Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment Kickstarter Update #52: New Mark Morgan Track, Circus Minor Screenshot

xantrius

Liturgist
I am offended by those cobblestones. Nobody lays down cobblestones like that.
Despite that this sounds like a troll post, i have to admit that somehow it is really weird laid out and is changing the directions in in some places at around 90° and that is unusual. Normally this is done more organic with more slight curves, or like a zipper.
I'm getting a flashback to the Wasteland 2 train wagon coupling mechanism discussion.
Sometimes it is necessary.

I am offended by those cobblestones. Nobody lays down cobblestones like that.
Despite that this sounds like a troll post, i have to admit that somehow it is really weird laid out and is changing the directions in in some places at around 90° and that is unusual. Normally this is done more organic with more slight curves, or like a zipper.
I was more disturbed with the edges of the cobblestones. Seemingly they just blurred them at the edge close to the other floor instead of having a natural transition. it looks lazy and bad IMO.

Take a look at the cobblestones in PST how vibrant,organic,following the road and like a mosaic. Simply beautiful.
204414-torment___clerk_s_ward___1600x1200.jpg

EFgHvJT.png
And now at T:ToN.
14113_500.jpg
Simply lazy. Four blocks that are ordered 90° to each other with the same texture.
[/Q

A bit irrational to call it lazy. As has already been pointed out, Planescape: Torment was given the groundwork of its unique art direction for free from the D&D Planescape source material. All PS:T did was copy paste that framework, and then they obviously had more time to refine, elevate and add in details to the various aspects of its cityscape for Sigil etc.

That said I agree that Gesamtkunstwerk is important, a holistic perpective. Thus this new medievalesque location from T:ToN does make my eyes bleed! Of course it just had to be western medieval style of all things right? Sure just trap me in a interdimensional cage, kill me and bring me back to life over and over again for all eternity. But lolacoaster in the Ninth world the current level of technology is at a medieval level! Yeah besides the stuff that still remains from the past civilizations. Oh. Jesus. Hail generic Science Fantasy RPG number 2010102. What is this madness inane pulp within pulp elevated to ever new heights...

And the complaints about the lack of a unique overall guiding art direction have nothing to do with aversion to colorful locations nor a wish for Sigil 1.5. I guess I was just silly and took it for granted that T:ToN would have a more unique vision for its art direction by virtue of the fact that Planescape: Torment did. Albeit for free from its PnP roots which Numenera lacks. I had just naively apparently hoped that more resources had been devoted to this aspect of the game. Take the adventure game Riven - the sequel to Myst. This games interesting unique art style courtesy, to a great extent at least, of R. Vander Wende. An art style that greatly adds to the games overall ambience, it helps of course that the other aspect of that game, overall, doesn't blow unlike most of the other Myst games.

Games like Planescape: Torment, Riven, Winter Voices and Primordia, have all, to different degrees, that in common that their unique art style pick them apart from other games. And it was definitely an important, and crucial aspect in my eyes for what made PS:T unique and special. Take NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer in contrast a lovely "game", lol but great art direction? Just ban the Codex already... At this point in T:ToN development I guess it's a moot point though more or less. Plus I'll still enjoy T:ToN overall most likely - but ugh.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I am happy that the area is in 2D, but the colors ain´t beautiful.They are just borrrrrrrrring or maybe just not vivid enough.
BUT:
Inxile will read this thread and will correct their failure immediately.

:troll:

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
This is probably going to be the first Beta I play and will post tons of shit that is wrong with the game.

edit: I pledged $125 for the game and I have to pay another $20 for beta access? That is crap.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Except the point he tried to make wasnt about social justice, but lets not start this here.

Fry

Arcane
This was like 3 years ago, I'm not even the same person I was then. Beta access should be available to anyone who pledges enough to get the game.

It is available. For $20.

If you go back in time right now and tell your former self to save 3 cents a day you'll have enough to buy the beta... and a jumbo pack of tampons. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom