Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Deleted member 7219

Still playing VC1. Around mission 7 I was thinking the game was getting too easy. Just shoot enemies in the face and send in Alicia to take their camps. Then the missions suddenly got a lot harder, with time limits and additional spawns.

I am also starting to enjoy the story, not as cringey Japanese as I thought it would be. The cutscenes look terrible, because they are low res, have the white canvas and the blurry shit which can be removed for gameplay and engine 'talkie' cutscenes, but not the pre-rendered ones, but I can deal.

Edit: Anyone who says you should play this with a controller should be given a dumbfuck tag automatically. The game demands M&KB for aiming and movement precision.
Game is perfectly playable with a Controller. Had no problem with it on PS3 and on PC with an Xbone controller.

Glad you're enjoying the game though! It does kinda spike in difficulty but it's definitely a welcome transition, considering those first few missions are piss easy.

Oh, I'm sure it is perfectly playable on a controller, but those of us playing it on PC have the advantage of using a mouse and keyboard, and they are much better to use for this game. Maybe not in the menus, but definitely in core gameplay because so much of it depends on precision - precision in aiming, and precision in movement.

Perkel

Arcane
Still playing VC1. Around mission 7 I was thinking the game was getting too easy. Just shoot enemies in the face and send in Alicia to take their camps. Then the missions suddenly got a lot harder, with time limits and additional spawns.

I am also starting to enjoy the story, not as cringey Japanese as I thought it would be. The cutscenes look terrible, because they are low res, have the white canvas and the blurry shit which can be removed for gameplay and engine 'talkie' cutscenes, but not the pre-rendered ones, but I can deal.

Edit: Anyone who says you should play this with a controller should be given a dumbfuck tag automatically. The game demands M&KB for aiming and movement precision.
Game is perfectly playable with a Controller. Had no problem with it on PS3 and on PC with an Xbone controller.

Glad you're enjoying the game though! It does kinda spike in difficulty but it's definitely a welcome transition, considering those first few missions are piss easy.

Oh, I'm sure it is perfectly playable on a controller, but those of us playing it on PC have the advantage of using a mouse and keyboard, and they are much better to use for this game. Maybe not in the menus, but definitely in core gameplay because so much of it depends on precision - precision in aiming, and precision in movement.

What the hell you are smoking. Analog movement is more precise than WSAD, mouse is more precise but game isn't fps. Game stops time you take you time to target places you want to hit (analog for fast, dpad for finetuning if you want) and time starts.

It's good that game doesn't have shitty k+m support like many other games made for consoles but i don't think VC is game that would give you anything more with k+m than controller.

Deleted member 7219

What the hell you are smoking. Analog movement is more precise than WSAD, mouse is more precise but game isn't fps. Game stops time you take you time to target places you want to hit (analog for fast, dpad for finetuning if you want) and time starts.

It's good that game doesn't have shitty k+m support like many other games made for consoles but i don't think VC is game that would give you anything more with k+m than controller.

That is strange, because enemies seem to be able to keep firing at me even during my own turn - so being able to quickly get into aim mode and blast them in the face is important, and I would hate to do it with a controller.

Perkel

Arcane
That is strange, because enemies seem to be able to keep firing at me even during my own turn - so being able to quickly get into aim mode and blast them in the face is important, and I would hate to do it with a controller.

yes but once you press fire button time completely stops and you can take as much time as you want targeting enemies.

As for movement. Frankly speaking i would love to see PC games using analog movement instead of crap digital WSAD. Fine tuning your aim via slight movement is superior to correction you make with changing camera view.

Analog movement + mouse for camera targeting is top tier stuff that should be in every FPS on pc. Unfortunetely usually games don't allow to use pad and mouse at the same time.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So my major question about the new game (a prequel that takes place 100 years in the past) is why technology was way more advanced (with quad--pedal mobile suits) in the past than it is in the setting's present (with tanks)?

... why does the princess character have magical songs? Wait, why is the country's princess on the battlefield at all? And shouldn't she at least be wearing ceremonial military dress of some sort if she's going to be in a war zone?

Athelas

Arcane
Weren't the Valkyrur the most technologically advanced society?

It's a setting that in the first game established that magical anime girls are this world's equivalent of atomic warfare, I don't think coherent world building was ever much of a priority.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's a setting that in the first game established that magical anime girls are this world's equivalent of atomic warfare, I don't think coherent world building was ever much of a priority.

There was in the first game. Isara claimed she was constantly maintaining/upgrading the Edelweiss so that it would be up to Europa 1930s technological standards, and the development of air flight corresponds loosely to real world proxies.

Also, one element of the fantastic (Valkyria) doesn't explain why now it is established princesses roam the battlefield in their state dress while practicing the bardic arts.

Not to mention that the development of those guns make it look like there wasn't much progress between Europa 1800s and Europa 1930s. If anything the 1930s look more primitive.

Shammy

Learned
So my major question about the new game (a prequel that takes place 100 years in the past) is why technology was way more advanced (with quad--pedal mobile suits) in the past than it is in the setting's present (with tanks)?

... why does the princess character have magical songs? Wait, why is the country's princess on the battlefield at all? And shouldn't she at least be wearing ceremonial military dress of some sort if she's going to be in a war zone?
Japanese narrative design is rarely a cohesive package, so the best answer is 'Japan'.

just let the weeaboo take control dont think let the primal urges surge

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
First-fucking-off a Gallian princess would be Darcsen, and this one is clearly not.
Weren't the Valkyrur the most technologically advanced society?

Second off, at least the first VC had the decency to cloud the Valkyrur in myth, as well as their disappearance that clearly included a gigantic (space-)ship they left on without outright stating it. That already puts it miles ahead of 95% of JRPGs lore wise.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

Because nips gotta nip.

VC1 is tolerable because all the anime tropes are downplayed - they exist but they aren't showed to your face. The guns are somewhat realistic, soldiers actually wear uniforms, the protagonist are teenagers because they've volunteered in a militia and the Valkyr's are an ancient myth. As far as I've understood, each following media product (game, tv-show, comic books) have gotten worse and worse in this aspect. Gotta pander to that otaku crowd to get that sweet sweet yen.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Look if you worry about the story in a Valkyria Chronicles game then you're gonna have a tough time. The first game's story is probably the best out of all of them, and even that's a broken mess of jumbled themes and moral messages, peppered with hypocritical animu cliches about the power of friendship and camaraderie and such.

Look if you worry about the story in a Valkyria Chronicles game then you're gonna have a tough time. The first game's story is probably the best out of all of them, and even that's a broken mess of jumbled themes and moral messages, peppered with hypocritical animu cliches about the power of friendship and camaraderie and such.

Not so much the story as just the setting really just the atmosphere of the implied history. Europa was Europe in the 1930s, including the associations between the Jews and the Darcsens. I thought that was pretty cool.

Now it seems to have been established that Europa is as static technologically as the Star Wars universe. It's always been a Magitek/Dieselpunk mash up and it always will be.

I mean, we'll see how it goes, but I don't see how went from quad--pedal mechs in the early 1800s to tanks in the early 1900s.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Just shut off your brain and enjoy the cool tanks and uniforms and maybe boobs unless you swing the other direction.

Also this new game is supposed to be a completely new universe or something so I don't think there's any timeline connection any more to go from mechs -> WW2 Tanks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even though this was released in 2008, some aspects of its story remain relevant in this year.
28lyp93.jpg

1zmnjn6.jpg

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't understand why they didn't show which enemies would be visible on your map from your starting positions when it's time to deploy. Whenever I went in with a bad/obviously suboptimal setup, I just reloaded. Why make it minor guesswork?

When it came to weapon customization, I found it hard to pass up anything that didn't give me more range. Killing things before they have a chance to hurt you is the way to go imo.

Anyway, pretty tacticool campaign for the most part. I didn't like the mission where you had to tediously take out that giant tank's radiators turn by turn, and the one where you have to take out two tanks on the opposite side of the map is the same without using metaknowledge to position units to take them out right after they spawn in. Wasn't surprised to see those two show up as google autocomplete options. Missions went by way faster after I got my Valkyria powers, which coincided with the unlocking of the double movement scout potential. Completing a mission or skirmish within one turn is nice for a bit; fortunately this happened when things were wrapping up. I'm not going to bother to see if the balance holds up with the new game plus hard skirmishes since I've had my fill. Too bad about the mobile sequels and the upcoming jrpg. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mozg

Arcane
God damn the pseudohistory in VC is insufferable.

So what's the fun way to play this? Should I try to SSS rank every stage, or just plow through with my B on the tutorial, or what?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
God damn the pseudohistory in VC is insufferable.

So what's the fun way to play this? Should I try to SSS rank every stage, or just plow through with my B on the tutorial, or what?
Just play normally until you get to the point where you just want to finish it already, then go for fastest completion possible. That's how I did it and I wasn't hurting for XP or money.

I get the impression that a lot of people don't particularly enjoy the playstyle that's necessary to complete missions as quickly as possible.

fraxli

Educated
New information about Valkyria: Azure Revolution
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/valkyria...iler-composer-videos-new-setting-demo-details
Sega has released an extended teaser trailer, two song making-of videos featuring composer Yasunori Mitsuda and singer Sarah Alainn, and new details on Valkyria: Azure Revolution for PlayStation 4.

Get the information below.

Jutland Kingdom

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_002.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_002.jpg

The main characters’ country.

Ruled by heroine Ophelia’s father, the king through a constitutional monarchy.

The king is head of state, but holds little political power. The House of Representatives and House of Lords with the country constitution form the administering royal parliament.

Located in the southern part of Europe, it has a warm climate and the agriculture flourishes out of the abundant soil, but the land lacks resources of Ragnite. Because of the hardworking diligence of its people, it is a nation founded on great craftsmanship.

In the Holy Era year 1852, four major countries met in alliance focusing on the Rus Empire, later called the “BRuFH Alliance,” and decided a baseless blockade to stop the importation of Ragnite, leading to extreme poverty. That became a big cause of the war that began the following year.

Despite being a founded on great craftsmanship, Magic Arts Industry production stopped across the board as a result of exhausted resources, and the city’s “Azure Light” disappeared.

Maxim

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_003.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_003.jpg

A direct man who fights under the military rule of Rus Empire Emperor Claudius. As a young general of the empire, he’ll often stand before Amleth. He was born in Empire territory, and became a young soldier when selected for military officer training by Emperor Claudius. As a result of an experiment where Ragnite was implanted in his body, he is able to use Magic Arts of overwhelming power.

Sega also went up with a page detailing the game’s “Battle Demo Ver. 1.0” included with first-print copies of Valkyria Chronicles Remaster.

■ About

In Battle Demo Ver. 1.0, you can play two missions:

• Mission 01: “Morda Practice Fight” – A tutorial mission.
  • Mission 02: “Morda Suppression Fight” – An actual mission with a higher degree of difficulty.
Clear Mission 01 to unlock Mission 02.

■ Mission

01. Briefing

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_001.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_001.jpg

During the Briefing phase, you’ll receive a description of the selected mission and can check its flow and strategy objectives.

02. Mission Start

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_002.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_002.jpg

By controlling the player character, you can move around the field and battle. You’ll clear the stage when you achieve the mission goal.

03. Result

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_003.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_003.jpg

After achieving the mission goal, the results will be displayed on screen. Your rank is determined based on the number of enemies defeated and your clear time.

■ LeGION Battle System

Freely Run Around the Battlefield and Forestall the Enemy

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_004.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_004.jpg

This game uses the “LeGION” battle system. You’ll face a large number of enemy symbols arranged on the battlefield. By shooting and using your sub-weapon, aim to create a better condition on the battlefield.

Close Combat

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_005.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_005.jpg

When you approach an enemy at close range, you’ll fight using melee weapons and Magic Arts. Through high-power action, annihilate your enemies in battle.

Create a Strategy

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_006.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_006.jpg

Since the situation created on the field has a significant influence on later battles, strategic action is required.

■ Reactions

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_007.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_007.jpg

Depending on the situation, characters will have four different “reactions.” By taking advantage of each action’s features and the state of battle, it will be easier to induce the intended reaction.

• Surprised – Triggered when something unexpected occurs. Because there is a temporary opening when someone is surprised, it can be used as a chance to attack.
  • Impatient – Triggered when in an adverse situation. Since your action frequency and motivation decreases when impatient, you can reduce the potential of a counterattack from the enemy.
  • Angry – Triggered when hostility towards the target is increased. Although anger strengthens attack, defense is decreased, so caution is required.
  • Determined – Triggered when protection awareness is increased. Since defense increases when you’re determined, defensive action is recommended.
■ Near-Death

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_008.jpg

Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_008.jpg

When the HP of a party member reaches zero, he or she will enter a “dying” state and a death countdown will begin. By successfully “rescuing” party members, it is possible to revive them. However, if a party member’s death countdown reaches zero, they will enter a “dead” state and be withdrawn from battle, never again to be used during missions.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
While this may not be a VC game it may not be a utter failure.

That was the original Codex consensus. Then they announced things like "character permadeath" and "actions in one battlefield affecting later battlefields." Consequently the ranks are breaking a bit.

Avellion

Erudite

Here is a longer video of it, if you are willing to stomach 40 minutes of decline. No commentary though.

The AI takes stupidity to a whole new level.

Last edited:

Leshy

Educated
Hmm... As much I'd love an action RPG in the Valkyria setting, melee combat really feels wrong here. Valkyria: Chronicles was all about trenches, cover and maneuvering. Azure seem so generic :(

Deleted member 7219

Melee would be ok if they kept it turn based. I thought Valkyria Chronicles had a really good turn based combat system. Real time just doesn't feel right here.

TedNugent

Arcane
What the fuck is that final fantasy garbage. I loved Valkyria Chronicles....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom