Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Dev_Anj

Learned
So I challenge you to beat it without emulation save states if you think you are some Dark Souls god, because DS has not got shit on it. At least when you're getting your ass whooped you get to listen to a real funky soundtrack though.

Off topic, but I'm pretty sure the skillset of navigating a 2D environment and a 3D one are very different, so that isn't really a fair comparison. I know many people who're great at 2D games but struggle even with the simplest of problems in 3D games, and vice versa. Anyway, I watched a longplay of it and it looks like a solid enough Ninja Gaiden/Contra clone, though it doesn't offer anything too special. Shinobi X is terrible though..

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Speaking of hardcore ass whoopings, has anyone managed to beat The Revenge of Shinobi (1989)? I gave it a shot the other day and made it to stage 4 after so many deaths, but it was too much. It'd take a ninja gamer to beat that game. So I challenge you to beat it without emulation save states if you think you are some Dark Souls god, because DS has not got shit on it. At least when you're getting your ass whooped you get to listen to a real funky soundtrack though.

And no, this is not a game I'd recommend as an older alternative to Dark Souls, that'd probably Ninja Gaiden Black, Blade: Severance of Darkness, or Castlevania: SOTN or something, heck even King's Field, but this ninja game kicked my ass something crazy, yet I'm not sure if it's entirely unfair, just HIGHLY skill-based.

I owned that game as a kid. Got to the last stage many times, never beat it though, mostly because I didn't understand the concept of teleporter mazes.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Toro why the hell are you so aggressive?is it souls 3?

Dark Souls 3 broke me. It's true. I will never be whole again.

Jailers are annoying in a challenging way. Ppl recently bitching and moaning about not being able to play tactically and methodically and shit, well they can knock themselves out in the jailer fights.

I oficially pronounce the most bullshit boss in souls games Champion Gundyr. First of all he's the worst spammer I've ever seen. The windows with this guy are minuscule. Plus only an utter idiot can design a boss where half a second of imperfect timing can mean almost instadeath. There was never a boss like this in DS1 or DS2. Bosses like the Dragonslayer Armour or Gundyr are an obvious offering to the twitch generation worshipping mad frenzy and the thrill of a gamble. I fell in love with the DS1 formula that was about learning the patterns and behaviour and as soon as you got it you could be pretty confident you'd beat the boss. With Gundyr there's no learning, all you need is twitch and luck. Fuck shitty design like that.

Let the the butthurt emote spam come, after two hours trying to beat the fucker I don't care anymore.

Use a summon.

I will be honest, I gave up on pattern learning at Champion Gundyr as well mainly because there is no actual pattern.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The skellies. Is there a certain enchant that do more damage to those guys? Or just keep them from re-animating?

I use a fire enchanted longsword and it did great damage in catacombs. Fire seems to be verry potent this time around, a lot of enemies get a short stagger effect when they catch fire.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Use a summon.

Yeah, I just want to make sure first I did everything I could to solo a boss. Summons are like a huge autowin button, I don't think I've ever failed a boss battle with a summon yet.

You can also cheese him with a rapid weapon.

In DaS/DaS2 if you won a boss fight then you knew it wasn't because of luck and you could destroy that boss. I remember Fume, I died 40+ times on him (for some reason I could not avoid his AOE attack) but once I learned his moves I could destroy him without getting hit. In the end I felt sad for Fume but I also learned to appreciate him as a boss cause I learned a lot fighting him.

In DaS3, what I'm trying to say is that somehow you will lose the boss fight regardless of your skill. A victory is hollow cause 50% of it is pure luck and you will not be able to repeat it right away. There is no fallback tactic for the moment when the AI RNG goes berserk and the boss rapes you with a unreasonable combo.

I'm curious to see how you will feel after you beat him. If you learned anything new about the boss. If it was satisfactory. Small things like this. Anyway good luck.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Undead settlement was quite good from a level-design standpoint although pretty easy (and I say that as someone who's terrible at these games).
When is the game supposed to open up tho? I still have only one path to follow to continue the story. In DS1 there were like 3 ways you could go right after the tutorial, some easier, some harder.

The game never opens up in that way. It's Miyazaki's way or the highway.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm curious to see how you will feel after you beat him. If you learned anything new about the boss. If it was satisfactory. Small things like this. Anyway good luck.

No feelings, I just used a summon and got it over with. Not gonna spend a day trying to avoid being two-shotted in a split second all the time. Somebody posted you can cheese him with a greatshield and being constantly at his side but that's utter bullshit, he basically never stops attacking he'll deplete your stamina faster than you can say fuuuuuu....

On the other hand I felt fantastic after beating the Consumed King, that was also a spammy in-your-face boss but you CAN learn him and beat him consistently-ish. The i-frames ring helps immensly here.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Miyazaki you are a fucking genious:

You teach the players to play with roll spamming and forget about the shields and 20 hours in game you throw them Pontiff Sulyvahn who can be CHEESED with old school hiding behind shield and circle strafing.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well i hit my first hard wall in the new area. I bet there are some side paths i have not found, but DAM i am getting wrecked right now.

lol i am fucking retarded.... i just noticed on my 2nd character that there is option to upgrade your estus flask at bonfire with undead bone shard :negative: and i was wondering on my first playthrough why my estus heals so little and where are some life gems :oops: with 25 vigor i think i needed like 5 sips to get back to full health:lol:

Also if anyone have problems with Abyss watcher just summon Londor Pale Shade. Motherfucker not only beat the shit out of those 2 darkwraiths but than pretty much soloed boss for me. It felt so cheap i had to black crystal him out and repeat the fight :lol:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The bridge to that winter city :negative:

Scared the shit out of me, and then promptly killed me with unblockable attacks.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The feels when I beat the Champion on first try :lol:

What build and technique did you use?

Btw how does the matchmaking system works in the souls games? I'm level 90 now and I'll finish the game soon, will I be able to do some sunbro action afterwards? And what kind of bosses will I be able to be summoned to? I'm guessing only the end-game ones? I don't suppose I could leave my sign at the Abyss Watchers or the Deacons and be expected to be summoned by someone around level 25?

EDIT: One more question, for NG+ I wanna respec and go with a mage, anyone can suggest what gear should I upgrade? How do I actually tell a catalyst is good when there isn't any MagAdjust anymore? Do all the catalysts have the same base damage and the only difference between them is the looks and the weapon art? Also is it useful to stack up FP recovery gear, i.e. carrying a Simple Gem infused shield or is the effect not worth the effort? Any other tips for mages?

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
I was using the Old Wolf Curved Sword+5 and wearing Leonhard's set. Dex 40, Str 25-30, Vigor/Endurance 30-35. The first phase of the fight wasn't too difficult, I kept on dodging and looking for opportunities to get a hit in. Second phase, much more aggressive, I started holding back so I could understand his patterns before starting to take him down. I kept on getting hit by the feet strike until I learned how to dodge it. It's also important to know when it's safe (distance wise) to heal up, and I guess having 13 +9 Estus Flasks didn't hurt either.

As for matchmaking, read the Online Play section of this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663829307

So for example, if you would want to co-op as a sunbro at SL 90, you could do that with people between SLs 51 and 129. For invasions, 61 and 139.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Pontiff was pretty fun, didn't find him to be super spammy, except for that one long combo he has in his first phase. He was the first boss to kill me more than 5 times, but I found the difficulty reasonable, there are several things you can do to make his phase 1 significantly easier, and phase 2 can be zerged down easily as he becomes much more passive. Also killed Old Demon King, was a pretty fun "traditional" souls boss with slow combos and a variety of aoes.

Smouldering Lake overall was shit, Irithyll itself was gud, while the dungeon was too small to really comment on the level design, but the jailers are really well designed enemies who force you to play in ways you usually wouldn't. Hoping for more of that as opposed to "try to twitch dodge my fast 5 attack combo scrub".

Surf Solar cvv artorias, manus, Ornstein & Smough, kalameet, fume knight, Capra demon, sir Alonne and more were some of the best bosses of the previous game and we're all in your face all the time and did the spam style attacks with little room for winding down.

... Literally none of those bosses had any kind of spam attacks, with the notable exception of Manus' combo. Some of them were aggressive, yes, but that's not what we're talking about here. I mean, ffs, Kalameet's longest "combo" is like 2 attacks, how in the world is that spam? Fume Knight is actually the reverse of this kind of enemy design in DS3, as he encourages careful and deliberate roll timing (and often just walking around attacks) rather than mashing the roll button in an effort to escape.

Yeah some of them don't fit for "spam" attacks.

Problem here is that "spam" people like to call here is that they are simply way more agressive than in DS1/2 where after each attack most of monsters had HUGE opening. So you combined circling + behind the shield and you "waited out" attacks learned monster pattern and when you felt "safe" you attacked.

This is why Manus fight in DS1 was so great. Because you couldn't fucking do it this time. You had to grab you balls and go all in instead of waiting for opportunities behind your shield.

In DS3 pattern is different. First of all there is level design which often doesn't give you way to freely test out new mobs because you don't fucking know just what will happen now or maybe something new will came up fucking you up so you usually fight in places where you meet new enemies

Secondly each monster comes with pack of !FUN! moveset that prevents usually people from circling monsters then moveset contains few nasty suprises for people who want to "test out" monster. Like mentioned pot guy who throws at you that pot if you wait long enough, then monsters know how to deal with shielded dudes because their moveset usually comes with moves against shield again we use that pot guy which bashes constantly you effectively sapping out completely your stamina and managing to guard brake you.

So yeah unlike rest of DS games this time testing out monsters if far more harder than earlier and so far at least for me going all in instead of wait out and see seems to be more effective strategy for new monsters (and you meet new monsters constantly every like 15 minutes which is amazing by itself).

Imo designer just studied what people where doing ins DS games earlier and said "you know what ? let's use this against them"

This is why this "SPAM" is prevelent in discussion despite fact that almost each monster will get stuned by most of your attacks effectively stoping them from "spaming" attacks.

Bro, really, you keep repeating this mantra about how the changes are meant to target shield-circles, but I never play Souls with a shield, and my first playthrough is always with some kind of very heavy weapon (currently the Profane GS in DS3) - and I find these changes very annoying.

Souls combat IS about waiting for opportunities, whether you have a shield or not - you either block, dodge, try to range attacks, or sometimes just walk into their blindspot. And the same is true in DS3, except now you are presented with the following choice: Either sit out of range, twiddling your thumbs, until the enemy finishes its 5 hit combo, or try to get the first hit in and stunlock it to death. That, in my view, is boring, simply because there's no middle ground between the extremes.

A lot of what you say just doesn't make much sense. Weird movesets, for instance, hurt non-shield playstyles much more, as shields don't require good timing, which is what is most difficult about reading unfamiliar movement patterns. In another post, you talked about how you rediscovered the backstep as a way to range enemy attacks and how this made you understand DS3 combat. Thing is, that is already what you would do in previous Souls games with any kind of heavy weapon, but it's harder in DS3 because it's harder to estimate the range of weird movement patterns, plus said movements often give enemies more range out of nowhere (see dual wielding Pontiff knights for an object lesson).

Finally, you think that "feeling out" enemies having been made more difficult is a good thing? What are you supposed to do instead, charge in hoping to stunlock them before they do anything? That's fucking retarded, and against the base philosophy of Souls, which always promoted caution and patience instead of reckless bravado. If Miyazaki wants to change that now, I daresay he should design a new combat system from scratch, as this one is ill-suited to this kind of change.

In my view, at the very least, "stunlock them before they stunlock you" combat is a serious downgrade from previous Souls games. For the moment (and I obviously haven't finished the game yet), DS3 has the worst combat mechanics in the series, alongside DeS, which is unfortunate, as unlike DeS, the game is much more combat-focused. A pity, really, as the content itself is exceptionally well made for the most part.

HatTrick

Scholar
Dragonslayer Swordspear is excellent in PVP because retards don't know how to time their rolls to dodge the weapon art it has. I've racked up so many tongues and sunlight medals from killing poor bastards who can't figure it out.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Buy game.

Play game.

Ten minutes in, game crashes.

Find out that this is a known issue and happens if you don't wear a helmet or have the lighting too high when approaching a bonfire.

This can happen at any bonfire.

"Steam refund requested."

It looked good, too bad it's not even remotely playable right now.

Damned Registrations

I don't mind stunlocking enemies being a viable option some of the time. It's better to have a variety of tactics required instead of every single enemy you ever face falling for the old strafe>backstab or bait combo > counter afterwards plans. Even the really crazy spammy enemies aren't bad once in a while. I never really had problems with the crow things for example, I just rushed in and took most of them out before they finished morphing, traded blows with whatever survived easily enough. Trading blows was what mostly got me through Gundyr as well; he just didn't hit that hard for most of his moveset, which set him apart from something like the Artorias fight where you really would just get combo'd to death if you got clipped once. In fact, almost nothing seems to be able to combo you in this game if you're earnestly trying to roll out of it; aside from a couple of really bizarre timings here and there.

Damned Registrations

Well this is annoying. Cripple knight is basically impossible to take down as a pure sorceror AFAICT. I mean, it's technically possible, but jesus christ, this is an insane handicap.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Found a creature from Lars Von Triers mind:

E94082A128D7AD3AE728E9D4DB1220EDA3FDD3A5

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
+5 demon fists are fucking garbage, same thing with the rest of the legendary weapons, since they cant be upgraded or buffed. Use a Dark Sword or a Butchers knife if you're using strength.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Buy game.

Play game.

Ten minutes in, game crashes.

Find out that this is a known issue and happens if you don't wear a helmet or have the lighting too high when approaching a bonfire.

This can happen at any bonfire.

"Steam refund requested."

It looked good, too bad it's not even remotely playable right now.

I KNEW it had something to do with my helmet!

Everything was fine. But the second I took my helmet off at firelink the game crashed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom