Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In what way Bloodlines feels unfinished?

Mamon

Scholar
I really want to play to play the game, but everytime keeps telling me the game is unfinished. Is it because it feels like KOTOR2 (unfinished storylines and stuff) or because of the sheer bugginess of the game?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The bugginess ain't that bad, really.

To me, who only played this game once, it's the uninspired ending scenarios. While the endings of the game is superb, the way to get there is not: houses after houses of monsters you have to hack and slash, hundreds of them.

It's a lot like the endgame in Kotor 2.

Inziladun

Magister
It's no so much like KOTOR 2 where everything falls apart and eventually leads to absolutely nothing. Because the Ending(s) of Bloodlines are coherent and are actually quite good. It's mainly just the filler in between the major cut-scenes that gets bland and uninspired(it starts about 3/4s into the game). Which is a better situation than KOTOR 2, no doubt.

To put it simply, it basically just becomes a dungeon romp. The problem arises from the fact that the combat isn't anything to write home about. So getting through those hundreds (oh, and there are hundreds) of fodder can be like nails on a chalk board. But it's, sadly, something most people have become accustomed to these days.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
People mights say it feels unfinished because it suffers from what many games do in that in the beginning there are multiple quests and side quests and toward the end it becomes one "dungeon crawl" after another. And the sewer level is just wretched. I was never to badly affected by bugs, but it did have some doozys.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The sewer level is the least painful of all dungeon crawls in the game since you can "stealth" through it, a luxury the latter levels don't offer you, I don't think.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I liked that game a lot and seem to have forgotten the fact that the later half of it was mostly homosexual rape. That is probably because I am a vampire faggot. Now, as said the first half is good, the other not so much.

I still thought the game had plenty of atmosphere even when it degenerated to a linear click-fest. I forgot some of it though so it musn't be all that great. At the time I think there was much complain about it on the Codex, but at that time the standards were a lot higher.

Mamon

Scholar
Does it still have C&C, dialogues and stuff in the second half?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I actually managed to complete like first 2/3 of the game using diplomacy and dialogues.
But then it magically turned into yet another dungeon crawl.
But it's a MUST-PLAY game.
My favorite enging is for the chinese vampires ;)

p.s. yes - it has c&c. even in the end.
though depending on how you walked through the previous part of the game you won't receive some ways to end it.

Mamon

Scholar
Do you think it is better than Kotor?

Also is the dungeon crawl similar to the star forge?

Texas Red

Whiner
Agree with Skyway. Its a must-play for sure. The characters, the different bosses, the design and everything else is just beautiful. I didnt mind the combat, I actually enjoyed it. I got through the sewers without being frustrated. If you played NWN 2 OC, youre probably hardened enough to handle any dungeon.

I was actually afraid of going to the house were the tape was produced. It was so scary :(.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mamon said:

it's a way better than kotor.
well the last dungeon crawl is similar in that you have to kill pretty many bastards on your way to the conclusion of the game. But even there you would get some choices to make.
but I could care less as in a whole the game is awesome. You have to play it. Just don't forget to patch it.
This game is actually how I want Action-RPGs to be.

Mamon

Scholar
Oh well do you recommend the 1.2 patch or the other one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I completed the game 2 times.
1st time - when it was 1.0 version (it was a hell though)
2nd time - with the patch 1.2 (got the bug in only one of the quests)

patch the game to 1.2 then apply some fan patch (there's only one that is active now I think) and ffs start playing the game already.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mamon said:
I really want to play to play the game, but everytime keeps telling me the game is unfinished.
It's not unfinished. It has other issues though. See the official Codex review or my opinion.

Baphomet

Scholar
It didn't feel unfinished to me though I get what a lot of you are saying about how the endgame needed more stealth and dialogue based solutions. The overwhelming number of mortal antagonists aren't very hard, since feeding restores your health so quickly. Ventrue and Tremere could rely on Dominate, Malkavians and Nosferatu could rely on Obfuscate. Gangrel and Brujah players are so naturally badass it doesn't matter anyway. Not sure how you'd get through as a Toreador, but they are useless and deserve to die anyway.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Mamon said:

KotOR is more polished and more comfortable to play. The dungeon crawl at the end is a lot worse than Star Forge, though that's partly because KotOR combat is easier.

I believe there's only one game-stopping bug at release, and that's fixed by patches. I loved all the options and playing a Malkavian is a real hoot. Newscasts reflecting the things you've done add that nice illusion of the player affecting the game world; some of the levels are wonderfully creepy (hihi haunted hotel), and generally it's a great game, albeit technically flawed.

Baphomet said:
Not sure how you'd get through as a Toreador, but they are useless and deserve to die anyway.

Ah, I played Toreador once because the Tremere ZOMGGOTH look made me wince and Malkavian breasts made me cringe, and I can tell that Toreadors do fine enough in combat. Celerity is good.

Mamon

Scholar
Does patch unofficiall patch 4 remove the respawning of enemies? How is the experience with that patch (seems more like a mod, but whatever)?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Not sure how you'd get through as a Toreador, but they are useless and deserve to die anyway.

I actually completed 2/3 of the game without almost any fighting with Toreador. And it was my first completion of the game when it was 1.0... It was fun actually - I received a lot of dialogue options, so I kinda was rich and had an AAA place to live.

Mamon

Scholar
Nobody answered this question:

"Does patch unofficiall patch 4 remove the respawning of enemies? How is the experience with that patch (seems more like a mod, but whatever)?"

:(

Zomg

Arbiter
I can only think of like two or three one-minute long stretches with respawning enemies. There are long dungeon crawls without respawning that are much more offensive.

stargelman

Scholar
Baphomet said:
Toreador have celerity, don't they? Anyway, there's (many) good ways to finish the game with every clan. You just have to find out what those are.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Toreador are arguably the most powerful clan . . . they're one of the few that let you reach the skill levels to be able to accomplish almost literally everything in the game that's not obviously contradictory. Their starting stat distribution is ideal. Also, they have Celerity, which is just hopelessly broken, and Auspex, which allows you to obtain maxed skills in both melee and firearms (don't invest much in strength or dexterity, just use blood buff to pump them to max, and only put three points in perception, gaining the rest from Auspex, which is cheaper). A Toreador definitely has the easiest time in the game, and doesn't have to sacrifice any combat ability in order to get high levels of persuasion, lockpicking, and seduction.

Plus, Celerity is really fun.

psycojester

Arbiter
Malkavian breasts made me cringe

You really should be playing as a male Malkavian, if for no other reason that to end up dressed in a floor length white fur coat and a Dr Suess top hat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom