Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ruinous Powers (40K CYOA)

Cheesecake

Savant
Wait a second, when and how did the scribe snuck inside? :)

Wasn't his head blown off, too?

The scribe laughs, chilling echoes following from his voice. You soon realize that his lips don't exactly match the timing of his words. "I told you, the gods weren't done with me."

When asked about why convert random people, the sorcerer said: "I needed more champions to further my cause". What cause is that?

"Immortality, dear Lena. Each and everyone of you is my 'anchor' to life, apart from the tech-head, and as long as you live, I live. You honestly gave me quite a shock when you had the Captain killed. I'll have to replace him...."

The thought that your existence is to serve his is disconcerting, to say the least. He seems to have noticed. "Chin up! That just means I have a reason to keep you all safe and sound."

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"You honestly gave me quite a shock when you had the Captain killed. I'll have to replace him...."
Does it have to be one of each god's follower?

Just saying, his anchors would probably last longer if they aren't Khornites. :M

Cheesecake

Savant
"Not necessarily. Though I do like to have one of each, if only to be fair to all four gods. And, I admit, it's quiet without the old goat's bleating...."

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So Entek is a rogue agent, not affiliated with the chaos gods, but with us out of convenience. His god is "Knowledge".

Pft, yeah. As if. Tzeentch is playing him like a fiddle.

lightbane

Arcane
Entek confirmed as a Chaos Undivided agent, whether he's aware of it or not. I guess he'll start to suspect something is amiss once the tentacles start to pile up. :M

I wonder if it would be possible to convince the Sorcerer to teach us how to channel magic. In Black Crusade, Slaanesh's spells were quite cool.

oscar

Arcane
B will grant us new recruits but being feral they'll likely require some brushing up. C could get us some more experienced hands at slightly higher difficulty/cost. All options are interesting but I suppose B where we can gain some pliant acolytes with a simple show of force and sorcery.

Inf0mercial

Augur
C Your all thinking Genestealers, i will laugh if we rock up loaded out for Genestealers and run into a million orks who just figured out how to activate the warp engines at will.

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
D

Entek is best Tek. Iron Warriors are awesome. Keep giving him more parts and he'll love us forever.

Cheesecake

Savant
A: ERYKFRAD, Esquilax, Storyfag, Major_Blackhart, 4
B: Baltika9, lightbane, oscar, 3
C: Nevill, Endemic, Commisar Draco, Inf0mercial, 4
D: Azira, Random Word, 2
E: Kipeci, 1
F:

A (1-3), C(4-6): 2

Winning choice: A
Name: Lena Cythriel

Gifts:
Daemoniac Tongue
Tough Skin
Perfection

Favor:
Khorne - Reviled
Nurgle - Favored
Tzeentch - Uncaring
Slaanesh - Favored

Known Characters:
The Captain - Dead
Detox, apothecary - Beloved
Hooker, sergeant - Grateful
Entek, tech-priest - Indifferent
Tempestus, chaplain - Dead?
Sorcerer - Intrigued

Items:
Artificer Armored Bodyglove
Laspistol

Currently in the void.

An hour is spent in deliberation, and you come up with a tie between Sicarius Prime and Bounty Rock. You let the sorcerer's divinations be the arbitrator, and the course is set for Sicarius Prime. The sorcerer begins the appalling rituals of warding the transport vessel against the tempestuous Warp, spraying the walls with his blood and spewing evil words into the air. Holo-displays momentarily flickered with images of impossible things, and Machine Spirits rage against the desecration of the ship.

"I didn't think this transport vessel was Warp-capable," you muse.

The scribe shrugs. "It isn't."

All chronometers abruptly stop. The ship lurches, and the metal yawns in agony as it is thrust into the Immaterium. The laughter of spiteful ghosts fill the air, a cacophonous choir of the lost and the damned. Terrible truths are whispered in your ears. All viewports are mercifully shut closed, but if they were opened, you would undoubtedly gaze into the maelstrom of hateful unreality. And it would gaze right back.

"A bit of warning would be nice," you say irritably. You ignore the scribe's leering face and check the rest of your crew.

Hooker is deep in meditation, sweating nervously. Some don't handle Warp translation as well as others. Detox doesn't seem to mind at all, and hums and laughs as he speaks with inaudible voices. Entek is busy soothing the machine spirits, lighting incense and singing hymns in binary. The sorcerer is busy, deep in concentration, divining the fastest and safest course to Sicarius Prime. He inputs trajectory equations and reconfigures flight patterns, all the while speaking in daemonic tongues.

---

Days had passed since your translation into the Warp. You barely managed to get any sleep, though that was nothing new. Sleeping in Warp travel was a surefire way to get night terrors, and keeping yourself up with near-lethal doses of caffeine was a better alternative to those nightmares. The Warp travel itself was fairly unmemorable, and for that you're grateful. The translation into realspace was a difficult one, akin to a violent birth. The transport vessel barely managed to hold together as gravity and psychic energy fought for dominance around it.

"Sicarius Prime, coming up, ma'am," says Hooker, reading the hololithic displays.

Roughly Terran in standards, astrologically, though lit with fumes and flames as civil war raged on its crust, Sicarius Prime was a burning ball of war. Intercepted Astropathic communications and vox-cast orders show that the Imperial Guard have a presence on the ground. A small one, to be sure, but a Guard presence nonetheless. The only Imperial Navy you've detected is a cruiser that presumably carried the Guard regiment.

From what you've heard, Sicarius Prime's government was torn in half, a schism that plunged the entire planet to war with itself. The Guard were deployed a decade after, though from your experience they're only there to wait out the worst of it, then purge the winner while they were still weak. Considering how mobile they Guard have been, according to the stolen information, they're beginning to strike.

Preferable landing zones are marked on the hololithic map by Entek. You decide to land:

A. North Point. A hundred or so kilometers from the Imperial Guard's outpost, and a relatively safe position. With Entek and the Sorcerer, you've got a good chance to shroud yourselves from detection.

B. Old Reef. An abandoned base built on bottom of a dried ocean. While secluded, it is quite far from any worthy target.

C. The Sicarian Forests. The only forest unaltered by the decades-long war. It is soon to be a hotspot for fighting, and hosts tribes of mutants that were exiled from society.

D. Hope's Ruin. The former capital of Sicarius Prime, now a sepulcher for the innocent. A fierce warzone to this day, it is said to harbor the hidden bases of the renegades.

E. Leave and head to one of the other destinations.

F. Something else.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
D - We're Slaaneshi first and foremost. Let's find some hedonistic nobles to subvert.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
F. If possible:
  • Have Detox and Hooker land in the Sicarian Forests, establish contact with the Muties and recruit and train what forces they can.
  • Send Entek and the Sorceror to North Point for preemptive sabotage
  • Head to D ourselves and win rebel scum over to your side.

We'll do Chaos some good by screwing up everything everywhere.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
F. If possible:
  • Have Detox and Hooker land in the Sicarian Forests, establish contact with the Muties and recruit and train what forces they can.
Yeah I like this. It suits the strengths of each character. The only issue is how are we going to do this with just our transport craft? Drop each character off and then land the ship ourselves at D? That will be hard for the insertion at North Point, as once we've dropped Entek and the Sorcerer off we won't have them masking our ascent.

Unless we stay very low and close to the land so we're unlikely to be detected by radar.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once Hooker, Detox and Lena are dropped off, we can let Entek and Sorcyboy take the craft to North Point, I guess. Unless drop pods are a thing.

Baltika9

Arcane
F. If possible:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
F. If possible:

^

lightbane

Arcane
F. If possible:

^
Sounds good. Switching my vote to this.

Esquilax

Arcane
It's a clever plan, but we should be cautious about splitting the party, as it can backfire on us spectacularly. Cheesecake, assuming you are okay with ERYFKRAD's plan, how would we maintain communication between the various teams? Performing multiple sabotage/corruption operations at once is difficult to coordinate, and if one of us is sniffed out, then we are all fucked. It's sort of the nature of the beast, however - a plan with a bunch of moving parts like this requires everybody to be perfect.

I withhold my vote for now, but I definitely am intrigued by the idea.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
It's a clever plan, but we should be cautious about splitting the party, as it can backfire on us spectacularly. Cheesecake, assuming you are okay with ERYFKRAD's plan, how would we maintain communication between the various teams? Performing multiple sabotage/corruption operations at once is difficult to coordinate, and if one of us is sniffed out, then we are all fucked. It's sort of the nature of the beast, however - a plan with a bunch of moving parts like this requires everybody to be perfect.

I withhold my vote for now, but I definitely am intrigued by the idea.

Far as I can see the only really challenging part would be the sabotage at North Point.
And way it's set up, I guess once we establish some sort of time frame for the respective objectives each part will take care of itself.
End objective could be as The Brazilian Slaughter says, get a hold of that Imperial Cruiser, while there's enough shit happening that no one notices.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Unless we're the villains, and it's not like any of them are lightweights, they should be able to hold if things go tits up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom