Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher - 20% of the original English script cut

Ausir

Arcane
Maybe it crashes because it looks for the long version of the spoken dialogues and doesn't find it?

Lethal Weapon

Novice
Maybe. On the other hand, why would they include such an option in the ini? Unless it's a leftover.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Ausir said:
Maybe it crashes because it looks for the long version of the spoken dialogues and doesn't find it?

No, changing the ini file does nothing, as the subtitles are manually in the 2da00.bif file, and they are all FinalEnglish_Short. I went into the dialog00.bif file and started to copy the FinalEnglish dialogs in, (interesting tidbit: there is also an "English" script, which is different from the other two scripts) which resulted in the game crashing. As I didn't make a backup, I have to restart the game. Again, waiting for the toolset so I can do this in a stable fashion.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Lesifoere said:
I'm not getting tired of him at all, just not fond of a few recent offerings (Night Watch was meh, Monstrous Regiment better but still not as good as some others, Wintersmith is meh^2).
I kinda agree about Monstrous Regiment, it was good but not excellent. I didn't read Wintersmith since I read it was Children's Discworld. However, Night Watch?! Night Watch is one of his best books. Thud! as I mentioned is very recent and also one of his best books.

hiciacit

Liturgist
I also tried changing the ini to the long version, and never noticed a difference. Except for one dialogue in Act3 (I think it was a conversation with that knight looking for his sister in the Narakort Inn). Probably a buggy line or something though.
If anyone finds a solution, I'd be happy to know.

psycojester

Arbiter
Lesifoere said:
My other current gripe would be with Tiffany Aching because as a character, she bores me to tears and she's too damn OMG!sensible!amazing for me to bear, even taking into consideration that she's written to feature in the supposedly-for-children books.

I'm with you on Tiffany, i think that Terry was trying really hard to create a good role-model character for kids to look up to, and went a bit to far and created a flawless Mary Sue that everybody wants to fucking drown.

Atrokkus

Erudite
My buddy who works at the Russian publishing/localization company which translated and released Witcher in Russia/CIS, tells me that he had three versions -- original CDPROjekt english, cut english for Atari and Polish right before him, and his team had russian-polish translators and they all agree that the english script is indeed very truncated. (basically, Russian version is based on the original English version (not the Atari version), and then further edited by comparing it to Polish original).

sad indeed.

kingcomrade said:
Lesifoere said:
I'm not getting tired of him at all, just not fond of a few recent offerings (Night Watch was meh, Monstrous Regiment better but still not as good as some others, Wintersmith is meh^2).
I kinda agree about Monstrous Regiment, it was good but not excellent. I didn't read Wintersmith since I read it was Children's Discworld. However, Night Watch?! Night Watch is one of his best books. Thud! as I mentioned is very recent and also one of his best books.

Agreed. Some of his latest work is some of the best he's ever done, and some of it's just awful. The Moist books... Going Postal just felt like a rehash of The Truth, and Making Money just wasn't very good at all. And there's at least one more coming.

dunduks

Liturgist
2 Atrokkus
Is the russian version better then english? I've heard it has rather mediocre/terrible voice acting. Is it worth getting?

Sentenza

Scholar
Atrokkus said:
My buddy who works at the Russian publishing/localization company which translated and released Witcher in Russia/CIS, tells me that he had three versions -- original CDPROjekt english, ....

Now, the question is, how can I get my hands on it?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Atrokkus said:
My buddy who works at the Russian publishing/localization company which translated and released Witcher in Russia/CIS, tells me that he had three versions -- original CDPROjekt english, cut english for Atari and Polish right before him, and his team had russian-polish translators and they all agree that the english script is indeed very truncated. (basically, Russian version is based on the original English version (not the Atari version), and then further edited by comparing it to Polish original).

sad indeed.
It surprises me, that they translated from english to russian(therefore translated from errors which can be present in english version), not from original polish to russian. I can't get why....
Are you sure russian > atari english?

Lethal Weapon

Novice
I updated my original post since some of the links are now invalid. It is normal that old posts get deleted at gamefaqs, but Sande Chen's post confirming the butchering has mysteriously disappeared from the TW official site and her subsequent posts were altered to give a false picture, eg that there was never an unedited script.

Sande Chen said:
...it's not like there was an entire Polish script and an entire English translation available to us...

On the other hand, it has by now been confirmed by several independent sources that the original script is on the game disc. The file dialog00.bif that contains all three versions of the script has been unpacked and we can now make direct comparisons.

A: original script
B: improved script
C: cut script

A. Don't make me laugh, Geralt. Simplicity suits you like a fist fits a nose, and sentimentality suits you even less. You can't deny that. You're too smart. Apart from that, who do you want to defend? Folest? A monarch who has more sins on his conscience than Phed has long words in his vocabulary?
B. Don't make me laugh, Geralt. Simplicity suits you like a fist in a nose and sentimentality suits you even less. You can't deny that. You're too smart. Besides, who do you want to defend? Foltest? A monarch with more sins on his conscience than Professor has long words in his vocabulary
C. Who are you fighting for? Foltest? A monarch with more sins on his conscience than Professor has words in his vocabulary?

A. You're right. Mine was a rhetorical question. So if not Foltest, then who? The Lodge of Sorceresses? You know nothing about it. You may be sleeping with Merigold, but you have no idea what those bitches are capable of. I can tell you they had quite a bit of influence on the postwar treaties. The resettlements, deportations, the unresolved matter of the Scoia'tael and others...
C. If not Foltest, then who? The Lodge of the Sorceresses? You know not what those bitches do to influence postwar treaties. The resettlements, deportations, the unresolved matter of the Scoia'tael, and others...

A. Then he disappeared, just like that. He wandered around that damnable tower. Perhaps he encountered a very powerful monster?
C. Then he disappeared. Perhaps he encountered a powerful monster?

A. Shouldn't answer a question with a question. Saw somebody like you recently. I asked the reverend who it was. Never learned his name, but I know he tried to get in the city.
B. Should never answer a question with another. Saw one like you recently and asked the reverend who it was. Never learned his name, but I know he wished to enter the city.
C. Saw one like you recently and asked the reverend. Never learned his name, but he wished to enter the city.

A. Apart from that, during the war he cared only for his crown, allowing Nilfgaard to plunder and torch the neighboring kingdoms he had made alliances with. Simple people are dying of hunger there to this day. Is he worth fighting for?
B. Furthermore, during the war, he cared only for his crown, allowing Nilfgaard to plunder and torch neighboring allied kingdoms. Simple people are dying of hunger there to this day. Is he worth fighting for?
C. Furthermore, during the war, he allowed Nilfgaard to plunder and torch neighboring allied kingdoms.

A. I see you don't learn from your mistakes. But that's not determination, that's just stupidity. Want me to surprise you? Fine. Remember the magic book from the Tower in the swamp? Observe some useful spells you gave me...
C. Remember the magic book from the Tower in the swamp? Observe some spells...

A. You, simple? Don't make me laugh, Geralt. But that's meaningless. Nothing will change, except for the fact that there will be one witcher less.
C. Nothing will change, except there'll be one witcher less.

A. The mage's tower? What good is human magic? Fireworks and jugglers' tricks, that's all. I doubt the tower's worth your while. Ask Yaevin, he was interested in that building.
B. The mage's tower? What good is human magic? Fireworks and jugglers' tricks, nothing more. The tower's hardly worth your while. However, ask Yaevinn. He showed interest in that building.
C. What good is human magic? Tricks, nothing more. However, Yaevinn showed interest in that building.

A. Angular houses, dirty streets. The place lacks the beauty that inevitably surrounds my people.
B. Stocky houses, dirty streets. The place lacks the beauty that inevitably surrounds my people.
C. This place lacks the beauty that normally surrounds my people.

A. It chiefly enables conversations over relatively short distances. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it. If the Salamanders were using it to communicate with headquarters, they'll have no problem localizing it...
B. It allows conversations over relatively short distances. The Salamanders may've used it to communicate with headquarters. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it
C. It allows conversations over short distances. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it.

A. Cherry vodka for Dandelion, rose wine for me... and something for you.
C. Cherry vodka, rose wine... and something for you.

A. You see this mess all around? Bandits, monsters, and city hall barely does anything. No one knows where decisions are made or who is responsible.
B. Look around: Bandits, monsters, and.... No one knows who's responsible or where to make decisions. City hall is silent.
C. Look around: Bandits, monsters, and... City hall is silent.

A. True, but the situation now is nothing like Oxenfurt. Ah, college days!
C. This is nothing like Oxenfurt.

A. Tell me, is there a chance I'll recover? Tell me!
B. Tell me, have I the chance to recover? Speak true!
C. Have I a chance to recover?

Note that only the most vital information has been retained. Less important information, the characters' feelings and thoughts, the humor, the lore have been omitted, as well as anything else 'superfluous'. People who have played both versions also report that the cuscenes too were heavily edited (obviously to match the cut script), resulting in a final loss of the body language and atmospherics in general. The apparent lack of VA direction in the English version didn't help either. Other translations like German and Spanish were done from the cut English script.

That TW remains a good game even after Atari's poor attempt at localization is a miracle in itself. Just imagine if something similar were to happen to, say, Mass Effect. As it is now, a part of the world plays a better version than the rest. Since the original script is on the disc, it seems that the day the full English subs will be modded into the Polish dialogues is not far off - better than nothing.

MasPingon

Arcane
I'm playing english version now and I got to say english voiceovers are MUCH better then polish, so don't expect too much.

Lethal Weapon

Novice
MasPingon said:
I'm playing english version now and I got to say english voiceovers are MUCH better then polish, so don't expect too much.

I'm not so much interested in the voiceovers -judging them is highly subjective anyway- but in the full dialogues and the overall quality of the cutscenes. Regarding the voiceovers, I have played the Polish version for something like half an hour (I can't speak Polish), but the Polish actor voicing Geralt strikes me as much better. The English actor sounds like he's trying too hard and his voice is flat in comparison. But I would gladly play with the full dialogues and no voiceovers whatsoever.

dragonfk

Erudite
MasPingon said:
but the Polish actor voicing Geralt strikes me as much better overall,

Yeah, it's the only thing I liked better in polish voiceovers. It makes this scene so outstanding(since 3:40)

Which scene?

So only Poles, Russians and Czechs are playing with uncat version?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
MasPingon said:
but the Polish actor voicing Geralt strikes me as much better overall,

Yeah, it's the only thing I liked better in polish voiceovers. It makes this scene so outstanding(since 3:40)

Edit-link fixed

Polish VOs are better - at least in this cutscene. This version is rather like really shitty dubbed anime. Also "lice-ridden-peasant" is moar like "lice-ridden-(mother)fucker" in polish version.

Geralt is teh HARDC0RZORZ!!!1

Deleted member 7219

Atrokkus said:
original CDPROjekt english

Wait, so there IS a full English version out there somewhere? Oh, but I suppose it isn't voiced... :(

Lethal Weapon

Novice
Matt7895 said:
there IS a full English version out there somewhere? Oh, but I suppose it isn't voiced...

It is on the game disc and no, it isn't voiced. I even posted a few examples a few posts above, sheesh.

Twinfalls

Erudite
What a travesty. The cut version even manages to be clunkier, with its idiotic use of "however"s and "furthermore"s, and reads less like actual speech. My copy of the game has been shelved until the first patch, now it'll stay shelved until the full script gets successfully unpacked. *fingers crossed*

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Damn, they really managed to rape that script. Well, I've got good hope somebody that knows what their doing manages to mod it in. Shouldn't be too difficult with the entire script on the cd right?

denizsi

Arcane
Final question is, can I get to play the game with English interface, original Polish VO and proper English subtitles?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom