Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hundreds of hours playing this game, and only now have I discovered that double-clicking your portrait centers the screen on your character. I've known you can use it to aim bandages at yourself for a while now, though.

You know, one way to solve the "enemy hidden behind door" issue might be to have a "cycle between visible enemies" key, so that you can target them even if you can't click them directly.

Coyote

Arcane
Here is my build idea for my knifer / trapper rogue:

http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwG...lGkMyIuNnubHfvtUUXKQ0RUoqcELwZoAdhDJYkuUKrggA

Unsure about taking expertise or recklessness as starting feat, as I will only have room for one of them.

The 2 remaining feats will either go in eviscerate / taste for blood or grenadier / trap expert for some extra versatality.

Thoughts?

I'd drop Dirty Kick and take both; Expertise in particular is something I found absolutely indispensable on my knife build. It doesn't really synergize with knives in the same way that it does with SMGs/assault rifles or unarmed, but even with crit chance as high as you can get it you can expect to do 4-5 regular hits on the average turn, and being able to do reliable damage makes a huge difference. Hell, with a good shock knife and Expertise, I found that I didn't even really need Expose Weakness until level 16 or so.

You also might considering dropping CON two points, taking AGI up two, and dropping Fancy Footwork in favor of Blitz. Since you'd already have Sprint and high AGI, you should have plenty of movement points to spare, and being able to squeeze out an extra hit or two in a pinch can often make the difference between taking out an enemy and leaving him alive with a sliver of health to attack you on his turn. You've got plenty of ways to avoid getting hit (Quick Tinkering, a taser, Electronics for a high-quality crafted shield, lots of movement points and Sprint, Uncanny Dodge, and high Evasion), so that extra CON will likely go wasted as is.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Knife build:

Ignore expertise. It works only on non-critical and your main damage comes from crits.

Dirty kick is must have, almost all stuns in game are 1 turn, 2-turn stun is just too good.

Also recklessness is a must, you rely on crits in knife buld (will have around 40%+ with kukri).

Lhynn

Arcane
Knife build:

Ignore expertise. It works only on non-critical and your main damage comes from crits.

Dirty kick is must have, almost all stuns in game are 1 turn, 2-turn stun is just too good.

Also recklessness is a must, you rely on crits in knife buld (will have around 40%+ with kukri).
You want a bleeding weapon, bleed feats add like 80% extra damage plus AP cost reduction.

Ziem

Arbiter
pretty sure it just increases the damage these on hit effects do

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Thanks. If 45-50% effect chance is the highest it goes, probably won't bother with it. In important battles, 50% = 20%. :troll:

Acid blob pistols are fantastic against Bladelings though, easiest Foundry run ever.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey Blaine you mentioned that even though you didn't initially increase hacking you eventually did because of DC. I don't care about opening every locked container, I just want to be able to use it for accessing important additional routes/options. How much should I put there?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Hey Blaine you mentioned that even though you didn't initially increase hacking you eventually did because of DC. I don't care about opening every locked container, I just want to be able to use it for accessing important additional routes/options. How much should I put there?

I'd always had Hacking on my last character.

For pre-DC, you'll need 95 Hacking to access one piece of info on one particular console, if you have the best hacking device (it's not Haxxor Mk III; there's a unique item you can obtain as a reward).

Post-DC, if you have that unique device, you'll need 115 Hacking to access numerous containers that require 130 Hacking. There are a very few consoles/containers that require 135, so for those you'll need 120 Hacking.

These are all (adjusted) scores, and not taking food buffs (Junkyard Surprise) into account, because that's way too fiddly and expensive. Without the unique device, and only a Haxxor Mk III, add 5 to the totals I've listed.

If you don't care about loot containers, or about one secret piece of info on one console, most likely 100 Hacking would be enough for most things. You can't use your hacking device and its bonuses during special computer dialogues. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly how much Hacking is required for special computer dialogues down in DC, but if I remember correctly, I ended with 120 Hacking... 110 is a fairly safe bet if excepting containers. But then, you might as well go to 115 or 120.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Anyone has table like Eyestabber's but for SMGs?
Playing my JC Denton now, all perks on sneak, steal, open locks, and Spec Ops + Opportunist. Stealth > flashbang > burst > taser > burst > crossbow shock bolt > burst etc. I level up both guns and crossbows but skip crossbow levels sometimes since I just want them for shock bolts and flavour (I think they follow the great RPG axiom of weapon balancing - make weapon weak against armor = make weapon useless). Quite cool, just killed pack of lurkers without giving them a break.
I use 7.62 Jaguar for now, with 12 DEX it's 3 bursts per round 16 AP each, wonder if there are other options. The 5 mm one sucks, and with silencer you even get penalty to damage - laaame.

Should I upgrade my DEX beyond 12?

Also dumb question, but is crossbow silent weapon? Can I safely break cameras with it?

I miss smoke bombs, would be great to have to break line of sight or to re-stealth. My batman belt would then be complete.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
in general, for any dex build the more dex the better
Yea but we're talking SMG here, it's about thresholds. If it's impossible to accomplish 4 bursts per round with 7.62, then more than 12 dex is not needed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think its possible on a Jaguar frame. I got it down to 10 AP per burst on my first SMG run.
I'm using laser sight + smart, I take it I'd have to put rapid reloader in then instead of LS and hope I'll hit something.

damager

Arbiter

For pre-DC, you'll need 95 Hacking to access one piece of info on one particular console, if you have the best hacking device (it's not Haxxor Mk III; there's a unique item you can obtain as a reward).

Post-DC, if you have that unique device, you'll need 115 Hacking to access numerous containers that require 130 Hacking. There are a very few consoles/containers that require 135, so for those you'll need 120 Hacking.

These are all (adjusted) scores, and not taking food buffs (Junkyard Surprise) into account, because that's way too fiddly and expensive. Without the unique device, and only a Haxxor Mk III, add 5 to the totals I've listed.

If you don't care about loot containers, or about one secret piece of info on one console, most likely 100 Hacking would be enough for most things. You can't use your hacking device and its bonuses during special computer dialogues. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly how much Hacking is required for special computer dialogues down in DC, but if I remember correctly, I ended with 120 Hacking... 110 is a fairly safe bet if excepting containers. But then, you might as well go to 115 or 120.

Good info. What about lock picking?

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape

Good info. What about lock picking?

About the same level as hacking.

axedice

Cipher
I've started the game as a psionic (with oddity system just to try it out) and played till core city, but it feels a bit like a generic D&D mage so I'd like to start again, this time with an assault rifle juggernaut.

The build is standard - S:8 , D:3 , A:3 , C:9 , P:10 , W:3 , I:4 with 1)guns, 2)throw, 3)hack, 4)lockpick, 5)mechanics, 6)electronics and 7)tailoring.

Since this will be my first complete playthrough (I hope) I have a few questions:

1) For my 8th skill should I go for persuasion or biology? How much content does persuasion unlock, and if I were to roll with classic xp system would it matter (you skip some combat with persuasion IIRC). Persuasion probably unlocks additional content later ingame, so thats another reason for me to prefer it over biology. Or maybe I'll increase Will to 4, and go for tailor + biology + persuasion at reduced rates?

2) Which faction should I follow for maximum content? (Protectorate vs Libruls) I've seen some quests and read some spoilers (gas libruls l0l) , do I need persuasion for any factions later in the game? (there was a discussion about this in the other topic but I tried to avoid spoilers as much as possible)

3) I would like to test the classic xp system, but should I reserve it for a later gameplay? Without stealth, juggernaut seems like a suitable match for non-oddity gameplay though.

Blaine and epeli should be summoned I guess
oh and Eyestabber

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Standard build? 3 DEX and no Chemistry for a Throwing build? 4 INT? Almost all of your skills will be penalized, except Guns. You'll be suffering in the beginning; by the time you're not suffering so much anymore due to all those penalties, your ability to shred enemies with ARs would have been nearly as great had you not min-maxed so much in the beginning. Without Chemistry (which there's room for in your stated load-out), you'll have little or no access to Mk IV or V grenades. You'll have to wait quite a while just to find adequate quantities of Mk IIIs in shops.

Chemistry should be your 8th skill, period. Later you could branch into Biology and eventually get it to 130 for the high-end stims and hypos, which will be very handy for an AR juggernaut. Again, having shit-tier DEX would hurt you because it makes fishing more difficult, even after the changes.

Trust me, that 9 CON and extra-high PER aren't worth having shit-tier Initiative, penalized Throwing, stunted crafting and Lockpicking/Hacking, etc. Put INT at 6 and DEX at 6-7, and aim for 50 Chemistry fairly soon, then 69 Chemistry when you can. That will carry you through to DC easily with Mk IV grenades (and mines, if you go that way). In the beginning and even through the mid-game, one grenade can decide many fights.

High CON is good, but 7 should be fine. I'd rather have two more points in STR than CON if I had the additional points to spend, because knife homos will utterly trash your AP and accuracy when you're just barely strong enough for your armor.

I've just played through nearly to DC with an assault rifle juggernaut, and I'd have killed myself by now if I'd set my INT and DEX so low.

AR juggernauts are extremely vulnerable to knife homos, 100% of whom have Crippling Strike and always use it (and it routinely stacks twice in a single turn for -4 STR; Styg fix pls). I'd rather bomb the shit out of myself with a Mk V grenade then let a little knife homo anywhere near me. (It was the same story in my Early Access sledgehammer playthrough). They are also very vulnerable to psi, especially if you have low WIL, which mine does and yours will, too. None of your armor is worth a squirt of piss, and good luck resisting any of the disables. If you come upon a large group of psionics, be sure to use Morphine, because even with 700-800 HP and massive shields they can still trash you fairly easily (mainly thinking of Lunatic HQ here, or Tchortists).

TL;DR: Don't min-max so much. Dial down the CON and PER a bit and dial up the DEX and INT, and make sure you have Chemistry.

Oh, with a Guns guy, I'd go for Classic just because leveling up faster = more Guns skill, sooner = more accuracy, sooner. If hitting 25 before you reach DC is a problem for you, though, go Oddity instead. Pick whichever faction you like; their content is about the same as far as quantity is concerned. However, I suspect Protectorate has a better merchant. Still and all, slaughtering Fort Apogee is challenging and fun.

Last edited:

Inf0mercial

Augur
Ehhhh, 3 dex is what i used throwing and lockpicking are down from what it should be but you find enough mark 2 lockpicks to be fine/jacknife and throwing is fine if the point of it is to be able to throw nades with enough accuracy you can actually use things like flash bangs with a certain degree of accuracy oh and also emps.

Later on you mass make mk5 nades and flashbangs/ gas grenades.

Grenades i find i am using for CC and special stacks like contaminate, also Caltrops are holy shit awesome against melee/ any area you know enemies will come through/ early rat hound swarms.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Ehhhh, 3 dex is what i used throwing and lockpicking are down from what it should be but you find enough mark 2 lockpicks to be fine/jacknife and throwing is fine if the point of it is to be able to throw nades with enough accuracy you can actually use things like flash bangs with a certain degree of accuracy oh and also emps.

Later on you mass make mk5 nades and flashbangs/ gas grenades.

Grenades i find i am using for CC and special stacks like contaminate, also Caltrops are holy shit awesome against melee/ any area you know enemies will come through/ early rat hound swarms.

3 DEX why bother using arms at all besides carrying stuff.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Inf0mercial You're right, low DEX isn't going to totally sink your ship, but then neither will dialing 9 CON down to 7 CON. In the great majority of fights, almost all of them in fact, an extra 100 max HP at high character levels (if you already have hundreds) really isn't going to make much difference. Most of the time you won't even lose half of your HP, or anywhere close to half of your HP. In my opinion, you'll miss that extra DEX a whole lot more than you'll miss the extra HP and Fortitude.

As for the low INT, lower INT means more skill points spent to reach the same crafting landmarks, and it takes longer, too.

Even when relying on Guns, you can do without obscene PER. You can spend your bonus attributes on mostly PER as you level, and 10-11 at max level is more than enough to shred enemies effectively with an AR (though, I prefer 12 PER by level 24).

Caltrops are indeed great, especially Cave Ear caltrops since they're so cheap and easy to make and drastically reduce ranged enemies' accuracy.

Last edited:

Ziem

Arbiter
you dont suffer any penalties with 4 stat
throwing becomes pretty reliable around 60-70 having a penalty here is fine i think (especially since if you're running around in heavy armor, a frag granade that accidently flies to close won't hurt as much)
also high con gives access to some pretty nice feats, like the last stand, thick skull or survival instincts. i think its better than having 7 con which doesn't really provide as much.

Inf0mercial

Augur
If your going heavy armour and Gun then i have no idea what your spending your points on if not crafting skills and 7 int is pretty much mandatory with high mechanics and electronics, i mean can you imagine having to re buy the gun barrels and gun stocks/goggles constantly, 10% debuff doesn't actually matter until late game when its 100 quality knocking it down to 90 actually hurts, idk i remake my armour and guns so often when i find better parts that not being able to reuse stock parts or re use gun parts seems like it would hurt alot.

Thick skull has saved my ass so many times i can't imagine a non stealth build lacking it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
7 CON gets you Juggernaut, which is the main thing on an AR/grenadier heavy commando build.

Last Stand, Thick Skull and so on require very high CON, and in my view aren't worth your limited attribute points and feat slots as AR/grenadier heavy commando. Those feats are more suited to sledgehammer builds that don't need any PER, for example. YMMV.

I don't see the point in Thick Skull when I can very easily tank the damage with my shield, armor, and HP while stunned; it's a different story against psi users, who aside from knife users are most dangerous to heavy AR commandos... but the thing is, many psi disables aren't "stuns" and Thick Skull doesn't do shit against them.

That's the main thing, really. The worst disables you need to worry about as heavy AR commando are Mental Breakdown, Cryostasis and so on, and Thick Skull does nothing against them.

I'm just about ready to enter DC and never once have I thought, "Wow, I wish I had Thick Skull."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom