Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
TERRATUS - TRUE STAR

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
* I love learn-by-doing, at least in concept. Here's hoping they do a nice deep analysis of every skill to stop farming and exploits. I'll hold my breath.

* If it's "Chosen One plus companions", I am actually fine with a four-character party. Maybe there will be fewer scripted NPCs I'm supposed to care about.

* 16 flaming arrows with one shot? Launching guys 50 feet up to do air strikes? Eh. Not excited on paper - but maybe it will be more fun than select all, right click. This kind of silliness is definitely going to undercut the grim tone though.

Sannom

Augur
- friendship/rivalry companion affinities, each with their own bonus
Don't you fucking dare.

While Obsidian stated that we work for the evil overlord, I already get the sense that the overlord is not that evil and he just wanted order.
We're going to play after the Caesar's Legion ending of New Vegas, I believe. Or Kyros will be a fantasy version of Stalin given the literacy thing.

Evil overlord!
Silly combos!
Unleash power of friendship!
Skill grinding!

Now then i look at their tyranny site again - art here is rather silly, and look like some type of mockery.

Obsidian Disgaea confirmed

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You May Also Like: "Nixon Policy Advisor Admits He Invented War On Drugs to Suppress 'Anti-War Left and Black People'
" :lol: these people...

I appreciate it how Grayson attempts to present something he heared from the presentation (that the game is shorter) as a conclusion he reached via means of deductive logic: "Tyranny strikes me as a more direct sort of game", and it only took him 30 minutes for this strike to arrive. Now that's a real journalist.

He tactfully avoids citing the 20 hours figure, because we don't want to turn off a potential player. The instinct not to accidentally "trigger" your audience is honed to perfection.

Also, this is the second preview I read where the writer develops the argument "You know this game I used to claim is perfect? Weeell, it's really not all that perfect, but look at this new game - this one is sure to be much more perfecter." Pathetic hacks.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It may be that he wasn't told it was 20 hours. Usually developers refuse to supply an exact figure so many journalists might not even bother asking.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It may be that he wasn't told it was 20 hours. Usually developers refuse to supply an exact figure so many journalists might not even bother asking.
Never assume incompetence when moral corruption is the more ready answer, this being game 'journalists' and all.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I found enjoyment in Dragon Age 2, I'm sure I can enjoy Tyranny as well.

The best news from the previews is the classless system and the short game length, which suggest pretty deep choices and consequences - or maybe it's just a very low budget game. :D

Having chargen choices affect the world is cool, but I can't help to wonder if that development time wouldn't have been put to better use implementing in-game choices instead. We'll see.

Rewarding extreme friendship/hatred levels with companions, over the top companion combo attacks, improve skills by grinding usage... not a big fan. You would think making a companion hate you would cause him to leave or attack, not give him a Super Rage Bonus.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If this were a Josh Sawyer game, wartime rape would definitely be prevalent in the world. Will a Joshless Obsidian project have the guts to include it?????????

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Would Josh really put rape in it? FNV has rape victims but that is about it.

He would likely not give you the option to rape a NPC, no, but he would be extremely likely to include rape as a theme.

I think it would be a missed opportunity for an evil RPG to not allow you to have the option to nod approvingly or bring the hammer down on a group that went full Russia-on-East-Germany in their conquest, and I'm sure he'd agree.

Josh said:
Fallout's recurring theme is "War never changes." Rape is an element of war (often a conscious and intentional tool of war) and is often an element of post-apocalyptic fiction used to show the depravity of humanity in the absence of law (e.g. The Road Warrior features rape directly, albeit viewed through a telescope). F:NV features two major powers engaged in an extremely brutal conflict with myriad small groups (like the Fiends) taking advantage of the chaos. They engage in a full spectrum of cruelty against each other including crucifixion, limb mutilation, torture, booby trapping wounded soldiers (and corpses), mass irradiation, enslavement, and yes, rape.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I bet the learn-by-use skills are on a really small power curve, you'll probably be able to switch to something that relies on an undeveloped skill late in the game without becoming useless. The skills will just add a few new active abilities/chance-on-hit-effects to use alongside your main toolkit, which is expanded via traditional leveling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom