Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
if this game sells well maybe they start releasing good FPS 20 years from now, the gamming industry works on baby steps, very slow baby steps.:M

Or maybe they think: "D44M sold pretty well but not enough. That must be because it wasn't modern enough! D55M should have more cutscenes, crafting, survival elements, open world, more skill trees, episodic structure, micro transactions, light stealth elements, next-gen hair physics and third person perspective. Then it will be a total slamdunk!"

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I guess it's not an awful game. Certainly not one of the worst modern shooters, although that's not saying much to begin with. What bothers me is that it's trying very hard to be something it's really not. It tries very hard to be 'old school' while bombarding you with nonsense like the chainsaw being a QTE finisher, the completely unnecessary character upgrade system and glory kill QTEs that are necessary for survival on higher levels. It will be forgotten in a few months by all the casuals who are hailing it as the messiah of old school gaming.

The MP is absolute shit, unfortunately.

This guy has been cringeworthy for a long time, I do like some of his stuff but this video is really quite obnoxious. He spends 10 minutes talking about himself and how he was a great oldschool Doom/Quake player, and how he made the very first first impression video of Doom 3 that was hosted on Fileplanet (lol) and so on and so forth... then he goes on to praise the shit out of Half Life and Half Life 2 (which he says is better than the first one and that there are no cutscenes in those games), and by extension Doom 3 - what a joke.

He doesn't get the point of Doom 1/2, says they're mindless games with nothing but rooms full of monsters, he clearly does not understand what made those games great, level design, pacing and atmosphere. Anyone who talks about the original Doom games and doesn't mention level design is full of fucking shit.

Another portion of the video is him talking about how top-level Quake players such as himself (times must have been good during those small pond years, I guess I could call myself a top notch Quake player too since I played in local
tournaments in 1997, right?) are bound to kill themselves due to the rocket splash damage when you're rocket jumping. Just absurd shit like that...

I think at the end of the day, Mack is actually a closet popamoler, he just doesn't want to admit it and ruin his imaginary oldskool streetgaming cred.

I'd give D44M a try but not a 60$ try.

>I made some internationally famous level for Doom
>I started some youtube fad and carmack knows me
>I'm such a pro competitive Quake player that I accidentally kill myself rocket jumping like a dumbass. In fact I'm so pro at FPS I almost never die except by suicide.
>I also hate Quake and Doom 1/2 and stuff, fuck those mindless shooters, HL2 and Doom 3 were the best

Could this guy be any more of a try hard?

Edit: Great Deceiver already hit most of the points I see

I think at the end of the day, Mack is actually a closet popamoler, he just doesn't want to admit it and ruin his imaginary oldskool streetgaming cred.

That would be the impression I get from this video.

Space Insect

Arcane
That guy's voice either makes me want to cut off my ears or cut off his tongue. And that was before I started listening to what he was saying...

Doom is... souless
:prosper::prosper::prosper:

Roderick

Savant

that video is somewhat sad in a sense. He usually does nice fun videos which I liked, giving deserving shit to many games. But this was really bad... How can you call DOOM 1/2 "soulless"? HL2 being better? fuck off

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I stopped watching after listening to yet another brit voice. Do all of these reviews have brits? But it was mostly the word 'fluid' at 00:00:14 that put me over the edge. I hate that word. I dislike that word more than I detest the word 'trigger'. Using the generic word, 'fluid' to describe something means you're pulling shit out of your ass to sound smart without saying anything meaningful.

'Fluid' controls! 'Fluid' gameplay!, 'Fluid' movement! A 'fluid' situation! 'Fluid' dynamics! It's all fucking 'fluid'! Everything is 'fluid'! The war in the Syria is fluid! It's like water, man, the game is like water! It's fucking fluidity! It's awesome!

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I stopped watching after listening to yet another brit voice. Do all of these reviews have brits? But it was mostly the word 'fluid' at 00:00:14 that put me over the edge. I hate that word. I dislike that word more than I detest the word 'trigger'. Using the generic word, 'fluid' to describe something means you're pulling shit out of your ass to sound smart without saying anything meaningful.

'Fluid' controls! 'Fluid' gameplay!, 'Fluid' movement! A 'fluid' situation! 'Fluid' dynamics! It's all fucking 'fluid'! Everything is 'fluid'! The war in the Syria is fluid! It's like water, man, the game is like water! It's fucking fluidity! It's awesome!

For me it was 00:00:09 when he said "shooter experience". If you refer to a stupid video game as an "experience", then you are probably a waste of genes.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
"shooter experience", yeah, good catch. I survived five seconds longer than you did. I'm still determined to play this game though. Might be good for a rum and beer soaked loud weekend.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm kinda enjoying the single player but they really gone over the edge with "Glory Holes Kills". EVen half of them runes are about fucking executions...
Also demons are fucking ugly and far away from intimidating

Israfael

Arcane
Now i'm pretty sure that multiplayer was created as an afterthought with assets of the already-made single player campaign. Probably the game was supposed to be SP only, but Todd and pals decided to squeeze even more money considering that many people complained that there was no online mode for TNO and Old Blood.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The WAB guy is legit because he thinks Half Life is better than Doom.

Case closed, your honor.
The WAB guy also called Overwatch 'deeply tactical.' Stopped watching him. His reviews have devolved into 'Triple A games I like' without any sort of consistent logic.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Original Doom monsters were sprites. Their look was only limited by sprite resolution, and the 8-bit color palette. But really, they looked pretty much exactly they way they were envisioned, especially given how several of them were scanned from physical clay models.

They had no polygon count limitations, no effect/lighting limitations, because they were SPRITES. You can make a sprite into pretty much ANYTHING.

So why the fuck don't Doom 3 and 4 monsters look even remotely like their original selves?

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
dont be pricks

I also disagree with him most of the time but he sounds so desperate for something not shit that it's fun to watch

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Now i'm pretty sure that multiplayer was created as an afterthought with assets of the already-made single player campaign. Probably the game was supposed to be SP only, but Todd and pals decided to squeeze even more money considering that many people complained that there was no online mode for TNO and Old Blood.

Pretty much. The MP can't decide what it wants to be either. Bethesda made a big fuss about bringing back the arena shooter, and then we get loadouts and other drek.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom