Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tasteful Understated Nerdrage/MrBtongue Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good, baby steps. Now, can you imagine how a game about unequal opponents and with unequal builds and tactics might be a fun one?

Yes, but so what? We've already covered that balance is not a thing that ruins fun.

Delterius

Arcane
Good, baby steps. Now, can you imagine how a game about unequal opponents and with unequal builds and tactics might be a fun one?

Yes, but so what? We've already covered that balance is not a thing that ruins fun.
But can you imagine how one defines balance alters the whole game, a concept that is felt through the way classes, CCs, skills, items and encounters interact with one another?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Your point remains me of the bethtards defending bugs and glitches ,coz they are hilarious!!! ,yeah for a while then it's just stupid ,as every OP or unbalanced aspect in most games.It's just slower in RPG to get to that point.

Delterius

Arcane
Your point remains me of the bethtards defending bugs and glitches ,coz they are hilarious!!! ,yeah for a while then it's just stupid ,as every OP or unbalanced aspect in most games.It's just slower in RPG to get to that point.
But thankfully, I have taught you that you can have lots of barbarians in a party. So we are ok.

Still, sounds like you enjoy missing forests for the trees. Mind you that PoE isn't a balanced RPG, it has its share of unbalanced builds and cheesy moves. If you insist in believing that 'more cheese' is all there is to the discussion of how to balance a CRPG or the parallels and difference between different balance paradigms from the 90s/AD&D versus the 2010s, then be my guest. Baby steps.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
No you miss it,Lead Designer interested in balance is good thing not bad,to what extend he is good at it is up to debate though.Most RPGs hit that "My party/PC is now OP as fuck" level and if that is not recognized by the designer and he puts some thought how to add challenge then people will rightfully say game is easy/non challenging and ultimately boring.This hits early in Pillars and is one of the reasons why so many cry about something like lack of hard counters and immunities,it takes away tools for designing challenging encounters,so the point where you become OP is pushed further.
Not to mention that anything related to non turn based is pointless waste of energy.

Delterius

Arcane
No you miss it,Lead Designer interested in balance is good thing not bad,to what extend he is good at it is up to debate though.Most RPGs hit that "My party/PC is now OP as fuck" level and if that is not recognized by the designer and he puts some thought how to add challenge then people will rightfully say game is easy/non challenging and ultimately boring.This hits early in Pillars and is one of the reasons why so many cry about something like lack of hard counters and immunities,it takes away tools for designing challenging enchanters ,so the point where you become OP is pushed further.
Have I said that adding challenge to a game is a bad thing?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
He's jumped on the PC train. That's a bit disappointing.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
He really went to shit. I didn't even care when he made that Gamergate video, but he really blew it on this video.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Good comments though (by a dude that does some decent videos of his own):
Al Russell
I largely share the sentiment of more variety being a positive trait, but I don't quite agree with either the blame or the means of implication. Corporatist gamemaking is often entirely creatively bankrupt because it's evident they view games as products and not a valuable means of expression, cultural or otherwise. The Witcher 3 is so evidently filled with love for its craft and its culture's mythology that it shows through every facet. On the other end, the Assassin's Creed series is incredibly diverse, but in many ways, entirely cynically. The cultures it features are little more than a sterile backdrop, most of the games play entirely the same, they all begin with a "don't hit us" disclaimer, etc. I think it's far more a matter of approach than a greater cultural sickness. Independent games have been offering a huge variety of viewpoints etc, and while there's a fair share of idiots who'll still decry people for making games they don't like, they're not as much of a devastatingly stagnating force as sheer "Obey, Consume" studios who only view players as potential consumers.

Soulcucker

Savant
maxresdefault.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
It's a pretty shitty video, to be honest. I'm all for some self-flagellation but he goes overboard with his "white cis-male" insecurity.
"OMG HOW MANY CD PROJEKTS WE TURNED AWAY BY SHOWING RAPE??" - zero, my friend. They like tits because they are straight males, you fucktard.
He confuses cultural diversity with some retarded gender politics which I wouldn't expect from him because he seems like a smart guy. His second point about "offensiveness" of some things and the repeated clips of showing the locked up princesses are outright retarded. Bleeh, totally spoiled my morning.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Poor video. His argument doesn't support his conclusion and his white guilt is really cringey to watch.

Anyone who would be discouraged from getting into game design because they saw a boob doesn't have the temperament to create anything worthwhile.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Is anyone even surprised? His pseudo-intellectual wankery where he tries to use "big words" to sound smart should be clear sign of his persona.

tormund

Arcane
He's jumped on the PC train. That's a bit disappointing.
Well, that seems to be the case with large number of YT personalities that specialize in "postmodernist video game analysis". It would be surprising to see a video with one of them NOT sharing this kind of views.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I agree, pointless video. Creativity and new ideas don't come from what you were born as, they come from *drum roll*... intelligence and education. Shocking, I know.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
He's got something of a point, in that there's a definite cultural difference between the sort of games people from different countries make. We could do with less fucking Kwan games.

The problem is that he doesn't get that when people talk about "diversity", they're always talking about artsy, hipster Kwans who can't be fucking bothered to get any technical skills. That's not helping.

Still, worst btongue videa evar though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
He's got something of a point, in that there's a definite cultural difference between the sort of games people from different countries make.

I think this needs confirmation from an ethnologist/ethno-anthropologist. Cultural difference is an interesting topic that is somewhat more complex than most people realize. In the case of music (which is my field of study) almost all folk music is basically the same, Bela Bartok's ethnomusicological studies confirmed this (I'm also in the process of publishing a paper on him, so I'd know :p). Most of the cultural difference comes from the different rationalizations of worldviews because of language. The way we think through specific languages informs our worldview, so this isn't something new. That doesn't mean you can't use other people's cultures to make your own creations regardless of what nationality/culture you are. Bartok used sources from many different folk musics (not only Hungarian) to construct something modern (i.e. lacking tonal relationships, lack of leading tones, different scales etc.), so *how* exactly you use the folklore elements is the important thing, not that you have them. I don't think the Witcher 3 does something interesting with its "Polishness" (if such a thing even exists, that's also somewhat complicated), it just copies some elements from it. In the case of Bloodborne there isn't anything that screams "Japanese" even from a folklore perspective. It has a Victorian aesthetic with the weird fiction of mostly American writers (Lovecraft, Poe). This just cements the point that culture isn't a monopoly.

Outside of folklore there really isn't much on a cultural (national) basis, art is what makes a culture, not your country's marketplace relationships. We might have specific cases (the USA) where these relationships ARE the culture, but that's pop culture and not a truly meaningful one. Besides, filtering your art through consumerism is what we see in the big publishers in all media. We know it doesn't go anywhere.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
He's got something of a point, in that there's a definite cultural difference between the sort of games people from different countries make.
In the case of music (which is my field of study) almost all folk music is basically the same, Bela Bartok's ethnomusicological studies confirmed this (I'm also in the process of publishing a paper on him, so I'd know :p). Most of the cultural difference comes from the different rationalizations of worldviews because of language. The way we think through specific languages informs our worldview, so this isn't something new. That doesn't mean you can't use other people's cultures to make your own creations regardless of what nationality/culture you are. Bartok used sources from many different folk musics (not only Hungarian) to construct something modern (i.e. lacking tonal relationships, lack of leading tones, different scales etc.), so *how* exactly you use the folklore elements is the important thing, not that you have them. I don't think the Witcher 3 does something interesting with its "Polishness" (if such a thing even exists, that's also somewhat complicated), it just copies some elements from it. In the case of Bloodborne there isn't anything that screams "Japanese" even from a folklore perspective. It has a Victorian aesthetic with the weird fiction of mostly American writers (Lovecraft, Poe). This just cements the point that culture isn't a monopoly.

Outside of folklore there really isn't much on a cultural (national) basis, art is what makes a culture, not your country's marketplace relationships. We might have specific cases (the USA) where these relationships ARE the culture, but that's pop culture and not a truly meaningful one. Besides, filtering your art through consumerism is what we see in the big publishers in all media. We know it doesn't go anywhere.
This sounds really fucking retarded unless by "the same" you actually mean "western" or something like that.
Most of the cultural difference comes from the different rationalizations of worldviews because of language. The way we think through specific languages informs our worldview, so this isn't something new.
Sounds pretty fucking retarded as well.
In the case of Bloodborne there isn't anything that screams "Japanese" even from a folklore perspective
Pretty fucking retarded as well.
This just cements the point that culture isn't a monopoly.
This conclusion has nothing to do with anything you just wrote.
Makes me wonder what the fuck you think you're studying, it's usually the retarded freshmen who make these stupid posts because they have just been shown the light.

What Mr. Btongue did was:
Look, these Polish people sure are different (which he by the way did in a retarded condescending way as most people do with the Polish, but whatever, they still don't have a single proper highway, fuck them) so that must mean they were able to make a different game. - so far so good
Then he went on to say:
we need a gender diversity and we need to stop offending wombyn
- which has nothing to do with anything. The Witcher is different because it is based on a different lore and adapts the look and feel of the slavic countries very well. The team composition of CD Projekt RED is most likely the same when it comes to womyn as in the US and when it comes to niggers I bet there's like 1 they use for some commercials.

I'm almost starting to think this video is a parody sketch because of how he managed to fuck it up - different culture makes a different game -> gender of the team is important. The lesson should have been exactly the opposite: the gender of the game maker doesn't influence anything of note because their cultural and other life experiences are billion times more important than their dick or cunt. A cunt don't make you draw a painting of a Polish wheat field with hard working peasants on it, being Polish and going outside does.

pippin

Don't be surprised with his political standing, he said Gamergate was the devil a while back if I remember correctly.
Also, I'm quite sure Bloodborne was always meant to be one more game in the -Souls style, so this guy is just producing shitty clickbait at this point (which he used to do before, bur in more subtle way). At least his videos aren't 3 hours long like that other Noah Something-Something fucktard.

Dexter

Arcane
Yeah, this guy turned out to be a self-hating goony beard and I lost most of my respect for "Al Russel" after he deleted his GTA V video due to butthurt that it was "attracting the wrong crowd" too.

Btw.:
EuropeVidGames.jpg

RXNmZ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom