Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Cromwell

Arcane
If you believe the internal discussions, it is because Dreamfall was pirated to the end of the universe and back and management got scared of single player games..
Tell your management that they are stupid, and bring their attention to the fact that the biggest sellers of the industry are single player games (with occaisonal multiplayer elements). Skyrim, GTA , The Witcher 3. The days when MMOs were the biggest sellers are over.

Please dont point them to these games. plase..dont.

J1M

Arcane
Gave this thing a try. Filled out the first ring of hammer abilities since the starting area is full of melee mobs that move fast and hammers had a decent aoe ability.

Any recommendations on an alternate play style to try?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any recommendations on an alternate play style to try?
I found Pistols & Shotgun very serviceable for a DPS build, and unless things have changed, DPS is very efficient for doing content by yourself. I also made a tanky build (Sword/Hammer) and a support/healing build (Blood/Elemental). Both shone in groups but were slower in solo play.

look around the wheel for passives with "every time you hit/crit/penetrate" or which do extra to weakened/impaired/afflicted, depends on what hammers inflict the most.
i use pistols, they have an elite which hits a lot and for huge damage, with a skill which gives +40% crit chance and a bunch of passives which do stuff whenever i crit. i can't tank for shit but i'm sort of satisfied with my damage output.
now all i need is something better than my ql 10 blue gear and don't know to look other then the monsterly overpriced faction shops which sell ql 10.1 purples.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
look around the wheel for passives with "every time you hit/crit/penetrate" or which do extra to weakened/impaired/afflicted, depends on what hammers inflict the most.
i use pistols, they have an elite which hits a lot and for huge damage, with a skill which gives +40% crit chance and a bunch of passives which do stuff whenever i crit. i can't tank for shit but i'm sort of satisfied with my damage output.
now all i need is something better than my ql 10 blue gear and don't know to look other then the monsterly overpriced faction shops which sell ql 10.1 purples.
If you do the various issues I think you are rewarded with purple quality talismans, you also get purple quality weapon at the end of the vanilla game main story, and getting another purple one is affordable with the currency you get by the end.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Sword/chaos all the way.

Also - Issue #14 has some cool exploration of The Ankh and a creepy face-to-face with Dr. Klein.

DA118E29FAF95A5504E8DD5E4E29E6FE4D3266A6

J1M

Arcane
Couple of questions:
-Is every character in the game aware of the secret world? Seems like it.
-Why are random NPCs calling me a super hero when I've just met them?

Cromwell

Arcane
Couple of questions:
-Is every character in the game aware of the secret world? Seems like it.
-Why are random NPCs calling me a super hero when I've just met them?

You either meet civilians who became aware of the secret world because it suddenly hit them, or you meet npcs who know about it because they are in it for a long time or belong to one of the bigger factions. You have almost no contact to the outside world in the game since every area you will visit is closed off to the public.

which dungeons or other pugs group activity do still people play? i tried to queue for some normal/elites but i've waited for an eternity. the only thing i could reliably repeat have been the chimichanga whatsitsname pvp instance. i finished the main storyline, hit the paywall in tokyo and don't know what else to do.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
People treat you differently because you were raped by one of Gaia's bee's, making you both immortal and immensely powerful.

Best way to get dungeons groups is to join an active guild, population being what it is, it's hard to get pugs.

In terms of content, there's not much to do beyond grinding dungeon gear or doing any mission you might have missed.

The extra issues add not only a lot of story and missions, but also add new auxiliary weapon types, new game systems like aegis, which also increasing the max skill point cap you can save up.

In terms of quality of the content, the first extra issue is awesome, the Egypt one is so so, very Indiana Jones ripoff, the next one in transylvania introduces you to the big bad of the game and is somewhat of a James Bond story, the one after that is shit (venice), the it's all Tokyo until you go back to Egypt again for issue 14.

Tokyo is their worse zone design for me tho, the aegis system is a pain in the ass and a huge difficulty spike, the traversal has you constantly aggroing every mob in sight, even the graphics themselves seem worse.

sounds a lot like "time to uninstall". damn shame, there's nothing to substitute it with. i'm sick of elves and orcs =_=

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
which dungeons or other pugs group activity do still people play? i tried to queue for some normal/elites but i've waited for an eternity.
Isn't there a chat channel with a big community of helpful people who want to team all the time? bozia2012?

Just queuing up doesn't matter if no one knows you want to do a run. Get out there and sell it, baby.

i'm too old for that shit, i did enough of that in anarchy online and sometimes still do in warframe but only because it's a 30 seconds affair.
even warcraft, the bane of all good and right, got rid of that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
i'm too old for that shit, i did enough of that in anarchy online and sometimes still do in warframe but only because it's a 30 seconds affair.
If you are looking for a good grouping experience, then nothing can beat ff XIV, the grouping system is the best in any mmo, extremely fast, the dungeons are amazing, the classes are pretty cool, and the engine is incredibly optimized, runs very well even on low end machines.

It does have a subscription fee tho.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
which dungeons or other pugs group activity do still people play? i tried to queue for some normal/elites but i've waited for an eternity.
Isn't there a chat channel with a big community of helpful people who want to team all the time? bozia2012?

Just queuing up doesn't matter if no one knows you want to do a run. Get out there and sell it, baby.
Two important channels to keep:

#noobmares - group stuff for noobs

#event - current event related stuff

It's best to keep both of them added at all times by putting an auto_login file in \The Secret World\Scripts

just a txt file named "auto_login", without extension, with this inside

delay 1000
/chat join #event
/chat join #noobmares

Also #sanctuary for more general noob help.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
IMO MMOing is not fun without a fun guild though. If you're just grouping just to group then you (I) get bored and uninstall eventually. I mean, wiping actually is fun when you're with guild members you're good friends with.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
IMO MMOing is not fun without a fun guild though. If you're just grouping just to group then you (I) get bored and uninstall eventually. I mean, wiping actually is fun when you're with guild members you're good friends with.
I have a chill guild in TSW, but in AoC it's full hardcore - 4h boss training sessions and raid leader yelling at people included.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Don't think that applies to TSW. Game is very solo friendly and the community is great. I farmed most of my BB through PUG's and met a lot of cool people. Contrary to FFXIV where people start to whine after one wipe.

Cromwell

Arcane
I have a chill guild in TSW, but in AoC it's full hardcore - 4h boss training sessions and raid leader yelling at people included.

AOC is still active?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

AOC is still active?
There's is a hardcore following and updates are coming out once in a while - I have enough backlog to keep me occupied until next year. The new raid tier is still only beaten by Destiny and CoE and we (and a bunch of other guilds) is currently working on the last boss.

I still have fun running around, exploring stuff I missed and taking a lot of pics. Funcom created awesome worlds in AoC and TSW - I don't think I ever felt anything like that in case of older games with fleshed out worlds. It's just a complete package of art design, detailed environments and writing.

Cromwell

Arcane

AOC is still active?
There's is a hardcore following and updates are coming out once in a while - I have enough backlog to keep me occupied until next year. The new raid tier is still only beaten by Destiny and CoE and we (and a bunch of other guilds) is currently working on the last boss.

I still have fun running around, exploring stuff I missed and taking a lot of pics. Funcom created awesome worlds in AoC and TSW - I don't think I ever felt anything like that in case of older games with fleshed out worlds. It's just a complete package of art design, detailed environments and writing.

I know that my girlfriend loved to play that game and I am sure she would be happy to go back to it / play that with me (same as with tsw but since we play that mostly for story we only do it when a new issue is out). Are there any server recommodations where the community is more active?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom