Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game's pretty good. The secrets are all over the place and they range from modest to pretty damn good (like finding new weapons). I'm playing on the hardest difficult available and it's difficult, but nothing too bad. Mostly wrangle with the imps as they have the highest threat potential at melee and ranged. You nearly get 1-shot if you eat any of the bigger "charge up" attacks. What's interesting is that a lot of the potential upgrades are for dexterous tasks, like climbing shit, weapon-switching, and mod-switching.

Unfortunately, I had to update my drivers to play it which I hate doing as updating drivers always leads to some fucking issues. Case in point, after leaving the game I got the dreaded "driver has stopped responding but has recovered" message. It appears to have no issues at the moment, but that's something my laptop used to do every so often (leading to system crashes).

Also, the game is pretty good looking. Runs very well on my 970/i5 setup.

Edit: and there it is. :x

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Ok, which codexer is this?

6oykqc4.png

How do you know if it's not some /v/igrin from 4chan? If it's because he's got a facebook, there's quite a few memespewing faggots there.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Slowly rolled my way back up the drivers.

Very weird issue.

Would install a new driver, it'd work fine, then after exiting Doom it'd go to shit.

Rinse repeat for other drivers. Would DDU scrub and reinstall to no avail.

Now I'm back on my original driver that the card came with because it goes bonkers whenever I update. :retarded:

Complaing about WooD is pointless.

1. It's NOT Doom/Doom2 sequel and never meant to be, moar like modern fps in Doom 3 aesthetics. Wanna true Doom sequel - play Doom 64 instead (it has 2 unofficial PC ports).
2. Can you guys point out better single player shooter that has been released in past 2-3 years or is going to be released soon? I cannot, maybe if rumors about Bulletstorm 2 were trve...

Last edited:

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Complaing to WooD is pointless.

1. It's NOT Doom/Doom2 sequel and never meant to be, moar like modern fps in Doom 3 aesthetics. Wanna true Doom sequel - play Doom 64 instead (it has 2 unofficial PC ports).
2. Can you guys point out better single player shooter that has been released in past 2-3 years or is going to be released soon? I cannot, maybe if rumors about Bulletstorm 2 were trve...
This is really only recent AAA shooter that genuinely feels like a visual & production update of some 1990s game in terms of its gameplay, speed and level design. People will of course focus on executions, story sequences and some superficial crap since, well, it is cool to hate.

6oykqc4.png
Complains about game being too modern, and points out how story is presented in similar manner as in System Shock 2, one original monster having its hitscan property removed (where focus on hitscan enemies instead of projectile and beam ones is in fact mark of modern shooters), bosses having health bars

SnapMap is indeed limited and closer to simplistic, console friendly tools from Timesplitters and Halo games than to true level editor, but do people really think that old Doom games were launched with powerful editors like DB? Either SnapMap will either get upgraded or id Tech 6 Toolkit will eventually be released some time after DLCs are milked up, mark my words.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Complaing to WooD is pointless.

This is really only recent AAA shooter that genuinely feels like a visual & production update of some 1990s game in terms of its gameplay, speed and level design. People will of course focus on executions, story sequences and some superficial crap since, well, it is cool to hate.

6oykqc4.png
Complains about game being too modern, and points out how story is presented in similar manner as in System Shock 2, one original monster having its hitscan property removed (where focus on hitscan enemies instead of projectile and beam ones is in fact mark of modern shooters), bosses having health bars

SnapMap is indeed limited and closer to simplistic, console friendly tools from Timesplitters and Halo games than to true level editor, but do people really think that old Doom games were launched with powerful editors like DB? Either SnapMap will either get upgraded or id Tech 6 Toolkit will eventually be released some time after DLCs are milked up, mark my words.

someone needs his plant avatar

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Console codes
http://gearnuke.com/doom-heres-use-console-commands-enable-cheat-codes/
To enable console commands on DOOM for PC, you will need to press the tilde (~) key on your keyboard which will bring up the developer console. You can then enter the commands listed below to activate various cheats in the PC version of DOOM.
God Mode: cvarAdd g_permaGodMode 1 (or just type: god)
Infinite Ammo: cvarAdd g_permaInfiniteAmmo 1
Dumb AI: cvarAdd g_inhibitAi 1
Unlock Perks: DebugUnlockPerkByAbility -1
Unlock Perks 2: DebugUnlockPerkByRequirement -1
Draw FPS: Com_showFPS 3
Change FOV: g_fov X – where X is the FOV number

Perkel

Arcane
A friend of mine sent me his video playing and I thought it was pretty crazy, I liked it, at least this video is so much fucking better than those gameplay trailers with a QTE every 2 seconds just to show off. Apparently you don't need to do that

Usually I like random gameplay videos with no voice over like this to judge a game.

By the way, this game is fast as fuck, I'm used to fast FPSes (never stopped playing classic Doom and the Build Engine games, Hexen, etc.) but for some reason this seems way too fast for me. Maybe I'm getting old :negative:

Ok this sold me. Now let's wait for 5-10$ deal

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

So I guess it's good.

Funny how everybody thought this was über shit, but it surprised alot of ppls ^^

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Ok, yeah, I see now going back to the original dooms that this isn't a doom sequel in the traditional sense. I'd argue it is a reboot of the Id first person shooter style adapted to the modern-day scene.

The thing that is grating on me are the arenas, they're too predictable, I get they're encouraging fast paced combat and crazy multi-level combat and while it was cool at first now it's just overdone.

TheGreatOne

Arcane

Gggmanlives recommends it. What's the codex consensus thus far? Looks surprisingly fast paced, but I don't want to take any risks.

Doktor Best

Arcane

This is the dude on Youtube i trust most with shooter reviews as he always called those games shit that were actual shit and is a diehard fan of the important entries to the franchise. I was waiting for his review, and it finally sold me on the game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
this is awkward
looks like this bastard from doomworld forum bring the disease that spread through codexers
Or just old habit from FO3/FO4 where people played elitists while feeding on beth garbage
nothing new under the sun

nadgodziny-15-05-16-47_177yb.gif

One thing is that you don't need to use finishers when you slice them with chainsaw.
Still - the idea of replenishing via melee is dumb. Inb4 "they're videogames, dork".
still sux that rocket launcha is weak like a fart in the wind
Music on the other hand is mediocre but does not feel like a filler (sin of most recent games).

Last edited:

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Have you seen his other reviews? Guy knows his stuff where old school PC shooters are concerned.
His review is great, he even criticizes things that deserve criticism like checkpoint placement or needles platforming.

I have no problem whatsoever in saying this game surprised me completely, it really did. Reminds me of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, probably the last game I remember thinking it would be uber franchise milking shit but I ended up loving it. I still think the original Doom games nail game feel much better (few things are more satisfying than shooting in those games) and the level design was also much more interesting, but this game is pretty fun and solid and you can't ask much more than that in 2016.

Thinking this game was going to be shit wasn't a matter of being a pessimist asshole, Bethesda was selling it like shit, those early trailers with 37h long QTEs at every corner and DX3 like piss filter were awful. The game turned out much better than that, perhaps they heard fans backlash after the first videos? Because it's obviously not the same game, the QTE are like 1000x faster.

So the trailers were shit but also great because they denounced the shittyness and made the devs change the game? :philosoraptor:
I doubt that they made any significant changes due to fan backslash. Game was probably always meant to be the way it turned out to be in the end, problem is that there obviously existed major disconnect between the devs and Bethesda's marketing department. Nobody can deny that marketing campaign was lackluster and misguided.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Lol @ those "oldskool" reviewers. "I grew up playing Doom, Quake and Blood, I really love and miss those old shooters. They don't make em like that anymore. Fortunately I like modern AAA shooters just as much."

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Infi was concerned that two codexers in a row posted this video with "it's gonna b ok game, guise"
GGG guy is surely champignon mushroom on the top of sewage (yt channels, decline enablers, bottom feeders and other AAA defecatenders) but still got few issues.

I didn't saw that screenshot with better brightness, props to see arrow out of darkness

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom