Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Oh no doubt, definitely in case of G1. We're talking about a 2001 game tho. ALL 3d games back then looked vomit inducing.

Strongly disagree, while the problem with earlier 3D games is the low polygon count many of them more they made up for that in other areas pertaining to visuals such as art direction, area/level design, visual clarity (especially compared to modern AAA stuff with overuse of bloom and other special effects where you can't see shit anymore), distinct look etc. I've been replaying some of the (3D) games from that period recently and I was surprised how well they hold up visually, Gothic, Urban Chaos, Thief, American McGee Alice, VTM Redemption, Sacrifice, Max Payne etc. it's not that I merely enjoyed their gameplay despite outdated visuals, it's that a good part of my enjoyment was related to the latter (I never was a part of the "Graphics don't matter" crowd).

Of course the whole experience depends on how visuals tie up with other elements like sound and gameplay but I definitely felt more immersed in say Thief and Gothic than Dishonored or Risen 1 (two games I still liked very much) and not once felt graphics were dragging down the whole experience but rather adding to it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't care about what you guys are talking about, the screenshots have an atmosphere to them that sent some strong Gothic 1 vibes.

I want a gameplay video now.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Every time I remember Piranha Bytes is making a new game I also remember it has a roll move...and I promptly try to forget again.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Every time I remember Piranha Bytes is making a new game I also remember it has a roll move...and I promptly try to forget again.

How did you like Witcher 2 and 3?

Well the roll combined with Geralt's truly exquisite move set allows to the player to express himself in numerous ways so the combat truly comes to life and allows the player to feel what it means to be a Witcher.
This is what CD Projekt Red actually believes.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Oh no doubt, definitely in case of G1. We're talking about a 2001 game tho. ALL 3d games back then looked vomit inducing.

Strongly disagree, while the problem with earlier 3D games is the low polygon count many of them more they made up for that in other areas pertaining to visuals such as art direction, area/level design, visual clarity (especially compared to modern AAA stuff with overuse of bloom and other special effects where you can't see shit anymore), distinct look etc. I've been replaying some of the (3D) games from that period recently and I was surprised how well they hold up visually, Gothic, Urban Chaos, Thief, American McGee Alice, VTM Redemption, Sacrifice, Max Payne etc. it's not that I merely enjoyed their gameplay despite outdated visuals, it's that a good part of my enjoyment was related to the latter (I never was a part of the "Graphics don't matter" crowd).

Of course the whole experience depends on how visuals tie up with other elements like sound and gameplay but I definitely felt more immersed in say Thief and Gothic than Dishonored or Risen 1 (two games I still liked very much) and not once felt graphics were dragging down the whole experience but rather adding to it.
Well said. Currently playing Max Payne 1. Game looks gorgeous.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I even think the opposite is the case. As long as there was some room left for the players own fantasy to fill out the details 3d games were more "dream like" and therefore emotionally more immersive.
Nowadays graphixx are just "too good" to leave that last small bit of space between whats happening on the screen and my own phantasy which I think is needed for trve immersion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
To their credit Risen 3 was a slight improvement over Risen 2 (but still worse than Risen 1). Maybe they can make another baby step back towards a decent game. But I don't expect much. The promos/marketing for Risen 3 made it look like a return to the 'classic' PB formulation. When I paid $8 for it I was sorely disappointed.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Max Payne has the great advantage of fluid gameplay.

So Gothic doesnt have fluid gameplay? I think its pretty fluid. Pacing is great, dialogue is on spot and kept short, yet informative, you dont spend too much time micromanaging (infinite carrying capicity is great)

And combat is (to me) also great. I dont get peoples problem with it. Read enemy behaviour, wait for opportunity to attack, try not to let other enemies flank you (they have a group based AI, groundbreaking thing back then, and even nowadays a very rare thing), time your attacks (if you smash atk button you will hit slower), use combos if opportune. Its all there, once you get beyond the weird controls (weird, not bad), its a fucking treat.

Gothic 3 on the other hand... is a decline in so many ways.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So Gothic doesnt have fluid gameplay? I think its pretty fluid. Pacing is great, dialogue is on spot and kept short, yet informative, you dont spend too much time micromanaging (infinite carrying capicity is great)

And combat is (to me) also great. I dont get peoples problem with it. Read enemy behaviour, wait for opportunity to attack, try not to let other enemies flank you (they have a group based AI, groundbreaking thing back then, and even nowadays a very rare thing), time your attacks (if you smash atk button you will hit slower), use combos if opportune. Its all there, once you get beyond the weird controls (weird, not bad), its a fucking treat.
:bro:

Bloodwyn

They've said ELEX will be the next attempt for a bigger world like in Gothic 3.
Doesn't that imply that PB will ruin it?
Also i can't lose the impression that PB wants to make the Marvin Mode an element of their games.
In Risen 2 :| the Voodoo stuff with taking over persons and now the jetpack.

Gothic 1/2 combat was great, problem is most people don't now how it works. Those games don't do a great job of explaining combat mechanics to the player, so I get the impression most people just whack away at stuff and then try to use combos once they get them. That is NOT how the combat works. Combos can be used against wild animals, but even then, a lot of them will interrupt you, preventing the combo from finishing.

Against humanoids, they will very quickly interrupt your combo and do damage to you. The proper way to go Gothic 1/2 combat, is to use parry and counter-attack. You have to wait until the enemy humanoid attacks, and then VERY quickly parry the blow. You only have a fraction of a second to do it or it will fail. If you hit parry in time, it will prevent enemy damage, and then give you a short window during which you can counter-attack. The cool part is, different enemies attack with different patterns, so sometimes you will have to parry once, sometimes twice, sometimes even 3 times in a row before being able to counter-attack. But once you get the hang of it, you can re-enact cool movie swashbuckling scenes but chain-parrying and then counterattacking. That has as good a feel as any melee combat game I've ever tried so far.

Sjukob

Arcane
The cool part is, different enemies attack with different patterns
Speaking about Gothic II ...
I remember there were only 3 patterns in the game .

1) Basic humanoid . Swings only once , pauses after the attack , instantly counter attacks after you hit him . You hit him him and then parry , repeat untril victory .

2) Advanced humanoid . Those are unpredictable , sometimes they swing only once , sometimes twice . If you try to guess how many times they are going to attack and try parry , you will either get hit or miss the opportunity to attack , here is what I was doing . Run to them and as soon as you are in their attack range jump back , while the character jumps back he blocks attacks as well , and it lasts longer than just parry , so you can block 2 attacks in row with this move . So , you just keep running towards the enemy and jumping back until they swing 2 times , after that they make a pause and you will have time to smack them in face . Repeat until you win .

3) Orcs and lizardmen might swing up to 3 times in a row , but the strategy is the same as with advanced humanoids .

So , knowing that , you can beat any humanoid target in 1vs1 combat without taking damage , except mages of course . Fighting with multiple enemies is different , I won't be explaining it here . Although I finished Gothic I as a melee character , I don't remember shit about patterns of enemies , I just remember that parry in Gothic I lasted for few seconds unlike in Gothic II .

Pacing is great
My problem with Gothic II is that you become overpowered way too fast . It happens after second chapter in original Gothic II , or after finishing Jarkendar in NoTR .

subotaiy

Cipher
In my humble opinion, the big mistake most players make in NOTR is min-maxing the learning points spending + hording tablets/herbs.
It gimps you in the early game and makes you a god at the end.

PirateScum

Augur
To their credit Risen 3 was a slight improvement over Risen 2 (but still worse than Risen 1).
When it comes to having the dense atmosphere of the Gothic-series again I even think Risen 3 was the best Risen.
Yeah. Risen 2's atmosphere and story were utter garbage.
Fixed.

Risen 3 is the worst Risen for sure.

Risen 2 may have drifted away from Risen 1 mechanics (which remind a lot of good old Gothic 2), but Risen 3 just kills the series with rollfest and retcon of Pattys Bewbs just about everything.
New hero makes no sense, old heros appearance makes no sense, big bad makes no sense. But listen people Rune Magic and Magic Magic is in, it's just like ze old Gothics, buy nao!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom