Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain chats with Troika Chronicles

Sol Invictus

Erudite
No, he isn't strapped for cash - not with the huge financial backing that Vampire is receiving, and the hype that it's getting in the press for being the first game to utilize the Source Engine. The game may very well be released long before Half Life 2 ever appears on the market, too, if Valve keeps postponing their title for Steam related issues. Considering that Bloodlines will not be a multiplayer game, there won't be any need for Troika to postpone their project for any reason relating to Steam whatsoever.

I just think that he's putting an emphasis on the whole "Fallout" issue because his new game may very well be set in a post-apocalyptic scenario, which although isn't a part of the Fallout lore at this point in time, could possibly be made as such, if the acquisition of the Fallout license from Interplay proves successful. I do believe that if this is in fact the case, then he is simply warming us (the public) up to his upcoming, possibly post-apocalyptic/sci fi title so we know what to expect, and due to the sheer popularity of Fallout 3, anticipate this title as a possible unofficial sequel to the series, garnering Troika the customers who would have bought Fallout 3 had it never been cancled.

If so, it is indeed a clever play, and I wholly support his decision in doing so. It's hardly 'sneaky', considering his game is more likely to be a true successor to Fallout than any game made by Silver Style or anyone else, including the former Black Isle Studios.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exitium said:
I do believe that if this is in fact the case, then he is simply warming us (the public) up to his upcoming, possibly post-apocalyptic/sci fi title so we know what to expect, and due to the sheer popularity of Fallout 3, anticipate this title as a possible unofficial sequel to the series, garnering Troika the customers who would have bought Fallout 3 had it never been cancled.
Why would he need to do that? Unlike Carsten who needs to do all kinda tricks to make sure that dumb public associate Fall with Fallout, Tim Cain needs no such thing. All he needs to do is to announce a post-apoc game and within minutes the internet would go crazy "OMG! Tim is maeking Fallout 3". So, I don't think it's that, it's something else.

Sammael

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
All he needs to do is to announce a post-apoc game and within minutes the internet would go crazy
Funny. I didn't think half a dozen Codex/DAC regulars constitute the internet.

I think I can safely state that 99.99% of the internet gaming population doesn't know, nor care, who Tim Cain is. Maybe another 5% would get "excited" at a prospect of another FO game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I wouldn't go crazy about it either. Granted, I don't go crazy over anything (not that I recall) or anyone. I must say that I'd certainly look forward to it, though.

Fanboys suck.

Ghetto Goose

Novice
Well "gaming population" is counting the 8 year-olds who look for cheats on the internet so they can beat Shredder in that TMNT game.

Now if we're talking PC Gamers who play RPG's and read news on PCRPGs, THEN we got something Eh? Eh? Eh?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sammael said:
Vault Dweller said:
All he needs to do is to announce a post-apoc game and within minutes the internet would go crazy
Funny. I didn't think half a dozen Codex/DAC regulars constitute the internet.

I think I can safely state that 99.99% of the internet gaming population doesn't know, nor care, who Tim Cain is. Maybe another 5% would get "excited" at a prospect of another FO game.
I wasn't talking about the Codex/DAC regulars. Here is my logical chain:

1. A lot of people wanted Fallout 3 ("a lot" is a relative number, of course, let's say it's much less then the number of BG fans but more then the number of Arcanum fans)
2. Interplay failed to produce FO3 and fired the team
3. People asked "OMG! The team is gone! Who can possibly make Fo3 now?!!
4. People came up with 5 possible answers: Troika, Obsidian, InXile, Bioware, and self-proclaimed post-apoc spiritual leader Carsten.
5. Thus people learned of Tim Cain and Troika
6. In time people realized that only Troika (the original idea) and Obsidian (the last FO team) can make it.
7. Obsidian is busy making KOTOR 2
8. That makes Troika the only legitimate heir to the license and whatever's left of VB.
9. Even stupid people must realize that now.

Quite a theory, huh? :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Even that is more then just the Codex/Dac regulars. Don't forget that Fallout fans are known for mental instability, rabidness, and represent the whackiest part of the gaming population. :wink:

PS. Didn't you use to have something about being a proud member of the Fallout community or something?

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
I suspect that the primary reason that FO3 WILL NEVAR BE MAED is that no developer wants to reactivate the dormant FO fanbase again. It just ain't worth it.

Imagine that you're at work, right?

Right?

OK. So you're at work....maintaining the office IT system/ dealing with clients/ chopping logs/ serving up slices of moccachino cheesecake (etc).

You log onto the Internet and several thousand really, really strange people are micro-criticizing absolutely everything you do to make sure it fits into some totally arbitrary canon....no thanks.

Spazmo

Erudite
Reactivate? I wasn't aware we'd ever been deactivated. We just complain mostly about other things now.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Writers have to face the facts sometimes: they too have the potential to suck, due to caring more about "TEH MONIES" than about plot consistency.

Really now, who is at fault? The gamer for recognising those inconsistencies or the writer for throwing up a half-assed 'sequel' to his book/game/movie without any rhyme or reason?

Voss

Erudite
Monte Carlo said:
I suspect that the primary reason that FO3 WILL NEVAR BE MAED is that no developer wants to reactivate the dormant FO fanbase again. It just ain't worth it.

Imagine that you're at work, right?

Right?

OK. So you're at work....maintaining the office IT system/ dealing with clients/ chopping logs/ serving up slices of moccachino cheesecake (etc).

You log onto the Internet and several thousand really, really strange people are micro-criticizing absolutely everything you do to make sure it fits into some totally arbitrary canon....no thanks.

Thousand?
More like a couple hundred. And they aren't all that strange. Just sad, pathetic losers that have no discrete existence of their own.
:lol:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

Voss

Erudite
38,300 hits on google doesn't mean 38,300 individual people are talking about it.
It could just be one guy, spamming a lot.
:wink:

Mostly though you see the same core of people on the various message boards talking about it. That was what I was referring to. The hardcore that care so much.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
That's untrue, Voss. The fans who discuss Fallout over on GameFAQs and GameSpot aren't any of the people we have over here or at DAC.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
...You do realize that there are other uses of the word 'Fallout' than the computer game, don't you? I'm sure there's at least 50k sites on Chernobyl alone listed at Google.

But Fallout still wins... and winning is all that matters :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
... except when Fallout loses than winning doesn't matter or it was brianwashed mroons who caused it to lose. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom