Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Darkest Dungeon Released

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I am in talks with many entities. That is all I will say.

:timetoburn:

Celerity

And then post a Pillars of Eternity review like the rest of you dicks right? :troll:

Celerity

But my heart is already filled with DETERMINATION!

I know, I will praise Fallout 4 as the best RPG ever.

:troll:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
yknow when I get angry about games it's because something with writing at a first-grade level is getting lauded for its plot--I'm staring daggers at you, Bethesda--or maybe because people fetishize boxes over what's inside them. the amount of abstraction required to be angry at Darkest Dungeon, a $20 video game, is utterly beyond me. I enjoy it. it doesn't need to be perfect. I'll probably never finish it, but that's true of a lot of games.

Seethe

Arbiter
Ok ok....

I suggest everyone to buy it just to spite Celerity AND Eyestabber.

What a cheap way to fanboy this Dice-A-Mole.

That ship has sailed. Work on an undertale review for the good of the community.

Gotta play it for a l33t amount of hours first. Although that has to be impossible to achieve. I mean DD is obviously a moronic grindfest with generic and poorly thought 2deep4me writing, but Undertale doesn't even offer you excuses to sink your time in it.

bminorkey

so i got a whiff of it again and i agree with you. the original formula showed some promise but the finished game is still just as repetitive/shallow as its early access version. (i was okay with the early access being short on depth cause like, it's early access.)

Monocause

Arcane
Celerity's crusade is quite vicious, actually.

People overpromise and fail to deliver, especially people with marketing degress, especially people who are marketing their own product and their livelihood depends on whether it sells well or not. This is a perfectly serviceable indie game that showcases talent both in art and design department. Is it perfect? No. Does it get grindy and boring once you're familiar with the game's systems? Yes. Were lots of design mistakes made here? Yes.

Is it worth the 20 euro pricetag? Yes. Even if you get burned out after 10 hours or so, that's still 10 hours of perfectly valid entertainment. For all its flaws, DD is a very respectable indie effort. It doesn't excel in anything except maybe in the art department, but then again, I've seen way, way worse at a way higher pricetag.

I could name you dozens of way worse games, both early access and traditional model releases, entering the market last year. I don't really care if Red Hook are dicks or not, and I'm not interested in verifying that, nor is it relevant if they censor anyone. If they overpromised on their EA manifest, well, hope they're looking back now and are learning from their mistakes. We're talking a small dev team, not your local republican candidate.

You're giving them way too much shit. I'd suggest you take a step back and reexamine what you're doing as seriously, this is way, way off whichever way I look at it. You're kinda like one of the people who persist around MMOs and keep shitposting about them on all the forums instead of moving on to a different game. These folks talk of entitlement coming from the time and money investment they made but the sad truth is, it's some sort of broken purpose seeking that gets them to do that. Even sadder is that as they talk of the time and money they've invested, they rationalise the fact of investing even more time and money into a game they call rubbish. Also, it's a video game. The only kind of rewards you can expect from a video game, unless you're working on them or you're a Chinese gold farmer, is entertainment.

Seriously, there's more important stuff going on around you than a ÂŁ15 small game released by a small studio that will be forgotten in a year or two. If the crusade is what you actually find entertaining then seriously think your mindset through as it's bound to get you to nasty places sooner rather than later.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This is a perfectly serviceable indie game that showcases talent both in art and design department. Is it perfect? No. Does it get grindy and boring once you're familiar with the game's systems? Yes. Were lots of design mistakes made here? Yes.

Is it worth the 20 euro pricetag? Yes.

:nocountryforshitposters:

hello friend

Arcane
All that you say would be true were it not for their attempts at review manipulation and stifling discussion. Even if the game was amazing - it's not - they can no longer have any reasonable expectation of receiving any goodwill. Such practices are dishonest, anti-consumer, and cannot be ignored.

shadow9d9

Learned
It's not rare for EA/Beta versions to be cheaper than release version.

Yes, but that was not my point.
It is yet another thread on steam with butthurt about price.
people are prepared to shell over 60 bucks for 7-15 hour games like Farcry 3 and Fallout 4, yet when an arcade SHMUP asks 40 bucks for a branching story mode that takes upwards to twenty hours+ to complete PLUS having an arcade mode you can 1cc in multiple routes all to your hearts' extent together with friends, it is overpriced
Anything that isn't AAA isn't worth over 15 bucks for these people. Cheap indie games on sales have ruined everyone's standards for the content-price ratio.

Also, why are we hating on Darkest Dungeon again? Fill me in on the circlejerk.

No game truly costs $60. Every game at that price has 20-25% off both preorders and early on via GMG. I hate when people repeat the $60 nonsense.

"Buy our game before you realize it's crap." The game costs 60 bucks. It doesn't matter if it costed less before, the fact is that the game now costs 60$.

You are just saying that the game costs $60 for suckers...

Celerity

Celerity's crusade is quite vicious, actually.

*wrongness removed*

I could name you dozens of way worse games, both early access and traditional model releases, entering the market last year. I don't really care if Red Hook are dicks or not, and I'm not interested in verifying that, nor is it relevant if they censor anyone. If they overpromised on their EA manifest, well, hope they're looking back now and are learning from their mistakes. We're talking a small dev team, not your local republican candidate.

It's perfectly relevant. If they merely made a shitty shallow imbalanced game, that's not a new thing, and I'd have ignored it. Combining that with the lies, corruption, and censorship instead of just saying yeah, we cannot even math is what made things escalate this far.

You're giving them way too much shit. I'd suggest you take a step back and reexamine what you're doing as seriously, this is way, way off whichever way I look at it. You're kinda like one of the people who persist around MMOs and keep shitposting about them on all the forums instead of moving on to a different game. These folks talk of entitlement coming from the time and money investment they made but the sad truth is, it's some sort of broken purpose seeking that gets them to do that. Even sadder is that as they talk of the time and money they've invested, they rationalise the fact of investing even more time and money into a game they call rubbish. Also, it's a video game. The only kind of rewards you can expect from a video game, unless you're working on them or you're a Chinese gold farmer, is entertainment.

Seriously, there's more important stuff going on around you than a ÂŁ15 small game released by a small studio that will be forgotten in a year or two. If the crusade is what you actually find entertaining then seriously think your mindset through as it's bound to get you to nasty places sooner rather than later.

On the contrary. I'm not giving them enough. I escalated the situation so slowly, making so sure I was right about everything before acting that people aren't taking it seriously enough. I should have acted when I was 95% sure and just accepted I get some natural 1 mistakes instead of making 100% sure after people quit caring. Also...

All that you say would be true were it not for their attempts at review manipulation and stifling discussion. Even if the game was amazing - it's not - they can no longer have any reasonable expectation of receiving any goodwill. Such practices are dishonest, anti-consumer, and cannot be ignored.

:bro:

Now you're right that a part of it is sunk cost fallacy, but even so there's plenty of shitty games that did not engage in this behaviors and did not pursue a personal conflict with me that I don't hate on.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've yet to see any actual evidence of review manipulation. So far we just have celerity's repeated unsubsantiated claims.

Kalasanty11

Learned
I liked review from Biscuit, as usually when he talks about indies. It actually got me somewhat interested in the game. At least some of the design choices seem to be nice. He mentioned one of the tactics abused by players in early access - killing all monsters but one and than stunning it as long as all characters are getting healed by a party healer. Devs dealt with it by increasing stun resistance with every next stun, increasing stress if fight takes too long and even reinforcements for monsters. Seems like they knew what they were doing with the game... I think.
On the other hand, Biscuit doesn't even mention Celerity once :(
:troll:

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't understand the hate for this game. The art style and narration is perfect. Sure, it is shallow, but it is cheap enough to fuck around with in between legitimate RPG games - like Underrail or Age of Decadence. When I find myself unable to concentrate enough to play Underrail I play Darkest Dungeon to unwind. It is simplistic as fuck but it does have some depth. It would play great on mobile as bad as that sounds. Surely the developers can't be any worse than Celerity griping about it constantly like the game raped his mom? Was a single motherfucker on here expecting this game to change from Early Access to now? If I bought the game thinking it was going to be the next best thing I might get pissed and raise hell, but anybody should have seen how this would turn out. A solid effort from a no-name developer.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't understand the hate for this game. The art style and narration is perfect. Sure, it is shallow, but it is cheap enough to fuck around with in between legitimate RPG games .

It's in GRPGD, not general gaming. It's a forum for RPGs, not glorified mobile games. Total Biscuit praising it is like the nail in the coffin, an absolute tool who should stick to reviewing option menus.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't understand the hate for this game. The art style and narration is perfect. Sure, it is shallow, but it is cheap enough to fuck around with in between legitimate RPG games .

It's in GRPGD, not general gaming. It's a forum for RPGs, not glorified mobile games. Total Biscuit praising it is like the nail in the coffin, an absolute tool who should stick to reviewing option menus.

Ahh so the disdain is coming partly from the section it is in. I understand the Codex has a reputation to uphold. Can't go around supporting Decline and whatnot. It fits the criteria for RPG about as much as JRPG's do though. As for the glorified mobile game comment, I'm sure Shadowrun fans dislike that. Heh.

Celerity

I've yet to see any actual evidence of review manipulation. So far we just have celerity's repeated unsubsantiated claims.

Then you haven't watched the reviews or checked the compiled evidence.

This doesn't even fit TB's definition of a game. Very suspect. Either way, as much as people acknowledge it's a shitty mobile game that doesn't prevent them from trolling and harassing me about it, and even having Jim (who they also insult) join in. So aside from proving that most people are scumbags (which I already knew) this really has not accomplished anything.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Then you haven't watched the reviews or checked the compiled evidence.
What compiled evidence? Again, all I have seen so far are on this point is your word. And since you sound like a paranoid psychopath, I'm not going to take your word at face value. Show me actual evidence, instead of just repeating your insistence that it's happening.

This doesn't even fit TB's definition of a game. Very suspect.
I'm pretty sure TB knows what he considers a game better than you do. By the way, this is what I mean when I say you're a paranoid psychopath. Are you seriously suggesting they bought TB?

Celerity

I have seen TB's definition of a game. Derpest doesn't meet it. Why he approves anyways is suspect. Note: Not shady, I never said he was bought out, just that his behavior is inconsistent. Don't displace your insanity on me.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'd probably be more sympathetic to Celerity if it weren't for the obvious fact that he's pretty much only here because he needs a place to vent his obsessive hatred of Darkest Dungeon and we're the only moderately sized forum out there that'll tolerate his antics. Just look at his post history: a vast majority of his comments are in Darkest Dungeon related threads, and the only major deviation was him talking in a thread about how people should or shouldn't be judged on their opinion of a game based on how long they've played it, an obvious attempt to justify his hate of Darkest Dungeon despite investing over a thousand hours in to it.

Like seriously man, just take a step back for a week and find something else to do. Go outside, try a new hobby, maybe catch up on a TV show you've got in your backlog, because your near-constant bitching about this game just makes you look pathetic. I mean Jesus, you're implying that TotalBiscuit, a man who told Warner Brothers to fuck off when they tried to bribe him into giving a good review of Shadows of Mordor, a full-on AAA release, is part of some grand corrupt conspiracy to promote a moderately successful indie game.

At best, the people in the Darkest Dungeon thread view you as an amusing distraction: a village idiot to point and laugh while you make long manifesto-like rants about how evil Red Hook is and how everyone has been tricked into enjoying the game. Jesus, did you even read your comment about how people enjoying the game reminds you about "what I'm fighting for and against"? Did you even realize how sad and pathetic that makes you look? You're not Bernstein and Woodward, you're some asshole on the internet dedicating all your time here to raging about a mediocre indie game.

You're almost as bad as Ryulong, that cunt who spends every single day of his life editing wiki articles on GamerGate because he's so fucking furious that some trolls got to him and so utterly convinced that he can actually accomplish something worthwhile in his life by editing online wikis for every waking moment. Get ahold of yourself and find something more healthy to invest your time in, like something you actually enjoy.

Last edited:

Celerity

Actually, I have posted about other games. Know who keeps on carrying on about Derpest? You guys. Every time I come on here there's multiple quotes and summons and even people naming the thread after me. You want Derpest drama more than I do. I wouldn't have even known there was a Derpest thread here if Anthony Davis blasting the game didn't go viral.

And that's a fine example of what I mean right there. Twisting what I say, creating a strawman out of it, and then knocking that down. The actual words I actually said is "I have seen TB's definition of a game. Derpest doesn't meet it. Why he approves anyways is suspect. Note: Not shady, I never said he was bought out, just that his behavior is inconsistent"

You: HURR DURR BOUGHT OUT LOLS.

Now, I realize this forum is full of a bunch of basement dwelling autistics, and as such you take everything at face value so I will explain it very slowly, using small words:

When I am dealing with intelligent, reasonable people I will talk normally.
When I am dealing with idiots and trolls I will keep raising the trollish hyperbole levels..

If you can read lines like that and not immediately identify them as theatrics, that's your problem and not mine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom