Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview GameBanshee interviews Jason Anderson

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Jason Anderson

I know we normally don't report pieces titled "[company] MMORPG Interview", but I'm sure we should make an exception here. <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a> managed to score an <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/interplaymmorpg1.php">interview</a> with Jason Anderson. While the main topic was to be the unannounced Fallout MMORPG, the only new info related to this is that "Interplay is working on one MMO", which - if it entails "Interplay is not working on two MMOs" - contradicts previous <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16236">information</a> from Gamasutra. Here's a snippet:<blockquote>GB: In your opinion, do MMOs have the future?
<br>
<br>
Jason: I feel that MMOs are definitely here to stay. They are the thing right now and, in my opinion, they are fun. That is the bottom line with a game. Is it fun?
<br>
<br>
The MMO genre has made it through the fad or passing phase stage and is still around. Whether it will continue in the same form in the future has yet to be seen, but right now MMOs are out there en masse. In contrast, single player CRPGs are slim to none in development and even games that are touting themselves as being CRPGs have turned into action heavy adventure games. And yes, I know V:TM - Bloodlines was one of those - it was built on a shooter engine and we built it to play to the engine's strengths. Plus, I had my heart set on the Vampire vs. Hunters multiplayer part of the game, which sadly never happened.
<br>
<br>
Personally, I believe it is just part of a cycle. One day in the future, some small team, probably an indie developer, will turn out some type of classic RPG that gets everyone's attention. There will be some technology or new innovation that will make it oh so cool and CRPGs will pop back onto the radar and everyone will start making them again. Game development, like many other things, runs in cycles. We just have to wait for it.</blockquote>Read the whole thing <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/interplaymmorpg1.php">here</a>.

fastpunk

Arbiter
This was a good article, glad to see Jason is getting back in the game. He sounds pretty motivated too. I really hope this MMO turns out OK, maybe even break some new grounds ( ? ). Who knows, it might turn out to be the first MMO I will play.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Great interview. Despite the fact that I despise MMOs, I am more than happy that Jason returned to the games industry.

Jason Anderson said:
I love to play single player RPGs, but generally if I go back to the old ones, they feel dated, and nothing new has come out that peaked my interest. I also love Jagged Alliance and X-Com type strategy games, but no one is doing those at the moment either.

We really ought to notify him that Jagged Alliance 3 is already in the works. :wink:

Interview said:
GB: Can we ever expect to see you back in the single-player RPG business?

Jason: Well of course. As I've stated in other interviews, I love games. All types of games. Heck, I'd love to work on a tactical turn-based strategy game too. As I stated earlier, something like that will come along, just give it some time.

I will be occupied with this project for a few years, so it might not be me that rebirths the genre, but it will definitely happen. I have no doubt of that. And when it does I'll be right there with the rest of you guys - ready to play!

:salute:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd tell him not to take any wooden nickels, but considering he's working for Hervé Caen he'll be lucky if he even gets those.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Nice interview. That pool sounds fucking awesome.

Jason Anderson said:
I have always felt that it was one of the few projects that could entice me back into the game industry.

They're really trying hard to keep the "Fallout" bit under wraps, eh? :)

Ausir

Arcane
Would be funny if Herve just tossed Jason the Van Buren designs, maps and engine and told them to make a MMO out of that, in order to make things cheaper.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elwro said:
"Interplay is working on one MMO", which - if it entails "Interplay is not working on two MMOs" - contradicts previous <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16236">information</a> from Gamasutra

It is fair to say that is what that says and the Gamasutra was wrong.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
VonVentrue said:
Jason Anderson said:
I love to play single player RPGs, but generally if I go back to the old ones, they feel dated, and nothing new has come out that peaked my interest. I also love Jagged Alliance and X-Com type strategy games, but no one is doing those at the moment either.

We really ought to notify him that Jagged Alliance 3 is already in the works. :wink:
He probably hasn't been keeping up with the various X-Com clones/variations of recent times either. Or below-the-radar games like Brigade E5, 7.86, and Jazz I Want To Be A JA But I Got Rejected.

Oarfish

Prophet
It looks like Garriot loves MMO development, the greasy old Larper.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Claw said:
Tabula Rasa is out now, isn't it? Does anyone know anything about it? Is it good? Horrible? Anything original?

Word is it doesn't live up to the hype. A few fun new things, but it's a run-of-the-mill MMO with little innovations.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
I beta tested Tabula and it's good at being horrible... nothing more to say about it. Just blah. :shock:

I went from the Tabula Rasa beta to the Hellgate beta to the AoC beta. And I am worried that Conan will be just as poorly implemented as the other two. But since I have spent no more than two hours in a stress test I will hold off on condemning AoC until at least January or so when I am able to log a few dozen hours or more.

Not that I want to condemn it. I am hoping AoC is the second coming....

Texas Red

Whiner
Brother None said:
Claw said:
Tabula Rasa is out now, isn't it? Does anyone know anything about it? Is it good? Horrible? Anything original?

Word is it doesn't live up to the hype. A few fun new things, but it's a run-of-the-mill MMO with little innovations.

:roll:

Wow, a MMO doesnt live up to the hype and expectations.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Claw said:
It was the worst mmo that I tried. While I only tried 5 or so that is still realy bad. It is not good, it is horrible. Don't know about original (maybe having the player manually aim but making a "hit" dependant on numbers so that you have twitch combat not based on player skill...).

EDIT: But I only played open beta so the "real" game is probably nothing like it :roll:

denizsi

Arcane
Paranoid Jack said:
I went from the Tabula Rasa beta to the Hellgate beta to the AoC beta. And I am worried that Conan will be just as poorly implemented as the other two. But since I have spent no more than two hours in a stress test I will hold off on condemning AoC until at least January or so when I am able to log a few dozen hours or more.

Not that I want to condemn it. I am hoping AoC is the second coming....

Well at least AOC will also have a single player campaign before you can hop onto online play, right? That was what they've told last year, I hope it didn't change.

Noceur

Liturgist
Interesting interview, and it's nice to see at least someone being optimistic about the future of game genres that are currently in a real messy and/or neglected state.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
denizsi, from what I also remember reading (last year or earlier this one) the first twenty levels are single-player then you branch out into the MMOGness of it. But from what I understand the single-player is also online.

I'll know more tomorrow :wink:

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I can't help avoiding the irony of a Fallout MMO released by Interplay under Caen has a chance of turning out better than the purely single player Fallout 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom