Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lingwe's List of Fanboy Defenses

Lingwe

Liturgist
Have you ever watched the development of a game that you are looking forward to so much that you are willing to label it as "the best game EVAR!"?

Has some negative nancy ever come along and tried to argue that there may be some parts of the game that will be less than perfect?

Didn't know how to answer him because all of his points were grounded in logic, reason, and supporting evidence?

Well with Lingwe's List of Fanboy Defenses now you too can argue without using any substance or thought just like a real fanboy. Just take any one of these Fanboy Defense Styles, alter the wording somewhat to make it seem like you are presenting a completely new and never before stated sentence and then smack them down. Soon enough that negative nancy will be so tired and pissed off with your lack of common sense that he'll leave you and your upcoming game alone.

For a limited time only you can get free preview of Lingwe's List of Fanboy Defenses.

Fanboy Defense Style #1 - It'll be good because the developers said so.

Fanboy Defense Style #2 - There is a year to go in development and everything you are worried about will be fixed.

Fanboy Defense Style #3 - If you don't like it so much then go make your own game.

Fanboy Defense Style #4 - Have you played the game yet? No. Then shut up.

Fanboy Defense Style #5 - Mods will fix everything.

Fanboy Defense Style #6 - All I'm asking for is you to give them a chance.

Fanboy Defense Style #7 - They've learnt from their mistakes.

Fanboy Defense style #8 - You can't have everything.

Fanboy Defense Style #9 - if you don't like the game then why do you spend all day posting about it?

But wait, there's more. For a limited time only we have two extra Fanboy Defense Styles to be used only when discussing the upcoming Bethesda title - Fallout 3. These Defense Styles custom tailored to use against older Fallout fans who for some reason refuse to acknowledge Fallout 3 as the best game in the series.

Fallout 3 Fanboy Defense Style #1 - You just want a Fallout expansion.

Fallout 3 Fanboy Defense Style #2 - Times change and you are dumb for not embracing it.

And there you have it. Using Lingwe's List of Fanboy Defenses you'll never run out of inane, baseless, repeated ad naeuseum arguments. You can even combine different defense styles to confuse your enemy.

"It'll be good because the developers said so, besides can't you just give them a chance?"
"There is still plenty of time for them to change that thing that isn't good, even if they don't the modding community will fix it for us anyway."
"You are asking for too much stuff and they're only human, if you think it is so easy then why don't you just go make your own game?"

Order now and you will receive a CD filled with Lingwe's List of Fanboy Defenses for only $5! What a bargain! $5! That's right, only $5! $5! This price is never to be repeated! $5!.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Lingwe said:
Order now and you will receive a CD filled with Lingwe's List of Fanboy Defenses for only $5! What a bargain! $5! That's right, only $5! $5! This price is never to be repeated!

Hang on - I'm pretty certain you did repeat the price...

Lingwe said:
Order now and you will receive a CD filled with Lingwe's List of Fanboy Defenses for only $5! What a bargain! $5! That's right, only $5! $5! This price is never to be repeated! $5!.

You did - see - just after you said it would never be repeated too! Sheesh. What a bald faced liar. Want a job in PR?

Lingwe

Liturgist
you did - see - just after you said it would never be repeated too! Sheesh. What a bald faced liar. Want a job in PR?

Look I might not be perfect but if you dimiss my work before giving me a chance then you might never see anything come from it again. Besides I think you are asking for an unreasonable amount of things.

Longshanks

Augur
What, only 8?

They've certainly been getting a working out on the Fallout 3 boards.

Missing an "it" in #3.
How about: "That's just your opinion.", the one size fits all defence.

Lingwe

Liturgist
What, only 8?

Yeah, as it is some of them come quite close to each other already. E.g you could combine #2 with #7 or #6 with #7 and they both mean kind of similar things. Although I believe that there should be one extra addition.

But wait, there's more. If your enemy refuses to leave you and your game alone then this Fanboy Defense Style is perfect for you.

Fanboy Defense Style #9 - if you don't like the game then why do you spend all day posting about it?

With this thoroughly overused cliche you'll be sure to make your enemy look like a fool. Order now.

They've certainly been getting a working out on the Fallout 3 boards.

That's true. There are still some of us over there fighting the good fight and reminding Bethesda there are still people that hate them, but the numbers are beginning to swing against us.

Missing an "it" in #3.

Edited.

How about: "That's just your opinion.", the one size fits all defence.

Can't say I really see this one too often. Probably because for fanboys your opinion is wrong and it is up to them to change it.

Longshanks

Augur
Lingwe said:
What, only 8?
Yeah, as it is some of them come quite close to each other already. E.g you could combine #2 with #7 or #6 with #7 and they both mean kind of similar things.
That was meant to be a joke, hint: Spacemoose. :wink:

Lingwe said:
That is a very common one.

Lingwe said:
That's true. There are still some of us over there fighting the good fight and reminding Bethesda there are still people that hate them, but the numbers are beginning to swing against us.
Yeah, starting too. Though, as you point out, there are few who seem like real fans, many seem to be there to kick against the evil anti-Bethesdians.

stargelman

Scholar
Lingwe said:
That actually is a good question. If you know that a game will suck because it is made by a certain developer, why waste your time with it?

Any comments, Brother None? ;)

Longshanks

Augur
Take a look on the Bethesda boards, it has been answered over and over.

Possible for someone to have an interest in a game, even if not certain it'll be good, especially if they're fans of the originals.

Or, the opposite reason that those who are sure the game will be good are posting on it. They're there to offer their support, those who don't think it'll be good are there to offer their criticism.

Then again, some are sure the game will be a bad sequel, though still think it may be fun or even good as a standalone game, so they're there to criticise it as a sequel, but still want to monitor its development, as they may buy it.

Deleted member 7219

What about,

"Oblivion was awesome so Fallout 3 will be awesome too."

MountainWest

Scholar
Two very good defenses are useable when a game's out. You put up a break point X and then use one of the following:

1. You've only played the game for <X hours? And you come here bitching about it?! You know fuck shit about the game!!! looool, what a loooooser!!!

2. How come you've invested >X hours in the game if hou hate it so much?! Huh? looool, what a looooooooser!!!!

Longshanks

Augur
stargelman said:
Yeah right, Longshanks. I bet it has nothing whatsoever to do with poking fun at people and making fanboys cry Razz
Well, I'd never condone such behaviour, but I do enjoy comments on the game's official board like that quoted below.

im happy a new fallouts on the way its been a while but i am gettin bored of this forum its very clique and happy people just get stomped on.

Top Hat

Scholar
denizsi said:
Why do we have shit like this in General RPG Discussion?

Well, General Discussion is full of it. So it kind of leaked out, I guess.

My suggestion: ignore it, or even better turn it into a discussion about taxation in RPGs because apparently thread derailment is all the rage.

Why aren't adventurers taxed in RPGs? I guess it is because it is no fun. However, if you keep getting money from selling things and doing quests and only lose money to merchants (who usually don't have good stuff that you won't find lying around for free anyway) which will no doubt get stolen.

Economies don't work that way, and adventurers make a lot of mess. They also earn a lot of money. Where's the medieval IRS agents to hound you with a +3 Audit of Poverty?

Cassidy

Arcane
If even a lawful good paladin doesn't pay taxes, why would my typically "chaotic" character do so instead of going "Down with The Man! Way to go Tax Evasion!"? It would be interesting though to use a "bribe" subset from persuade skill to evade taxes and such.

Top Hat

Scholar
Cassidy said:
If even a lawful good paladin doesn't pay taxes, why would my typically "chaotic" character do so instead of going "Down with The Man! Way to go Tax Evasion!"? It would be interesting though to use a "bribe" subset from persuade skill to evade taxes and such.

Well, when the tax man cometh to audit you, you just yell out "THEN PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!" and murder them.

Also, if paladins are religious fighters, then they probably get tax exemption.

Warning: unfunny joke approaching!

Also, shouldn't evasion of taxes come under the "dodge" skill?

More seriously, in general there seems to be far too many money sources and far too few money sinks in RPGs. I guess The Witcher is good in this sense because it keeps you poor, but having not played it I don't know.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Cassidy said:

I'm presuming that Paladins (and Clerics for that matter) would be expected to pay alms instead. As for tax evasion it could fall under a subset of the persuade skill as you suggest (possibly acompanied by a few points alignment shift toward chaotic), though I'd also quite like to see some kind of 'creative accounting' skill (subset of diplomacy, perhaps) that would allow for more lawful evil type characters to get away with flauting the law, without completely ignoring it. Kieth Richards is classed as lawful evil, right?

obediah

Erudite
A better version of #3 is the

"How many perfect games have you made? Unless you are a skilled game developer you have no right to criticize ____".

As a bonus it works for movies, books, automobiles, just about anything.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
obediah said:
A better version of #3 is the

"How many perfect games have you made? Unless you are a skilled game developer you have no right to criticize ____".

As a bonus it works for movies, books, automobiles, just about anything.

I love that one, 'cause it gives me an excuse to reply with "Lol Ebert's law, fuckface."

Section8

Cipher
I love that one, 'cause it gives me an excuse to reply with "Lol Ebert's law, fuckface."

...to which you get "lol whats a ebert is that like if bert and ernie had a kid. lol gay"

And then how do you respond?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
In that case, I walk away quickly.

That, or "draw, rogue, or I shall so carbonado your shanks!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom