Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Martius

Liturgist
There is magic knight which uses hammers and shield plus spell. I dont think there is any viable option for unarmed style.
Online offers alchemist which looks like something exctaly like that, maybe that would be new class in potential sequel.

Combat lacks weight. I can only grab on a Chimera's ass and hack two minutes on it dully until I get bored of it. Or maybe I'm just not in the right mood right now.
Strange, if anything most people praise combat as best aspect of game. Anyway most monsters have some kind of weak point. Next time maybe try whacking other heads instead of ass!

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, I've no idea why you'd cling to the ass and scratch away when it has really obvious weakpoints and the pawns were probably telling you what to do.

I dont think there is any viable option for unarmed style.
Iirc there is actually some sort of unarmed 'weapon' in the form of gloves that let you do a lot of damage weaponless, but I dunno how viable it is and it'd be rather boring since all the attack skills are linked to the weapon types- unarmed has none.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
This game is tedious and almost as bland as british food.

Japan shoud stay the fuck away from the western rpg style and continue to make their little rapey games and other nonsenses.

-The interface is horrible.Buying/selling things is cumbersome and equipping gear is as much fun as a toothache.
-The voice acting is from bad to very bad,everyone sounds like someone who would act for 7$ an hour.
-The writing is hilarious,they tried to use some archaic english bullshit that sounds like an autistic kid that got lost at some random old english festival.
-The combat is bland and feels too game'y,no weight behind your attacks and sometimes they don't seem to register even to you hit the target dead on.
-Melee feel much responsive than range.Mage especially suck ballz,the spells are cumbersome to use and from a large variety of spells,just 2-3 seem to be viable.
-The world feels dull and lifeless.
-The quests are 99% fetch/kill quests.

Console game 101:bland,lifeless and not worth more than 5$ on a rainy day.

These days i seem to have more fun waiting for the game to download than to actually play it.

Oh yhea and be careful

''The higher the fall,the more damage you get'' Ohh geee,thanks japan man !

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why are these racist retards commenting on a japanese ARPG set on a western inspired gameworld beign gamey? The fuck you were expecting?
It was supposed to be Devil May Cry combat ffs!
If it is slow and methodical like Dark Souls, you say it is slugglish and not fun you cant awesome button your way to success, and if it is fun, fast, arcadey and awesome buttony like Dragons Dogma then it is not high brow enough for your shit
Go back to fucking Diablo 3

Martius

Liturgist
Just remember that there is no option to start with that class. First you need to play some time as warrior, strider or mage. Then after some time you can buy other classes.

Suicidal

Arcane
What does the criticism "too game-y" even mean when talking about a video game? That the game is too much like a game and not enough like a movie or something?

Ebonsword

Arcane
What does the criticism "too game-y" even mean when talking about a video game? That the game is too much like a game and not enough like a movie or something?

I think a game being too "gamey" can be a valid criticism. I usually use it to mean that the game's systems feel kind of arbitrary instead of trying to simulate something in the real world.

For example, it annoyed the hell out of me how you had to stack characters in Disgaea.

Disgaea_%2528PS2%2529_50.jpg

I suppose there's some of that in Dragon's Dogma (like only being able to have three skills equipped at the same time even though you know many more), but I wouldn't consider it particularly bad in that regard.

Avellion

Erudite
Seems like the released demo has had quite the impact on the game's sales.

KXq7k0P.png

I wouldnt say magic attack and strength is particulary important. That stuff comes naturally with gear, and BBI gear has some insane stats on it. What is more imporant is the HP stat.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont these prices are in USA dollars.
I would be inclined to agree, but FO4 still costs sixty sea shells. The hell are those prices?

I think a game being too "gamey" can be a valid criticism. I usually use it to mean that the game's systems feel kind of arbitrary instead of trying to simulate something in the real world.

For example, it annoyed the hell out of me how you had to stack characters in Disgaea.
Disgaea never pretended to be even attempting to simulate something in the real world. Well, maybe when you consider that shonen animu exists in the real world, it could be considered to be emulating that.

praetor

Arcane
If you look to plan your character
This brings up an important question for me ... I see a ton of theorycrafting on this game ... is it okay for me to just make a dude and blunder around trying to kill shit, at least for a while?

yes. there's really no need to optimize/minmax your build in this game. play as you wish your first time. leave the minmaxing for your second/third/nth time

Delterius

Arcane
If you look to plan your character
This brings up an important question for me ... I see a ton of theorycrafting on this game ... is it okay for me to just make a dude and blunder around trying to kill shit, at least for a while?

No problem at all. Most difficulty you should have in vanilla Dragon's Dogma should stem from not knowing the best skill for each monster and that's par for the course. I myself don't like to plan stat growths since I think its detrimental to the experience. Most people plan to use either Assassin or Sorcerer to reach higher attack power over level ups. That's going all the way up to level 100, at least, without the class you actually want to play. Mind you that Vanilla Dragon's Dogma and a first run of the Dark Arisen expansion can be accomplished way, way earlier than that.

However, you should give a quick read to the Pawn Inclinations I linked earlier. When designing your main Pawn you'll answer question in regards to desired behavior. Next to it are bars that tell you the priority of each Inclination versus the answer you are about to give. The thing is that the difference between Challenger and Scather, etc, aren't immediately obvious. To ensure your fun I only recommend that you give some thought as to whether you want pawns close by or not. There's nothing worse than being a Sorcerer and having your support pawns lure the big bad to you all the time.

PirateScum

Augur

Most difficulty you should have in vanilla Dragon's Dogma should stem from not knowing the best skill for each monster and that's par for the course.

You'll hear it a lot in the near future, but let me be the first to tell you, that...

GOBLINS ILL LIKE FIRE! :smug:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
WOLVES RUN IN PACKS!

THERE'S AUGHT TO FIND IN THOSE CRACKS.

ARE YOU ALRIGHT, ARISEN?

LOOK THERE, A GOBLIN!

WE BEST STAY WARY, ARISEN.

Best. AI. Ever.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is weird but remeber that your pawns "learn" from your actions; if you like running around picking items in the middle of combat they will too, if you target weaker enemies first they will too etc. you can influence them directly by sittong them on the stool and telling them what you want then to do and use the speciak potions but it takes time. I would suggest picking q magic user class for your main pawn and having them be more of a complementary role with buffs and heals for your main char since most pawns are kind of retarded...because they were inproperly taught by their players mostly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom