Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex GOTY 2015 - Results

ArchAngel

Arcane
Congrats to Underrail, it deserved it.. even with that shitty endgame that I still have not finished.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It would also yield massive drama.

And what is this thread again? Massive drama and butthurts galore. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Nah, it's really not that bad because there's nobody to point fingers at.

I think I serve as a good recent example of what happens when there is somebody to point fingers at. Given that, who would even dare serve on a panel of judges?
Anyone who isn't a massive coward.

I would be a good one-man panel of judges, jury and executioner.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Can't believe the amount of cucks who helped Witcher 3 trump Serpent in the Staglands.

Oh, and the "remaster" category is just pure shilling.

Still, good to see Underrail and AoD take first and second place. Just wish Staglands was there to complete the new trinity.

Fireblade

Erudite
I wish I could criticize the RPG Watch's poll like that, but while we release the full data & methodology, they only post the results... +M
I'm Stingray on the Watch. Didn't intend to criticize - I like the method and the spreadsheet. Really just figured I'd drop a warning in the news post thread over there that the "top 10" list that got quoted probably isn't exactly what the people there would be expecting (ie: a simple GotY poll, like the kind RPGWatch runs each year). I created that alternate "rankings of games people actually played" list mostly just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It would also yield massive drama.

And what is this thread again? Massive drama and butthurts galore. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Nah, it's really not that bad because there's nobody to point fingers at.

I think I serve as a good recent example of what happens when there is somebody to point fingers at. Given that, who would even dare serve on a panel of judges?
Anyone who isn't a massive coward.

I would be a good one-man panel of judges, jury and executioner.
Nah, you're more of a prosecutor/executor if you ask me.

likaq

Arcane
but I understand why someone simply not enjoy it, not because he is a retard with ADHD, but because he doesn't like slow single-character combat.

Underrail also have single-character combat so anybody who detest AoD for this reason should also detest UR.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Stingray said:
I think that "top 10" is a bit misleading because for most of those games, hardly anyone on the site actually played them. Their style of voting was a bit out of the ordinary - instead of voting for the best game, what they did is have everyone rate every game that they played from 2015. The list is derived from the Bayesian average ratings of each game.

If you limit the list to games that were played by a reasonable number of voters, then their full GotY rankings would be:

1. Underrail (played by 58%) - rating 4.20
2. AoD (played by 63%) - rating 4.18
3. Witcher 3 (played by 51%) - rating 4.00
4. Serpent in the Staglands (played by 35%) - rating 3.56
5. Shadowrun: Hong Kong (played by 44%) - rating 3.52
6. Pillars of Eternity (played by 76%) - rating 3.30
7. Sunless Sea (played by 17%) - rating 2.91
8. Undertale (played by 29%) - rating 2.60
9. Fallout 4 (played by 44%) - rating 1.86
10. Sword Coast Legends (played by 11%) - rating 1.71

Every other game was only played by 8% or less of the voters. (The full spreadsheet is available at their site, my list is taken from the GotY tab of it.) #7 and #10 weren't played by many, so maybe they should be dropped too. Now the list begins to look pretty reasonable.

If they had actually voted like we do here, I'm assuming AoD would have won their GotY, due to its somewhat higher % of players than Underrail (and Witcher 3), and similar rating.
This is ok I suppose, but it doesn't actually fix everything, since "top 10" usually implies that everyone enjoyed the games overall and picked the 10 best ones.
On this list however, everything below PoE has ratings suggesting that a majority thought the games were at best mediocre or outright bad.
TL;DR: retarded watch agenda trying to imply that codex loves FO4

No, you and the other guys were disqualified for being lazy trolls randomly downvoting every game while pushing your agenda, which activated my trap card - you all voted for Oertolas: Legends of the Lost King, a game that doesn't fucking exist.
Hah, nice one.
:excellent:

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Great job, guys. I know considerable effort went into this, but nothing good came of it. My suggestion for next year's vote: Assemble a 'panel' of judges whom will first help establish which games are actually worthy of being in the poll, and then have their vote weigh 50% against the userbase vote. That might actually yield some credible results, not this crap.
What, and make Fallout 4 GOTY like all the other professional gaming sites?

Yes... I like this idea.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Users in yellow deserve some special tag, UR fanboys were obvious but FeelTheRads I can forgive since Vault Dweller hurt his feelings and he can't stand him ever since.

Wut? Do you have any reason to think this? No? Then let me just assume it's one of those cases of "nobody can dislike what I like so much, he must be a hater, it's not possible that people have different tastes or that what I like is shit".

And that's what AoD is. Shit. 1 is all I can give it.
If it makes you feel better, if the scale was 1 to 10, I'd have given it a 2.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fanboys said:
My favorite won, therefore [the scoring process was perfect/it was legitimate/the moderators were honest/you all are just butthurt/pls don't take this moment of joy from my pathetic life]

Could be it's "my favorite didn't win, therefore everything is wrong and everybody is a hater". Could it? I don't know, but cry some more, it's beautiful.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
but I understand why someone simply not enjoy it, not because he is a retard with ADHD, but because he doesn't like slow single-character combat.

Underrail also have single-character combat so anybody who detest AoD for this reason should also detest UR.

The key part is slow. Combat in Underrail is pretty quick because enemies have a lot less HP. Fighting a bunch of rats takes no time at all. In AoD almost every combat encounters takes a lot of time (especially if you don't speed-up animations using commands) which combined with single-character combat makes is a love-hate kind of thing.

Desur

Educated
Patron
BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's funny how in some cases the results change depending on the tab, compare the 'Overall results' and 'GOTY' for Fallout 4 and Sword Coast Legends for instance. Is this some SJW inclusivity agenda to allow both of them the prestige of being the worst game of the year?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
if you're so lazy why did you vote for them at all?
Indeed. I call Blaine lazy, but he individually voted on over 100 games, while the average person voted on like 20. He cared so little that he was the guy that put the most effort among all voters.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
RPGs winning the GOTY award in Codex ? Where is the world coming to. Next youll say you will only be suggesting rpgs through the steam curator. Crazy times

Last edited:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how in some cases the results change depending on the tab, compare the 'Overall results' and 'GOTY' for Fallout 4 and Sword Coast Legends for instance. Is this some SJW inclusivity agenda to allow both of them the prestige of being the worst game of the year?
It's because the data set is different, so the Bayesian average can differ.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, now that we also have the usernames, post number and reg date, we can check how various demographics voted.

For example, this is the overall Top 10 old fag result, accounting only voters from 2009 & earlier (194 in total):
  1. Age of Decadence 4,03
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 3,98
  3. Underrail 3,98
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon 3,75
  5. Invisible, Inc. 3,75
  6. Conquest of Elysium 4 3,67
  7. Chaos Reborn 3,66
  8. Shadowrun: Hong Kong 3,60
  9. Serpent in the Staglands 3,59
  10. Wasteland 2: Director's Cut 3,57
Here's the same data, but with only post-2009 new fags (548 in total):
  1. Underrail 4,18
  2. Age of Decadence 4,15
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 3,93
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon 3,81
  5. Invisible, Inc. 3,73
  6. Voidspire Tactics 3,64
  7. Conquest of Elysium 4 3,62
  8. Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim 3,55
  9. Serpent in the Staglands 3,53
  10. Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition 3,50
Now you know why Underrail won.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom