Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2015 Poll - All citizens take part

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I haven't played Underrail nor AoD

Why are you even here then? :M

I've played the meme trilogy, and the other top-tier favorites (except for KOTOR 2, still need to do that). That puts me on a higher RPG plane than like 60% of the posters here.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You can't blame for deleting the votes that keep spamming 1 on Undertale... trolling won't be accepted.
I approve of this style of government - freedom of expression, unless someone is an ass. Then the strong hand comes and beats some common sense into things. :lol:

Dev_Anj

Learned
LdRRsFs.jpg

:|

Ctrl+F ing the page returns no GMDX.

Seriously, you put Revision on a list full of actual games, and then no GMDX? What a travesty.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I don't know why we can't just gather the votes in threads. The argument of "alts and trolls a re 2 stronk when tehre is less votes!!" is stupid. As long as any admin/mod cares enough about the poll, they can quickly determine if someone is using a bunch of alts to stuff the ballot. Additionally, you can set a post/join date requirement for a post to be counted.

I've ran surveys with google forms before, and I know very well how easy it would be for someone autistic enough with a enough spare time on their hands to influence the poll. You can try to detect patterns, but an intelligent person will mix up their entries enough that you won't recognize it. Having someone randomly delete votes without showing the votes they're deleting publicly is pretty suspicious. (Also, I know just how easy it is to delete answers and add your own when you've made a google form)

Google forms doesn't show IP, or gmail account (unless you require a gmail account to participate), or any other identifier. At least with forum accounts you know very clearly who is voting what.

ALSO, the fuck kind of system are you going with here with the 1-5 voting? Are you going to actually rank the games by their average? An unpopular game that a few people vote 5 on and other people don't touch will beat out pretty much any game popular enough to get some negative votes.

Time to restart and go back to the drawing board. Do a classic thread, implement some basic requirements "Account must be six months old, and have 500 posts in gaming subforums" sort of thing, and just go with a classic tally. It's true that Undertale wouldn't win under those conditions, thus literal suicides wouldn't occur, but at least the we'd have a real consensus of what RPGs were liked the most here.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
and have 500 posts in gaming subforums
fascist

That's just an example criteria. There are people here who literally do not play video games, and just want to talk about politics or whatever. We get much less of them now that GD requires an account to be six months old or a donation, but people like Sub (though she isn't quite so active anymore) have admitted that they've never played a cRPG before. Of course, there's a good chance that those people wouldn't vote in the poll at all, but requiring them to have actually discussed video games in order to vote would lower the potential for Felipe's troll boogeyman.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
ALSO, the fuck kind of system are you going with here with the 1-5 voting? Are you going to actually rank the games by their average? An unpopular game that a few people vote 5 on and other people don't touch will beat out pretty much any game popular enough to get some negative votes.
Oh boy... I've said like 200 times I'm doing this by Bayesian average, EXACTLY LIKE LAST YEAR.

And besides the trolls and edgy posters, handling votes by thread is a pain as you need to manually input all the +300 votes into excel. Before you say "just do a script or whatever", take a good look at toro's Alternative Poll and realize that people aren't following his guidelines and a script will miss many of the votes or get confused with all the talking and quoting going on. So yeah, by hand.

Seriously, you put Revision on a list full of actual games, and then no GMDX? What a travesty.
Revision was listed on Steam by the devs, so I thought to include it to see how things go. Also, GMDX came out in 2013 - what was released in 2015 was a new version, v8.0.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Oh boy... I've said like 200 times I'm doing this by Bayesian average, EXACTLY LIKE LAST YEAR.

And besides the trolls and edgy posters, handling votes by thread is a pain as you need to manually input all the +300 votes into excel. Before you say "just do a script or whatever", take a good look at toro's Alternative Poll and realize that people aren't following his guidelines and a script will miss many of the votes or get confused with all the talking and quoting going on. So yeah, by hand.

Revision was listed on Steam by the devs, so I thought to include it to see how things go. Also, GMDX came out in 2013 - what was released in 2015 was a new version, v8.0.

Bayesian average introduces another set of problems. Last year's poll had all of the same problems I just listed with google forms.

You want da sweet, sweet fists, then gotta tally up those fists. I'm sure that someone else would do it if asked.

(I've actually tallied up metric shittons of poll results like that for Marketing Research, and 300 votes would take like 1 - 2 hour max)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I did the best with the tools & time I had / was willing to spend. Google polls delivers everything to me in a clean excel sheet, I just have to paste my formulas from last year. In 2013 I tried making a vote via thread, but it's a pain to collect all the data and there are trolls fucking shit up regardless. Just look at toro's alternative poll. He won't admit it, but he'll likely have to input the data of +100 votes by hand, because people aren't following his guidelines.

Besides, the retard who made a shitty and easily-detectable script aside, I think my poll is going very well. The results have been consistent since the start and represent what you see going around the forums.
Give me a list of all the games under each category.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Give me a list of all the games under each category.
Here you go:
REMASTERS/PORTS/TRANSLATIONS:
Agarest: Generations of War 2
AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed
Avernum II: Crystal Souls
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Dead State: Reanimated
Deus Ex: Revision
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon
Dungeon Lords Steam Edition
Fairy Fencer F
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns
Grandia II Anniversary Edition
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
How To Survive: Third Person Standalone
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth series
Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky SC
Mugen Souls
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition
State of Decay: YOSE Day One Edition
Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Final Cut
The Quest
Toukiden: Kiwami
Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Way of the Samurai 4
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

TACTICOOL:
Armello
Blackguards 2
Breach & Clear: Deadline
Chaos Reborn
Chroma Squad
Conquest of Elysium 4
Fallen: A2P Protocol
Hard West
Invisible, Inc.
Legends of Eisenwald
Might & Magic Heroes VII
Mordheim: City of the Damned
Renowned Explorers: International Society
Satellite Reign
Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown
Sorcerer King
Telepath Tactics
Templar Battleforce
The Red Solstice
Warhammer Quest

GOTY:
Age of Decadence
Age of Fear 2: The Chaos Lord
AntharioN
Blood & Gold: Caribbean!
BloodLust Shadowhunter
Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge
Celestian Tales: Old North
Citizens of Earth
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Dex
Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN!
Dragon Fin Soup
Dragon Quest Heroes
Epic Quest of the 4 Crystals
Evoland II
Fairytales: Three Heroes
Fallout 4
Forge Quest
Guild of Dungeoneering
Hand of Fate
Hero of the Kingdom II
ICY
In Verbis Virtus
Knights of Pen and Paper 2
Kyn
Last Word
Life is Feudal: Your Own
MetaHuman Inc.
Nuclear Throne
OH! RPG!
Oertolas: Legends of the Lost King
Overture
Pillars of Eternity
Rampage Knights
Reverse Crawl
Runestone Keeper
Ruzar - The Life Stone
Serpent in the Staglands
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
SKYHILL
Sunless Sea
Sword Coast Legends
Tales of Zestiria
The Amber Throne
The Deed
The Dwarf Run
The Fall of Dungeon Guardians
The Swindle
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Thea: The Awakening
Underrail
Undertale
Victor Vran
VoidExpanse
Voidspire Tactics
Wave of Darkness
Windward

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
All right, everybody vote: http://rpgcodex.net/goty_vote.php

Formatting could be better and it's not really optimised but it works.

I'll make available csv downloads of the data which will include:

Game, Username, Vote, User Registration Date, User Post Count​

So you can slice and dice it based on old fags vs new, spammers vs lurkers.

Aenra

Citizen reported for duty.

Many thanks to the administration™ for remembering to look inside (rather than complain). We can now hope for a simple and fair 'best rates first' :)

edit: would banning e-ve-ry-one (<3 Garry Oldman) that rated F4 above 1 be too much to ask?

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Ludo Lense, we have a new contender!
aO9nso.gif

You vastly underestimate my desire to put effort into that silly spur of the moment thread. (Now I have to think of a backstory and stuff...)

At any rate, I salute DU's effort to bring order to chaos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom