Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your all-time favorite NPC in a CRPG

Callaxes

Arbiter
Ok, so someone had to do it. Better luck next time HyberBoy.

Chefe

Erudite
The guy who gives you the first sword in Zelda.

IT IS DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE. TAKE THIS.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ajira, the Khajit mage in the Balmora Mage Guild in Morrowind.
I like her attitude.

She sends you to collect some flowers and mushrooms and then writes in her reports:
"Ajira works very hard to go all over Bitter Coast and collect all these mushrooms. Ajira deserves rank of Journeyman much sooner than Galbedir."

"Ajira works very hard to collect these flower samples from the dangerous Lake Amaya. Ajira must do two reports and Galbedir must only do one silly report. Ajira deserves rank of Journeyman very soon now."

And honourable mention must go to Crassius "Dirty Old Man" Curio from the same game. Not many game where you are forced to undress to get help from an NPC. ;-)
Morrowind doesn't have *many* memorable NPCs, but those that are are good.

aboyd

Liturgist
Annah.

Annah suddenly leaned in, and she bit me sharply on the neck, giving a soft hiss. Rather than pulling back, she pressed closely into me and whispered into my ear.

“D'yeh fancy yer chances?” Her tail began to lash slowly back and forth, but the rhythm was more hypnotic than angry. I could feel Annah’s heart beating fast in her chest, and the color rising into her cheeks. I suddenly became conscious of the fact that Annah’s skin was smooth, soft. “I want tae tell yeh something, an’ yeh can’t poke fun at me.”

“All right…” I replied.

“Do yeh know I like the way yeh smell? Oh, aye — it drives me barmier than a Chaosman, it does.” She sniffed up the side of my cheek, and she gave a low, eager hiss. “I see the way yeh look at me, and I like it. Yeh've got hungry eyes, yeh do. It makes me a-fire.”

“I want tae bite yeh, soft-like around the neck…” She teased the side of my neck with her teeth, never breaking skin, and with every whisper, I could feel her breath along my ear. Her hand slid up around the back of my neck, and tightened, and I could feel her nails digging into my skin. “I want ta drag me nails along the back of yer neck, and force yeh to kiss me.”

Keldorn

Scholar
Yeah, Irenicus.

He's a little over-the-top (like me), but that's the way uh-hu uh-huh I like it...

callehe

Liturgist
Marcus the supermutant is my personal favorite. I liked his comination of down to earth thinker/machine gun toting muscle mutant.

The twins in VTMB provided some good enterntainment. The "twist" was a funny and not entirely expected.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Dogmeat yet. I never developed any fondness for the pooch myself, but people here seem to like him.

The_Pope

Scholar
HK-47.

I know he's a pretty two dimensional character, but I just love killbots.

Oarfish

Prophet
Smiling Jack from bloodlines. Great writing and superb voice acting.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Minsc was the first RPG character to make a strong impression on me. I played BG 1 and 2 before most of the other classics.

Slylandro

Scholar
Surprising that nobody mentioned Dakkon and Fall From Grace, considering they are probably the two best characters from Torment. Sure, Annah is sexy, but she wasn't as intriguing or as well developed in the other sense of the word. A chaste succubus that runs a scholastic brothel. You can't get more original than that. Morte was quite good but his back story does not really approach Dakkon's level. Actually I can't think of any NPCs in the past or recent RPG history that have approached Dakkon's level. The only complaint I have is that there was not much nonlinearity when it came to unraveling the circle of Zerthimon. You either progressed to the next stage of dialog with Dakkon, or you didn't. There were no gradations and it was completely dependent on wisdom and intelligence IIRC.

RAG

Educated
That would be Dak'kon. I am not a big fan of AD&D so wasn't familiar with the story of the planes and other races. I really loved unlocking the circles of Zerthimon.

Edit : Damn you beat me to it

fastpunk

Arbiter
Slylandro said:
Surprising that nobody mentioned Dakkon and Fall From Grace, considering they are probably the two best characters from Torment. Sure, Annah is sexy, but she wasn't as intriguing or as well developed in the other sense of the word. A chaste succubus that runs a scholastic brothel. You can't get more original than that. Morte was quite good but his back story does not really approach Dakkon's level. Actually I can't think of any NPCs in the past or recent RPG history that have approached Dakkon's level. The only complaint I have is that there was not much nonlinearity when it came to unraveling the circle of Zerthimon. You either progressed to the next stage of dialog with Dakkon, or you didn't. There were no gradations and it was completely dependent on wisdom and intelligence IIRC.

I still pick Kreia as my favorite NPC but Dakkon and Grace are definitely complex and unique and deserve a mention.

NiM82

Prophet
If playable, Myron. He's the polar opposite to the stereotypical heroic/tough guy NPC, he was just a chicken shit coward. Not very practical, but good for a snigger.

Non Playable, Shodan. For a character you hardly see and have little interaction with, the sense of presence and personality was awesome. Smiling Jack was pretty good as well.

Andrej

Liturgist
Wooz, because he's a colorful personality and his dialog is true to his character.

Deleted member 7219

Favourite NPC for me would be between the following:

Canderous, Khelgar, Sand, Kaelyn

DemonKing

Arcane
Viconia in the BG series was pretty good.

I also have a soft spot for Bastilla.

My favourite non-party NPC would probably be the dark side instructor in the original KOTOR. Great look and voice acting!

chaedwards

Liturgist
Trajkov from Geneforge - the big foozle who isn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom