Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EVE / CCP wants players to have more say so

psycojester

Arbiter
Also, imagine the uproar if WoW - or any of the other big MMO's for that matter - went offline for an hour everyday. They seem to be able to manage it without the world coming to an end and the entire server crashing.

World of Warcraft: servers offline for maintenance for 5-6 hours every Tuesday. THE SCANDAL!

meeneque

Liturgist
Codex 2013 Wasteland 2
OccupatedVoid said:
I would try EVE again if it wasn't so damn expensive.

You still have the 14-days trial option. And after that you can legally buy Game Time Codes for ingame currency.

P.S. for the people that played EVE year or so ago. It changed a lot, so it is worth chekcing :)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
psycojester said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Also, imagine the uproar if WoW - or any of the other big MMO's for that matter - went offline for an hour everyday. They seem to be able to manage it without the world coming to an end and the entire server crashing.
World of Warcraft: servers offline for maintenance for 5-6 hours every Tuesday. THE SCANDAL!
I'd actually prefer a one day per week down-time than the current one hour per day. At least then I have a whole day where I don't play Eve and 6 other days where I can play at any time, uninterrupted. Rather than one hour down-time every day happening slap bang in the middle of my usual prime playing time.

meeneque said:
P.S. for the people that played EVE year or so ago. It changed a lot, so it is worth chekcing :)
Is it just me or has the price dropped substantially? I distinctly remember it being $40 USD a month and now it's dropped to about $15 USD?

Imah see if I can re-activate my year old account... or probably start again and see how long I last this time.

Andrej

Liturgist
Edit due to retardation:

EVE was never 40 USD/month as far as I know, but it's about that cost the first time around that you buy the game.

made

Arcane
Every now and then, when I read something about EVE, I get the urge to play it again and fire up the trial.

The game did indeed change a lot over the years. No mining required at the start anymore, the tutorial missions get you a new ship, several hundred k isk and even some implants. On my second day of trial I already had a cruiser, which I remember being quite the achievement back in the days.

But I usually lose interest after a few days again. Ultimately it seems all you do is find ways to earn cash that you can then waste on ships to be blown up in meaningless battles as the only thing you can lose is money and everyone has it in abundance at that point. Unless you're into the scam and intrigue business, but that's not something I would play a game for.

meeneque

Liturgist
Codex 2013 Wasteland 2
made said:
Ultimately it seems all you do is find ways to earn cash that you can then waste on ships to be blown up in meaningless battles as the only thing you can lose is money and everyone has it in abundance at that point. Unless you're into the scam and intrigue business, but that's not something I would play a game for.

Well, so far I believed that EVE is one of most mature MMORPGS, but maybe I'm wrong. Off course until, you get to some (not necessarily big) alliance, well organized corporation or do some serious business it's juts mediocre space game with chat.

But attacking POS (player owned structures), outposts, taking over systems, blocking systems, scouting, black ops, suicide ganks (in empire space) and also some 'RPG' it's all there. Well nobody likes meaningless battles, you just need to find some goal in EVE and follow it, or find somebody with that goal and help him or....

I think the worst thing to do in EVE is to start it with this grind-level up-grind-level up approach. It's playable this way but really boring, and many people left at this point (doing starting missions, mining). I suggest you to read some threads from this
channel, what's really going in EVE (big scale).

And warning - if you going for PVP, for god sake do not take the Caldari race !!! :D

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Shit. I've reactivated my old account and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Somebody give me a corporation to join.

Does anyone here still actually play and can recommend me something?

Andrej

Liturgist
If you match the requirements (posted on the OMG forums) you're free to apply to Ore Mongers, here. I'm not vouching for you since I'm inactive (but planning to come back) and don't really know you.

If you're German and you speak English with a really broad accent, I will however vouch for you because OMG has needed someone to say "If joo do naught tell uz vat vee vant to hear, vee veel keel zie voman" on teamspeak for a long time.

Oh yeah, we're a pirate/industrial corp in the Roadkill alliance currently sitting in 0.0 space. Fighting in 0.0 is also a distinct possibility if you join up.

DefJam101

Arcane
Shannow said:
No grinding in EVE? Yay! Oh, wait a sec. Now I remember my 14 days trial of which I played 5 because of the repetitive quests(=ginding in my book), the slow character progression that forced me to sit on my money because I didn't have the skill to use new equipment and reading books while my ship spent 10 minutes flying from one place to the next...
I'm sure it picks up later on...

Again, if you try to play EVE by completing a bunch of scripted missions and grinding your way to BETTAR SKILLZ it will absolutely suck.

This is the one 'good' MMO, in my opinion. It's like a great book, it leaves everything to the players, without them, the gameworld wouldn't function. YOU create your own content, not the game. There is ZERO hand holding. They give you the world, you fill it up.

That being said, the game has some serious flaws.

One of them being that not everyone wants to log on and have to treat everything like SERIOUS BUSINESS 100% of the time. If everything wasn't SERIOUS BUSINESS the game's economy wouldn't work.

This can be good (immersion and complexity) and bad (long learning curve and extremely intimidating).

Also, the Devs flat out suck these days. They made an amazing game and have been screwing it up the past year. It's a damn shame.

The in-game sportsmanship has deteriorated since the game started getting mass-marketed. People can't accept that WAR is part of the economy. If there were not PIRATES and MERCS then the entire game would collapse. Everything is built on Risk VS Reward, and some people do not understand this.

The skill system is unbalanced. Tech 2 ruined EVERYTHING. Combat used to be about tactics/planning/player skill. Now it's almost entirely focused on skillpoints/fitting.

I feel bad defending EVE because it's

A) Not for everyone.

B) Varying. You might have a great time playing it, or you might not. That's because the game's content comes from it's players. Not all of these players are 'good' players.

C) FUBAR'D. The game is not as good as it was 2 years ago. Period.

DefJam101

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
meeneque said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Do the servers on Eve still stupidly go offline at that set time for an hour every day?
They do go offline everyday at specific time. But I wouldn't call it stupidly.
That's because it probably doesn't happen right in the middle of your prime playing time. 12 am in Iceland or wherever is not 12 am for everyone else.

meeneque said:
I believe CCP devs, and CCP policies towards the users are ones of the best in the market.
Were those policies developed before or after their devs were caught cheating and giving exclusive items to their favourite alliances?

Also, note that EVE:Online has EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on one server. That's well over 30,000 people on the same server at peak times.

Do you really expect they would be able to keep that running 24/7 without some maintenance?

Not that the game didn't have lag problems, fleet battles sucked with lag. Then again, most people hate fleet battles, personally, I think they go against what the game was trying to portray.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Andrej said:
If you match the requirements (posted on the OMG forums) you're free to apply to Ore Mongers, here. I'm not vouching for you since I'm inactive (but planning to come back) and don't really know you.
Yeah, I might randomly pick an alliance from one of the cargo containers floating around with recruitment messages engraved on their sides.

DefJam101 said:
Also, note that EVE:Online has EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on one server.
Actually I think each system in Eve is a server on its own so when you warp to a different system, you're changing to another server and WoW has way more people than just 30,000 but anywho...

Andrej

Liturgist
EVE works with a cluster of servers, but there's really only one database. WoW has more players on than 30k at the time, but they're all connected to diffrent realms. A single realm in WoW supports less than 35k at one time, more like 2-4k.

DU: I suggest you apply to OMG if you feel like it - they're a bunch of good and friendly guys, mixed eurotrash and gun toting yanks. Active at almost all times. We even got a an aussie or two.

I've heard much about picking random alliances that works out really badly in the end.

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
meeneque said:
OccupatedVoid said:

You still have the 14-days trial option. And after that you can legally buy Game Time Codes for ingame currency.
Can you elaborate on how to do this? =0! Also can i join anyone's corp, I just installed the trial :p.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
NoisyKillerHPB said:
meeneque said:
OccupatedVoid said:

Can you elaborate on how to do this? =0! Also can i join anyone's corp, I just installed the trial :p.
Got 200 mil ISK? Go buy a pass. ;)

In related news, I fired up the trial again. I have a Caldari Merlin and just got a FREE Kestrel.

So if any of you nigras want join me, lemme know. :)

Also, I am corpless.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'd rather just wait for WOD Online.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
What am I supposed to do to kill shit better? I'm talking about the Gurista Pirates that are about the place. My first three months in Eve a year ago were (apparently wasted) spent trying to trade up enough cash to buy a Cruiser and learn the combat stuff after that. I've now decided to buy a Merlin and start mucking around with trying to kill stuff.

So far I've figured out that there are about 12 skills I need to train in order to put any weapons on the damn thing. I've bought a few of the Missile Launcher skills and have started training them so I can learn about rockets and things but I see that almost every weapon requires its own unique skill. Even after learning Missile Operations, I find that actually using a missile requires a separate skill and the skill I need depends on the type of missile I want to use...

Anyway, I have small hybrid turrets and I eventually figured out that getting close to NPC Pirates is a bad idea and that it appears to be better if you orbit them at about 15 kms, firing at them with your rail guns. At that distance, they appear to suck greatly at hitting you while you appear to do quite well at taking them out. I've tried a few of the agent missions too only to find that I can't take on 20 pirates at once doing that (I think they were "Piranha" Pirates or something like that). Am I correct in thinking that my only recourse before I take them on again is to train up a few more skills and get some missiles / rockets?

Also, Warp to zero totally rocks. Is there anyway to make your auto-pilot do that though, rather than having it dump you 10k out?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
too much. more than a month probably. It's not that easy. You can flip burgers for a day and pay 2-3 month sub. How about that?

made

Arcane
Just wondering, because apparently corp CEOs who likely make that amount easily basically play for free.

Andrej

Liturgist
DU: The key that i found while fighting lots of rats (npc pirates) in small ships is to have weapons with greater range than them. And orbiting is always good, gets up your transversal velocity and all that stuff making it less likely the enemy hits you.

Grabbing a caracal with heavy or even light missiles on it is a very good way to complete a few small missions.

Zomg

Arbiter
All the stuff in the high security areas is completely worthless relative to the stuff in 0.0 space, and you shouldn't bother unless you're a grinding addict. Just log on and network with tells and over chat channels until you get into a 0.0 corporation, then log off for two-three months to get some money-farming skills. Then you can log in and make enough money in a few hours in 0.0 to pay the monthly subscription and finance all the gate camping and various bullshit the corporation will make you do that constitutes Eve content.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Summary of EVE:

Plus:
+ One huge server. 30 k people online at the same time. Drama that outscales every other game out there. (I've tried a whole bunch of mmos)
+ Time based training. No godly characters in one day. Takes about a year on average to be good in a carrier.
+ Losses mean something. Ships and modules is expensive.
+ Territory conquering.
+ Market is completely player driven. Every single item is player made, except for skillbooks.
+ Huge fleet battles is pretty damned exciting. You never know when you'll be blown away, unless your name starts with a A or Z. (They sort the kill list alphabetically)
+ You can be a legend if you're successful and be known throughout eve. There's only one server after all.

Negatives:
- Extremely unrealistic physics. This includes ship movement, missiles, guns (transversal velocity), bumping mechanics, speed mechanics(MANY pvp ships going faster than missiles), jamming mechanics (carriers getting pined down by one interceptor). Etc etc..
- One huge server = downtime = EXTREME lag in certain areas.
- Time based training = waiting while doing nothing just to play the game in "decent" ships. note: Decent is subjective.
- Losses mean something: Takes hours and hours to regain what you've lost in eve, unless you're the top 0.01% who manages to accumulate 100+ billion in wealth.
- Territory conquering: With 30 k players spread across the world, it means that you will wake up at 4 am to defend your station.
- Territory conquering mechanics: Absolutely sucks balls. Sit there, turn auto-shoot on, try not to fall asleep. This process takes 30 or so minutes, longer if your capital pilots aren't active that day. You can get 1-10 POS in ONE system to shoot at.
- Market is completely player driven: The market is already established. It is pretty much a 1 in a 100 K chance for anyone to break into the T2 market.
- Speed tanking in group pvp. (Plus if you like unbalanced cookie cutter setups)
- Fleet battles/group pvp battles take too much time. This section is NOT for the casual player, and is ironically considered the core section of eve online.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom