Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stellar Tactics, a sandbox sci-fi RPG - now available on Early Access

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is there any game with a good procedural world? Or are they all crap?

250px-Darklandscover.jpg
To be honest, Darklands had only some procedural elements, the map was for example always the same. german part of the Holy Roman Empire circa ~1400AD with the main cities or rivers being always in their historical locations. More than that, things like highest quality armours/weapons sellers were always placed in the same cities afaik. There were many things procedurally generated like all the minor quests, random encounters, etc...

What i want to say is that a good mix of both procedurally generated content and hand-made content CAN give good results. Potentially. It just is hard to achieve and wasn't really tried that many times before.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Shit, I'm hyped.

Thanks Roqua.

Thank rpgwatch. All I did was post here what I saw there. They might be puritanical Nazis with pitchforks of retardation, and they post mostly about non-rpgs, but they also cover about 20 times more rpg news than this site. These monkeys still haven't posted about this game.

I guess they have extremely high standards for non-console games or jrpgs that aren't 95% hipster trash.

Shevek

Arcane
Plenty of good titles can be procedurally generated. I had tons of fun with Heroes of a Broken land.

Saduj

Arcane
Seems like a less ambitious version of The Mandate.

Here's an interview with the developer that has some details about game play, npc character progression, scope, etc.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/20...terview-spaceships-perma-death-and-fallout-2/

Some of the details mentioned like rpg-lite character progression are a bit disappointing (and incongruous with the name dropping) but the overall concept has me fully on the hype train.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Seems like a less ambitious version of The Mandate.

Here's an interview with the developer that has some details about game play, npc character progression, scope, etc.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/20...terview-spaceships-perma-death-and-fallout-2/

Some of the details mentioned like rpg-lite character progression are a bit disappointing (and incongruous with the name dropping) but the overall concept has me fully on the hype train.

The screenshot of the character screen shows what could be a pretty decent rpg mechanics system. The article kind of doesn't go into specifics of development outside of ship skills increasing and opening perks with skill use. He also mentions a Skyrim Legendary system which I am not familiar with.

I can put up with a lot, but I can't tolerate rpg-lite. I hope there are more interviews and specifics soon so I can know if this is something to look forward to or write off.

Saduj

Arcane
Yeah after I posted I realized that maybe the developer just didn't elaborate much on the character system. The screen shot makes it look like there is more to it. Could also be a hybrid type of thing where your crew mates level up differently than the main character.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
  • Turn based ground combat - take cover, use your action points wisely or face the consequences
:takemymoney:

EDIT: SPACE and Turn-Based? BACKED!

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
  • Turn based ground combat - take cover, use your action points wisely or face the consequences
Strategic action-based space combat

In space you will need to defend yourself at all times. Whether you are hauling merchandise to a distant star system, mining asteroids or hunting down a big bounty, enemy factions, raiders, pirates and others will be trying to take your things, and your life.

Space combat is in real time and can be paused to review your strategic options and examine the battle-scape. Your party members are assigned to ships stations (engineering, piloting, weaponry and targeting) and earn experience, unlocking useful perks as you use ship specific skills.
:M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Strategic action-based space combat

In space you will need to defend yourself at all times. Whether you are hauling merchandise to a distant star system, mining asteroids or hunting down a big bounty, enemy factions, raiders, pirates and others will be trying to take your things, and your life.

Space combat is in real time and can be paused to review your strategic options and examine the battle-scape. Your party members are assigned to ships stations (engineering, piloting, weaponry and targeting) and earn experience, unlocking useful perks as you use ship specific skills.
:M

I more like ground combat, the RTwP space combat I am OK with (I'd rather it was turn-based). Provided they at first designed it to be turn-based.... :M

Ironmonk

Augur
I hope this combat trailer is a very early alpha, because I got the impression that it is slow and dull and this isn't good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
This sounds and looks too ambitious for me to think that such a small team would be able to deliver something great on all of these fronts.. but the concept alone is just too cool to pass the possibility of this happening on. I want to believe.

Backed.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I fell asleep watching that combat trailer. Need to get on them early about animation speed.

StellarTactics

Maverick Games
Developer
Developer of ST here - yes, I'll be working to improve the speed of combat. It's a bit slow. I did take a pass at it recently, added the queue system so attacks can be queued up (you can see the queue system being used in the video). I tend to play a bit slow and careful. I'll be gathering feedback during Early Access and speeding up animations and tweaking things a bit.

The game is ambitious. Many features are implemented already and the early part of the game should be ready for Early Access testing in a few months if the Kickstarter is successful.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Kickstarter cancelled.
This is not the end of Stellar Tactics. We've been Greenlit on Steam and I will continue to work on the game in my spare time. At some point in the future, I may decided to re-launch the Kickstarter campaign taking the feedback I've received and lessons I've learned into consideration. I'll continue to post progress updates on my Blog and Steam. As a thank you to everyone, I'm posting links to three desktop wallpapers.
Seems to be difficult spring for Kickstarter projects to get funding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom