Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games on drugs

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I smukked sum prot bro dude like trust me dude

MapMan

Arcane
I recently played doom 2 coop with pretty much non-gamer friends and we all had a blast. The fun lasted until they decided they want to 'try the competitive mode'. What can I say, the scrubs had to be punished.

Another fun game is any Diablo, even the last installment. It makes you appreciate the games for what they are, dumb monster slayers and not give a shit about stats, min-maxing, builds and what not.

Oh, so kingcomrade is an actual poster... I thought it was just an urban myth.

On topic, play some Oblivion, maaaaaan. Once you are high enough, all that shit about mudcrabs will make sense, and the Bloom on NPCs' faces will reveal a secret map toward enlightenment, no pun intended.

rogozhin

Cipher
I've always found Civ 4 and Paradox games very relaxing when stoned. Also, as already mentioned, King of Dragon Pass. Deus Ex. Morrowind. Worms.

DramaticPopcorn

When I was getting high regularly, I would only play multiplayer games and piss people off :^)

For weed (haven't done it for at least 20 years, too much on alcohol these days), I'd recommend trying to get a C64 emulator with a huge pack of games (like Gamebase64) and trying every weird game on it, generally made by high-schoolers (more than 10000 were commercially published during the computer's lifespan), I think you will completely trip.

Why bother? Besides psychostimulants, all drugs just throw up a barrier between you and your experiencing games. That money that you're wasting on weed would be better spent on a new rig.

That said, if you are going to take stuff, heavy doses of hallucinogens or dissociatives (my favourite) are where it's at. Nothing else compares to the really trippy stuff.
How do you manage to play games when you can't even sit up to look at the monitor? I'm not sure you're using the term "heavy doses" correctly.

hello friend

Arcane
Why bother? Besides psychostimulants, all drugs just throw up a barrier between you and your experiencing games. That money that you're wasting on weed would be better spent on a new rig.

That said, if you are going to take stuff, heavy doses of hallucinogens or dissociatives (my favourite) are where it's at. Nothing else compares to the really trippy stuff.
How do you manage to play games when you can't even sit up to look at the monitor? I'm not sure you're using the term "heavy doses" correctly.
On the way up obv. Play the game until you're lying on the floor chatting up the carpet.

Hyperpube

Scholar
I don't agree with this post at all. Why bother you ask? well first of all because your claim isn't really accurate. I don't really want to sound like I am some kind of super enthusiast marijuana defense force , but i I have never had the feeling that weed acted as some barrier between my experiencing games, if anything it made the experience more enjoyable/enveloping/immersive. That's what happens to other stoners and that's why they actually bother doing it.

And just because somebody smokes weed doesn't mean that they smoke a lot of it all the time, the money you would save by quttiing doesn't mean you'll have saved enough some crazy mind altering new rig or upgrade. Even if it were a lot of savings, like say $2000 a year or something and you put it to pc parts for a ga, you're probably just wasting money on overpriced components.

Man I gotta admit right now that though i am not what I consider to be a heavy stoner ( I often go months or even a year without smoking) I have been stoned all day today, and having a really hard time finding the right words to express myself as clearly as I could. so many edits

Last edited:
I don't agree with this post at all. Why bother you ask? well first of all because your claim isn't really accurate. I don't really want to sound like I am some kind of super enthusiast marijuana defense force , but i I have never had the feeling that weed acted as some barrier between my experiencing games, if anything it made the experience more enjoyable/enveloping/immersive. That's what happens to other stoners and that's why they actually bother doing it.

Objectively speaking, THC dulls the intellect and impedes both perception and reflexes. It also fools you into thinking your experiences are better and more important than they really are, which is a problem with all euphoric drugs.

It doesn't matter if your experience feels really, really significant. As we all know, feelings don't dictate reality. None of the experiences I had while taking psychedelics were quintessentially new; the peculiarity of the drugs was that they forced an awareness of ego loss, meaningfulness, etc. to the forefront of my consciousness, and to the exclusion of other considerations. I already experience all of the supposedly unique aspects of a psychedelic trip in everyday life (people often forget that we have dreams in these discussions), broken up into different times, but not in one, unified experience.

I understand the utility of these drugs as a way of dropping the metaphorical anvil of the nature of experience on the heads of those who cannot or will not introspect, but I don't see the value in making it difficult to pay attention to the games you're playing.

And just because somebody smokes weed doesn't mean that they smoke a lot of it all the time, the money you would save by quttiing doesn't mean you'll have saved enough some crazy mind altering new rig or upgrade. Even if it were a lot of savings, like say $2000 a year or something and you put it to pc parts for a ga, you're probably just wasting money on overpriced components.

Man I gotta admit right now that though i am not what I consider to be a heavy stoner ( I often go months or even a year without smoking) I have been stoned all day today, and having a really hard time finding the right words to express myself as clearly as I could. so many edits
Unless you live in California or the Netherlands you also have to factor in the cost of jail-time, legal representation, fines, and court fees. THC is also one of the few drugs that produces a long-acting deficit in reflexes. I couldn't in good conscience advise any gamer who ever plays action games to smoke weed.

Last edited:

Hyperpube

Scholar
I

It doesn't matter if your experience feels really, really significant. As we all know, feelings don't dictate reality....

Unless you live in California or the Netherlands you also have to factor in the cost of jail-time, legal representation, fines, and court fees. THC is also one of the few drugs that produces a long-acting deficit in reflexes. I couldn't in good conscience advise any gamer who ever plays action games to smoke weed.

What? Of course it matters if your experience feels really different, that's the whole point of doing them. What are you saying, that the perceived pleasant feelings are imaginary feelings and there aren't any pleasing psychological effects at all? And no you don't you don't have to factor in the cost of legal fees, jail time etc unless you live in California or Netherlands, because those aren't the only places where it's legal to use. But just to humor you, I will factor in the costs I have spent in an area where it's not legal. I have been using it for over 25 years, and total spent on all of those things you mentioned is a whopping total of zero dollars. What's next? Are you gonna say you gotta factor in the cost of DUI fines when somebody has a drink or two when playing games too? You're not making any sense and I cannot in good conscience advise any reader to take your post seriously.

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
I played the whole fucking Mass Effect trilogy high. Maybe that's why I think ME2 is one of the best games ever. At first I finished ME1 and I realized I played the game high all the time, so I took a vow to continue with 2 (I played them back to back). And of course 3 when it came out.

Also sports games with friends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom