Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Proving Calis right (and responding to DU)...

Jason

chasing a bee
I've been avoiding touching this awful thread like the plague, but I'll post my own simple position now that the drama has died down (for the evening at least):

I don't want users banned or threatened with banning for making tasteless jokes.
I don't want a great VD led purge of the forums.
I don't want users to be afraid that anything they write might bring down holy wrath.
I want VD on the staff.
I don't agree with DU's "I can't trust VD" stance, especially since it's based on mostly minor issues from the past.
I don't like that what should have been a private conversation turned into a public flogging, complete with "I win!" pictures.
I don't care about dumbfuck tags. When was the last time someone was actually offended by them? They're just for shits & giggles.
I wish Spacemoose and KC would get a goddamn room.

lwb

Novice
This really wan't the way I planned to delurk, but well ...

Throwing out the guy who provided 99% of the content in the last few years is beyond stupid. And then expecting that schoolboys, teenage spammers, emos and furries could fill up ... there's really no word for that.

Last time I checked editors weren't payed for their contribution. Who made DU a fucking CEO of the Codex? For all my years working as a corporate lawyer I haven't seen such arrogancy as DU showed to the guy who carried this place on his back for the last few years without any kind of compensation. He didn't even get respect as it is quite clear now. While the other editors or admins really did shit content-wise. Oh, I'm sure you have been lurking here, and posting on the admin forums and doing techie stuff 24/7 but it's supposed to be an RPG site. And a site without content worth shit. And no, it's not the forums alone that made this site unique - it's the style of the editors which brought up issues to be discussed at the forums.

Now take a look at the editorial "staff":

http://www.rpgcodex.net/main.php?id=staff

Yes, you just throwed out the last of them. Brilliant move!

I'm sure there will be others posting news (posting links to RPGWatch is really not that hard anyways), probably a few review here and there. At least as long as the initial enthusiasm lasts. The quantity might be ok, what about the quality?

And don't you dare to compare this shitstorm to that of Rex's. Everyone was happy when Rex left, he was acting like an ass and after that the site became a better place. Now all I see is a coup de grace. With Saint, Spazmo and technically every editor and staff member already left, and now VD thrown out, I really can't see how to go on. You simply ran out of quality posters, guys.

Meh, just ignore what I said if you wish. This is my first and last post here. Will lurk here for a while, see what happens but I guess the 'codex is as good as dead. Too bad, this used to be a fun place to lurk in the last 4 years. :(

dunduks

Liturgist
How about creating a way to mark a post "lulz" or something, like, if three or more people mark a post as "lulz", it would be hidden by a clickable button/link that once clicked would expand to normal post. You could make a setting in preferences to see all the "lulz"/make "lulz" clickable/unhidable/hide them completely.
That way the problem to lulz or not to lulz would be solved.
A few lulz are ok, but the way it is now, there are far more lulz per post then serious disscussions and it is growing old, at least for me. But banning all the lulzers would be uncodexian and should be avoided.

lwb

Novice
Astromarine said:
lwb said:
For all my years working as a corporate lawyer

lwb said:
arrogancy

lwb said:
you just throwed out the last of them.

I don't think you're a corporate lawyer, enjoy your unemployment benefits/walmart paycheck.

I am. Though I'm not a native english speaker. Sorry for the bad english.
Do an IP check and see for yourself.

lwb

Novice
Shagnak said:
lwb said:
Do an IP check and see for yourself.
invitel.co.hu

Thanks. .co.hu explains pretty much everything.

Being a corporate lawyer here in Hungary means having the same income as if I would be unemployed in Switzerland, I guess. So you are right in some sense.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It still looks to me like it comes down to a personal issue between DU and VD.
I don't suppose throwing out DU so VD can come to terms with the rest of the staff is an option.

Twinfalls

Erudite
And with the entry of a lawyer the good village Codex was re-united. Pitchforks everybody!!

sqeecoo

Arcane
dunduks said:
How about creating a way to mark a post "lulz" or something, like, if three or more people mark a post as "lulz", it would be hidden by a clickable button/link that once clicked would expand to normal post. You could make a setting in preferences to see all the "lulz"/make "lulz" clickable/unhidable/hide them completely.
A few lulz are ok, but the way it is now, there are far more lulz per post then serious disscussions and it is growing old, at least for me. But banning all the lulzers would be uncodexian and should be avoided.

This bears repeating before it's drowned out in the lulz. It's a good suggestion, I would say.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
sqeecoo said:
dunduks said:

This bears repeating before it's drowned out in the lulz. It's a good suggestion, I would say.
I forsee a high abuse factor. Besides shouldn't it be the moderators job to sort out the excess lulz in the first place? That's why we need them after all. The proposed solution above leaves the sorting out to everybody, and thus to everybody's whims - and I'm not sure that's a good idea given the recent history of this place.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Come to think of it, I want an ignore function now. I used to be of the opinion that I can ignore people without software help, but sometimes there's too many of them here.
Ideally, the ignore function would remove any trace of the post so I am not even aware of it. Ignorance is bliss.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, that would be quite helpful. At least until the tide of retards ebbs a bit. I know it is possible with certain browser plugins, but... yeah.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Be better to code something related to the tag system. Edit your profile, pick what tags you want visible. EG: Dumbfucks, illiterate, spammers, furries. Show posts Yes / No.

Then when you view a thread, anyone with one of those tags would be shown or hidden depending on your preferences. I would make it so it showed "kingcomrade has posted here" or something and you could click a little javascript controlled + / - to view the post if you wanted to but for the most part, you could just move on by. Maybe even have an option to not even show that and just hide the post completely.

By default guests would have those posts hidden completely and upon registering, would find furries inside, kind of like a Kinder Surprise.

... or you could just use your brain and skip the posts anyway. I mean, either or.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Ivy Mike said:
I forsee a high abuse factor. Besides shouldn't it be the moderators job to sort out the excess lulz in the first place? That's why we need them after all. The proposed solution above leaves the sorting out to everybody, and thus to everybody's whims - and I'm not sure that's a good idea given the recent history of this place.

I agree. But a suggestion along these lines is worth taking into consideration, I would say. Now, I have to go to college. Adios!

elander_

Arbiter
You could make a forum (other than general discussion) for throwing conversation away and joking. Don't call it a Lulz but chat forums or something. In general discussion people follow a theme and debate it and in a chat forum people only chat and the theme is not very important. These are two different things.

See TTLG for example: http://www.ttlg.com/

They have a general discussion forum and a community chat forum and it has always worked well.

roshan

Arcane
At the old Black Isle forums, there was a forum for serious debates on Religion/Politics/Philosophy/History, a forum for discussing literature, movies and music as well as an off topic forum for the spammers and the lulz crowd - which worked quite well. I think splitting general discussion into three would be a good idea.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
All those who have donated to the site and therefore don't see any ads, go to page one of this thread and look at the end of AnalogKid's post and just before my post. Let me know if you spot anything. Then let me know what you think.

roshan said:
At the old Black Isle forums, there was a forum for serious debates on Religion/Politics/Philosophy/History, a forum for discussing literature, movies and music as well as an off topic forum for the spammers and the lulz crowd - which worked quite well. I think splitting general discussion into three would be a good idea.
Don't we already have separate RPG and General Discussion forums and isn't the main complaint here that the "seriuz bizness" isn't happening in the RPG threads? Or are people seriously concerned that they aren't able to discuss school massacres in a serious manner on an RPG site?

serch

Magister
Full powers back to VD, he doesn't deserve this treatment. Everyone in the staff should be able to ban the presumptive dumbfuck. The banner takes the issue to the Codex`s Sanctum where a poll is made in front of a bronze SP statue riding Todd. The result of this staff poll determines if the ban is mantained or retired. Big Deal.

Au naturel

Scholar
What is the special thing for paying customers? Horse Armour?

Full powers back to VD, he doesn't deserve this treatment. Everyone in the staff should be able to ban the presumptive dumbfuck. The banner takes the issue to the Codex`s Sanctum where a poll is made in front of a bronze SP statue riding Todd. The result of this staff poll determines if the ban is mantained or retired. Big Deal.

Should have been the way it was, indeed. I daresay you could find something better than Todd to be SP's 'steed' though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom