Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Reinhardt

Arcane
Is Valkyrie Profile 2 playable in new revisions?

Lightknight

Liturgist
Tested this build.
DirectX3D11 Hardware (GF650 Ti Boost) + few hacks (to remove graphic glitcher/artifacts) made Psi Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy totally playable.
It was playable in hardware for a couple of years now.

Back in a day I was emulating NES and SNES shit on Pentium 200 MMMX / 32 MB RAM, now Nestopia requires 800 MHZ to run properly, wtf?
I would still use Nesticle, if it was able to execute on a modern hardware. People may say it wasnt pure and full of hacks, but i was able to run Yound Indiana Jones on it, and it looked and played properly, i played it to death on my NES when i had it. It took other NES emulators decade and a half to implement a proper palette so the game wouldnt turn into a jumbled mess on half of the levels.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, how about some tastefuly-done testing?

:oops:

Pcsx2 1.4.0, everything on default, internal res.

Boulders' Gate - Dark Alliance finally works in HW mode (DX11 or OGL backend, DX9 is still borked).

daIvWCl.jpg

tbFtC3N.jpg

YsEPrrf.jpg

Still, there ale slowndowns in HD (30-40 FPS), software works fine.

Front Mission 4 finally works at full speed in HD mode (all backends), previously only the SW mode worked at 60FPS. Maybe that's just my new rig? :?

EeqmkOa.jpg

Aen7d8a.jpg

Front Mission 5 - same as above (full speed in HD mode in both engine cutscenes and regular game).

wYyp2VP.jpg

g9JFQng.jpg

ze4TIT5.jpg

2xinternal looks teh sex (only small font-related glitches):

mSxDBgi.jpg

:love:

I know what I should play next...

Haunting Ground - SW looks 100% fixed (a lot of effects):

wXMnfds.jpg

HD is still borked in all backends:

Kl5jcKa.jpg

mlp3e7o.jpg

Jak and Daxter 1 - proper output still only in SW mode (irrelevant of the backend):

aqWHWEt.jpg

HD is borked:

At0IvGt.jpg

But SW is still too slow:

ZgGuskt.jpg

Shadow Hearts 1 - slowdowns still present (despite high FPS values), both in HD and SW, less noticeable than before (faster comp?):

oHN257W.jpg

Gd0iBy3.jpg

Verdict: I should play FM5 ASAP.

:smug:

Suicidal

Arcane
IIRC Front Mission 5 worked perfectly fine when I played it on the previous pcsx2 version. FM4 lagged like ass during cutscenes and rainy/snowy levels in software mode and had fucked up shadows in hardware mode (or the other way around, I don't remember).

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Haunting Ground - SW looks 100% fixed (a lot of effects):

wXMnfds.jpg

HD is still borked in all backends:

Kl5jcKa.jpg

mlp3e7o.jpg

You did try the OpenGL HW backend with blending accuracy at 'high' (or whichever one the tooltip recommends for OpenGL) and the CRC hacks set to minimal, right?

spekkio

Arcane
It's time for some Dolphin testing.

:obviously:

First, I went with 4.0.8680, comparing it with the latest official 4.0.2. OGL backend, v-sync, 2,5x internal, no AA, HLE audio.

RE0 & RE1

There are visible slowdowns during scene transitions. FPS drop to 20-25 frames (same thing happens in 402), but there's visibble chopping, not present in 402, esp. when you reach some are for the 1st time. :?

4O16Ii9.jpg

IACHypO.jpg

Another bad thing is that the Custom Projection Hack has been removed - I've been using it to remove the irritating DoF effect in both games. Emulation accuracy my ass...

:decline:

Metroid Prime

Newest version runs FMVs at 30FPS (WTF?) but ingame it runs MUCH faster than 402. It looks like the "Shader Compilation Stuttering" is gone - game runs very fast during the entire rendered intro, no heavy hiccups present in 402.

VKRg54F.jpg

RiFfmrr.jpg

:incline:

Zelda - TP

Looks and works the same on both verions (full speed, no visible artifacts):

IXZntIW.jpg

0mKMnt6.jpg

Og5n04h.jpg

Tested latest Ishiiruka build as well, using DX11 backend and "Full Async Shader Compilation".
Metroid Prime works smoother than in regular build (almost no slowdowns whatsoever).

YeJ9zBP.jpg

Ishiiruka builds look more interesting than regular ones due to more options (fixes, hacks, audio & video output quirks).

Problem: sometimes DX11 won't launch properly when "Use fullscreen" is enabled. Affects both latest regular build and Ishiiruka build. Solution: start in window, then alt+enter to fullscreen.
This also fixes the FMV slowdown in Metroid Prime, mentioned above.

Verdict:

Gamecube emulation's level is coming close to the N64 level. At least in amount of fiddling-around required.

:rpgcodex:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Huh, when I played through SH1 on PCSX2 not too long ago I was able to play it at full speed save for a few specific scenes (when the plane crashes, the cutscenes before you fight evil asian dude at the top of his tower, and the cutscenes before you fight Albert at the very end; the only thing I think they all had in common was a lot of sky and cloud special effects).

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
100% speed, 60/60 FPS or however the Hell PCSX2 shows the speed at the top. I'm curious if they've yet to fix the Judgment Ring graphical glitch in HW mode on SH2&3. I'd check myself but, in a pure retard moment, when I was getting rid of the old PCSX2 versions off my computer I forgot to back up my memory card data from them, so I'm not particularly interested in firing them back up anytime soon.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

A user named cat

spekkio - test Ring of Red plox.
I just tried this though I hate most mech games. Is this some kind of Fire Emblem clone with robots? It runs fine as do all games in PCSX2 if your rig is up to snuff. There are two quirks I encountered:

1. It can't be played at anything above native internal res or you'll get random lines across the screen. This can normally be fixed with hardware hacks but I tried every option and offset value possible. Nothing worked except native res or software mode of course.

2. Using the Lilypad plugin, for some bizarre reason the game thought I was holding "up" on my controller so navigation was impossible. Switching to Pokopom controller plugin instead fixed that and it worked fine after.

Other than those two problems, it seemed fine but I didn't play it for long. The widescreen patch supposedly causes freezing if using certain attacks but I'm not sure if that's still the case, just something I read online.

Last edited by a moderator:

amdus

Arbiter
Recommend me PC-98 emulator.
I've never set up PC-98 but I think Anex86 is the preferred emulator for it.

Anex86 is outdated as hell. Maybe try Neko Project II fmgen (np2fmgen.7z), new version was released yesterday http://ux.getuploader.com/emu/ download password: 9801
Also grab sound samples (ym2608rl_fmpmd.zip) dumped from Yamaha YM2608 FM chip https://web.archive.org/web/2010120.../~hosino/ma-net/bins/archive/game_sample/m88/ web archive might be slow so be patient. Other sample set (ym2608rl.zip) if i remember correctly is required by "hoot... - Sound Hardware Emulator" http://dmpsoft.s17.xrea.com/hoot/.

There are also different FM cores available for Neko Project II fmgen if someone is interested http://ux.getuploader.com/emu/download/34/fmdllset(v1).7z download password: fmdll

EDIT:
It looks like MESS emulator also have PC-98 support http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=103451#Post103451, but the project was merged recently with MAME, so maybe MAME also support it?

Last edited:

A user named cat

Nestopia Undead was updated on Jan 9th, randomly came across this.

http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/

----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
Shell:

Additions:
- On-screen text when saving/loading states
- Basic NSF player
- PNG Screenshots
- Quick State Save/Load menu items
- Open Recent menu item
- Ability to pause games when configuration dialog is open
- Customizable NTSC filter options
- Support for Mac OS X

Changes:
- Updated to modern OpenGL (version 3.2 minimum)

Fixes:
- Empty audio buffer when volume is set to 0
- Input config now accepts joystick buttons over 10

libretro:

Additions:
- Game Genie Sound Distortion option
- Region selection core option

Changes:
- Default to "consumer" palette
- Vertical and Horizontal overscan options separated

Fixes:
- Fixed FDS save path

Core:

Additions:
- Added support for MC-ACC (perilsensitive)
- Added NstDatabase.xml entries (clobber)
- Added support for NES 2.0 submappers
- Added support for mapper 4.1
- Added support for mapper 4.3
- Added support for mapper 23.15
- Added support for mapper 25.15
- Added support for mapper 32.1
- Added support for mapper 68.1
- Added support for mapper 71.1
- Added support for mapper 78.1
- Added support for mapper 78.3

Fixes:
- Reverted fix for Mapper 79
- Fixed Burai Fighter status area (perilsensitive)
- FME-7 IRQ Fix (lidnariq)
- Disabled buggy audio sync

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Project 64 is windows only so it might as well not exist.

A user named cat

I'm always late but FourDO was updated a few weeks back. Awesome news. Looks like Alone in the Dark is fixed up now too. There's also a new scale mode which I'm curious about.

http://www.fourdo.com/

4DO 1.3.2.4 changes:

1) updates in core Clio:
fixed all freezes in:
3DO Interactive Sampler CD, The
3DO Interactive Sampler CD 2, The
3DO Interactive Sampler CD 3, The
3DO Interactive Sampler CD 4, The
Panasonic REAL 3DO Interactive Multiplayer Sampler
Fixed long time to boot in – Twisted – The Game Show
Killing Time 2.2 alpha runtime freezes fixed
Maybe in some other games freezes fixed too.

2) Graphic fixes:
for Dinopark Tycoon, but not completely 100%
Microcosm – fix start screens, game 100% playable now
Alone In The Dark – fixed fonts, the text written on books, etc, are readable now.

3) New option added – “Scale Mode” enlarges the image, as in NTSC consoles

4) Added support for anvil-bios, anvil chip emulated, needed to run some games of the European region.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom