Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

I bought the game for the Revenant class, only to discover afterwards that you have a determined set of traits, and you cannot interchange them. I'm retarded.

Seriously though, the class is bland as hell. At least it's still funner than Warrior.

The set path for traits thing was a feature they introduced for the HoT xpac.

Arenanet is currently on a path to revert all of the initial designs which made GW2 different from all the other popamole MMOs.
gw2 sucks because it's exactly no different from all the other popamole mmos.
they can't revert what doesn't exist.

Leshy

Educated
The thing I don't get most about GW2 is that... it's barely a multiplayer game. I mean you can play with others, but there is almost no content that would emphasize that. Traveling through the world and doing these heart things is cool for casual play, but unlike GW1 guilds seem to serve almost no purpose (ironically). Apart from that there are almost no raids, no dungeons the require you to have a balanced, coordinated party...

Maybe Heart of Thorns changed that... but for now, for my mid level character... I am disappointed...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Non-sidescrolling platforming without a speed-sensitive joystick is fucking retarded. Let me tap tap tap tap WASD until I get right til the edge... Which I can't see clearly because I don't have the handicap of being able to see the platform from the side.

I did play a PC racing game that had full analog control, though, by using the mouse. Moving mouse forward or backward adjusted throttle, side-to-side would turn the wheel. Was very interesting and of course very hard.

Stokowski

Arcane
GW2 platforming: requiring pixel-perfect placement and timing in a game subject to variable network latency. What a great idea! To be fair though, many were really fucking easy, but others ... best treated as a schadenfreudian spectator sport. (And yet, masochist that I am, I completed every one of those fucking puzzles.)

Still, it has better jumping physics than anything using the Hero Engine (SWTOR, ESO).

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeap, its the only sort of fun element of the game, and its jumping on an mmo. its fucking retarded.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
I tried reinstalling to play the solo campaign again - and for some reason i get something around 12fps and 300 ping at all time. What the fuck happened?

HotSnack

Cipher
Now and again I get the urge to replay GW1, only to remember my account for that game has been lost in time, and that rebuying the game on their digital store is outrageously expensive. :x

DramaticPopcorn

12fps and 300 ping at all time
GW2 engine, severely cuts FPS when there's some latency problem.
That's their version of quality netcode.

Meaning that no matter the specs you are running, no matter the settings you put your game on, you WILL have FPS drops if you get high latency.
And you can have the highest speed net on the planet, their fucking network screens are configured so fucking stupidly that you will still get high latency for no good reason even in empty locations, or in instances.
Also, they have low priority IP ranges for bandwith allocation :M

Farage

Arcane
Patron
I don't know, some kind of Stockholm syndrome
I actually missed the feel i got when i played it the first time: exploring and questing, as dumb as it was, was pretty good.

12fps and 300 ping at all time
GW2 engine, severely cuts FPS when there's some latency problem.
That's their version of quality netcode.

Meaning that no matter the specs you are running, no matter the settings you put your game on, you WILL have FPS drops if you get high latency.
And you can have the highest speed net on the planet, their fucking network screens are configured so fucking stupidly that you will still get high latency for no good reason even in empty locations, or in instances.
Also, they have low priority IP ranges for bandwith allocation :M

Thats really fucking stupid, i really thought it has something to do with lag... but i wouldn't guess that they tied data packaging with the engine... jesus christ

JasonNH

Augur
I had a weird problem with the game being locked at 17FPS the first time I tried to play the game. There was some suggestion that it could be from having stopped and re-started the installation. I did a repair and it got better ... but not permanently. I uninstalled the game and installed the 64-bit client version and it has been fine ever since.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Jesus, man. Don't fucking play that garbage, why are you doing this to yourself. There are other MMO games out there, you could sink your time into and they will treat you much better for it. Just yesterday the Arenanet CEO did an AMA on the gw2 subreddit with the announcement that their game director stepped down and he is taking over that responsibility again until they can hire a new one. Then he made a bunch of promises and now it's again waiting for new content for months and it's probably going to be unfinished garbo, because the fucking game director stepped out and the CEO of Arenanet couldn't give a shit and is an old man who couldn't hack it, even if he gave a shit.

Don't do it.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
You see, the thing i liked about Guild Wars 2 wasnt really how original the quests were or how the mechanics were engaging or whatever.
What happened, instead, was something that also happened to me in Skyrim: I played the game and went like "well this is shit" turned it off and went to do other stuff.
But after a while, i caught myself wanting to play more.
And the reason to why that happened was pretty much because of the ambience. (Which is just a fancy way of saying sounds + graphics)
Both games have amazing soundtracks (composed by the same person) that really adds to the game's graphics.
I guess this is what people mean by appreciating art - it just clicks on you and you kinda crave some more later on.
In fact, i still listen to both OSTs on my working time, they're really good.

Naraya

Arcane
GW1 for life.

But yeah, I don't get it why they don't discount GW1 campaigns and/or store items. Even though I already have 3 accounts I'd but a couple more - but not at these prices.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
You see, the thing i liked about Guild Wars 2 wasnt really how original the quests were or how the mechanics were engaging or whatever.
What happened, instead, was something that also happened to me in Skyrim: I played the game and went like "well this is shit" turned it off and went to do other stuff.
But after a while, i caught myself wanting to play more.
And the reason to why that happened was pretty much because of the ambience. (Which is just a fancy way of saying sounds + graphics)
Both games have amazing soundtracks (composed by the same person) that really adds to the game's graphics.
I guess this is what people mean by appreciating art - it just clicks on you and you kinda crave some more later on.
In fact, i still listen to both OSTs on my working time, they're really good.
Were you IMMERSION????

HotSnack

Cipher
:yeah: I managed to recover my GW1 account.

During the process I also logged back in to GW2 and goddamn, that game is still so pretty. Why couldn't they have just remade GW1 but with updated visuals. :negative:

Naraya

Arcane
During the process I also logged back in to GW2 and goddamn, that game is still so pretty. Why couldn't they have just remade GW1 but with updated visuals. :negative:

But honestly, I think GW1 aged extremely well. It's not GW2 graphic-wise but it definitely has its charm unlike many other titles. GW1 looked way better than WoW at launch, and they both launched at roughly same time.

It really did age well. In 2023 when GW2 is 11 years old I'm sure everyone will consider those overly flashy sparkly skill effects, AoE indicators, etc in GW2 to be pretty cheesy.

whatevername

Arcane
This game is complete garbage compared to GW1.
There's only about 20 FREAKING skills per class, 3 elite skills with ridiculous cooldowns and 5 skills tied to your weapon(s) that you can't change. Total popamolation.

GW1 missions with interesting story and ok-ish cutscenes were replaced with a "personal story" in which you enter a tiny map, kill some mobs, skip all the retarded dialogue and get half a level worth of xp with xp boost. Cutscenes were replaced with FUCKING FLASH-like animation with 2 characters slapped on as if somebody used mspaint.

In arena pvp all your items get replaced with some shit so when my char enters it, it loses 1/3 of hp and all attributes are jumbled to some cookie-cutter crap. You can only pick a set of runes, 1 amulet, 2 sigils and and that's it. Your 6 pieces of armor, 2 rings, 2 accesories and a backpack don't matter shit. Not sure what happens with your weapons.

World boss fights are a complete joke compared to other fail games like SWTOR and TERA. All you do is dodge out of red circles on the ground. Don't forget to disable post-processing in gfx opions if you don't want to become an epileptic.

With the exception of fractals(mini missions) and dungeons(dungeons duh) there is no challenge in pve, you can solo almost everything with no effort. Dynamic events like centaurs attacking villages that you help defend or take back are ok, but get boring after 2 times.

World vs World (vs World) is mostly fun like defending forts and shooting enemy players from a top the cliff/wall, but has flaws. Whatever objective you capture in the Borderlands (shrine, camp, tower, keep) can be taken back in 5 minutes by the enemy unless you stay there and do nothing waiting. Or run across vast empty spaces to take that shit back. Eternal Battleground is a smaller map for more pew pew and less running. Most other MMO's battleground implementations and FPS multiplayer are more meaningful than this. It's sad when UT99 beats a MMO.

So... either don't touch it or play f2p and don't waste $50. You can circumvent most market restrictions as f2p, so the things that matter not available to f2p are map chat and gem store/exchange.

Naraya

Arcane
^ I could write a freaking essay about GW2 being a mere shadow of GW1 but I won't since this horse has already been beaten to death many times.

Actually: :deadhorse:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom