Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
The Walkin' Dude said:
Getting laid may be a "reward". For example you could beat up the thugs who have been harassing whores and shagg a prostitute for free.[...]

not for free, theyre not such whores - for flowers dude, for flowers... :cool:

Troll

Scholar
Thats not what I am asking. Playing as a Ultra Heterosexual Male™ is a big turn-off for me, in a game. I just am wondering if in the MAIN plot, am I forced to sex0r hawt chix, profess my love for big b00bies?

you're not forced to have sex with anyone, it's all up to you. one or more of the girls can give you clues about the quests though, but nothing you couldn't find another way

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I have no idea where people get the idea Witcher is about bad ass dude and having sex is a must in this game. Cmon. CDP Devs are not THAT deprived.

dunduks

Liturgist
Nael said:
Same here except for the fistfight minigame. I've got the sword combat down pat, but for some reason the fistfight combat seems horribly broken or I am doing it horribly wrong. I have the strength and dexterity bonuses for fistfighting but when I try FF'ing Geralt just looks like he's cringing. I get a fist icon and I try holding down left mouse... nothing. I try holding it down and tapping when the fist icon goes from big to small, a'la regular combat... nothin. I try mashing left mouse and the animations get buggy looking, like I'm waving my hands around and my opponent starts having seizures. Usually the other guy just wails on me while I stand there doing nothing. The only way i can win is just button mash the guy out of the arena, but I can't punch a thing to save my life.
The trick to boxing minigame is right mouse button, hold it down until the opponent throws a punch, then counter attack, after that you can start your own "attack chain". If opponent manages to disrupt your "combo", right click again and start anew.

Ausir

Arcane
Thats not what I am asking. Playing as a Ultra Heterosexual Male™ is a big turn-off for me, in a game.

Well, Geralt is male and heterosexual in the books...

stargelman

Scholar
I just finished the game for the first time and I guess I should profess my love for this game right here and now, but guess what? I won't. Enough has been said about its qualities and those areas where it is lacking. So where does that leave me and my post? Simple: I'll just say this:

I've finished it and if you haven't then I'm better than you, VIRGIN!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
At risk of losing my status as a Polish nationalist, I'll say that I lost some time because Geralt got stuck in a wall and I had to resort to an earlier save :-( I hope more patches are coming.

Nael

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
The caves/crypts feel pretty tacked on, which is a shame because they could of made vampire hunting truly something.

Actually I found the "minidungeons" to be a breath of fresh air, imo. The oldskool dungeon crawler in me sort of agrees however... The hidden part of the Crypt in A1 was hellah fun.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Nael said:
fizzelopeguss said:
The caves/crypts feel pretty tacked on, which is a shame because they could of made vampire hunting truly something.

Actually I found the "minidungeons" to be a breath of fresh air, imo. The oldskool dungeon crawler in me sort of agrees however... The hidden part of the Crypt in A1 was hellah fun.

Sure it was - I had to advance backwards very quickly when I met it's inhabitant.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Nael said:
fizzelopeguss said:

they're the same layout though, i do like the fact that they are short and usually to the point on the other hand. Just a lost oppurtunity, but if better dungeons meant them taking away resources from the overland zones (which are superb) then fair enough, mini dungeons i'll live with.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
good move. It'll fit the console port perfectly, just gotta iron out the bugs though. Loading screens are staples of consolism no problems.

Deacdo

Liturgist

Ausir

Arcane
Well, here's what the devs say in the official forums:

Guys, what is important is the game, not the platform. We don't have any precised plans regarding upcoming projects but personally I think there's no point in bashing consoles just because they're not PCs. We're all PC gamers in RED but many of us are also console freaks. I may assure you, whatever platform we choose, the game is what really matters. Trust me. One of the reasons we did The Witcher is because we wanted to show that we can develop great, deep games. It's not top priority on which platform we do it.

As for now we treat PC gamers as a first-class citizens (The Witcher is "exclusive" ;) on PC) so there's really no point in worrying about second part of our game since it's not even announced ;) I think we clearly proved that we can develop games that are huge, deep and full of great RPG features. There's no reason why should we forget about our fanbase and start to make crappy games with bugged controls etc. :D No such thing will ever happen. Our dev team worked too hard to do such things... So, have a little more faith in us - The Witcher proved we're keeping our promises when it comes to good RPG game.

Texas Red

Whiner
The whole "platform doesnt matter for great games" argument is old and tired. No, it DOES matter and I dont need to even clarifry it.

Hopefully there will be an expansion before the inevetible simultaneous PC-console release that will undoubtedly ruin the series.

Nael

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:
The whole "platform doesnt matter for great games" argument is old and tired. No, it DOES matter and I dont need to even clarifry it.

Hopefully there will be an expansion before the inevetible simultaneous PC-console release that will undoubtedly ruin the series.

I think if the game is developed first for the PC in mind, and later ported to console our fears of a developer going down that gold brick road to EA land isn't much to worry about. However,Here's a thread from the official Witcher forums where a dev puts in his 2 cents on the issue of porting to console or developing for both PC and a console at the same time. It looks like our hunches could go either way. Goddamn slippery PR speak... :evil:

Here're some quotes for the lazy batches:

Dziadu said:
Guys, what is important is the game, not the platform. We don't have any precised plans regarding upcoming projects but personally I think there's no point in bashing consoles just because they're not PCs. We're all PC gamers in RED but many of us are also console freaks. I may assure you, whatever platform we choose, the game is what really matters. Trust me. One of the reasons we did The Witcher is because we wanted to show that we can develop great, deep games. It's not top priority on which platform we do it.

Dziadu said:
As for now we treat PC gamers as a first-class citizens (The Witcher is "exclusive" Wink on PC) so there's really no point in worrying about second part of our game since it's not even announced Wink I think we clearly proved that we can develop games that are huge, deep and full of great RPG features. There's no reason why should we forget about our fanbase and start to make crappy games with bugged controls etc. Cheesy No such thing will ever happen. Our dev team worked too hard to do such things... So, have a little more faith in us - The Witcher proved we're keeping our promises when it comes to good RPG game.

As for now...? Pull up your pants cuz it's time to cover your ass...

EDIT: It's also interesting (see also: alarming) to note that the dev's title is: "1st Earned Money". Well at least we know what is important to this dev... :roll:

Ausir

Arcane
"1st Earned Money" is a normal rank there based on post count. As for the quotes, I just posted them 2 posts back.

Ausir

Arcane
It refers to a witcher's first earned money from slaying his first monster.

Top Hat

Scholar
Nael said:
I think if the game is developed first for the PC in mind, and later ported to console our fears of a developer going down that gold brick road to EA land isn't much to worry about.

Isn't that what Bethesda did with Morrowind?

Nael

Arcane
Top Hat said:
Nael said:
I think if the game is developed first for the PC in mind, and later ported to console our fears of a developer going down that gold brick road to EA land isn't much to worry about.

Isn't that what Bethesda did with Morrowind?

Yes. Morrowind was released just over a month after the PC version. And I do get the impression that they were developing Morrowind primarily for the PC in mind given the interface and the storyline that was, while not the greatest storyline I've heard, was leaps and bounds better than Oblivion.

The release for Oblivion was simultaneous for the PC and Xbox, and it's fairly obvious they were aiming for the nosepicking/boggereating crowd in comparison to Morrowind. And that's what counts imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom