Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

praetor

Arcane
that is one of the most retarded reviews i've ever read. but hey, it's RPS, so it's par for the course

"i'm the world's worst flight sim player, so now i'm gonna review Falcon 4.0: it's hard, too many buttons, take off takes ages because you have to click so much..."

even for their standards it's monumentally idiotic

GrainWetski

Arcane
RPS took IGN's place as the one gaming site everyone, including the most retarded, should ignore a very long time ago.

Edit: Not counting Kotaku and Polygon as they only exist to push a political agenda and nothing else. RPS is only 95% SJW dumbfuckery compared to the 100% of the other two.

Last edited:

PirateScum

Augur
Its dagger skill so potentially also assassins, ranger and magic archer. Of course it will also take up one of your slot for skills. Its not like Witcher where dodge is one of Geralt basic moves.

Basicly yes, only 'rogue' classes get a roll 'core skill', makes even more or less sense, since they can't wear the heavy stuff. But dodge roll doesn't take up a skill slot and neither does it cost stamina. You roll by using 'dagger skill button' + jump.

Mages can float through the air. :obviously:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, for a second it looked like you have to spend a skill on rolling, which was good, but if you're using daggers it's free, which is bad. I guess if I graduate from Fighter to Assassin I will stick with swords so I don't have to feel like somersaulting every 2 seconds is expected.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's to compensate for the lack of a shield. If you've got neither rolling nor blocking as a defense, you're pretty much SOL at melee range.

duanth123

Arcane
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/01/14/review-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-pc/187247/
Capcom has improved Dragon’s Dogmasubstantially by moving it to the PC platform. For one, the game doesn’t require too strong of a computer to run maxed out at 1080p 60fps. We ran it on three-to-four year old hardware (i5 2500k and AMD 7950 Boost) and the experience was phenomenal. We even bumped it up to 1440p and it hovered between 40 and 80 frames when v-sync was turned off, averaging around 55. There are also various graphical options to tinker with; this includes multiple anti-aliasing techniques, HDR, texture filtering, distance scaling, and shadow, texture, grass and effect quality, just to name a few. The draw distance is something that could have been better modified, as foliage specifically draws in at around fifteen feet in front of the protagonist, with detailed/larger geometry popping in much further out in the background. It can be distracting both in towns and in the open world, but it’s not too bad.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

duanth123

Arcane
Dragon’s Dogma’s big flaw is that in trying to draw from so many different inspirations, it can’t help but fall short of them. Even if we ignore The Witcher 3 out of deference to its release date, it’s far more a Risen than a Skyrim
He says that like it's a bad thing :(
These games journalists wear their retardation like a badge of honor. In any other medium they would be laughed out of a job but fortunately for them most gamers are stupid so when RPS journos make cutesy self-deprecating comments about their incompetence, the average reader finds in it a reflected image. And in that moment an unearned validation worth many clicks. At first I thoughtRPS was a bad joke, but I realize now it is a sentient amalgation of the worst traits in gamers. Even gamespot has more self-respect

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Dragon’s Dogma’s big flaw is that in trying to draw from so many different inspirations, it can’t help but fall short of them. Even if we ignore The Witcher 3 out of deference to its release date, it’s far more a Risen than a Skyrim
Keep in mind Skyrim was their GOTY in 2011. The retard says "so many different inspirations" but the main influence in the entire game is simply good old D&D. Sure, it draws from different mythologies, but....that's D&D, and they picked the same sources here. I'd say 90% or more of Dragon's Dogma's monsters can be found in the old AD&D monster manuals.
It is ironic, because TES is the actual weird mashup that falls short. It mixes LOTR and D&D (and more recently, ASOIAF), but it's basically a 12yo's idea of what that would be.

Martius

Liturgist
Basicly yes, only 'rogue' classes get a roll 'core skill', makes even more or less sense, since they can't wear the heavy stuff. But dodge roll doesn't take up a skill slot and neither does it cost stamina. You roll by using 'dagger skill button' + jump.

Mages can float through the air. :obviously:
Thanks for correction! Giving each group of classes their own defence mechanism makes sense. Still I guess after playing Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter I guess something was done to avoid making it rollfest.

Last edited:

Castanova

Prophet
I think I've narrowed it down to Assassin or Sorcerer. Bros, which one is more fun? It looks like maybe Assassin would be more fun from a twitchy perspective and Sorcerer would be more fun from a "I am level 100 and I can blow all you assholes up while half asleep." Assassin also looks like it would be harder? Confirm/deny?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You pretty much have the right idea. Assassin is more fun in the 'Look at me, I'm an untouchable badass, parry and dodge ftw!' kind of way, while Sorceror is more of the 'And now I lay waste to my enemies from where they cannot even reach me! Muahahaha!' kind of vibe. Take your pick, then play through the game again as the other because it's that fun.

Or hell, just try them both out in one run. It's a lot easier to level up new classes once you've got badass weapons for them, so it doesn't take THAT long to try out another class.

Athelas

Arcane
Keep in mind Skyrim was their GOTY in 2011. The retard says "so many different inspirations" but the main influence in the entire game is simply good old D&D. Sure, it draws from different mythologies, but....that's D&D, and they picked the same sources here. I'd say 90% or more of Dragon's Dogma's monsters can be found in the old AD&D monster manuals.
It is ironic, because TES is the actual weird mashup that falls short. It mixes LOTR and D&D (and more recently, ASOIAF), but it's basically a 12yo's idea of what that would be.
Didn't this game release just a few months after Skyrim? In other words, much too late to take inspiration from it.

Fairfax

Arcane
Didn't this game release just a few months after Skyrim? In other words, much too late to take inspiration from it.
Yes, 6 months later. The quote from RPS is more about how DD is a "B-movie" sort of thing compared to the big releases they love, like Skyrim.

Fairfax

Arcane
Leaked version save didn't work. :lol: Normally I'd be frustrated, but I don't mind making a new character in this game. "Hard" mode was very misleading anyway.

Puukko

Arcane
Haha, time to spend an hour minimum on the character creation screen.
SLI scaling seems borked, I'm only getting 15% usage on my second 780. That 4x scaling at 5K would be nice, but I guess I'll have to deal with just 4K.

Zombra

Patron
So I was looking at vocations and it seems that only Mages have support/healing magic. Does this make a Mage a mandatory choice for any party?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is it sooo nice? Actually spending a lot of time on not only creating your char for vanity sake but also your pawn?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I was looking at vocations and it seems that only Mages have support/healing magic. Does this make a Mage a mandatory choice for any party?
Yes, pretty much and honestly I would suggest you have your pawn do it since getting warriors of all sorts of levels is easy but a competent mage is not so you better bring your own

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom