Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Durance, Grieving Mother, Zahua, Hiravias and Eder are imo the five most well-written companions, in that order.

Edit: haven't seen any of Maneha's content yet, but she seems to be generally disliked, even outside of the codex.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you are a closet gay, you can never be too careful! You know how they try to blend in.

I want to ask, do we know who wrote Meneha, Zahua and The Devil? Oh and Sagani? Those are the NPCs I find most annoying. I know Josh wrote Pallegina who doesn't bother me with the drama of being a half-bird at inappropriate times. Eder seems fine, Durance and GM are actually rather good and memorable. Aloth is a bit too stereotypical, in either personality, for an NPC which should represent the whole of Aedyr. Kana's outlook on the world seems rather childish for a scholar.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you are a closet gay, you can never be too careful! You know how they try to blend in.

I want to ask, do we know who wrote Meneha, Zahua and The Devil? Oh and Sagani? Those are the NPCs I find most annoying. I know Josh wrote Pallegina who doesn't bother me with the drama of being a half-bird at inappropriate times. Eder seems fine, Durance and GM are actually rather good and memorable. Aloth is a bit too stereotypical, in either personality, for an NPC which should represent the whole of Aedyr. Kana's outlook on the world seems rather childish for a scholar.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74557-companions-who-wrote-what/

Zahua - Eric
Devil and Maneha - Carrie

Trashos

Arcane
Can you tell me which companions to pick to avoid da gays and lesbo's?

Maneha has a thing for Pallegina. Other than that, I noticed no other signs of homosexuality from any of the party members.

If I had to make a guess, I would say Aloth might fit the bill. There is no concrete evidence on that, just my hunch.

Pallegina, as a Godlike, cannot reproduce and is considered genderless in the Vailian Republics, if you care about that stuff.

Drudkh

Learned
I really like Grieving Mothers story and her bohemian outlook on society, but she's so one dimensional and overly serious as a character to the point where she actually comes off as unbelievable as a character. By the end of the game i was simply tired of her "wise oracle" bullshit.

Eder and Hiravias are my faves by far and have some great bantering between them.

Pallegina does a great job at playing the "straight man" character to more eccentric characters like Harivas, Durance, and Aloth.

Kana's voice actor is so cheesy and "tryhard" to me that it drove me nuts at first, but eventually i began to love him because the cheesiness makes me laugh so much. Basically, Kana's fine with me.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Thanks Bros....so stay away from Carrie Patels characters. Saw a picture of her and my gut said I wouldn't like her characters....either my experience or prejudice. Found Sloth and Eder but Eder didn't join yet. Glad to see it appears MCA characters seem well received.

Saxon1974

Prophet
You can hire mercenaries from the Inn. From what I can tell they look just like a normal party character. What are the pros and con's of them vs scripted companions other than lack of Gayness?

I assume they cost money, start at level 1 and have no personality.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
They can start at any level up to the PC's level - 1. I usually just stick with the companion characters but if you want to maximize combat effectiveness you'll want to go with mercs.

Unwanted
What will I miss from the expansion in the main game, if I don't have The White March?

I am thinking about coming back to the game (I bought and played the game at the release) since 3.0 looks really good, but I was wondering if I have to buy the expansion before I start a new game in order to experience everything The White March has to offer. I'm talking about things like the new companions or Soulbound weapons - are they scattered across the vanilla map or is everything exclusive to the expansion located on the expansion map, so that I can play the vanilla game again and then decide whether I need the expansion or not?

In other words, does the expansion change anything on vanilla maps, like does it add anything to Caed Nua, or Gilded Vale, or to the character creation, or any other system in the game? Or is the whole expansion exclusive to the location on the world map called White March?

What will I miss from the expansion in the main game, if I don't have The White March?

I am thinking about coming back to the game (I bought and played the game at the release) since 3.0 looks really good, but I was wondering if I have to buy the expansion before I start a new game in order to experience everything The White March has to offer. I'm talking about things like the new companions or Soulbound weapons - are they scattered across the vanilla map or is everything exclusive to the expansion located on the expansion map, so that I can play the vanilla game again and then decide whether I need the expansion or not?

In other words, does the expansion change anything on vanilla maps, like does it add anything to Caed Nua, or Gilded Vale, or to the character creation, or any other system in the game? Or is the whole expansion exclusive to the location on the world map called White March?
There are some things that the expansions add to the main game, like cross-class talents and higher level cap, but mostly it's a thing of its own, i.e. the companions are situated in the expansions' maps.
Though some stuff was added in 3.0 patch (new Stronghold questline, adventure descriptions and so on).
My advice is to get the expansions and play with them. They are great, so it adds to that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The expansions have the best area and encounter design, so the most fun battles for high-level party are there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you actually need to own the expansion to get multi-class talents? Weren't they just patched in with 2.0?

aleph

Arcane
Speaking of multi-class talents, all of them look kinda subpar, is there a point in choosing them or will just lead to gimped characters?

Trashos

Arcane
Do you actually need to own the expansion to get multi-class talents? Weren't they just patched in with 2.0?

I don't think so, at least I 've never seen them. I play without the expansions, but of course patched.

I am on my first playthrough of patch 3 now, level 4, and I still haven't seen anything related to multiclass.

Shevek

Arcane
Speaking of multi-class talents, all of them look kinda subpar, is there a point in choosing them or will just lead to gimped characters?
The sneak attack one looks ok but, ya, most are bad.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Apprentice's Sneak Attack, Aspirant's Mark, Gallant's Focus and Outlander's Frenzy are p. good. Frenzy may outlive its usefulness at some point because total +attack speed is capped at 100%, but early on it can provide a very nice DPS boost and you can always respec later.

The rest are either useless or flavor. Although, Enigma's Charm could be OK for some slow and passive class (Chanter maybe) and Rhymer's Summon... not sure... but if I were running a kiting and/or glass cannon party I'd at least test it to see if it's useful as a decoy.

Unwanted
There are some things that the expansions add to the main game, like cross-class talents and higher level cap, but mostly it's a thing of its own, i.e. the companions are situated in the expansions' maps.
Though some stuff was added in 3.0 patch (new Stronghold questline, adventure descriptions and so on).
My advice is to get the expansions and play with them. They are great, so it adds to that.

Thanks for the reply. Will follow your advice and buy the expansion in advance. I might be interested in checking out multi-class talents in the earlier parts of the game, especially since respec is now a legit and viable option.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I took Outlander Frenzy on my Rogue and use it in conjunction with Reckless Assault for some nice damage output. Gonna take MC Constant Recovery on Zahua next level.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, I've finally said fuck it, stopped waiting and started playing it (Sorry Roguey )Maybe its the lowered expectations, Obsidian fanboyism or just having low standards but I quite like it so far. Expected to be far more critical of the writing. Or maybe I just haven't gotten to the truly bad parts yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom