Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Massively grindy. As in level 5 teams (or more) because informed trait "Never Again" means you use a different team (or realistically, 5 identical clone teams) because it makes you go in 5 separate times. Note that this is if you win, which you will if you're not a hypercasual. Obviously, if you actually lose and die more grinding is required. That's the endgame grind, and it comes after the resource gather grind where you hit level 3, but your characters are effectively level 1 because you can't level their weapons/armor/skills yet and those, not your levels determine your actual ability. And that comes after the mobile progress bar grind, where you go in copy pasted dungeons repeatedly just so you can unlock the copy pasted "bosses".

It is EXACTLY what you just described (except the level cap is 6). Once you have done one quest in each area you've seen 85% of the unique content, once you beat every level 1 boss 95%. Beyond that the only new things are a few mini bosses, which you kill with damage spam like everything else. Everything else is just grind diluting the content.

Important distinction: Grind is repeating repetitive, trivial, uninteresting tasks. Even farming experience in most other games does not classify as grinding, assuming of course that every encounter isn't the same and handled in the same way. If you gotta think and pay attention it's not grind. This is.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Massively grindy.

Important distinction: Grind is repeating repetitive, trivial, uninteresting tasks. Even farming experience in most other games does not classify as grinding, assuming of course that every encounter isn't the same and handled in the same way. If you gotta think and pay attention it's not grind. This is.

Well, fuck.

Time to move to another game. Thanks for the info.

Celerity

Good idea. There's some other good ones around. Some emphasize experience farming without being a grind, others don't. It's really just a question of what you want from games.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good idea. There's some other good ones around. Some emphasize experience farming without being a grind, others don't. It's really just a question of what you want from games.

Yeah, that's the thing, I'm not even mad, some people love grinding games, just, I don't, and as my time to play is limited, I will just move to another one. Time to move to Underrail thread :P

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can anyone give me some insights about how it is the late game?
It's basically the same as early and mid game. You have all your skills at level one, the same strategy will work on a boss at level 1 and level 5, everything else is just inflated numbers on both sides. Think Diablo 2 nightmare and hell, just with less new stuff. There's a few new enemies on higher difficulties, but that's about it. Whatever else you want to say about Celerity, he's right the missions can be beaten 9/10 times just by taking the guys that deal a lot of damage + can take a lot of damage and applying it in every fight.
The game is not the worst thing ever, it's fun for a while and has very nice look and feel to it, but it's ultimately shallow and repetitive. I don't really care enough to read into the dev drama, steam reviews are crap no matter how you look at it, as I see it both sides downvote the reviews with opposing views. I can see Celerity's review just fine too about where I'd expect it in helpful with 50% rating.

Also shouldn't it be "Celerity awareness thread"? :troll:

Celerity

Speaking of downvoting...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryoned/recommended/262060

This one dropped about 30% rather quickly.

The boss copy paste thing is pretty funny. I thought it was an Early Access placeholder, because they said there would be 3 bosses per zone. So I figured it'd be like Necromancer, then Prophet, then another thing. Not 3 Necromancers and 3 Prophets and no third thing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ahahaha, the guy who bitches about the whole censorship thing? You know the one? Guess who is heavily into removing negative responses from his own steam review comment section...

Ah, the fittingly named Trash, who was one of the useless trolls in my review and got taken out for being a clueless spamming fuckwit. I forget if he was a death threater or not, but he can go fuck himself with a spiked dildo.

'k.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
For fucks sake Celerity, we even have smiley called popamole and our forum's name is RPGCodex so do the fucking math.

:popamole:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You guys have so many not even close to rpgs on the curator list, and so many console and/or garbage games I can't believe anyone cares what is or isn't on it. Its as useful as the RPGWatch curator list when it comes to helping rpg fans find good rpg games.

hivemind

ungrateful fans are the worst thing
you should be happy that someone is even making games for you to enjoy instead of crucifying them for every minor misstep
if you don't like the game simply don't put a thousand hours into playing instead of wasting even more time by libeling the developers and their product far and wide across the internet

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It's popamole not popeamole. Am I the only one who gets massively triggered by this?

Gord

Arcane
We put effort into appraising the Codex consensus. As I said, Darkest Dungeon was very popular here in early 2015, including among those posters who are likely to use the word "Inshillitron". There's probably some revisionist history going on here, with some newcomers going "Wut, this was always some indie hipster thing, rite?" No, it wasn't.

I don't think there is anyone here saying "this game was terrible all along in reality." What happened was that the early builds looked very promising but then many of the interesting characteristics of the game were designed out of it in an incompetent attempt to fix minor problems. The developers took something that looked and felt sound and went in a very wrong direction with it.

It wasn't - and isn't - terrible. But clearly it showed promise during EA, when it was reasonable to expect much bigger improvements to what they delivered in the end.
Also they didn't design any good parts out, imo. Everything that was in the early EA versions is still found in the release version and gameplay is still very similar. There's objectively more polish and content, too.
They just never really managed to steer it into a direction that most people here would consider really good and as a result the final product is somewhat meh.
Good for ~15 hours of fun before it becomes too repetitive.
A few hours more if you don't just use the same team of damage-spammers all the time (which actually works unless you are one of the people that insist on using that one "optimal" strategy all the time).

Celerity

Well, I see the Codex is going full fuckwit again. Well, it doesn't matter what sort of childish stunts you engage in while ironically mocking my maturity, the war continues. Mild disappointment really, I was just thinking you might be a decent community once I got past the initial shock.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure. I don't think one bad apple is good enough reason to make a rule about not curating Early Access games, though. Imagine not curating Age of Decadence, Underrail, etc.
I can imagine that easily. But since Codex curator list is not popular enough to influence people to buy games, it does not really matter.

If it was more popular, early access games should be removed, because talking random people into buying unfinished games is not a good practice.

Kalasanty11

Learned
So, basically - grinding? Fuck all games revolving around it with a very long and sharp spear. Now I wouldn't even want to pirate that game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, I see the Codex is going full fuckwit again. Well, it doesn't matter what sort of childish stunts you engage in while ironically mocking my maturity, the war continues. Mild disappointment really, I was just thinking you might be a decent community once I got past the initial shock.

Aw, so sad. First trying to fit with twitch memes and failing hard, then desperation sets in and tries to borrow local memes without any clue on their meaning only to mangle them and fail even harder only to finally realize neither will work and depression sets in.

Next step on the list: suicide.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Aw, so sad. First trying to fit with twitch memes and failing hard, then desperation sets in and tries to borrow local memes without any clue on their meaning only to mangle them and fail even harder only to finally realize neither will work and depression sets in.

Next step on the list: suicide. become a tranny

Made it more Codexian for you.

Celerity

Next step on the list: suicide.

I'm glad you said that as I was just thinking it. This forum is nothing but memes. Use a meme they don't like, RETARD RAGE. Ask about a meme they do like, DOUBLE RETARD RAGE. For all your pretentions of being some grand, elite conisseurs of gaming you're just half witted groupthinkers. Not just about the fucking memes, about about games. And I don't even fucking know why everyone obsesses over Underail, and Divinity, and AoD when at the end of the day they'll just load Pillars of Eternity or Skyrim despite allegedly hating both of those and log 1,337 hours in that shit. :troll:

You truly are pathetic posers, and as an actual hardcore gamer who is legitimately not interested in the standard filler fare like PoE and Skyrim, and legitimately is interested in stuff like Underail/AoD/Xulima/Wizardry/etc your grandstanding, while really wanting people just like you is pathetic.

Now I don't mean everyone here. Those who I'm attacking know who they are, and those who have either stayed out of this shit or acted sane are not included. But enough vocal people here are that it makes the entire site look bad. Mostly because of that part where if someone says something you don't like, you intentionally break the site for them by making it take 30 second load times and redirect on fucking RPGWatch 75% of the time.

I thought the Derpest Dungeon shills were sad, pathetic little people. At least they got minimum wage for their rage. You surpass them. That is just beyond words.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Once again
TypicalModder.png
turns out to be :butthurt:

edit: almost forgot...

-Qwinn

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
edit: almost forgot...

-Qwinn

Now that was a genre classic - highly recommended to all. This one still has some work to do.

True story: I wrote celerity instead of celery on my shopping list this morning. Codex, why do you haunt my dreams? :(

So, what I've got out of this thread so far is that DD may be worth playing, but not for long. Fair enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom