Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Lightning has returned! Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns - Out for PC now

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think Lightning is that popular, except with Toriyama. I don't play these games for the story, so I don't care much either way. Sazh is cool, though. Vanille is basically Rikku.

Does it have to be connected all the time or only when it launches? I don't really like torrenting stuff (becuase I live in a cave...) but it seems like they've forced my hand.

Every time it launches, as far as I can tell. Personally I always use cloud synchronization anyway, but it is a blatantly stupid decision on SE's part. I hope they look into patching it out.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
If you could only run during combat you would actually be able to take advantage of positioning. But Lightning can only slowly walk.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Don't worry, they'll stop fetishizing the place after getting robbed and raped by Mohammed and Mouloud a few times and seeing nothing but niggers while they travel here as tourists.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They listened: http://steamcommunity.com/games/345350/announcements/detail/72420586378760402

24th December 2015 Game Update

Hi everyone and thank you for playing LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASYXIII!

On the 24th of December 2015 we issued a game update, the details of which are below:

Changes to game content:

1. The following display resolution settings have been added:
「3840 x 2160」「3200 x 1800」「2880 x 1620」「2560 x 1440」
「2400 x 1350」「2160 x 1215」

Caution: Please note that if a resolution setting is selected that is not supported by your display, the game will automatically run at the maximum resolution available within your PC environment.

Caution: Depending on the resolution settings selected, the game may suffer considerable drops in processing speed or cease to boot properly. It is recommended that you play using resolution settings suitable for your PC’s specifications.

2. Support for booting the game in an offline environment:
As LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASY XIII is a software title that supports SteamCloud, it previously required an online environment for play. We have listened to your feedback, however, and added in the ability to boot the game in an offline environment as well.

We hope you continue to enjoy LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASY XIII and wish you a very happy holiday.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't worry, they'll stop fetishizing the place after getting robbed and raped by Mohammed and Mouloud a few times and seeing nothing but niggers while they travel here as tourists.

Funnily, last time I was in Paris I mostly saw about 90000000000000000 Japs doing peace signs, taking selfies and few Americans, all Texans for some reason, bitching about no one speaking MURICAN GOD DAMMIT!

This was in 2009, long before the word "selfie" even existed. And I wish it still didn't. Point is, the fapanese were already doing it. Actually some of the aforementioned Texans asked me to take a picture of them at the Place de la Concorde, in front of the obelisk. Imagine that, asking someone else to take your picture instead of using a retarded stick. Talking to other people, what is this, the dark ages?

Anyway, is RAITONINGU RETANZU FAINARU FANTASHI DOMO ARIGATO MISTA ROBOTO as horribly ported as the previous 2? The last post makes it seem so.

amdus

Arbiter
According to comments on steam forums, to play the game steam cloud needs to be enabled even in offline mode. People that disabled cloud globally in steam client still can't play the game.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Runs great for me. Definitely better than the FF XIII port.

I haven't tried the >1080p resolutions though.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The game is a fun action/adventure title. I like dressing women up like dolls and playing with them. :bounce:

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Alll that effort could go into entry with job system! :negative:
It is an entry with a job system.

In fact, it is one of the best job and combat systems in the franchise. Plus a kick ass soundtrack and Lightning is beautiful as a rose.

nil

Cipher
At least she isn't doing a shitty reality show.

"Lightning Strikes Twice - A video game character turned factory worker's quest for higher pay"

Malpercio

Arcane
someone remind me why they pushed this nothing of a character so hard. did someone at square accidentally order too many lightning action figures they needed to get rid off?

http://www.p4rgaming.com/motomu-tor...-to-dress-up-as-lightning-for-the-third-time/

Motomu Toriyama Frustrated by Girlfriend Refusing to Dress Up as Lightning for the Third Time
BY JACK · FEBRUARY 11, 2014

In celebration of the Western release of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, director Motomu Toriyama once again made a request to his girlfriend to dress up as Lightning to which she declined once again.Even before the initial announcement of Lightning Returns, Toriyama was enamored with the idea of having Lightning become the new face of Final Fantasy. His request has repeatedly been denied, but his love for the character still remains. This is quite evident through the many complaints his girlfriend has made over the years. Toriyama himself seems to be unaffected by these complaints even going as far as repeating them in various interviews.

“Lightning is truly beautiful, not to say my girlfriend is not,” said Toriyama during a press conference aboutFinal Fantasy XIII-2 in 2010. Many in the press were surprised to hear that Toriyama managed to get a girlfriend especially after the fiasco in 2008 when Toriyama was arrested for soliciting prostitutes. He still maintains that he was not paying them for sex but just wanted them to dress up as Lightning.

“But my girlfriend does not like Lightning,” continued Toriyama, “She keeps asking me when I am going to give up on Lightning and make a real video game. Little does she know I am making a real video game called Final Fantasy XIII-2. I just do not understand why she has to call me such mean names because of my request for her to dress up as Lightning. I only asked her twice and I think that there are many men out there who ask their girlfriends to dress up as her. This is not a weird request.”

Members of the press in Japan today were surprised to hear that Toriyama has managed to maintain this same girlfriend even after hearing all of the complaints she made about him in the years before. Toriyama revealed his growing impatience with his girlfriend when talking about the Western review scores forLightning Returns.

“Seven out of ten is a wonderful score for this game because seven is Lightning’s favorite number,” explained Toriyama today, “I am glad that so many people in the United States and beyond can appreciate what Lightning has done for the video game world. If only my girlfriend understood. She locked me out of our apartment the other day when I asked her to dress up as Lightning to celebrate the release of Lightning Returns in the west. I thought the third time would work and it has been over three years since the last time I asked.”

“But to be honest, I am this close to breaking up with her,” said a frustrated Toriyama, “There is blame on both sides however. She refuses to dress up as Lightning, I accidentally called her Lightning a few times. We both have made mistakes. The most important thing is that my work does not suffer and looking at the review scores for Lightning Returns, I can truly say that I have made my magnum opus.”

After the interviews, Toriyama left the press area but came back a short while later to take away a large cardboard cutout of Lightning to presumably bring home.

This article is BS. Everyone knows Lighting is Toriyama girlfriend.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I honestly hope Lightning appears everywhere, like FF7's remake and every other shit Square Enix. My reasons:
  • She's cool, pretty and I like her voice;
  • The thought of her appearing in any game apparently makes tr00 mature fans lose their shit;
  • Everyone is going to buy FF7 anyway. It won't matter if Square pisses a small minority off.
Seriously. I dream that there will be a quest to ressurrect Aerith that will take hours, and then when you get her body to a magical river to ask for a goddess to revive her, Light's theme plays, she appears and tells us that we should let go. Then she joins the party and is basically Orlandu on steroids, so that everyone wants to use her.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Took them long enough, but the Steam cloud is finally optional now:

Feb 2016 Update
Thank you for your continued support of LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII.
An update the game has been implemented as of Feb 24rd 2016

Update content:
1. Alongside Valve’s SDK updates, the game can now be played even when Steam Cloud is turned off.
2. Display issues when using several models of graphics card such as the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series have now been improved.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finally started playing it, and you can tell they definitely put a lot of effort into this port.
Just have a look at the first tutorial screen that pops up.

gKYv3Q8.jpg

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Same level of dedication as with the Daku Souru PC Porteru.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Not like anyone reads tutorials, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom