke’s right-hand woman. She’s said to be an ageless master of poisons and disguises-“

You hold up your hand, interrupting him. “Wait. His right-hand woman, you say... Is she pretty?” you ask.

Ellen giggles. The exasperated expression on the Governor’s face threatens to blow out into a shout, but he manages to keep his temper under control. “N-No… I mean, I don’t know. She is rumoured to always wear a mask in her rare appearances. No one knows who she really is or how old she is…”

Holding his breath, Hastwell waits for your answer.

A. “Rin, do it.” You have Rin act to kill all of the men watching you and to capture this Golden Snake alive. There is no need for you to lift a finger. She would appreciate the workout anyway.

B. “Perhaps I should have a chat with them, see what they think about this.” You walk out to check on your chest of magnatite and to parlay with the Duke’s agents. You are sure that they have the capacity to see reason, should they choose to exercise it.

C. “I am only interested in what I came here for. You are on your own for this, Governor, though I am sure you can find some excuse to them for doing what you did.” You retrieve the magnatite from the carriage outside – surely they are not so foolish as to stop you – and teleport away.

Last edited:

m4davis

Scholar
B I just can't see us making the decision to put another opportunity like that in Rin's hands when we can examine if we even want the Golden Snake as a prisoner ourselves.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A>B - not sure why our stomach was churned over Rin. Maybe because we subconsciously realize she doesn't think we are hitting on her because she thinks we are gay?

Regardless, I want to lol at the slaughter. We can take the snake lady to the same priest after Rin accidentally tears out her eyeballs and impales her with her own ripped off legs. Gotta keep them in business. Maybe we can start earning a finder's fee

Nevill

Arcane
After a quiet moment of thinking, Rin nods in agreement. “Okay.” That is all she says, but for some odd reason that you can’t quite figure out, the look on her face and the word that she says churns your stomach.
She won't tell us what the problem here is, would she?

I know we are keeping her partly for selfish reasons... but there is more to it.

Is there some urgency to her request she is not telling us? She looks like she was convinced by logic, but her heart was not in there.

So. What is Erdrick's problem with humans, except that he isn't one? Well, he isn't a demon, half-elf, a slime or a goblin either, is he? Being a human and a non-human is an awfully strange distinction to make, seeing how he took in 2 human kids and ogles human women all the same.

I am kind of with Rin here. You can be a murder-machine and not lose capacity for basic emotion when it doesn't come to your victims. Though it's hardly the time to get all misty-eyed when there is a deal to be made and a potential ambush to sort out.

“I came here with full intentions of handing you over to them if you had lied to me about my daughter’s condition. But I can see that… that you have done your part. This is a miracle. I do not know how you managed to achieve what the priests could not, and to be frank, I am too afraid to ask. If someone told me I could have sold my soul for my daughter to see I would have done so in a flash. I will not question a blessing such as this.” He takes in a deep breath and continues, “Thus I will do what I have to do to keep my daughter safe. Am I wrong?”
“Yes,” admits Ambrese. “I want you to help me remove his influence from my town and my men. And yes, I know that this will mean setting myself against the Duke. It is a price I am willing to pay. Now that you have healed my daughter, there are enough petty nobles in the Duke’s faction that will seek to undo your work… or worse. Some of them are already openly suspicious of me over the loss of Zayan. For that reason alone I am willing to put myself in your hands. I… I cannot bear the thought of having her lose her sight again.”
Well, Ontoglia is certainly going to be in trouble soon. It is too crucial an artery for Methuss to accept her falling to the 'wrong hands', and Methuss belongs - or soon will belong - to the Crown Prince and his cronies. So it likely will result in the Governor's resignment and death, not necessarily in that order, with him eventually entrusting Ellen to our care because there are no other alternatives. I hope we would be able to fulfil our magnatite needs by then.

I'd like to take care of these agents to get Hastwell more time to prepare. Between the Ruins and the court intrigue Hargreave might have one hell of a time trying to root him out without an army. The longer the governor sits in his place, the less attention is directed to our forest.

I have very little reason to be interested in parlaying with the Duke's agents, and that 17th person really makes me suspicious.

Maybe because we subconsciously realize she doesn't think we are hitting on her because she thinks we are gay?
This was important to her for some reason, but in the best JRPG traditions she won't tell us until it's too late.

Hell, she didn't even intend to reveal it to us in the first place. Why is that? I suspect those are somehow related. There must be more to this.

Last edited:

Yeah, let's subvert the JRPG trope and pester her until she tells us everything. Erd has no patience for this sort of thing. He's not a 15 yo Jing. He's a man. Carnage pigeon. Whatever. Promise her a new sword or shoes or something if she just info dumps now, treave.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She won't tell us what the problem here is, would she?

Is there a problem with her having a thoughtful look, considering his words, and then agreeing to do as he says?

So. What is Erdrick's problem with humans, except that he isn't one?

He's just surprised that the self-avowed human hater cares. Where does it state that he has a problem with them?

Yeah, let's subvert the JRPG trope and pester her until she tells us everything. Erd has no patience for this sort of thing. He's not a 15 yo Jing. He's a man. Carnage pigeon. Whatever. Promise her a new sword or shoes or something if she just info dumps now, treave.

Are you sure you are reading the situation correctly?

lightbane

Arcane
Well, that went better than expected, the Guvernor is quite honorable after all. As usual, Rin won't tell us much until it is too late/we inquire her about this later.

Strangely, contrary to what you had expected, she does not blush or stammer or get angry at your words. She does not argue with you or defend her plan or insult you. Instead, there is a thoughtful expression on her face. After a quiet moment of thinking, Rin nods in agreement. “Okay.” That is all she says, but for some odd reason that you can’t quite figure out, the look on her face and the word that she says churns your stomach. Despite that, a small sensation of relief spreads in your heart. Having a heated disagreement here would be unwise.

Flirt test failed. At least she didn't react as a tsundere would like Erd expected.

B>A. I fail to see how we can convince them to let us go away, so at best we can choose between defeating them personally or letting Rin do it. If we choose B Rin will go outside with us anyway in case a fight ensues, right?

Nevill

Arcane
Is there a problem with her having a thoughtful look, considering his words, and then agreeing to do as he says?
No problem with that at all.

There might be a problem if there are considerations that compel her to act, and yet she does not tell us of them. If those are one of her usual 'funny impressions of reality', that is of no consequence. However, not many of those would make a person make a face that would be painful to look at.

He's just surprised that the self-avowed human hater cares. Where does it state that he has a problem with them?
This quote:

Sounds to me like 'No, it doesn't, because they are human. Should it?'

I might have misinterpreted it.

Are you sure you are reading the situation correctly?
No. I have no clue what to make of the situation. Maybe it's just because of the general lack of thoughtful looks on her face so far. :M

The situation can be read in several ways. The way I read it is that she is not content with our decision, but agreed to it anyway.

Anyway, it looks like I have misjudged Governor Hastwell. I thought him to place the stability of his city first and foremost, and instead it appears that his daughter was worth much more to him. I admire him a bit. Not many people out there would declare that 'no cost is too high' and actually follow through on it. He is a dead man walking, and he just knows it, but it doesn't matter. :salute:

I will vote for A. If my gut feeling is correct - which, I will admit, may be having technical troubles lately - the most dangerous assassin would try and avoid Rin and head for us, while the trash keeps the princess busy. My only concern, though, is her mastery of disguise. The last several masters of that art (Juuzo, Tulu Huodu and Shulgi) were capable of pure bullshit. It would be nice to have some way of verifying that Rin is actually Rin next time we see her.

Not interested in taking prisoners this time, though wouldn't refuse it if an opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
However, not many of those would make a person make a face that would be painful to look at.

If a thoughtful expression is painful to look at that's a problem of the one doing the looking. Are you certain it is painful though?

Sounds to me like 'No, it doesn't, because they are human. Should it?'

It was said with mock concern. He was dodging the question in favour of smugly poking at her beliefs for his own amusement. "They're humans, you know, the race you hate so much? Why are you getting touched over them?"

If she brings us the spines of our enemies, I'm pretty sure it means she loves us. If she brings us their dicks, it means she loves us, but still thinks we're gay.

Nevill

Arcane
Are you certain it is painful though?
No I am not certain. I have no idea what the look was, after all.
That is all she says, but for some odd reason that you can’t quite figure out, the look on her face and the word that she says churns your stomach.
To make one's stomach churn means to make one uneasy and nervous... right? It gives me the vibe of some kind of resignation on Rin's part.

Much lulz will be had, if what Erd did was akin marriage request in demon world.:lol:
However I look at it, it does not come off like something 'positive'. Maybe I am just paranoid around her. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I fail to see how we can convince them to let us go away, so at best we can choose between defeating them personally or letting Rin do it. If we choose B Rin will go outside with us anyway in case a fight ensues, right?

They might not have planned for a fight in the first place.

asxetos

Augur
A. This is a gift really. We get a hold over Ontoglia and we dont get the blame for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom