Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire: Will it be released this year?

Andhaira

Arcane
http://www.grimoiresystems.com/

Anyone know if it will be released this year? And does anyone know why the 2005 launch was delayed? It was even previewed by Corwin from rpgDOT and set to be released.

I am one of those whose been on this since the 90's; wow think of all the games that have come and gone, and all the technology that has evolved. The really scary thing is this was actually supposed to be a 'retro' game in 1994 (that is just 1 year after Ultima 7 Serpant Isle was released, around the same time as Lands of Lore and ROA Blade of Destiny, before Ultima 8 and ROA Star Trai)

In fact, its even before Windows 95 was launched, one of the biggest milestones of the modern world. Really makes you wonder eh? :shock:

Apart from the retro thing, if the animations and art in this are comparable to Lands of Lore, has good writing fro npc's, maybe some dialogue/plot choices, decent non 3D enhanced (manually drawn) spell effects, iit could actually be quite good.

i am aware of the issues with Blakemore but lets try to keep them out of this thread and just focus on the game ok. (Doubts it will be done but hey)

I hope its not delayed so he can work to make it compatible with VISTA... :roll:

Micmu

Magister
Is something still cooking or someone stole the domain?
The page has been dead for a while and now it's back. Without forums or any info.

Andhaira

Arcane
If you click the link you will your answer...(I think its pretty obvious Cleve Blakemore put up that page.)

Amasius

Augur
Andhaira said:
Apart from the retro thing, if the animations and art in this are comparable to Lands of Lore, has good writing fro npc's, maybe some dialogue/plot choices, decent non 3D enhanced (manually drawn) spell effects, iit could actually be quite good.
Comparable to Lands of Lore? I really doubt that. Westwood had some very talented artists and how could Cleve afford that? Just look at the liked site - not very professional, right? I also doubt that he is a competent writer so probably the only worthwhile thing about Grimoire could be a wizardry-like combat system. But after all that would be a nice thing. Lets wait until Xmas 2007. Or 2008. Or...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Who knows. I think Corwyn beta tested the game a couple years ago, so we know its not vaporware. But Cleve is a nut, so he could just never release it.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Amasius said:
Comparable to Lands of Lore? I really doubt that. Westwood had some very talented artists and how could Cleve afford that?

We are talking about Cleve "Titanium Bones" Blakemore. When a car crashes into this man, the car gets damaged, not the man. I am sure the US military is willing to pay at least a little for his ultimate warrior DNA. He will be the prototype for the cloned super soldiers of tommorrow!

Amasius

Augur
copx said:
Amasius said:
Comparable to Lands of Lore? I really doubt that. Westwood had some very talented artists and how could Cleve afford that?

We are talking about Cleve "Titanium Bones" Blakemore. When a car crashes into this man, the car gets damaged, not the man. I am sure the US military is willing to pay at least a little for his ultimate warrior DNA. He will be the prototype for the cloned super soldiers of tommorrow!
So he is hiding in his bunker not to seek shelter but to protect the rest of mankind? That's very kind of him.

DemonKing

Arcane
I actually think it's possible this game has been around longer than Duke Nukem Forever...I remember getting mildly excited by the concept back in 1997 when it first came to my attention (back then Grimiore was early '97, Grimiore II late '97 and Griomiore III 1998 - according to the game's website!).

Cleve has been rather quiet of late though...almost too quiet. No racist rants. No Dissing of Wizardry 8. He's just holed up in his bunker. Maybe he knows something we don't????

Kraken

Scholar
Cleve Blakemore is truly messed up, I almost miss the Rex-Cleve fighs. I won't believe Grimoire will ever be released until I actually see it, and even then I'll never play it since I refuse to support someone like mr. Blakemore.

Andhaira

Arcane
Amasius said:
Andhaira said:
Comparable to Lands of Lore? I really doubt that. Westwood had some very talented artists and how could Cleve afford that? Just look at the liked site - not very professional, right? I also doubt that he is a competent writer so probably the only worthwhile thing about Grimoire could be a wizardry-like combat system. But after all that would be a nice thing. Lets wait until Xmas 2007. Or 2008. Or...

Thing is animation and art programs have come a long way. So basically, one person with a good art program could, hypothetically replicate the LoL animations/grafix.

Only thing is that these days those programs are for 3D animations and rederings, not handdrawn 2d such as LoL; but on the bright side since Grimoire has been in the works since so long its quite conceivable Cleve got some LoL type of art.

Another thing to consider is that Cleve did work on Wiz 7 and then on the early verison of 8. So he did have contacts in the industry, something many indie programmers do not.Plus he is from that 'era' (MnM, wizardry, EOB, Ultima Underworld, etc)

One thing about LoL that was amazing for its time was how the creatures you fought moved around and followed you, patrolled a certain area, etc and did it all in extremely fluid animation. Much superior to MnM etc's animation-less monsters. (which only had an attack animation usually)

Oh and for another look at perspective, Grimoire was announced 1-2 years after Arena was released. ;)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
is this some sort of freeware or what
The neon baby on the link is just pure Lulz.

Andhaira

Arcane
You know, the music on the grimoire site is pretty sweet, very retro; very Ultima
series-ish.

I wish he would open up the site you know, maybe drop by a few of the latest screen's, something with spell effects, etc. People have been waiting for this for 13+ years.

kris

Arcane
That website looks like a pisstake on the game. Calling it "forever" and having the golden baby saying "indeed". considering the lack of additional info, even moreso.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
kris said:
That website looks like a pisstake on the game. Calling it "forever" and having the golden baby saying "indeed". considering the lack of additional info, even moreso.

Shagnak said:
At least ol' Cleve has a sense of humour. "Grimoire Forever" indeed.
Indeed :)

Let's face it. This fucker is never going to be released. But I sure as fuck want to try it.

Should've followed up certain offers for "demo" from certain beta testers grumble grumble

:drunk:

Keldorn

Scholar
According to IGN's release dates, the Grimoire System's PC RPG "Wake Of The Comet" is due out before 2008.

"An isometric survival horror game set in an apocalyptic world of the undead after a mysterious comet has passed the Earth showering it with alien microphages. In the tradition of FALLOUT, RESIDENT EVIL and X-COM, featuring turn-based combat and a 3D engine for realistic physics and dynamic colored lighting."

Is this the game you all are referring to ?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Nope. We're referring to a game actually called "Grimoire".
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/preview ... hots.shtml

Cleve has spouted many a game idea. A "Fallout-like" one was one of many touted games that will fuck rivals (read: original games that he will clone) up the arse..
And yet another that will no doubt never see daylight.

EDIT:
those screenies actually look pretty good. LoL rivaling even. Yegads. Why won't this fucker accept help from non-survivalist, non-ubermensch, sane people, so Uncle Shagnak gets to play more old school stuff before his liver gives out? Hmm?

EDIT2:
We need Grimoire avatars, stat!
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/preview ... orts_s.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
omg omg omg it's coming THIS X-MAS omg omg!!!!!

I can't wait! I looooove dungeon crawling...

Sure, it might just be a joke by that guy, but... if it isn't... praise our Lord Saviour Jesus!

mondblut

Arcane
Andhaira said:
Anyone know if it will be released this year?

Doubtful.

Andhaira said:
And does anyone know why the 2005 launch was delayed? It was even previewed by Corwin from rpgDOT and set to be released.

It had several gamestopping bugs in NPC conversation scripts. Cleve decided to switch to yet another scripting language and rewrite the conversation routines.

Andhaira said:
this was actually supposed to be a 'retro' game in 1994

In 1997.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I swear to god, this and DNF will be the best games ever. Once they're released. Which might well take another decade or two.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
I swear to god, this and DNF will be the best games ever. Once they're released. Which might well take another decade or two.

Don't rush them, they need time for bugfixing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. And to implement sound effects, unlike a CERTAIN OTHER PRODUCT.

Also, Jarly bunny, they are already only bug-fixing as far as I know. The game was pretty much finished a year ago, but there were some bugs with the dialogue, so that programmer dude rewrote the dialogue code with another script language. There also were some minor bugs in the beta-test, like empty chests or a game-ending bug at the first shopkeeper, but it's strange that fixing them took a year.

Also, why does everyone make fun of the programmer/developer dude? Is he a murderer? Rapist? Or even a furry?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom