Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

kickstarter you most regret (giving money to)

most regret

• Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Underworld Ascendant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Banner Saga

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Bard's Tale IV

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Star Citizen

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 34 28.8%

• Total voters

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
Voted other becaue no "none" or "kingcomrade option".

Reason: Poll not public.

:rpgcodex:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I completely understand that many people feel they've been burned by it too many times (and that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to problems with the way KS works), but you wouldn't consider pledging even to some future projects by tried and true gentlemen such as Whalenought_Joe, Pyke or Blackthorne?

I heard that Pyke guy is a hack.

Nvm the shitposting, how long till your expansion/thing is finished for Stasis?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hard to tell, with exception of the ones that weren't released yet, all of them disappointed on some major way.

Wasteland 2: You control a group of rangers on a crazy and unforgiving wasteland but Wasteland 2 is crazy and unforgiving on all the wrong areas and derivative RPG 101 on the areas it should shine. The game is a mess that could turn out much better if InXile expent more time and talent on it, if feels like an unfinished game where a coherent design was never agreed upon before release. If is better than Wasteland 1? Yes, but unless you are an apologetic shill with a bureaucratic mind that shouldn't be an excuse for mediocrity. This game needed a more coherent design on its systems, level design, lore, story...

Pillars of Eternity: Again, another kickstarter where developers do the whole thing "Hey, it is isometric and RtwP,we never promised to make an outstanding game, we accomplished exactly the minimum we said on the kickstarter so you can't sue us, .". PoE suffered from the same syndrome Wasteland 2 did (not an excuse, Obsidian worked with tight budgets before and it released better products.), there is no coherent design behind it, on the lore, on the world, on the level design, on the encounters and unfinished content... there is a mish mash of ideas that don't make a coherent thing where you recognize some tought was placed behind it, some ideas come from the old IE games just to check the nostalgia boxes, others come straight from the modern popamole RPG design playbook and they mix as well as you can expect.

D:OS: On RPGs, immersion is important, sure, Bethesdards give the word immersion a bad name but this is exactly what is lacking on D:OS. The world feels random, the setting isn't interesting and manage to be even more generic fantasy than fucking Forgotten Realms. D:OS is the game with the weakest writing from the big ones, while the other kickstarters have shitty writing, they sometimes deliver, what can't be said of D:OS. D:OS writing can't be taken seriously and I'm not talking on a grimdark sort of way, if this game had wonderful jokes and parodies like on worlds like Discworld, all the seriousness could be thrown out of window in favour of witty comedy. The problem is that the jokes on D:OS feel like they were told and somebody forgotten the other half of the joke so you have funny moments one after the other that don't go anywhere and just destroy your suspension of disbelief.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Spaceventure. It's been like 5 years. All they have released is a terrible mini-game. The final game might end up being good and all, but I'd rather have my $250 back and just buy it on release. I thought that fucking game was going to be out 3 years ago.

Also, Shenmue III, just because I donated when I was really, really drunk. I've barely even played the shenmue games!

grimace

Arcane
None of the kickstarters I've backed have reached 101% complete status yet.

Also, insomnia right now its suspicious.

What's the deal with this InSomnia?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1892480689/insomnia-pc-max-linux/description

Related: I regret NOT giving to Serpent in the Staglands.

Same. I backed Copper Dreams.

Spaceventure.

Or Shroud of the Avatar.

Got a shiny Royal Founder account you're not using?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wasteland: 2, easily. Bought the stupid ass collector's edition and everything. Not even the DC helped save this game. It's garbage. Then the company goes on a suing crusade against a small developer. Totally regret giving money to this monster of a company.

PoE with the 3.0 patch is actually pretty damn good. Pre-3.0 it was a bit of a mess, but they really refined the game. Having a lot of fun with it, and I will definitely back PoE: 2 when they get the Kickstarter up (if they do go that route).

I regret not backing Expeditions: Conquistador. Pre PoE 3.0, I would've called this the best Kickstarter game I've played. Really, really fucking good game.

Executr

Cipher
I only backed two Kickstarter projects and I wish I hadn't.

Elite Dangerous: After the always-online announcement, just before releasing the game, I applied for a refund. 3 months and a bunch of support tickets later finally got it.

Limit Theory: Given up hope of ever seeing the game or my money.

Unwanted

GameGear

Unwanted
Not enough Shadowrun hate (I paid money for the first, yet still had buyers remorse for Dragonfall and Hong Kong despite getting the other two for free)

Linear shit with an unbelievably terrible interface. The custom content also blows my left nut in all three iterations.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Pillars of Shitternity is a crime against mankind and betrayal of all things Codexian

Treachery in beatdown city - looks like it's vapourware

Which scenario is worse? Taking gamers’ money to deliver horrible games and dumb down the industry even more, or never releasing them at all, but keeping the current level of decline? Discuss!!!

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I've never seen Kickstarter as a pre-order service. I see it more of a way of supporting talent that can't secure funding for their projects.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Pillars of Shitternity is a crime against mankind and betrayal of all things Codexian

Treachery in beatdown city - looks like it's vapourware

Which scenario is worse? Taking gamers’ money to deliver horrible games and dumb down the industry even more, or never releasing them at all, but keeping the current level of decline? Discuss!!!

The scenario is worse when they don't deliver anything clearly.
Imagine a 100 Cleves draining money out of game investment and generally fouling up the supply.

A shitty game delivered might still provide something for your money, kickstarters where they have no real chance or (doublefine) where they have had problems sticking anywhere near to budget should be discouraged. Some of that definitely has happened now though with newer kickstarter projects (yes I'm aware there are still some batshit crazy ones like that Patrick Rothfuss board game) having higher scrutiny and scepticism as the default public view.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
That it is what it looks like at first glance, but think about it. The first scenario implies that most players will believe that games like Shadowrun, W2 and PoE are new oldschool classics and that developers like Sawyer will keep being paid under the promise to deliver more “oldschool” games, while they are doing the opposite. In short, it’s making a lot of people believe in a cRPG renascence that doesn’t exist, which is way worse because it is dumbing down even a niche medium. With few exceptions, kickstarter isn’t rewarding talent and promoting oldschool games, instead, it’s rewarding crooks to deliver more popamole games and making everyone believing that these popamole games are any better than triple-A bullshit. Someone could argue that as more and more players keep buying these shitty cRPGs, the more random audience the good guys like ITS and Stygian will receive. That is the furthest thing from truth. In practice, the more cRPG developers keep asking for funding, the more selective players get it with their wallets and their time. Just compare the kind of attention AoD received before kickstarter and now. The skepticism would make the few self-funded projects more welcomed.

photo-original.png

BATTLETECH (idk)
$25.00

photo-original.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 (idk)
$25.00

photo-original.png

Shadowrun: Hong Kong (worth it)
$15.00

photo-original.jpg

Shadow Era: Shattered Fates - Cross Platform Card Game (worth it)
$10.00

photo-original.jpg

The Mandate (idk)
$1.00

photo-original.png

Torment: Tides of Numenera (idk)
$20.00

photo-original.jpg

Barkley 2 - an RPG Sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (vapor)
$10.00

photo-original.png

Planetary Annihilation - A Next Generation RTS (ehhh, they had some really cool ideas, it just wasn't much fun. A less fun Supreme Commander, which is a less fun Total Annihilation)
$20.00

photo-original.jpg

Project Eternity (boring, 50% better if turn based)
$20.00

photo-original.jpg

Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG (def. the worst)
$15.00

photo-original.png

Republique by Camouflaj + Logan (meh)
$10.00

photo-original.png

Shadowrun Returns (Totally worth it, maybe the best)
$15.00

photo-original.jpg

The Banner Saga (boring combat, will try again though)
$10.00

photo-original.png

FTL: Faster Than Light (totally worth it)
$10

photo-original.jpg

Double Fine Adventure (tried once)
$15

photo-original.jpg

Wasteland 2 (I should sell the box, good combat though)
$50

Pasting this from the screen was pretty easy, actually

Stabwound

Arcane
I sort of regret backing Hero-U. Not because it's vaporware - I don't regret giving the Coles money per se - it's just that taking the home equity loan was such a terrible decision on their part I wish their Kickstarter hadn't been funded in the first place and they just abandoned the idea of making a new game - or gone with a retro style a la Wadjet Eye.
Oh holy shit, they took out a home equity loan to complete Hero U? And apparently they have devs working on deferred payment until the game is done, at this point $50k owed to them.

I feel legitimately awful for these two, there's no way this is going to end well. It's like watching a 747 loaded with people slowly falling from the sky.

I mean look at the state this game is in so far

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I sort of regret backing Hero-U. Not because it's vaporware - I don't regret giving the Coles money per se - it's just that taking the home equity loan was such a terrible decision on their part I wish their Kickstarter hadn't been funded in the first place and they just abandoned the idea of making a new game - or gone with a retro style a la Wadjet Eye.

Also where the hell are my Frontiers, SpaceVenture and Barkley 2.
Wow, I looked up that project. While skimming through the comments, I ran into this statement.

It's interesting that almost all of the refund requests have been from $20 backers. Apparently some of those thought that they were buying a game rather than contributing to the development of a project. Everyone at higher levels understands that a Kickstarter pledge is a way of funding a project, not a product purchase.

Yeah...

DramaticPopcorn

I only backed D:OS and as much as I despise Larian for overpromising and underdelievring with the whole editor aspect of it, I didn't hate the game that much. Still, I probably wouldn't back it without those promises.

talan

Augur
Wow, I looked up that project. While skimming through the comments, I ran into this statement.

It's interesting that almost all of the refund requests have been from $20 backers. Apparently some of those thought that they were buying a game rather than contributing to the development of a project. Everyone at higher levels understands that a Kickstarter pledge is a way of funding a project, not a product purchase.

Yeah...

For the second KS, they had in their $20 pledge as:
Double Time (value $50):
- For 2nd time Hero-U backers only!
- Does NOT include the game
- Digital Hint Book
- Digital "Art of Hero-U" Book
- Digital Hero-U Soundtrack
- Beta Test access
- Receive a special Thank You
- Access to project updates

Whilst the keen eye sees 'Does NOT include the game', you'd imagine some % assume a $20 pledge include the game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom