Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter what is your personal 2015 RPG GOTY(roleplaying game game of the year) ?

pick one

• Total voters

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apotheon.

Lhynn

Arcane
Apotheon.

Apotheon is a heroic action game. Thread is about cRPGs, if that wasn't clear.
fanboy.png
repressedhomorainbow.gif
dumbfuck.gif

What happened? can you direct me to the thread?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Im gonna have to be honest here: Witcher 3.

I simply had fucking fun with it. It had a great story (to me) great characters, interesting shit happened. I adored the graphics, i kinda liked the combat system, i was very impressed with the amount of choice and consequence, and the attention to detail in the gameworld, gwent was cool. I dont give a fuck if its an rpg light, its more of an rpg than it is an action game if you ask me. I fucking loved the game. It maybe didnt have the strongest rpg elements or did anything groundshaking to the genre, but i dont care since i was entertained, and this is what games should be about.

The two other big contestants, Underrail and AOD, will have to wait until February. I simply have too much shit to do in rl right now and i dont want to spoil the fun of my first playthrough with these babys by constantly having a guilty conscience in the back of my head that urges me to do the stuff i should be doing. Same goes for SITS. Witcher 3 simply had a better timing with its release.

There were other great rpgs this year though: Wasteland 2 DC (which was a BLAST) Shadowrun Hong Kong (good game, although not as good as Dragonfall) POE (good game despite its flaws)

This truly was a great year for rpgs, i hope 2016 will continue the trend.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Apotheon.
I had a lot of fun with Apotheon: it has competent action-based combat, a sprinkling of character progression and inventory, excellent art design in the style of classical Greek vase painting, and fun level design with a few twists to keep things fresh. Not close to being an RPG, though.

Polanski

Scholar
Does this poll actually have any say in what becomes the official Codex rpg of the year?
Because if so, it is very exiting. I expect a lot of fanrage and flaming :)

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The more I play Underrail the less highly I think of it. There's a huge amount of wasted time. A perfect example is the Kill the Beast quest in the Foundry. Without meta-knowledge, you're looking an upwards of thirty, if not more, cell transitions. Twenty with meta-knowledge. And this is all made worse by the fact that most cells are empty, without any combat opportunities, and some take a good twenty or thirty seconds to pass through. In the end, you will probably spend 10-15 minutes watching loading screens and your character walk through empty cells, and maybe 8-10 minutes actually playing the game (if you kill shit slowly). This is one of the worst cases since the quest involves very little combat, but clearing out a Burrower nest for the fourth time isn't much different from wasting your time traversing the map, if anything it's worse. Underrail could have been so much better with fewer cells and enemies.

Sorry if you read that already, but...

I use Cheat Engine's 1.5x speedhack as default (exploration/combat) and 5x for navigating through safe areas. I operate the speedhack thingie with my mouse's thumb buttons (macros FTW!). Setting that up improved my Underrail experience by about 500%.

It's quite telling that you can increase the game's speed by no less than 50% and it doesn't look like everyone is running on crack. I feel like the default speed is some kind of elaborate troll. :roll:

I wholeheartedly recommend this solution to people who got annoyed with the many MANY ways Underrail wastes your time. The backtracking, the box opening progress bar, the trap disarming progress bar...everything is less painful when it wastes half a second instead of ten, IMO.

That and the font solution (check my sig) = 80% of the complaints ITT are solved. As for the KOOL-DOWNS, well...uninstalling Underrail AND Divinity: Original Sin solves all your CD-related grievances. :smug:

Srsly tho, If CDs annoy you THAT much, try playing a burst fire AR or SMG build with no stealth. Burst fire has no CD so the only CD you'll be dealing with will be medkit + grenade

I voted for AoD, tho. The C&C and reactivity are simply the best I've ever seen in any game I played + the ruleset/system is absolutely beautiful.

AoD.

Underrail shouldn't even be on the list, as it isn't an RPG.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Honestly, it would have been AoD, but Underrail is good enough to tie. If I had to pick one I would pick AoD since it removed a lot of crpg tropes and tried something new. I think Underrail, surprisingly, had a very similar story approach (I loved the emails in the building complex in the deep caverns). Underrail embraced the crpg tropes that I usually dislike but they did it extremely well. I also liked the feat and ability choice every even level and taking stats in a special like system over 10. I also liked the camera and fixed perspective of Underrail far more than stupid gay rotating cameras. But, if I can't have a tie I would pick AoD as it is a fantastic game with pretty good combat especially for a single character game that removed a ton of crpg tropes and really tried something new and did it beautifully.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You still haven't explained why Underrail is not a RPG. Turn-based tactics game and a exploration crawling simulator are called cRPGs, as far as I know.

So Far Cry 3 and X-com are RPGs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom