Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Top 74 PC RPGs of All Time: Boxed Edition

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
inb4 you lose the coin.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
What do you consider "reasonably priced"? Can't imagine there are many of those still around.

Ladonna

Arcane
Now that was a nice nostalgia trip. I have quite a few of them myself, but you have more. After reading that thread, I remember pretty much every time I bought one of those games, but there were so many others with even more interesting things inside. Does anybody here remember the Space Rogue contents? With the spaceship owners guide, and the model of the ship? Damn there were so many different things inside those boxes.

You forgot to mention the smell...does anyone remember that certain smell in the old floppy disk boxes? I think I read somewhere that this was from the magnetising process of the disks. Confirm/Deny?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that was a nice nostalgia trip. I have quite a few of them myself, but you have more. After reading that thread, I remember pretty much every time I bought one of those games, but there were so many others with even more interesting things inside. Does anybody here remember the Space Rogue contents? With the spaceship owners guide, and the model of the ship? Damn there were so many different things inside those boxes.

You forgot to mention the smell...does anyone remember that certain smell in the old floppy disk boxes? I think I read somewhere that this was from the magnetising process of the disks. Confirm/Deny?
I remember Origin's Space Rogue with the cheesy Top Gun wannabe on the cover:

250px-Space_rogue_cover.jpg

I also know it came with a star map, "owner's manual" and starship tech layouts like the Wing Commanders. What I don't remember is the ship model... have any pictures of it?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
mindx2, sir, I salute you for your choice of newspaper. I too am reading the very same publication.

BVVbelZ.jpg

TimCain is a true bro, indeed. He needs some emoticons, yes?

I recently found a German version of this newspaper on ebay and bought it. Meh, I always prefer to have all my collector's items in their original language, but it wasn't expensive so why not. Heh, it might even be rarer due to being in German? :)

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mindx2, sir, I salute you for your choice of newspaper. I too am reading the very same publication.

BVVbelZ.jpg

TimCain is a true bro, indeed. He needs some emoticons, yes?

I recently found a German version of this newspaper on ebay and bought it. Meh, I always prefer to have all my collector's items in their original language, but it wasn't expensive so why not. Heh, it might even be rarer due to being in German? :)

Well, they definitely used to burn things they didn't agree with in Germany, back in the day.

Perhaps your copy was saved because someone
:didntreadlol:

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I'm now contemplating putting my collection up for sale. :negative:

My daughters off to college, and as many here in the ol' US of A know, it can be quite expensive. Since I have complete sets of the Ultima, Might & Magic, Gold Box, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Wing Commander, Jagged Alliance Fallout Quest for Glory, Bard's Tale, series (plus many other series as well as tons of SSI games) all with their clue books/ strategy guides, pre-orders, Collector's Editions, etc. it should hopefully bring in some nice revenue. Fortunately, most of them are already photographed so posting them on ebay will be easy.

It is tough to let these go but I have sold my collections before and when I get the bug to collect again what I end up getting is better than what I had before. I do enjoy the "hunt" as well so... eh, maybe it's that time again to sell. I won't be posting my Kickstarter games as I still feel quite attached to many of them. However, selling my autographed copies of UU & UUII, Wing Commander III or New Vegas will be hard. Not sure when Avellone and Sawyer will ever be in the same room again to sign something like that :P.

If/when I posts these to sell I'll make a separate thread as I know some here may be interested in some of this collection.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Better than me, I threw my huge collection away. Don't really miss it, though I admit it was nice to have at the time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mostly German versions of old RPGs: Realms of Arkania, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum, Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore, Daggerfall (the weird Euro box.) Basically all the RPGs you could get in Germany from ~1992 - 2004. The modern VGA era, basically; none of that classic Phantasm/EGA stuff. I'd love to have had Might and Magic and Wizardry boxes.

Just DOS versions though, and Amiga where applicable (Ambermoon/Amberstar/Albion.)

I am not a collector; just an RPG fan, unlike the really dedicated guys in this thread. To me, just having them and reading the manual was enough; I never preserved them or kept them in good condition.

I also had basically every single console SNES RPG of the time, which was amazing because in Germany, they always came with a "game guide", usually a 100+ page document with all the official artwork. I loved those almost as much as the games, if not more. I remember a really hot summer where I spent the day in an abandoned gas power plant, reading the guide to Secret of Mana. My mom worked there at the time.
15 years later they had razed the plant and built a call center there. I worked there for a while. Hated it. Never work in a call center. Ever.

zelda-spieleberater-fuer-snes-top.jpg

mjOzSzT2POHAhWsDRfly3_w.jpg

mb5qxnd8h-2b-Hc5qzQcHjA.jpg

I love these things.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
You could have sent some of those to me instead of throwing it away, you know. And I'm sure some people would have paid money for them.

I'm not that big of a collector either, but I also liked reading the manual, maps and artwork that came inside those old RPG boxes. Gives me something to do while I'm on the throne.

I had a somewhat big collection aswell, of both console and PC RPGs. Unfortunately I lost about 90% of it when I moved out. I usually never throw anything away, no matter how useless it is. Nostalgia always gets the better of me.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you do put them up for sale and intend to sell internationally, please don't use the ebay global scamming program. It's guaranteed to keep away anyone who's not from USA. Last time it was asking me to pay $18 for a card lulz.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd be interested in buying off something, depending on price. mindx2 you intend on just putting it all up on ebay or doing a Codex local sale?

mindx2

Patron
If you do put them up for sale and intend to sell internationally, please don't use the ebay global scamming program. It's guaranteed to keep away anyone who's not from USA. Last time it was asking me to pay $18 for a card lulz.
I do plan to sell to my friends across the pond. However, I've had issues with shipping in the past. It can get quite expensive to ship to Europe as anything over 4 lbs. has to be sent International Priority as dictated by the US Postal Service. Since I'm not a "business" I can't ship International 1st Class on any package that weighs 4lbs. or more. It helps when I've had buyers buy quite a few games at once as the more you buy the shipping doesn't actually go up that much.

I'd be interested in buying off something, depending on price. mindx2 you intend on just putting it all up on ebay or doing a Codex local sale?

I kind of posted here first to see if there was any interest by my Codex bros. I can send you a list of what I have to offer if you'd like. I haven't set prices yet so I'm open to offers. It's how I'm going to list them on ebay as well, put a "Buy It Now" price but with the option to let people submit a "Best Offer."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom