Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does exist a fantasy game X-com style?

Mazisky

Magister
I mean, with strategic part and tactical battles. Possibly modern (past 2012)

Mazisky

Magister
Mordheim unfortunately is not isometric.....Battle Bros seems really nice on strategic part but i don't like the visuals (no animations, etc) on the tactical side.
But it's fair considering the budget

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean, with strategic part and tactical battles. Possibly modern (past 2012)
You should try Massive Chalice. Not something amazing but it is certainly XCOM like and it has a couple of interesting mechanics. I enjoyed playing two campaigns of it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Fantasy X-Com sounds like Final Fantasy Tactics.

As for balancing "tactical" and "strategic", perhaps Sengoku Rance?

Mazisky

Magister
So, excluding non pc games or old games we only got Battle Brothers but it's still in development.

This means that actually it doesn't exist anything in market :-(

Edit: Forgot Massive Chalice suggested by Jimmious, but onestly i really dislike the art direction and visuals

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Or you know there's Darkest Dungeon. It can provide a solid 1337 hours of entertainment before it gets old apparently :smug:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So, excluding non pc games or old games we only got Battle Brothers but it's still in development.

This means that actually it doesn't exist anything in market :-(

Edit: Forgot Massive Chalice suggested by Jimmious, but onestly i really dislike the art direction and visuals
There isn't really anything unfortunately. The 1997 Birthright game wasn't anything like X-Com either, as nice as it was. Battle Brothers has no strategic overlay - at least yet. The squad level tactics games are deeply vested in WW2 and later periods and only few of them combine that with a strategic layer (UFO:ET, TFTD, JA1, JA2).

Mazisky

Magister
I've found a interesting game (it seems), Age of wonders 3, someone knows if it's worth trying?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Certainly is, but it's more of a Civ&HOMM mix rather than anything XCOM-like

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Can't recall anything that even comes close to a xcom-style game in a fantasy setting. You do have a weeaboo xcom-style game in a fantasy WW2 setting called Valkyria Chronicles. though. Personally I got burned out quickly on the Jap faggotry. Missions and combat was decent however. Perhaps it's your thing.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What. Valkyria Chronicles is one of those overrated games on the codex. It has a really bad system that awards rushing over anything, no strategy involved. Art etc. is a matter of taste, but gameplay is objectively bad and is miles behind a good strategy game. I'm still amazed it got so high praise around here.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I've found a interesting game (it seems), Age of wonders 3, someone knows if it's worth trying?
Yeah, it is, just get it with both expansions. It's nothing like XCOM though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom