Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Erd facing Queen Bee? I theorized her powers are about mind controlling/charming others to some decree and make them do her bidding. That would explain her sudden rise to power. Her powers won't of course work on other females so that's why I'm voting B2. But it would be funny to read her trying to work and charm Erd.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Tally:
Azira B1 > A1
lightbane B1
Nevil B1
Storyfag B1
Kz3r0 C2
Grimgravy A1
Gobblecock A1
Baltika9 A1
archaen A1
Esquilax B2
Tome B2
ScubaV B1
Jester B1
Lambchop B1 > A1
Wjw A1 > C1

A1 5
B1 7
B2 2
C2 1

Or

A 5
B 9
C 1

1 12
2 3

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I don't mind Erdrick doing the challenging but I would prefer Rin does it while Erdrick goes around slipping laxatives to everyone's food.

wjw

Augur
I think B1 is the worst option. Queen Bee is aiming to get out of the system, and so are we. Rather than meeting her in battle we should try to get on her side.
Since she is so ambitious it should be obvious that she knows who to play the challenging game and is prepped for a low karma creep like us.

In doing so, A1 seems to be the safe option. (and will probably give us access to Queen Bee) .
C1 is a bold plan, that could hugely backfire. At least we would get to meet the Warden. This is a huge plus.
We should indeed try to lvl Rin up, by picking easy fights for her (after we lvld up ofcourse) So...

A1 > C1

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Queen Bee is aiming to get out of the system, and so are we. Rather than meeting her in battle we should try to get on her side.
It took her 6 years to get where she is. By setting her back to where she began, we will leave sticking to us as her only reasonable way out.

The choice of 'spend another 6 years to recoup the losses' and 'join me and you are out next week' is an easy one to make, no? And we establish ourselves as dominant in our relationship so that she does not get any ideas.

I do not see this precluding a future cooperation. Depends on how we play this.

lightbane

Arcane
What will happen if we win is that said Crooked Bee will join Erd's increasing number of Female Acquaintances He'll Never Get to Bang (TM), or FAHNGB. In any case, it would be really that surprising if she's an actual monster girl of some kind.

wjw

Augur
The choice of 'spend another 6 years to recoup the losses' and 'join me and you are out next week' is an easy one to make, no? And we establish ourselves as dominant in our relationship so that she does not get any ideas.

I do not see this precluding a future cooperation. Depends on how we play this.

Maybe. She is still completely prepared for a low karma angel like us. Also, i am not too sure if we are up for the challenge.
I still think the 'middle road' is the worst option. Either we aim big and make a name for ourselves challenging the warden. Or we aim low and try to figure out the basics of this place.
This place reminds me of Space Rangers.

Nevill

Arcane
She is still completely prepared for a low karma angel like us. Also, i am not too sure if we are up for the challenge.
The Warden is even more prepared. That does not deter us.

All three choices are absolutely valid strategies. There is no 'worse one'. It's the endless debate between what style is more effective, the Builder or the Momentum one. But there is nothing saying that the extremes are any better than anything in-between - they just present us with a different sets of problems to solve.

* regarding preparedness - no one eems to have attempted this method in ages. I doubt anyone would be prepared for it when we do it first. That might actrually be the one thing that could help against the Warden.

** an angel's worth is not measured in karma. In fact, looking at how pointedly the other inmates avoid talking about us, I'd say that being challenged by one is not something you usually plan for.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Voting Game

So, you are the ambitious little fellow who has challenged me, hm?

The sweet feminine voice emanates from the center of your own head, seeping and oozing through the cracks of your mind thickly like honey across toast. There is a underlying buzz – not entirely unpleasant to the ear – that permeates the words. You have no doubt that her tone is specifically designed to elicit arousal and delight in men, though unfortunately it has absolutely no effect on you whatsoever. All that the voice’s smooth, alluring notes do is to remind you that your physiological problem appears to be entirely unsolvable. It troubles you. It troubles you a lot.

“Queen Bee, I presume?” you say, keeping your despair in careful check, willing none of it to slip between your lips. “Are you near here?” You glance around but see no one but prisoners and Rin, happily breaking the arms of a wolfman who had decided to get a bit too close for her comfort. Her delighted face suddenly droops in despair as the system presumably reports her dropping karma to her ears.

Why would I deign to descend to the first level? The reply came haughtily. This is telepathy facilitated by the tower, to allow the challenged to inform the challenger of the nature of the match. That is the only reason I am speaking to you, lowlife.

You probe with your senses and detect the stirrings of magic that have established a mental channel between you and your opponent. It is too faint for you to track, but it is there nonetheless – she is not lying. “And what mighty challenge would you set before me?” you ask casually.

We will have a voting game. The voice sounds pleased, confident. The voters will be… every inhabitant of this prison. The tower itself will convey the message to every single prisoner and guard once the game commences. They will vote for you, or for me. If you defeat me in the number of votes, then you will have won the challenge. If I win, on the other hand, then you will receive what you deserve.

“Sounds like I win either way, if I’m going to get what I deserve.”

You are not taking this very seriously, are you?

Slight exasperation, but not enough to be considered a breakthrough. You are also unable to rule out the possibility of play-acting to get you to misunderstand her personality. Pressing on, you push for more details.

The duration of the voting will be three days. You will be allowed to canvass for votes as you wish. Of course, I will do the same with all the influence I have. Everything else is subject to the usual regulations of the tower. Basically, besides the addition of a single vote for every inhabitant, nothing will change in their daily life.

“I see, I see. Are those all the rules?” you ask.

Those are all the rules. Oh, you won’t be able to back out now even if you wanted to. The moment you made the challenge your fate was sealed.

“Confident, aren’t you? But these are some really boring rules.”

This is all you will get. Even I cannot ask for something against the rules of the system.

The voice takes on a malicious tone. You know full well what she means; you spotted the greatest challenge for you the moment she spoke it. Following the regulations of the tower, being a resident of the first floor, you do not have access to the higher floors… but as a resident of the fourth floor, she can access every floor below hers. This means that Queen Bee is able to directly gather support from four levels of inhabitants compared to your one. The imbalance in the population of potential voters is the largest hurdle you will have to overcome.

“What if I ask for something that isn’t against the rules?” you venture.

Such as?

“A public display of the current tally.”

And why would you want such a thing? She was suspicious.

“Oh, only to ensure that your humiliation is in full view of everyone,” you laugh.

Has the thought never crossed your mind that you might be the one being humiliated?

“As if I would lose a child’s game such as this.”

A child’s game… so that is how you think of this, eh? Very well. I see no harm in allowing you your little wish. Don’t be surprised if you end up receiving in backlash the fruits of your schemes, whatever it is.

“Thanks-“

You sense the mental channel snap shut. Now that you are looking out for it, you are aware of its existence, like a door closed just waiting to be opened.

You sigh. It looks like you have gotten into something more troublesome than you had expected. You had only wanted a quick route up and out of the prison. A three-day long game is more than you had bargained for… but if you wanted to survive, you would have to win this match even with the odds heavily stacked against you.

The mental channel is still present, and probably will be for the duration of the match. Perhaps you can do something with it:

A. You constantly open it and harass – no, converse with Queen Bee.

B. You leave it shut. There is nothing to talk about, you will do your gloating after you have won.

There are a few approaches you can take for the first day, though you do not think you will have enough time to carry them all out. Not all of them will be fruitful, and not all of them will bear fruit immediately… (Pick three)

I. Attempt to persuade the guards to support you.
II. Attempt to persuade the prisoners on the first floor to support you.
III. Look into magically manipulating the way the system records votes.
IV. Look into magically manipulating the way the prisoners vote.
V. Try to find a way to slip into the upper floors without falling foul of the security.
VI. Search for more information about Queen Bee.
VII. Attempt to tweak the telepathic channel to be used for scrying instead.
VIII. Sleep.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, the prisoners on the first floor have not a lot to lose from supporting you, but might stand something to gain by propelling you upwards and expecting you to return the favor in some way. Actually, not supporting an angel might turn out as a strictly worse proposition than the alternative. It's a safe approach, and you are likely to gain their votes without trying too much.

But it won't get you access to the higher floors.

The guards might come in handy here, but they are not interested in seeing you go up... potentially displacing them. In fact, they would probably be better off if you fail and disappear from the system, because guarding angels is a hazard.

Hmmm... Trying to get to the upper floors might be something worthwhile, but how would you campaign for yourself without being noticed and cast down?

Tempted to converse with Queen Bee to throw her off her game... but if we are doing something illegal, that might irritate her enough to make her pay attention to what we are doing, and then sell us out...

Esquilax

Arcane
Obviously, since we are (unfortunately) immune to Queen Bee's mental trickery, we should keep the channel on and keep harassing her. The downside of this, however, is that she might decide to come down here after all, though I doubt she can really attempt to attack us or anything since that would go against the terms of the challenge.

Now, the odds are very clearly stacked against us. We are competing in a popularity contest against a high CHA opponent who we can't even directly compete against because we can't go to the higher floors. That's why I think we ought to eschew clean ways of winning and instead direct our efforts entirely towards cheating and/or gaining a psychological edge against Queen Bee. She is obviously quite vain, and I suspect rather insecure and easy to rattle. I think that, with a little bit of instigating, she can be distracted.

treave, about the mental channel, can we read each other's thoughts periodically if we pick A? Obviously, attempting election fraud while we have the mental channel open where she might hear a few things is not the brightest idea (though we've had dumber ones).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, about the mental channel, can we read each other's thoughts periodically if we pick A?

No, it's restricted towards communication purposes only.

But it might be possible for Erdrick to work on a way to hack it for spying, though there is no guarantee it'll give you immediate results. I'll add an extra option to the list. Given that you only have three days to work with you might want to consider your options carefully though.

Nevill

Arcane
We are competing in a popularity contest against a high CHA opponent
I think our CHA is bigger and meaner.

latest
That's why I think we ought to eschew clean ways of winning and instead direct our efforts entirely towards cheating and/or gaining a psychological edge against Queen Bee.
Still in favor of getting the support of the first floor. We will need some people to actually vote for us to win.

She is obviously quite vain, and I suspect rather insecure and easy to rattle.
Good approach, actuially. If we get her to act irrationally and do something stupid, perhaps this could swing the contest in our favor. Is the first floor really the best place for it, though?

Hmmm... I wonder if there are some people she left behind when ascending.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, about the mental channel, can we read each other's thoughts periodically if we pick A?

No, it's restricted towards communication purposes only.

But it might be possible for Erdrick to work on a way to hack it for spying, though there is no guarantee it'll give you immediate results. I'll add an extra option to the list. Given that you only have three days to work with you might want to consider your options carefully though.

I was more concerned about whether our activities could be more easily detected and then reported to the guards by her. Spying on her doesn't seem quite so helpful here because as it stands, she could simply sit on her ass and collect votes without much trouble.

Btw, what is the "Sleep" option here for?

Nevill

Arcane
My approach would be A) with a combination of the following:
II. Attempt to persuade the prisoners on the first floor to support you.
III. Look into magically manipulating the way the system records votes.
V. Try to find a way to slip into the upper floors without falling foul of the security.
VI. Search for more information about Queen Bee.

What was the option to let Aria fight TopKek for? Probably for lulz! :?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I was more concerned about whether our activities could be more easily detected and then reported to the guards by her.

Not via the telepathic channel. She might send minions down to keep tabs on you, that's always a possibility.

To get in touch with your inner ANGELZ. :M

lightbane

Arcane
Finally, an update! Oh wait, a voting game? With the Codex? We are doomed!
:negative:
I only wanted to see some of old-fashioned ultraviolence, but I suppose it was about time we got our first Bad End.

The sweet feminine voice emanates from the center of your own head, seeping and oozing through the cracks of your mind thickly like honey across toast. There is a underlying buzz – not entirely unpleasant to the ear – that permeates the words. You have no doubt that her tone is specifically designed to elicit arousal and delight in men, though unfortunately it has absolutely no effect on you whatsoever. All that the voice’s smooth, alluring notes do is to remind you that your physiological problem appears to be entirely unsolvable. It troubles you. It troubles you a lot.

That mention of Erd's mind having fractures sounds troubling. It's like at some point he suffered a mind-shattering trauma, like a harrowing training from hell itself... Oh wait, he did so, as a Hero.
Also, Queen Bee is probably some sort of demon, specifically a Succubus. I bet Erdrick knows from personal experience.

Rin, happily breaking the arms of a wolfman who had decided to get a bit too close for her comfort. Her delighted face suddenly droops in despair as the system presumably reports her dropping karma to her ears.

What's Rin's score btw? Can we ask her to vote for us?

Basically, besides the addition of a single vote for every inhabitant, nothing will change in their daily life.

That reminds me: what's the daily routine for the first level's prisoners, treave?

EDITED:

Votes:
A. You constantly open it and harass – no, converse with Queen Bee.
I. Attempt to persuade the guards to support you.
IV. Look into magically manipulating the way the prisoners vote.
VIII. Sleep.

The latter might give us nothing except losing more points, but perhaps Mercant can get laid in his own dream or something.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By making the vote public, there might be someone in the higher floors, cross with Queen Bee, who would vote for Erdrick. Could also work in reverse.
At least it makes it easy to assess whether we're making headway or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom