Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KOTOR 2 confirmed?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

According to <a href=http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1551692,00.asp>this article</a> at <a href=http://www.1up.com>1UP</a>, the rumors of <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obisian</a> working on <b>KOTOR 2</b> have been confirmed.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>For the first time in...well, ever, perhaps, the most anticipated of console RPG sequels may not be a Japanese game. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 could be as big or bigger than any Final Fantasy, and the next issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly will be the first place you can see it.
<br>
Knights of the Old Republic 2 will be revealed in the June issue of EGM, as part of a split cover story with Computer Gaming World. Be sure to check out both issues -- hitting stands in late April -- for the full story on the latest production from Obsidian Entertainment and LucasArts. </blockquote>
<br>
I guess we just need to wait and see if MCA still got it.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>DemonKing</b>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That entire thing is sscrewed up. Various things say that Obsidian is developing it, Bioware is developing it, and their developing it together. Make up their damn minds! :twisted:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, somebody is definitely developing it somewhere and that's the point, not that anyone had any doubts. SW RPGs would be milked for years now untill everyone is sick of them, IE style

DemonKing

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
SW RPGs would be milked for years now untill everyone is sick of them, IE style

Hey - I'd still buy an IE game now, provided the reviews were ok.

I just replayed IWD/HOTU/ToTLM on my new system and it looked awesome in a high resolution with a Radeon 9800 and a 22" monitor.

Only gripe was I still got slow downs when there were more than a couple of webs/stinking clouds/cloud kills etc active at any one time.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Well, somebody is definitely developing it somewhere and that's the point, not that anyone had any doubts. SW RPGs would be milked for years now untill everyone is sick of them, IE style
Not true. There are still fanboys who'd love to see more games using the IE.

Oh and I think the IE is the best engine Bioware developed for their RPG's, cause the Odyssey and Aurora engines were just silly.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Greyhawk said:
There are still fanboys who'd love to see more games using the IE.

Wasn't there some idiot called Bladen with the same wish? He also did called the engine "beloved".

Oh and I think the IE is the best engine Bioware developed for their RPG's, cause the Odyssey and Aurora engines were just silly.

The Aurora engine, in my opinion, mainly suffered with being treated as a 2D engine, and of not using the tile-based system it was founded on better. The Z-axis is nigh obliterated, and the limit of 45 degree isometric perspective made it feel even more 2D-ish. Having good textures or a would-be high polycount is useless, because i can't see it due to camera problems.

Though the Odyssey seems to be better than NWN's on some things. Not being a code monkey, i can't tell what are the improvements, though, but graphically it seems to fare better.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
My main gripe with both the Aurora and the Odyssey is that they are 3-D, and I think 3-D should be left to action games and action hybrids. I always found it silly in KotOR how my character can't step up a few inches. Where's the logic in that. In KotOR it turns out that you wouldn't even be able to walk up a set of stairs. Jumping is out of the game completely (except for that kewl jedi move which you couldn't control and happened automatically), when in fact for a 3-D engine it shouldn't be too hard at all to implement that. And of course there are other minor issues, like the camera being glued to your characters ass and thus it being impossible to keep track of more than one char at a time... I don't know whether that's a problem with the engine though. Plus, I hate the WASD movement system. At least Aurora had that as optional. Stupid console ports :evil:
In the Aurora engine it's a lot of the exact same problems as in the Odyssey engine, and it just totally annoys me how Bio decided to go 3-D simply because it would be kewl. The graphics are awful due to bland repetitive backgrounds, and characters look ridiculous. The whole thing with zooming in and out that the fanboys went so crazy about... I personally never could stand the zoom in during dialog, cause the characters almost looked like random collections of polygons. The bigger monsters like the dragons... someone complained that IE dragons looked like chickens... well I don't know what Aurora dragons look like.

Flink

Liturgist
I wish more developers would go with 3D, ToEE style. THAT is how 3D should be implemented in a CRPG.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Flink said:
I wish more developers would go with 3D, ToEE style. THAT is how a 3D RPG should look.
Amen! ToEE is the best looking game I've ever seen, 2d or 3d.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Greyhawk said:
My main gripe with both the Aurora and the Odyssey is that they are 3-D, and I think 3-D should be left to action games and action hybrids.

I think 3D is just as good as 2D, if not better, but the problem is that most of the time, 3D isn't used well enough.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I think 3D works fine in game likes Gothic 2 (I just love the way you can climb ledges in that game) where they actually try to make use of the technology. It was pretty pointless in KotOR, but pretty.

I'm a bit surprised that Bioware would license this title to another developer, but I imagine that they are working on other titles and still want to cash in on the success of KotOR as soon as possible.

Dhruin

Liturgist
@Volourn, why is it screwed up? I'll bet the "working with" bit simply means that Obsidian is using their Odyssey engine and BioWare are co-producing the title (with LucasArts).

It's no surprise that BioWare has passed this on. In my opinion it's their goal not to work directly with licensed material again. They're want to work with their own IP and anything else will get farmed out.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
VD, if you count doing pretty cutscenes and spell effects as "co dveeloped" as that's about all Floodgate did on SOU.

It'ss crerwed up; as the rumours state everything. Someone doens't read. Some say Obsidian is , others BIo; some both. Make up your minds with the silly rumours. of course, it's probably both but oh well.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
VD, if you count doing pretty cutscenes and spell effects as "co dveeloped" as that's about all Floodgate did on SOU.
My mistake then. I wasn't sure as I didn't follow SoU developemnt and that's why I said "didn't they" as of opposite to "OMG! U r teh noob!" :)

Spazmo

Erudite
I'm pretty sure Obsidian will be developing this game "alone" with BioWare just sticking their name on the box. LucasArts will, of course, provide their excellent sound effects studios and such as well as their massive monetary resources, but it'll be an Obsidian game.

My advice to Obsidian: kill Bastila off really fast. Maybe wheel out her twin sister Jastila who is less of a whiny, preachy, uppity bitch.

Edit: Also, here's something moderately neat I saw over at the Obsidian boards while hoping to find a reaction from the devs:

kotor2.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hey, no prob, VD.

Spaz, if you think BIo won't ahve any input into the game; I'm sure you'll find out soon enough you'll be sadly mistaken. :twisted:

Jarinor

Liturgist

I sure hope he does. Maybe this time we'll get a game that doesn't follow the "Experienced warriors of all sorts cannot solve this problem, or do not care to. Why don't you, an inexperienced nobody, take on this dangerous but vital quest which will provide you with untold fame and fortune if you succeed (as well as a fuzzy warm feeling when you save the world)."

Seven

Erudite
Jarinor said:

I sure hope he does. Maybe this time we'll get a game that doesn't follow the "Experienced warriors of all sorts cannot solve this problem, or do not care to. Why don't you, an inexperienced nobody, take on this dangerous but vital quest which will provide you with untold fame and fortune if you succeed (as well as a fuzzy warm feeling when you save the world)."

No you're worng; I didn't save the world in KOTOR I saved the known universe. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom