Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Name me the worst part of a game you remember most

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dunno, there's a number of instances but what immediately springs to mind are the first levels of Serious Sam 3.

Sjukob

Arcane
I always thought that Area 51 in Deus Ex was a drag .

Oh and Black Mountain Mines in Arcanum are always tiresome to walk through .

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Divinity Original Sin

The crafting system. I have tried this game twice and currently on the second run. The crafting system contrives to break the immersion of a decent game where you will always ask yourself why are your heroes carrying all this stuff around. It is ridiculous. Pages and pages of flowers, nine inch nails, skulls, sea shells, tea, a mug of water and a lot more.

Without all that crap the game would probably only be 30 hours or so.

Later on in the game you can make so much cash you can buy everything you need from the shops. Even a cleric in your party can remove the need to make healing potions.

Barrels. When did these things become a staple of every RPG. See a barrel. Open a barrel. Find 32 gold pieces. Move to next barrel. CLOSED.

MUST OPEN IT.

Wasteland 2. Fallouts. Bioshocks.

I am a level 50 hero of legend. I must search this box for a handful of gold pieces.

A user named cat

Barrels. When did these things become a staple of every RPG. See a barrel. Open a barrel. Find 32 gold pieces. Move to next barrel. CLOSED.

MUST OPEN IT.
Have you played Drakensang? I can only imagine how many OCD players were driven insane by the onslaught of barrel loot in that game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

MUST OPEN IT.
Have you played Drakensang? I can only imagine how many OCD players were driven insane by the onslaught of barrel loot in that game.
I don't know what goes on a designer's mind when they do that kind of thing. Even in a game about scavenging loot, which is rarely the case to begin with, it's a much better solution to simply press a button to scavenge the general area.

Dead Guy

Cipher
Risen endgame. Borderlands. Game Dev Tycoon.

The first mission of Operation Flashpoint: Red River, involves sitting on the back of a truck for 5 minutes listening to a bunch of retarded American hoo-rahs, and you'll probably have to do it multiple times since the game is so prone to crashing. This is probably the single worst experience I've ever had in a computer game, or at least in the top 5 if my mind has erased my memories of something even more awful.

Others have already been mentioned, fucking sewers.

Fallout 3 vampires.

Age of Decadence after you talk to this merchant who wants to sell you stuff in a secluded place.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
King's Quest 3 mountain pass.
And comparable maze sequences in Sierra games.

Also first riding level in Gun. The gun turret section in river ship before it was terrible too.

Excidium: Fallout 2 ToT+Arroyo
Excidium: when I was a kid and played it for the first time I gave up tehre
Excidium: i was like
Excidium: where the fuck are the roobots and the guns
Excidium: there's only spears and shit
Excidium: and scorpions

That's funny. I always thought that fallout 2 lost some of it's charm after you got guns instead of primitive weapons.
(Though I played 2 way before I got my hands on Fallout 1)

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just remembered a golden one, though probably only a handful here know of it.

Total Eclipse 2 (the FreeScape engine game from the late 1980s) had an invisible maze. Fuck.dat

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
As someone who loved Lands of Lore 1 & 2, I hated the moment in LoL 3 where you enter into the Command & Conquer dimension and explore the Nod base. Because that's when I truly realized that the game was utter shit.

Beastro

Arcane
The Goblin dungeon in Dungeon Siege.

Fucking card game in FFVIII.

The Second level of old NES TNMT.

Some old NES game whose name I've never tracked down. You start in a dungeon at the beginning and need to fight out of it to get to the open world, but was too rough as a kid, needed my cousin to get me out of it first every time.

That's just swapping one bizarre, illogical conclusion with another bizarre, illogical conclusion. If the tribe didn't build it, who did? Who decided to build a pyramid in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere and do absolutely nothing with it but stuff it full of Indiana Jones-tier traps and pitfalls? This isn't Cairo, it's fucking Southern California.

[nerd voice] voice "Actuuuually, that would be Northern California. Arroyo is by Madoc and Redding which is near the Oregon bordeeer.[/nerd voice]

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
anyone who says the temple of trials is literally a retard, literally takes less then 10 minutes to complete

auuuuuutism

pippin

Yeah, the temple of trials is p. short and easy. I really thought I was in for something really retarded when I played FO2 for the first time, but it was just a tutorial area. The only thing that has to be said about it is that Black Isle was forced to introduce it because Interplay complained about the lack of a tutorial area.

sser

Arcane
Developer
That fucking racing level in Mafia.

That's actually one of my favorites. I remember when Mafia came out a ton of people were banging their heads trying to beat it. I never really understood the gripes and I did it with a simple keyboard set up. IMO, the real hard part was driving that super fast car through the city, most of the difficulty in resisting the urge to floor it and going 10x faster than any piece of shit junker the game had been forcing you to drive up until that point.

Also, the end of Risen 1 where the game goes from cool exploration to mindless hack'n'slash ending in an even more mindless boss battle.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

MUST OPEN IT.

You mean the onslaught against barrels? Because you can't open barrels in that game, you bash all of them. No matter what. Even in cities, villages, dungeons. The guards don't give a shit when you destroy trash cans I guess.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So multiple people have said NWN2, but NWN1 OC was waaaayyyyyy worse. NWN2 was far better, and yet still a p. shitty game, that's how bad the first game's OC was.

Like, NWN2 had those awful orc caves. NWN1's entire campaign was basically those orc caves. Good lord what a piece of shit.

Mods were cool though.

orcinator

Liturgist

MUST OPEN IT.

Would it be worse than some of the maps in JA2 mods that scatter tons and tons of empty containers across each map.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if NWN2's orc caves are that bad on their own (they're pretty short after all), it's just that they're the last straw in the horrible first act that has you running around all over the map doing pointless errands just to get through a fucking door. You've just gone through a bunch of awful parts to get to the city of Neverwinter, and when you think it's finally going to get better the game says "fuck you" and pulls the rug from right under you by sending you again to some shit stain on the map to do the most boring shit imaginable.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Worst parts? When a hero fps player joins the enemy team in multiplayer. You know the guy that keeps owning your ass. You can feel the rage increasing after every death until the only thing remaining is revenge. Screw the team objective! Screw to kill/death ratio! Just one kill. One kill to prove that you are more than his personal punching bag and to let some of that built up rage subside before the computer gets trashed in a fit of uncontrollable anger. But... he is too good. He is the fps HERO.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
So multiple people have said NWN2, but NWN1 OC was waaaayyyyyy worse. NWN2 was far better, and yet still a p. shitty game, that's how bad the first game's OC was.

Like, NWN2 had those awful orc caves. NWN1's entire campaign was basically those orc caves. Good lord what a piece of shit.

Mods were cool though.

i dont like nwn 1 at all but as shit as it was it didn't have this

??????????

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom