Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Ninjerk

Arcane

Alchemist

Arcane
Quick question for the Codex Game Dev hivemind (I'm not sure it warrants a separate thread)....

I'm deciding on what core screen resolution my game will be designed for. Ultimately, it will be adjustable for many sizes - but when designing it helps me to have a baseline in mind.
The Steam Hardware Survey seems to point to 1920 x 1080 as the most used size, followed by the presumably laptop / tablet dominant 1366 x 768 rez.

So, what do you think I should aim for as a baseline? I'm leaning toward 1920 x 1080 but I wonder if I should consider the lower dominant resolution (1366 x 768). I have a feeling that is going to phase out eventually, as more laptops get higher resolution screens. By the way, my game will be meant for PCs first and foremost, and not for tablets.

Castanova

Prophet
Quick question for the Codex Game Dev hivemind (I'm not sure it warrants a separate thread)....

I'm deciding on what core screen resolution my game will be designed for. Ultimately, it will be adjustable for many sizes - but when designing it helps me to have a baseline in mind.
The Steam Hardware Survey seems to point to 1920 x 1080 as the most used size, followed by the presumably laptop / tablet dominant 1366 x 768 rez.

So, what do you think I should aim for as a baseline? I'm leaning toward 1920 x 1080 but I wonder if I should consider the lower dominant resolution (1366 x 768). I have a feeling that is going to phase out eventually, as more laptops get higher resolution screens. By the way, my game will be meant for PCs first and foremost, and not for tablets.

Don't think about it in terms of resolution, think about it in terms of aspect ratio. You've got 16:10, 16:9, and 4:3 as the main ones. You need to figure out how to address all three of them appropriately. I think most people design for 16:9 since it's kind of a middle ground.

GPUs can scale bitmaps easily and effectively as long as it's something like a 150% scaling or maybe 125% (or vice versa for scaling down). It's up to you to decide how to do it, I don't think there's a best practice. Many AAA games design the GUI for the lowest resolution, use relative positioning, and on higher resolutions the GUI is just smaller. If the resolution is big enough you can do a clean 150% upscaling on the bitmaps.

You could also have very high quality bitmaps and scale them down for lower resolutions but I think that's costlier in terms of performance/memory and maybe even paying artists.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I want to make a 90s type isometric WRPG.

2qk3ukx.jpg

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
More assets.
moreAssets.jpg

The project also has a name. not sure if I mentioned that earlier. It is now called: TaleSpire

Work in progress logo. Still needs a lot of work though.

(This is just a sketch)

workInProgress2.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jonny Ree when you have an official announcement for that game/website/steam page please let us know (via the Contact Us button at the top). Your game looks fantastic, and the exact kind of game I really want to play. :salute:

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Jonny Ree when you have an official announcement for that game/website/steam page please let us know (via the Contact Us button at the top). Your game looks fantastic, and the exact kind of game I really want to play. :salute:

Thank you very much Jaesun! Much appreciated. I will be sure to do that :D

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Update on my ghost ship project (aka 'small' project). No screenshots/graphics for now, but I'm getting pretty active over here.

Current plans:
  • I'm planning to have a playable demo as soon as possible, the current deadline is ~3 months due to the upcoming game development meeting in my town, and I want to show the local 'hardcore' crowd that they're a bunch of fucking cunts;
  • I'll start a thread as soon as there is a demo/alpha/prototype/whatever. If I'll proceed at the current pace, I guess it's safe to assume that it'll be done within a month and a half, or even less, but who knows what kind of Grimoirean micro-issues may pop out in the future;
  • The demo is not going to feature any graphics, so the environment is going to look closer to early Wiz games (but with cubes and other primitives to represent enemies and shit).
Current state of the project:
  • Movement code is done, but I'm yet to implement proper slopes and 'ramming', plus I need to tweak the movement speed to make sure it's appropriate and doesn't take too long;
  • Combat is currently nonexistent (but some of the fundamentals are already set), so is enemy AI and UI stuff, but these are the next steps to do after I'm done with the basics;
  • Character system and inventory/items are almost done, will be finalized for the demo in a matter of days, then I'll move on to enemy AI and combat.

I'll give more information about the game once I'm ready to reveal stuff, because oh god, I am tired of posting details of my projects then giving up on them.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Update on my ghost ship project (aka 'small' project). No screenshots/graphics for now, but I'm getting pretty active over here.

Current plans:
  • I'm planning to have a playable demo as soon as possible, the current deadline is ~3 months due to the upcoming game development meeting in my town, and I want to show the local 'hardcore' crowd that they're a bunch of fucking cunts;
  • I'll start a thread as soon as there is a demo/alpha/prototype/whatever. If I'll proceed at the current pace, I guess it's safe to assume that it'll be done within a month and a half, or even less, but who knows what kind of Grimoirean micro-issues may pop out in the future;
  • The demo is not going to feature any graphics, so the environment is going to look closer to early Wiz games (but with cubes and other primitives to represent enemies and shit).
  • Movement code is done, but I'm yet to implement proper slopes and 'ramming', plus I need to tweak the movement speed to make sure it's appropriate and doesn't take too long;
  • Combat is currently nonexistent (but some of the fundamentals are already set), so is enemy AI and UI stuff, but these are the next steps to do after I'm done with the basics;
  • Character system and inventory/items are almost done, will be finalized for the demo in a matter of days, then I'll move on to enemy AI and combat.

I'll give more information about the game once I'm ready to reveal stuff, because oh god, I am tired of posting details of my projects then giving up on them.
Trapped on a ghost ship and moving up from the bottom, or...? I haven't really kept up with you.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Current plans:

Trapped on a ghost ship and moving up from the bottom, or...? I haven't really kept up with you.
I didn't talk about the project much, but I'll give you a few additional details:
You're not 'trapped'. According to the plot, you're receiving a distress signal from the ship that disappeared years ago. As a patrolman, you must extract the valuable information about the reasons behind its disappearance (and their discoveries). So you must explore the ship while fighting against marauders who're already wrecking havok in search for valuables and also against security systems (various security bots), and then abandon the ship to deliver that information to your superiors.
Of course, you can leave at any time by just turning back and going home, but it'll be against the code dictated by your superiors, and therefore you'll fail the game.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Oh, haha. I envisioned waking up or something in the belly of a seafaring old ghost ship (think Chrono Cross) and you have to make your way up.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Oh, haha. I envisioned waking up or something in the belly of a seafaring old ghost ship (think Chrono Cross) and you have to make your way up.
I should've added that it's a 'ghost space ship'. All mechanics and systems are built with the futuristic setting in mind.
But your vision sounds pretty neat, I don't think there are many games set in the underwater/ghost ship setting. Never gave Chrono Cross a proper try, though.
I should probably take notes for a potential sequel, heh heh.

Calcium

Educated
9WdPjXo.png

Today in gamedev I made my first start menu. I know it's too wide and the wood borders are uninteresting but any other criticism would be appreciated.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main menu is the least important thing. Focus on making the meat of the game, you can always put it on early access or something and use that money to pay someone to make you a professional looking menu/gui later.

Calcium

Educated
The main menu is the least important thing. Focus on making the meat of the game, you can always put it on early access or something and use that money to pay someone to make you a professional looking menu/gui later.

I'll take that to mean it's pretty bad. Back to programming then.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'll take that to mean it's pretty bad. Back to programming then.

I've seen worse in shipped games. I just see myself in it because I used to do the same thing (heavy use of photographs while building a menu) and wish I hadn't wasted my time on irrelevant shit in the first place.

Calcium

Educated
You're right of course, I mainly did it as a break from programming but wound up wishing I hadn't wasted the time anyway.

Keldryn

Arcane
You're right of course, I mainly did it as a break from programming but wound up wishing I hadn't wasted the time anyway.

It's not a waste of time; it's good practice in designing and laying out a GUI screen. It's a good start, and you'll likely go through several iterations of the design before you're finished. Sometimes you need to take a break from the more technical aspects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom