Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
Anyway, we didn't send her there to be incredibly sneaky or diplomatic, those are not her strengths. If she bests the guards in a friendly match and then states her case, the words of a trained fighter that saw something sinister in the forest with a reason to be there (training, adventuring, etc.) are much more credible than those of a scared little girl who could easily be making up something from a dream.

Actually, even though Aria is not known for her skill at diplomacy, she does have the raw charisma, will and good looks to take advantage of if she wants to. Her Charisma score is B C, which is way, way higher than average, which should translate into the ability of at the very least bullshit her way past the guards with little effort. Should she fail, then due her lack of patience she most surely would try to force her way inside the camp. In addition, while Aria certainly has the skill to take out these guards, I'm not sure if she can do so without killing/greatly injure them in the process, which is something that would make things really difficult. That's why I'll update the my vote for the first choice to B for the moment.

Also, something to talke into consideration is the fact that the update seems to imply right now it is nighttime (unless I misread something). While that limits our mobility inside the camp somewhat, it can give us other opportunities once we bypass these sentries.

I think we should extend Erdrick's helpful life advice (TM) to the second twin

We still have to see if Arlin actually followed that advice or not. Or if the first one he ever gave to these two caused some sort of effect to start with (the one where he explained the reasoning behind looting the fallen enemies).

He'll be used and discarded, as all turbodweebs are meant to.

Actually, that kid may have his uses. I was considering "recruiting" him into our service, be it to allow Aria to blow off some steam, serve as a punching bag for the goblins and/or the twins, become a new test subject for the Cursed Eyes (in the case our current prisoner rejects the implant) and, lastly but not least, to be given a training harsh enough to allow him to be useful to us (only in the unlikely case the boy also has Potential™, as the twins do).

EDITED: Thank you for pointing out that typo Azira.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We have Rin for that,
And since we have Erdrick to do all the creative thinking, we shouldn't cultivate it in Arlin?
I understand that you find warriors boring, but they have their place and purpose, too. Yeah, you're absolutely right that I want to focus the kids' training on a specific skill set at the moment (using Morrowind/Daggerfall lingo, battlemage for Aria and nightblade for Arlin) and branch them out later, but that's kind of besides the point right now.

I don't want to pick D, because this kid is an unnecessary obstacle. I don't want him following Aria around and trying to 'protect her' or some such nonsense.

Not every new opportunity should be taken advantage of, especially if the character isn't well equipped to deal with it. Aria may have a C in her Charisma, but she's better at pissing people off, than playing diplomat.

On the other hand, Esquilax raised a good point:
Fighting our way in is interesting, but I'm curious as to whether these guards are tougher than Aria thinks. She's brash and headstrong, plus she's just gotten done with a long period of training with Erdrick, so perhaps she could be underestimating the guards. This is speculation on my part, though.
I think she has the same character trait as Dio, where she thinks she's the baddest bitch in the room at any given moment.
Judging by the decision texts, she thinks she can accomplish any option, be it fighting through like Rin, or sneaking past the guards, no worse than Arlin. Except that I'm not too sure that she can wipe the floor with them without using Gigadyne.

So I'll flop to
B>A A
And try to talk our way to the prince, before we start smashing skulls.

Kipeci

Arcane
Actually, even though Aria is not known for her skill at diplomacy, she does have the raw charisma, will and good looks to take advantage of if she wants to. Her Charisma score is B C, which is way, way higher than average, which should translate into the ability of at the very least bullshit her way past the guards with little effort. Should she fail, then due her lack of patience she most surely would try to force her way inside the camp. In addition, while Aria certainly has the skill to take out these guards, I'm not sure if she can do so without killing/greatly injure them in the process, which is something that would make things really difficult. That's why I'll update the my vote for the first choice to B for the moment.
In accordance with my thought, a tool should ideally be used in accordance with what it is designed to do best. I have no doubt that she can do the more diplomatic/sneak route, just as I think I would be quite capable of cutting up a steak with a spoon. The problem in both cases is that it takes more effort than it should and is messier than using the correct tool for the job. Aria is a fierce girl with a fiery temper and a harsh tongue. While she can certainly try to convince herself to suck it up and keep a cooler head while attempting to convince this group of arrogant nobles that she needs to lead them into the woods, the choice itself says she's not confident in this. What happens if they start calling her some jumped up peasant girl trying to lead them off on a wild goose chase? How well can she manage her temper? Charisma and good lucks won't override everything if she pisses them off in the heat of the moment, and even if she manages to repress herself that's taking energy away from devising a better story.

It's easier to play to her strengths, which will come off as more genuine. She has tremendous confidence in the likelihood to best the guards in A. The guards slighted her by calling her a lovebird, she naturally challenges them to a duel and defeats them with her well-established powers. Perfectly reasonable given her personality, draws attention from others inside the camp without her having to come up with some bullshit to enter it and it clearly establishes her as an adventurer type given her strength, which can then be backed up by the squires as supporting evidence given their encounter in the other dangerous woods. That gives her more immediate credibility for why she's wandering in the monster-infested, ill-regarded Forest of Ruin, which will prove to be invaluable for setting her up as the guide into our trap.

I don't think it's a good idea to rely on the squires to put the word forward that she beat them. It's one thing if she beats up two professional soldiers by herself (it's not so bad if folks that are supposed to be stronger than you were beaten by a Mystic Fighter, after all), it's another entirely if she appears as some peasant rube as she would in the other options. The squires would presumably not want to lose face by volunteering that fact to all of their professional contacts. Beyond that, we don't even know how seriously regarded they are.

Anyway, I think it's also an overestimate to say that Aria would definitely kill these guys. I have no doubt that she could, but she's not exactly flowing with power like Rin is; given that she has been trained, I think she has enough coordination and self-control to keep it cool. Look at her conduct in the duel with the squire.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And since we have Erdrick to do all the creative thinking, we shouldn't cultivate it in Arlin?
No, we should cultivate it in both, because creative thinking can be applied to violence as well... just not by Rin.

I used Rin as a negative example of overspecialization that should not be followed. Erdrick's success rate is much higher, no matter if he is punching slimes or steals governors' daughters.

Are these guards being paid to forget who comes in and out of the gate? Particularly the ones that they have singled out for mockery and derision? Miss C-level Charisma with the pretty face and the blushing bumpkin in her tow? No.
The guards are nobodies. They are not the ones making decisions past the point of whether or not to allow you through. They are of no relevance and of no consequence.

How do you even imagine them interfering? Suppose we find Alexander or introduce ourselves via some other method. What do you expect them to say? "No, sire, you should chase this girl away, she is not an adventurer, but totally a peasant... uh, with a sword... because we assumed so, and because we are definitely not a pair of incompetents who underestimate people and let anyone with more than two braincells in! Please don't send us to clean the latrines again."

I think they'd hope no one remembers how she got there, because otherwise it's them failing their one job - sentry duty.

The problem is not that Aria will have problems getting attention for many other reasons after playing a peasant previously, but that she then has to explain why she didn't immediately announce herself and her true intentions at first, the way that every other honest visitor does.
It's her village, FFS. She is free to come and go whenever she wishes. Maybe her true intentions were to help the poor tired villager boy, since it was along the way.

People who sneak, ipso facto, have something to hide. People who have something to hide are not accorded credibility.
You confuse this with option C, which is the sneaking option. You know, because it has the word 'sneak' in it. :roll:

D is not about hiding. It's about looking around first.

That said, I can also appreciate option D as it might force her to sand down her rougher edges to fit in with her mission. She's such an abrasive, harsh person that I think she'll cause trouble in the future if it's not headed off. Take the tussle over the fish, for instance. She allowed her distaste for the snooty authorities to totally override her mission and escalate into a fight, exhausting herself and forgetting that the point of her mission was to catch dinner. Now, it ended up okay because harvesting XP is always well and good, but imagine if she had been delegated a duty that we actually cared about as voters rather than the fish! While I think this option is better for Aria mentally, though, the fact is that the option A will make her stronger and do a better job of improving her credibility for our mission. I can't overlook that.
I know you are just joking (hopefully), but I honestly think that her handling of the slime affair was very good.

Our mission there was not to get dinner. It was to get the slimes. She just shown that she knows how to prioritize. Of course, that meant forgoing her Master's 'assignment' in favor of a greater goal... but isn't her fixation on Erdrick exactly the thing that you find creepy? How much worse it would be if she ignored our purpose there to comply with her Master's literal orders? :|

Erdrick chastising her was mostly because we are a dick. He still rewarded her with a personal training in the end.

In accordance with my thought, a tool should ideally be used in accordance with what it is designed to do best. I have no doubt that she can do the more diplomatic/sneak route, just as I think I would be quite capable of cutting up a steak with a spoon. The problem in both cases is that it takes more effort than it should and is messier than using the correct tool for the job.
You have heard of multitools, yes? :)
acecamp-2573-posate-pieghevoli--i80283083.jpg
Aria is a fierce girl with a fiery temper and a harsh tongue. While she can certainly try to convince herself to suck it up and keep a cooler head while attempting to convince this group of arrogant nobles that she needs to lead them into the woods, the choice itself says she's not confident in this. What happens if they start calling her some jumped up peasant girl trying to lead them off on a wild goose chase? How well can she manage her temper? Charisma and good lucks won't override everything if she pisses them off in the heat of the moment, and even if she manages to repress herself that's taking energy away from devising a better story.
I think that she can do it in her Aria-esque way, without 'sucking it up' and other things that you associate with diplomacy. Remember that this is the mission they are interested in, and that Aria is supposedly the one who has the information they want. If someone starts giving her trouble, she'll tell them to fuck off and prompt more reasonable people - people who are not interested in losing soldiers because of someone else's stupid behavior - to take over.

Talking our way in does not specify the manner in which we do it. Fiery and harsh suits it just as well.

I don't think it's a good idea to rely on the squires to put the word forward that she beat them. It's one thing if she beats up two professional soldiers by herself (it's not so bad if folks that are supposed to be stronger than you were beaten by a Mystic Fighter, after all), it's another entirely if she appears as some peasant rube as she would in the other options. The squires would presumably not want to lose face by volunteering that fact to all of their professional contacts. Beyond that, we don't even know how seriously regarded they are.
I think the squires are minor nobles, so they would be regarded higher than regular soldiers at least. I also would not put much faith in 'professional soldiers', since in this hero-based setting it just means 'mooks that take slightly longer to kill'.

It is less about beating the squires, and more about helping them out and confirming that yes, Aria knows how to hold a sword. She saved Oliver, after all. Presumably, Eileen mentioned running into her in her report, because she intended to pick her up after calling in reinforcements.

It provides us a way to prove our worth as a fighter without actually fighting here, since we have demonstrated our abilities earlier... if that is the approach we are going for.

-------------

Anyway, I guess it's time for me to vote. I've been a pretty vocal advocate for D, so I guess I'll stick to it. What I like about it most is that it provides a bit of a diversion from her usual routines and her Erdrick worship. I want the kids to start having ideas of their own, and the quality I appreciate in Arlin most is that he disagrees with us while still trying to get the job done. There is nothing worse than to have our junior officers follow our orders blindly and unquestionably. We have golems for that. From our charges, I will require no less than thinking for themselves.

D is Aria's idea, and by her own admission not planned by her master. I hope it helps to broaden her horizons a little, because God knows the girl needs it.

Talking is not half bad (except for the whole 'it's what would make my Master happy!' part, but that I can live with), provided that Aria tries to sell that knowledge to the adventurers. Mercantilism is a positive thing, and it would be more believable when she tells this valuable piece of intel to get something in return. Like a share of profits if she joins them and shows them the way. She can't take advantage of that information by herself, after all - the castle guards are too strong. If she is linked to Trider and there is a queston why she doesn't tell her master - why, he'd take everything for himself and won't even increase her allowance, that asshole! :M

As for the second option... why, is it a choice between spending an evening with a beautiful girl and going to sleep? Hah, how come that is even a question!?

Oh. Right. :negative:

DA

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I suppose taking D (or any of the other choices, for that matter) will eventually lead Aria to talking about the "mysterious castle" in B anyway, because I believe that's her main objective for coming here. Otherwise, how is she supposed to spy the adventurers and report back to Erdrick then?

In any case, I suppose B's main problem is that the guards don't believe her because Enfeld interrupts her for one reason or another, or they simply don't listen to her anyway because they already consider her a "worthless peasant". Perhaps getting rid of him before doing anything else will be necessary. Nevertheless, using diplomacy will force her to improve a bit just like D, since I doubt Erdrick provided her with the exact words to convince the sentry guards.

Either way, I bet it is extremely likely to meet Oliver and company again, if only because it will instantly become a source of drama and awkward questions once the peasant boy notices him. Or the princeling, for that matter.

EDIT:

wonder why she has so many trust issues, though.

Well, isn't losing her adoptive father (and being aware of that fact) enough for you? She probably wonders about what happened with her real parents and why they "abandoned" her. Also, many of her rationalizations about Erdrick can be easily explained by her unhealthy crush. It's already mentioned several times, everything her master does must have a reason behind, because in her mind he's THE MAN and he can't do any wrong, no matter how far away from the truth that is. Also, everyone is forgetting that Rin's behavior isn't much better. Hopefully at least she doesn't mocks Aria for being a "puny human" during the time she was training her. Otherwise, that doesn't help at all to keep her mental health.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, so I guess I'll share a few thoughts about the update itself.
Memories of the man that she and Arlin had called father passed briefly through her mind
That's a very strange way to refer to your father if he is indeed your father. I think it is more evidence that they were adopted. I wonder how they ended up in the village and why no one thought twice about it, though.

This village… she did not like it much. Their kindness was given freely without recompense, unlike that of her master.
Hoo boy. Guess who didn't pay enough attention. While Erdrick is one egotistical son of a bitch, he can do things things for you just because he likes you. It's just the number of people he likes is severely limited, and mostly to pretty girls. :lol:

The only time her master would put on a stupid smile like that would be when he was going to put his mark off guard
I bet he also does it when talking to Rin... well, or he did, until he learned about his problem and lost sleep over it.

I wonder, though. Is her perception that Erdrick does not do anything thoughtlessly or without a hidden reason a product of our actions, or is it her natural tendency to seek a logical explanation even where there may not be one at work?

I recall her doing the same exact thing when we barely met.
“Why are we waiting here, sir?” asks Aria.

You turn, looking at her from under your hood. “Because there’s no need to go all the way. The prince will come meet us halfway, like any good partner should do.”

“Partner, huh?” Aria seems to be taking your words seriously, and begins to think about what your actions mean.
“So we are sending these to help the Prince run over to us?” Aria murmurs, trying to understand your plan. “Is that why we just need to wait here?”

“Maybe.” You do not commit to an answer.
We sat on a rock because we were lazy, and chose a spell on a whim, because we thought that one tool is just as good as another, and she attributed it to some sort of a Kunning Master Plan.

So maybe she already was predisposed to turn out that way. I wonder why she has so many trust issues, though. I think Erdrick himself would not be in any way inconvenienced by the village's goodwill. Hell, he'd probably bask in it! If they give it away freely - why not take it!

Well, isn't losing her adoptive father (and being aware of that fact) enough for you? She probably wonders about what happened with her real parents and why they "abandoned" her.
But Arlin is in the same position, and he doesn't seem to let it get to him. I know they aren't very much alike, but I think this is something that they would have in common, if only because there is someone to share your problems with.

I find her dismissal of the village kid strange. Didn't he save you (well, tried to) once? Do you think it could never happen again? It is kind of poisoning the well that quenched your thirst once.

And what about Arlin? He loves his sister unconditionally, doesn't he? Or does she try to attribute an ulterior motive to him, too, and has problems when he isn't profiting off his attachment?

I dunno, man. She is way colder than I imagined her to be. Maybe she is just 'going through a phase'.

Also, many of her rationalizations about Erdrick can be easily explained by her unhealthy crush. It's already mentioned several times, everything her master does must have a reason behind, because in her mind he's THE MAN and he can't do any wrong, no matter how far away from the truth that is.
I find it hard to believe the crush manifested itself on the very first day before we even curbstomped the Barzamites and established ourself as a bad MoFo.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I dunno, man. She is way colder than I imagined her to be. Maybe she is just 'going through a phase'.
That would make her the only teenager with a somewhat realistic behavior compared with the rest of the cast. :lol:
I find it hard to believe the crush manifested itself on the very first day before we even curbstomped the Barzamites and established ourself as a bad MoFo.

Well, the first time the twins saw us we saved them from an untasteful end by turning their attackers into stone (a magic so rare even the twins noticed that), Erd asked (perhaps jokingly) for payment for the statues, then he single-handely dealt with the Barzamites with little effort, then he kept doing that without magic, THEN he entered into his Super mode™ to fight possessed Rin and to top it off he teleported away from the twins. All of this was done in the span of a SINGLE day. No wonder he caused such a big impression. :)
Also, shortly after that he revealed himself to be an Angel, a living tale... But refused to harm the children. The bar kept going higher and higher after that. So, even if Aria was more mentally stable than she is, it was unavoidable what she knew about life so far would be blown away by Erdrick's presence and actions. In any case, hopefully we find out a way to prevent her from going full retard shortly after this chapter.

Nevill

Arcane
then he single-handely dealt with the Barzamites with little effort, then he kept doing that without magic, THEN he entered into his Super mode™ to fight possessed Rin and to top it off he teleported away from the twins. All of this was done in the span of a SINGLE day.
You know, when you tell it like that, we sound like a badass. +M

Which I guess makes this all the funnier:
“A… goblin?” Aria leaps in front of you, sword drawn. “Get back, Master!”

You put one hand on her head and push her back. “That is my goblin. Her name is Petze.”

Petze nods shyly and bows.

“Y-You have a pet goblin?” Aria’s eyes are shining for some reason, as if it was worthy of respect.
Killing dozens with and without magic is cool, turning into lightning is remarkable, but A PET GOBLIN!? OHMYGOSH-THIS-IS-SO-AWESOME-BEST-MASTER-EVAR!!! :lol:

I miss that Aria, enthusiastic and excitable.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, many of her rationalizations about Erdrick can be easily explained by her unhealthy crush. It's already mentioned several times, everything her master does must have a reason behind, because in her mind he's THE MAN and he can't do any wrong, no matter how far away from the truth that is.

Charisma B makes people ascribe hidden and complex motivations to your actions because a guy this magnetic can't be as dumb or insane as he appears to be.

I miss that Aria, enthusiastic and excitable.

She is still enthusiastic and excitable.

“Master!” Upon seeing you, Aria runs over. “We’re back!”

Arlin follows behind at a slower pace, a complex expression on his face. He appears to be pondering something.

You give Aria a pat on the shoulder. “How was it? Was it fun for the both of you?”

“Of course. I got to fight my fair share of bandits,” she grins, giving you a bloodthirsty smile that reminds you of the demon princess. Arlin remains silent.

Nevill

Arcane
She is still enthusiastic and excitable.
Yeah, that's why this shift to her perspective was such a surprise.

Her element is passion and flame, but here she sounds a bit too much cynical and jaded. Complete with "I can never trust anyone who doesn't ask for payment".
Viconia_Portrait_BG2.png
She started too early, we didn't even turn her brother into a drider yet! :rpgcodex:

Ah, maybe finding some people to shout at will cheer her up.

Charisma B makes people ascribe hidden and complex motivations to your actions because a guy this magnetic can't be as dumb or insane as he appears to be.
What's so dumb and insane about our actions? Just your normal archmage playing around in his sandbox. :M

Does no one in this kingdom know how to have fun anymore!? :argh:

Karwelas D A>D
lightbane B A
Kipeci A>D C>B
Gobblecock A>B x
archaen D>B A>B
Baltika9 B>A A
Azira A C>A
Kz3r0 D B
Esquilax B D
TOME D C
ScubaV A A
Storyfag B D
Grimgravy D>B C>A
Jester B C>B
Nevill D A
Random Word A C
Tigranes B>A B>A

A - 5 [p.7] (3) Kipeci, Gobblecock
B - 6 [p.9] (7)
D - 6 [p.7] (7)

OR

A - 5 [p.7]
B - 6 [p.9] (8)
D - 6 [p.7] (4) Grimgravy, archaen

A - 6 [p.9] (7)
B - 2 [p.4] (1) Tigranes
C - 6
D - 2 [p.3]
x - 1

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I know you are just joking (hopefully), but I honestly think that her handling of the slime affair was very good.

Our mission there was not to get dinner. It was to get the slimes. She just shown that she knows how to prioritize. Of course, that meant forgoing her Master's 'assignment' in favor of a greater goal... but isn't her fixation on Erdrick exactly the thing that you find creepy? How much worse it would be if she ignored our purpose there to comply with her Master's literal orders? :|

Erdrick chastising her was mostly because we are a dick. He still rewarded her with a personal training in the end.

We had her on a mission to help us with getting slimes and to get dinner, do you mind telling me how getting into a fight was intended to 'favor a greater goal'? A slime did show up at the end (probably drawn by the noise of the fight, true) and it did take advantage of the distraction to try to eat the one guy capable of getting their act together to try to immediately kill it. If you're trying to tell me that Aria's intention was to strategically ditch the dinner and fight the squires to draw out a slime as a part of a grand scheme to further our interests, I've got to say that I don't believe you at all. The slime coming by after she'd already escalated that conflict into a fight was pure dumb luck in my book, if there happened to not be a slime conveniently nearby then all we'd have out of it for Erd was a lost fish.

Once the slime showed up I'll agree that the situation was handled well enough, but you're portraying her as way more calculating before then than I think is warranted.

You have heard of multitools, yes? :)
Hide Spoiler
acecamp-2573-posate-pieghevoli--i80283083.jpg

I'd still rather use the knife attachment to cut a steak than the file, even if the file would eventually work. I agree that she'll make it work in B and get it together, I just think that it'll be harder to establish credibility so that they won't take her as seriously as they would in A. All the options we have are like little attachments, we ought to use the best one for the job. No doubt Erd would probably go with B, he's an established badass and it would look much worse for him to just pummel soldiers over nothing instead of talking himself in. Aria is not an infamous yet affable archmage, however, she's currently viewed as a peasant brat.

I think that she can do it in her Aria-esque way, without 'sucking it up' and other things that you associate with diplomacy. Remember that this is the mission they are interested in, and that Aria is supposedly the one who has the information they want. If someone starts giving her trouble, she'll tell them to fuck off and prompt more reasonable people - people who are not interested in losing soldiers because of someone else's stupid behavior - to take over.

Talking our way in does not specify the manner in which we do it. Fiery and harsh suits it just as well.

Why does anyone suspect that they're going to lose soldiers if they don't listen to her? They automatically mark her off as some bumpkin at the moment, as we've seen every time we run into these officials. Peasants don't run off into the hazardous monster-filled forest on a whim, only suicidal lunatics like adventurers do that kind of garbage. This is going to play out like the start of any movie where the teenager are trying to convince an unamused police officer that they've found some sort of horrible thing in the woods.

Aria yelling at people is just going to make people mentally upgrade her from 'pretty peasant girl' to 'asshole whining peasant', what we need to do is establish right off the bat that she's not in the peasant category so that they'll listen more carefully to her the first time.

I think the squires are minor nobles, so they would be regarded higher than regular soldiers at least. I also would not put much faith in 'professional soldiers', since in this hero-based setting it just means 'mooks that take slightly longer to kill'.

It is less about beating the squires, and more about helping them out and confirming that yes, Aria knows how to hold a sword. She saved Oliver, after all. Presumably, Eileen mentioned running into her in her report, because she intended to pick her up after calling in reinforcements.

It provides us a way to prove our worth as a fighter without actually fighting here, since we have demonstrated our abilities earlier... if that is the approach we are going for.

According to Erd, the soldiers in this setting are rather well-trained and equipped. Soldiers that have been ready have done rather well against many electric wolves; the squires had to struggle a bunch when it was all of them against one slime. I don't think you should discount the experienced soldiers quite so much; yes, they're not as good as the knights or the adventurers, but they still have a leg up on those who have not really fought or undergone super anime-style training.

What I'm saying is that it's easier to get the squires to admit that they were beaten if she beats two trained soldiers so that everyone can see it compared to that not happening. It's easier to admit a shared fault than one that only you bear, after all. If you were in the shoes of a noble-born squire, what advantage do you get if you admit to all of these potential combats that you, a born noble who has started training to be a valorous knight, was beaten in a fight by some nobody peasant? Even if you had to write that in an official report to your superior, would you like to just spread that around so that everyone knows and can gossip about it? It's embarrassing stuff. It's not so bad if you can say that you didn't lose to some filthy peasant, you lost to a Mystic Fighter who just trashed those two soldiers for calling her a peasant lovebird.

I mean, yes, I guess we could probably spend some time getting ignored as a peasant and then convince Eileen if present to vouch for us as an idiot who wanders around in forests that may know what they're talking about. They may then see fit to go along with seeing what the noise is about. I just don't see why we shouldn't cut right to the chase in the first place.

Nevill

Arcane
We had her on a mission to help us with getting slimes and to get dinner, do you mind telling me how getting into a fight was intended to 'favor a greater goal'?
The fish was contested by the leader of the rival group. So winning the fight - which Aria did - was necessary for the order completition. You did notice that the duel was over the fish, right?

Once the slime showed up, the whole affair was forgotten, which you somehow fault Aria for.

If you're trying to tell me that Aria's intention was to strategically ditch the dinner and fight the squires to draw out a slime as a part of a grand scheme to further our interests, I've got to say that I don't believe you at all.
I am saying that these events were unrelated, and that Aria would have succeded in one if the other, more important one, didn't come up.

Why does anyone suspect that they're going to lose soldiers if they don't listen to her? They automatically mark her off as some bumpkin at the moment, as we've seen every time we run into these officials.
Because they are currently on a mission that Alexander considers very dangerous. The nobles were doubting if the whole thing was worth it, plus a detachment of Barzamite soldiers got lost there recently - that suggests the ruins have a reputation.

Heading there is always a risk, and you would have to be a pretty dumb commander to dismiss a piece of intel just because you think your informant doesn't have blue blood in their veins. While you may expect such stupidity and arrogance from nobles, I think adventurers would be different.

This is going to play out like the start of any movie where the teenager are trying to convince an unamused police officer that they've found some sort of horrible thing in the woods.
Um, how about a teenager trying to explain to an amused fire crew who got summoned to the area that there is a fire nearby? They already know something is out there in the woods/ruins, that's why they were dispatched.

Aria yelling at people is just going to make people mentally upgrade her from 'pretty peasant girl' to 'asshole whining peasant', what we need to do is establish right off the bat that she's not in the peasant category so that they'll listen more carefully to her the first time.
I think you are too obsessed with proving how we aren't a peasant in the first place. I don't get it. This is not a court. Adventurers are the heart of this expedition, and those come from all walks of life.

According to Erd, the soldiers in this setting are rather well-trained and equipped. Soldiers that have been ready have done rather well against many electric wolves
No, they died in droves as they couldn't harm them with weapons. Only mage support helped drive the wolves back. :M

the squires had to struggle a bunch when it was all of them against one slime.
No, the squires were struggling because they couldn't harm them with weapons. Once they got their mage back, they were alright. :M

I bet that by now Aria could wipe the floor with either, though.

If you were in the shoes of a noble-born squire, what advantage do you get if you admit to all of these potential combats that you, a born noble who has started training to be a valorous knight, was beaten in a fight by some nobody peasant?
Like I said before, this is not about besting the squires. This is about Aria being a competent enough fighter to save one of their number, and survive after they withdrew. Both statements are true and don't hurt anyone's FEELZ (as opposed to us beating Eileen, which is what you are trying to sell) while supporting our claims of being good with a sword.

I mean, yes, I guess we could probably spend some time getting ignored as a peasant and then convince Eileen if present to vouch for us as an idiot who wanders around in forests that may know what they're talking about. They may then see fit to go along with seeing what the noise is about. I just don't see why we shouldn't cut right to the chase in the first place.
What a bunch of loaded assumptions. But if you want to find out why it may be beneficial - for one, with a recommendation from the squires we can attract the attention of the people we want, instead of the entire camp, and start the relationship on a more positive note than if we barge in as a troublemaker. For two, we can ditch this approach if a more appealing option comes along.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I have a theory about why Aria is so obsessed about getting stronger: to start, IIRC her adoptive village has been attacked by roaming bands of bandits multiple times in the past. Perhaps the twins were already here shortly before there were these. Needless to say, neither the villagers nor the twins were able to do much during these assaults, strengthening her resentment and desire to be strong enough to never be beaten into submission by anyone else ever again. That wish became much stronger once the latest bandit attackers (aka, the undercover Barzamite soldiers) killed her adoptive father and threatened to take her life and her brother's.

Then there's the fact that whatever happened with their biological parents, it was not pretty if it caused her to be so distrustful of other people. Finally, when Erdrick appears and shows off his immense power, he unknowingly became her "prince Charming" that fulfilled all of her fantasies.
Only time will tell if it will get better or worse.

For now, B's advantage is that Aria may be directly brought to the princeling once the guards have enough of her insistence and wish to have her shut up. At worst... Nevermind. Fucking last-minute flops. :decline:

If D wins, I guess the soldiers will let us pass with little issue, but then once we drop the food we'll have to look around to see if we can find someone who can positively vouch for us (such as Oliver).

Nevill

Arcane
I have a theory about why Aria is so obsessed about getting stronger: to start, IIRC her adoptive village has been attacked by roaming bands of bandits multiple times in the past.
At first, I thought that it was the Barzamite attack and a near-death experience that caused Aria's power hunger, but now I see it that she disliked the village for a while already, despising them for what she perceived as their weakness.

But hey, the chief said they have suffered 6 bandit raids in the last year only:
We have suffered six bandit raids over the previous year, and the last has been the worst of it all.
I understand why a kid would be pissed off when they are working their ass off from dawn till dusk and someone else takes their harvest and their money by the right of the strong while none of the adults do anything about it. Losing almost everything she had was just the last straw.

Still I find it a bit strange that this caused strong resentment only in Aria. Maybe it's just her temperament, or maybe there is some backstory there.

I am definitely interested in where the kids come from. Their parents could still be alive. Hell, given how the story was going so far, we may yet run into their mother. :)

Kipeci

Arcane
The fish was contested by the leader of the rival group. So winning the fight - which Aria did - was necessary for the order completition. You did notice that the duel was over the fish, right?

Once the slime showed up, the whole affair was forgotten, which you somehow fault Aria for.

I am saying that these events were unrelated, and that Aria would have succeded in one if the other, more important one, didn't come up.

Read it again; the last mention of a fish as a physical thing and not an object of rhetoric is when Aria let go of its head right at the start of the fight. Eileen come down with it into the water, and I suspect that it was lost then given her total surprise at Aria's move and the fact that the (huge, slippery) fish was still wriggling and very much not wanting to be there. It's right at the start of the duel in the Slime Assault update that you see Eileen using both her shield and her sword, which would seem to require her to be using two hands. Halfway into the duel when Eileen uses her magic, there's an explicit confirmation that she's holding her shield with both hands. If she's not holding onto the fish with a hand, then it's in the river as they hadn't left it. Given the tendency for objects dropped in rivers to go elsewhere... particularly ones that are alive, capable of swimming and heavily desiring to get away from predators... I would think that the fish has departed the premises quite a while before the duel is over.

So, while the duel may be over the right of the fish, the fish itself is gone. There was no profit to gain for the mission in pursuing that duel from the moment the fish vanished, but Aria didn't realize/care because in the heat of the moment with her temper putting the haughty squire down a peg was the priority. That's what I was saying could be a problem.

Another way to look at it is that her unnecessary aggression got her extra XP good enough for very many levels, which I would rank as better a gain than a fish especially since Erd doesn't actually need to eat. Certainly, the results that were gained in her sideshow were better than if she'd kept her mission in mind and did strictly what she was supposed to do. But it may not always be the case that her temper getting the best of her and distracting from her mission will lead to the best results.

Then again, I guess that saying that's not helping my case for this particular vote, is it?

Because they are currently on a mission that Alexander considers very dangerous. The nobles were doubting if the whole thing was worth it, plus a detachment of Barzamite soldiers got lost there recently - that suggests the ruins have a reputation.

Heading there is always a risk, and you would have to be a pretty dumb commander to dismiss a piece of intel just because you think your informant doesn't have blue blood in their veins. While you may expect such stupidity and arrogance from nobles, I think adventurers would be different.
I think you are too obsessed with proving how we aren't a peasant in the first place. I don't get it. This is not a court. Adventurers are the heart of this expedition, and those come from all walks of life.

And who is in charge of this operation, nobles or adventurers? Yes, I think she will be able to convince adventurers to hear her out and go into the dangerous woods for the chance of gold and glory, even if it comes from a peasant girl who more likely had some sort of nightmare or dream because no sane peasant girl would wander off into the wilderness that swallowed up a detachment of Barzamite soldiers. Her charisma and support from the village that translates to them probably backing up her shady story will almost certainly ensure that.

What I'm saying is that how she is presented will influence how likely the nobles are to take her at her word. I expect stupidity and arrogance on their part-- they're nobles, after all, not exactly a meritocracy-- and to play into that, the messenger counts as well as the message. Adventurer > Peasant, even if the adventurer is an asshole. If I want the maximum response, I want to bring the nobles on board as well as adventurers, not just the most desperate adventurers. I want as many adventurers coming to our stupid fake castle as possible.

Peasants are expected to tend the land, shut up, and just try to survive. They don't generally look for trouble, though trouble may often find them.

Adventurers are semi-suicidal lunatics that dive head-first into dangerous, uncharted territory to grow stronger and find fantastic loot.

Which of these groups are you more likely to believe when they say that they went into the Forest of Ruin and found a scary-looking castle? More credibility is more response.
No, they died in droves as they couldn't harm them with weapons. Only mage support helped drive the wolves back. :M

No, the squires were struggling because they couldn't harm them with weapons. Once they got their mage back, they were alright. :M

I bet that by now Aria could wipe the floor with either, though.

Okay, I deserved that. My point is, the expansion of the 'beaten by Aria' club makes it easier to admit being bested. Being destroyed by Xu Jing in a fight would mean different things reputation-wise for a competent member of the Jianghu at the start of his career and by the time he'd become a legend.

Like I said before, this is not about besting the squires. This is about Aria being a competent enough fighter to save one of their number, and survive after they withdrew. Both statements are true and don't hurt anyone's FEELZ (as opposed to us beating Eileen, which is what you are trying to sell) while supporting our claims of being good with a sword.

I'll take that, sounds reasonable. My emphasis is still on getting as many people to listen to us as fast as possible to head out to the ruins, so I think that taking the time to seek them out and convince them on bumping up our rep so that more people will listen to us is wasting time. But I hadn't thought of this, and this is perfectly valid.

What a bunch of loaded assumptions. But if you want to find out why it may be beneficial - for one, with a recomendation from the squires we can attract the attention of the people we want, instead of the entire camp, and start the relationship on a more positive note than if we barge in as a troublemaker. For two, we can ditch this approach if a more appealing option comes along.

I think this is a matter of our philosophies again. I want as many people into the meatgrinder as fast as possible so that they can be chewed up for XP and spat out for slimefood. I don't care if Aria is considered to be a wrathful jerk (I think they're liable to find this out even with her on her best behavior) since as far as I'm concerned they're dead to us.

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
AC

Reach heaven through violence, and arts & crafts. When winter comes, you'll be glad you learned how to make ice golems. Everyone knows they're higher level than clay golems, and free elemental resistances.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm planning to update in the next 12 hours. I'll check back to see if the tie is broken in about 6.

Nevill

Arcane
If there is still a tie by the time you come back, consider me flopping to ice crafting. Otherwise my thoughts are firmly with Rin. :salute:

Where is Lambchop when you need him... *mumble*

Tigranes

Arcane
BB > AA.

Nobody cares for the gobbos? We haven't talked to them in a while.

Eh, I could go for 1A or 1B, but ultimately having our two inconspiicuous children be good at more subtle strategies will be useful until we're a big evil empire.

lightbane

Arcane
I can't believe people would prefer to waste time sculpting silly ice statues, when we could use these hours to embarrass Rin in front of the gobbos/ get to know her more "personally". I know Erd is having impotence problems, but you guys aren't helping. :decline:

What about making ice sculptures with her assistance as a compromise?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom